General / Off-Topic New Phone. OnePlus 6 (128gb) or Huawei P20?

So, time for a new phone. Ye Olde 2013 Nexus 5 has died. Mostly. It overheats really bad (to the point you can burn yourself on it!), and often just stops charging (dodgy USB port?), and it's slow as hell now (even after a factory reset). But £300 and almost 5 years later, I can't complain, I got my money's worth!

My new budget is £500~, and I've narrowed it down to the OnePlus 6 128GB for £519. OnePlus 6 Specs
Or the Huawei P20 (not Pro) for £479. Huawei P20 Specs

They both have all the features I want in a phone. Large storage, fast, large screen, but no silly high resolution, really good camera with plenty of features and slow motion.

The main differences are;
The P20 is slightly smaller, which is probably more comfortable, at 5.8", instead of 6.2", for both hand and pocket.

The OnePlus 6 has a slightly better processor, lots more RAM (8Gb in instead of 4GB) and AMOLED screen.

Using a slow Honor thingie, I quite like Huawei's UI, over the OnePlus' rather bland UI.

P20 fingerprint scanner is on the front, OnePlus 6's is on the back. Not sure which I prefer. Lol

P20 doesn't have a headphone jack. OnePlus 6 does.

So, decision time! I can't make decisions... I need help!
What would you choose, or are there more options I've missed?

CMDR Cosmic Spacehead

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
S9+ owner here and if your budget can stretch to it I love it.

Amazing camera, not too massive, quick & looks stunning.

Best thing to do is pop into a shop and see what they look and feel like before pulling the trigger.

Eek, at £769 that's too expensive. Lol

I've fiddled with both, and my current phone is about the same size at the P20, and is comfortable to hold and use.

Just not sure about this lack of headphone jack. I don't like some changes. Lol
It does have a USB-c to headphone jack adapter though. But then how do I charge and listen at the same time? Lol

Edit:
I just found out. You can't. Lol
There are no (working) adapters to allow the USB to do headphones and charge at the same time. I use my headphone jack all the time in my car and van to play music while driving. Neither car, nor van has Bluetooth, or even aux in. So I have to use a dodgy radio adapter. Lol
And because I use my phone as my sat nav, it needs charging quite often.
For work, that would be annoying switching between music and charging, because my phone won't last 8 hours of music and sat nav use.

I could buy a Bluetooth radio adapter I guess. If they exist. Lol

Last edited:
Are you sure you wouldn't be happier with one of these?:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Binatone-M250-Big-Button-Phone-black/dp/B00T0DWOEI

51GsgKN0D8L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

;)

I've just gone from an Iphone 5S to an Iphone 8, happy so far, although I work outside so the customary otter box has made it a larger object to carry around.

I can recommend some creative labs bluetooth headphones as my main concern is the eventual damage to the charging port by constantly switching between headphones and charging. $29.99 from Geoff's place.

Good luck and not to go too OT, i'm guessing good job giving the other phone back. Too much baggage !!

Subscribed. My phone is trash.
I have a donated Honor 7a you can seduce a woman at my work for if you like.... Lol

I found a Bluetooth car radio adapter for £10 on Amazon. So that'll sort the car radio situation. I rarely wear headphones anyway.

Still leaning towards the Huawei P20. I quite like the UI on it. :)

Yes, that your priorities are a bit off.
Aren't you just scraping by?

Why do you *want* something so expensive?
You should be looking at something ~half that price, max, imo.

I know people who work in tech fields and make that much in an hour, and they buy used/refurb phones, lol.

Priorities son!
Yup. Honor 5X. $200
3(?) yrs old now.
Even spending that much on disposable tech ticked me off.
Must be my scottish side shining through.

Yes, that your priorities are a bit off.
Aren't you just scraping by?

Why do you *want* something so expensive?
You should be looking at something ~half that price, max, imo.

I know people who work in tech fields and make that much in an hour, and they buy used/refurb phones, lol.

Priorities son!

Lol, financially, I'm doing better.

I think I've settled on the "never settle" OnePlus 6. £519. Awesome specs.
£19 over budget, but worth it.

I told my girlfriend, and she's like...

"But I want you to have an iPhone, because reasons!"
picard-facepalm.jpg

Me; "...I'll get an iPhone X if you pay the other £650, because that makes sense..."

Lol

So, time for a new phone. Ye Olde 2013 Nexus 5 has died. Mostly. It overheats really bad (to the point you can burn yourself on it!), and often just stops charging (dodgy USB port?), and it's slow as hell now (even after a factory reset). But £300 and almost 5 years later, I can't complain, I got my money's worth!

My new budget is £500~, and I've narrowed it down to the OnePlus 6 128GB for £519. OnePlus 6 Specs
Or the Huawei P20 (not Pro) for £479. Huawei P20 Specs

They both have all the features I want in a phone. Large storage, fast, large screen, but no silly high resolution, really good camera with plenty of features and slow motion.

The main differences are;
The P20 is slightly smaller, which is probably more comfortable, at 5.8", instead of 6.2", for both hand and pocket.

The OnePlus 6 has a slightly better processor, lots more RAM (8Gb in instead of 4GB) and AMOLED screen.

Using a slow Honor thingie, I quite like Huawei's UI, over the OnePlus' rather bland UI.

P20 fingerprint scanner is on the front, OnePlus 6's is on the back. Not sure which I prefer. Lol

P20 doesn't have a headphone jack. OnePlus 6 does.

