Regarding Spacelegs

Let's be practical about this,

Common sense tells us we wont be walking around looking at ourselves right?
So, make the addition as a 1st person view, ( which we already have ), and allow us to see others as they are customized by the Player, which is also in the game's database.
Just add a keystroke assignment for leaving the Ship\SRV and use the same function keys assigned for movement and interaction.
Basically, 1 paragraph of code will solve all the debate over this issue.

Let's be practical about this, Common sense tells us we wont be walking around looking at ourselves right? So, make the addition as a 1st person view, ( which we already have ), and allow us to see others as they are customized by the Player, which is also in the game's database. Just add a keystroke assignment for leaving the Ship\SRV and use the same function keys assigned for movement and interaction. Basically, 1 paragraph of code will solve all the debate over this issue.
Do you mean to also change the CMDR avatar we see in other ships through the window? What are the additional resource requirements for my PC to render each individual CMDR [and presumably NPC] into the instance, do you suppose? That's got to be a few hundred polygons and shaders on an already resource hungry game (I play in VR)

Do you mean to also change the CMDR avatar we see in other ships through the window? What are the additional resource requirements for my PC to render each individual CMDR [and presumably NPC] into the instance, do you suppose? That's got to be a few hundred polygons and shaders on an already resource hungry game (I play in VR)

What about WOW and Elder Scrolls On line, Star wars... you mean they don't have folks running around? just how many people do you think you're gonna see at the same time?, I very much doubt the LOS is gonna be like in a big field, there'll be doors and walls and loading screens, a bit like any other game... leastways I would have thought so anyway.

What about WOW and Elder Scrolls On line, Star wars... you mean they don't have folks running around? just how many people do you think you're gonna see at the same time?, I very much doubt the LOS is gonna be like in a big field, there'll be doors and walls and loading screens, a bit like any other game... leastways I would have thought so anyway.
Different games using different engines doing different things are not equal. I asked the question because I know exactly how Elite hits my system, Vs games like the ones you mentioned. The OP seems to have thought it all through, and even knows the amount of code that would go into it, so I imagine he also knew the ramifications - so I asked.

Lets be honest if a indie company like Hello games can do space legs and make it good along with atmosphere and amazing planet locations, Frontier are kind left wondering, with the amount of budget difference there is right now, I like Elite a lot but with the community wanting atmos: and legs frontier have there work cut out.

Frontier still don't have proper seamless planet transition yet, it still pauses a little for server lagg, the planets may be huge and life size but what's on them couple rocks and space stations that don't look like they belong there. I've said it before Frontier need to stop right now what they are doing and fix things and address things that need sorting before moving on, as this will only create more bugs and broken mechanics.

Since FD guards their code so well, only allowing ports to 3rd party additions they should have included in the game, it is hard to tell how hard or simple it would be to create Spacelegs or any other player wanted features.
I build in Unity and before that, in OpenSim ( Second Life), both of which have the aforementioned player requests. 1st and 3rd person views, ability to operate vehicles, construct and script player builds, swim, fly with or without a vehicle, etc.
I suspect the code needs to be parsed, meaning gone thru and eliminate the duplicates or "older\replaced" code before any advanced coding can be installed in the game.
Patches mean just that, they are layered over the top of the older code instead of deleting the old, the server and your PC has to decide which code to use and which to forget, which causes lag and glitches when the code is too similar.
I don't claim to be a "know it all".
Anyone that says they know everything about code is suspect in my opinion,
Something added can conflict with a paragraph several pages back in the code. A wrong keystroke or character misplaced can and will crash the whole thing.
Its all poke n hope until it is resolved and even then, you have to take into account the various models and ages of PC's and operating systems also.
:rolleyes:

Lets be honest if a indie company like Hello games can do space legs and make it good along with atmosphere and amazing planet locations, Frontier are kind left wondering, with the amount of budget difference there is right now, I like Elite a lot but with the community wanting atmos: and legs frontier have there work cut out.

Frontier still don't have proper seamless planet transition yet, it still pauses a little for server lagg, the planets may be huge and life size but what's on them couple rocks and space stations that don't look like they belong there. I've said it before Frontier need to stop right now what they are doing and fix things and address things that need sorting before moving on, as this will only create more bugs and broken mechanics.

Well but their driving mechanics etc, leave ALOT of other stuff to be desired....so they fail pretty hard when it comes to that.

And you cannot can walk in ships that actually moves, and that is a completely different thing to fix, as I think many who asks for space legs would expect to do multi crew and be ale to walk around in the ship, while it is flying around.

So we are now back to what game engine are they using and what it is optimized for...

( And you cannot walk in ships that actually moves, and that is a completely different thing to fix, as I think many who asks for space legs would expect to do multi crew and be able to walk around in the ship, while it is flying around. )

Actually, that is a simple matter, The interior of the ship is the main focus and the apparent movement of the ship seen thru the windows is an "active" type of green screen of supercruise movement in space which would be mostly space dust particles flying past -
During the time of flight that you decide to walk around the interior of the ship, this aspect would be secondary to the purpose of the walkaround of the ship -
You would have to retake control during any activity, (landing, changing course, combat, etc.) -
Walking around the ship would only be for a WC break or some other sort of nonsense.

Seen a lot of discussion about Space legs, but my question is this: what would we actually use them for?

Wandering round the ship looking for the ship's cat?

Frankly I'm unconvinced about space legs unless there's a good, solid, meaningful set of gaming loop activity that requires that feature. Wandering around is fine for a few minutes, looking at things, saying 'wow, look at this'; but it's a lot of planning, dev work (more than a paragraph of code!) plus testing/QA etc. to get that.

Top Bottom