Bot attack in eranin?

There was a wild inf swing in eranin recently that resulted in a faction i used to support losing the largest starport in the system as well as control of the system.
One of the faction supporters i was just chatting with said that if upnp is not enabled then you cant get into the bots instance and there is no defense against it. Is this true?
Im pretty sure i disabled upnp at one point experimenting with network performance and i dont recall that it made much difference.
Anyone know anything about what happened in eranin?

Devil's advocating for a moment, but why do you suspect a bot?

It's a 450k pop system, and it's a 50% swing towards Eranin People's Party over 4 days. That's not unreasonable if you know what you're doing, even for just one person. I can tank a faction's rep down by 30% in a single tick given the right conditions, no exploits.

What's the traffic report say?

EDIT: Also, maybe do some research. I've observed massive swings for factions before, and found patterns. Often those swings are because:
- Powerplay (noting: it's a Mahon system, and he's weak against Communism for control)
- Farming hotspot (One system I was flipping had heavy resistance... turns out it was a popular rank farming spot)

Last edited:
What do you consider "botting" to be, just out of curiosity?

To my knowledge- it's defined as the use of 3rd party software to exploit in-game advantage without having to actively play the game using provided mechanics.

Is that what you're suggesting happened?

I'm no BGS boffin but I had a look at Eranin on Inara Terran Colonial forces (players) have been steadily declining over about a month and Eranin peoples party (minor faction) has gained lots of influence in the last couple of weeks, the player faction also must have lost or not even noticed a war to lose the station. The system populations also less than half a million which means it's easy to effect influence.

Inactive faction and a random supporting communism maybe ?.

Edit : ninja'd by jamnis.

Actually i wonder about the bot accusation myself. It is a small system and when i used to do a lot of tcf missions i could bump a couple of percent points in a night. The person i talked to said that over a short time the traffic report showed 150 or more cutters, which does seem unusual.

Perhaps its a player group who decided to actively pursue it, for whatever reason. Maybe they're just bored and trying to provoke others.

Be careful of using charged words like "botting", "cheating", etc... IMO Frontier should not take accusations any more lightly than the actions of such... While I don't abide cheats- I certainly don't abide those who accuse others without proof of action, either.

Too often we see people tossing about those terms without any regard for responsibility. There's a huge difference as it impacts the RL aspects of someone's account, not just "in-game actions or consequence". ;)

Actually i wonder about the bot accusation myself. It is a small system and when i used to do a lot of tcf missions i could bump a couple of percent points in a night. The person i talked to said that over a short time the traffic report showed 150 or more cutters, which does seem unusual.

You could easily test it as long as you are willing to get a bounty and notoriety just spank 20 or 30 Eranin peoples party authority ships and see what happens. You should definitely see an influence drop if there's not much active support going on.

Eranin People's Party is the original controlling faction. I'm sure there are a lot of CMDRs who still remember the Eranin War and consider it a travesty that they lost control to a PMF.

Not sure who is responsible for the current change, but it's something I was planning on doing myself and wouldn't have needed any botting to accomplish.

Eranin People's Party is the original controlling faction. I'm sure there are a lot of CMDRs who still remember the Eranin War and consider it a travesty that they lost control to a PMF.

Not sure who is responsible for the current change, but it's something I was planning on doing myself and wouldn't have needed any botting to accomplish.

Ah the good old beta times :D

The travesty was that the system was given to the PMF under the original system, which didn't take lore-heavy systems into account, and inserted the PMF with control of the primary station and 60% influence.

-------------
As others have noted, the TCF seems to have been minimally active for some time (judging by the general long-term decline in influence in the systems they are present in), and while the swing does seem extreme, it's well within the reach of an organised and knowledgeable band of players if there is no resistance.

Note also that during the election there was a swing back to the TCF for a tick or so. That doesn't suggest bots, and instead implies players that thought they had the job done.

Last edited:

Jane Turner

Volunteer Moderator

This^^^ a player faction wouldn't be inserted there in control now, or even at all under new rules (lore and rare goods). TC's protracted war looks to be the cause of the demise of TCF and a bit of opportunistic BGS sniping. I should add it wasn't us.

Aye, it would not be at all difficult for a small group to achieve this and I've spoken to a fair few people motivated to do so. As an early beta player I've been interested in and able to effect the system multiple times, though I've fallen short of being able to flip it alone. It's been trickier due to it's close proximity to the starter system driving dozens of missions a day to whoever the controlling faction happens to be.

On top of TCF being a really inappropriate pick for the system (which Fdev should have reverted long, long ago). Said faction made guarantees to maintain the EPP's presence in system by keeping them in control of Eranin Orbital. A guarantee they reneged on within months and made no effort to address.

What with the Lave situation, it would not surprise me that high profile Alliance systems being targetted.

Lave, Eranin, Leesti, Ross 128 and a number of other systems.
The anti-Alliance crews are working pretty hard.

Some people are framing the anti-Alliance attacks as being retaliation for ongoing work to Re-take Lave.

But the truth is that the anti-Alliance groups spotted an opportunity in Lave and have won massive popular support.
The “independence” of Lave Radio Network is being used as a front by groups running a much broader anti-Alliance campaign. Lave is a proxy war.

Even now that you can read for yourself what is going on, those groups have a lot of traction.

More information here:https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/448327-Lave

Top Bottom