So, decision time! I can't make decisions... I need help!
What would you choose, or are there more options I've missed?

CMDR Cosmic Spacehead

Hard to beat OnePlus, the build quality is amazing.

Lol, financially, I'm doing better.

I think I've settled on the "never settle" OnePlus 6. £519. Awesome specs.
£19 over budget, but worth it.

I told my girlfriend, and she's like...

"But I want you to have an iPhone, because reasons!"

Me; "...I'll get an iPhone X if you pay the other £650, because that makes sense..."

Lol

Well, your "budget" is an oxymoron, and you've been had by materialism and marketing.

Her reasoning makes about as much sense as yours.

I bought a OnePlus 6 last week, upgrading from an aging Samsung S3.

Yeah the UI isn't fancy but it's one reason the phone is so quick, it's pretty much bare Android with a few minor tweaks.

Was initially looking at a Galaxy S9 but saw quite a few complaints about laggy UI.

Also OnePlus recently committed to 2 years of Android updates, and 3 years of security patches, so you're good till 2020/21.

https://9to5google.com/2018/06/28/oneplus-update-policy-schedule-timeline/

Last edited:
Well, your "budget" is an oxymoron, and you've been had by materialism and marketing.

Her reasoning makes about as much sense as yours.

Honestly, I'm a power user. So my phone needs good horsepower to not infuriate me.
My current phone just gives up if I try to split screen maps/navigation and music, while keeping my secondary navigation app (all for work) in the background. Then if I get a phone call, it's like "Nope". It just reboots more often than not. Lol
Also the camera is slow and crap, and I love taking photos. Nothing worse than missing a good shot because the camera app took 90 seconds to load. Lol
So having a "cheap" phone, that sacrifices power is no good for me.
But spending more than £500 is also just silly. So that rules out every single iPhone with a decent (aka, not tiny) screen.

So the OnePlus 6.
It sacrifices QHD, which I can't see a point in, full HD is plenty for my eyes, wireless charging that I don't/won't use (didn't use it once on my Nexus 5 in 5 years.. lol), and err, that's it.
Brand name doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Yes, it's £500 I could spend or save for something else, but I need a new phone, and spending less would actually just be a waste if it can't do what I need it too.

Glad some of you have a OnePlus 6 though, and think highly of it. :)

CMDR Cosmic Spacehead

Also OnePlus recently committed to 2 years of Android updates, and 3 years of security patches, so you're good till 2020/21.
That by itself would usually win me over. Ongoing software support beyond 18 months is a big plus to me.

However.

It has a notch.
Whoever came up with the notch needs to burn in the fiery rings of Hell.

That by itself would usually win me over. Ongoing software support beyond 18 months is a big plus to me.

However.

It has a notch.
Whoever came up with the notch needs to burn in the fiery rings of Hell.

The notch doesn't bother me. I guess it's a Marmite thing. Lol
You can hide it though, and being an AMOLED screen, it's actually invisible. Pretty neat.

The Xiaomi Mi Mix 2s might interest you though.

The selfie camera is at the bottom. You gotta flip it upside down for selfies....! Lol
Gorgeous looking phone though, especially in white. I'd buy one, but I don't fancy dealing with customs.
Or the upside down camera. Lol

1528872927815383013.jpg

But Apple came up with the notch, so uhh, burn them!
No arguments from me. :D

CMDR Cosmic Spacehead

Get a OnePlus 6 if you want a fantastic phone with a very good camera.
Get a P20 if you want a fantastic camera with a very good phone.

I'll stick with OnePlus, will be upgrading from my trusted 3 next month.

With OnePlus, you'll get specs that easily beat the latest iPhone or Samsung, for just a little over half the price. And the best thing for me is that OnePlus devices run perfectly fine with LineageOS. And that's the best Android experience you can get, if you are ready to spend some time tweaking and tuning around the system.

Rooting with the abilty to hide the root status in front of apps that won't run on rooted devices (Magisk).
A firewall that prevents apps from accessing the internet if / when you don't want them to (AFWall+).
An ad blocker that works systemwide, so that no app (including the browser) can show any ads (AdAway).
Android without Google logging your every step, yet still the Play Store and Google Maps will work just fine.
No apps have any permissions by default, unless I explicitly grant them, temporarily or permanently.
For apps that won't run without specific permissions (e.g. to access your contacts), there is an app that feeds them random data, protecting your privacy (XPrivacyLUA).

And weekly updates and patches, that include the latest security patches from Google.

I love my LineageOS! That's also why I decided against the Huawei - that one has a Kirin chip, and LOS won't run on those.
But a friend of mine has the P20, and the camera is really outstanding for a smartphone camera. So if photography is your game, and system tweaks aren't that important to you, the P20 may be the better choice.

i can only recommend the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry_Priv

physical keyboard, android with regular updates, best security you'll find in consumer grade phones, monster battery, gorgeous screen, lightweight, more than enough power for any app.

i bought it about 2 years ago when my second (second hand) sony ericsson xperia mini pro died, which was imo the best smartphone ever made. a tragedy, but blackberry saved me, who would have thought! well, the priv is not as good (mainly because of the size, and the keyboard was a tad better), but it's definitely second best. i'm going to use it just like the xperia mini, right until it breaks down and is discontinued. it renders other phones just irrelevant :) (woot, you got moar gb and moar gigapixels? good for you ... keep em!)

Top Bottom