Night Vision

Does this mean space, specifically the dark side of planets (w/o nearby light sources), will be dark again? I hope so.

More very retro-looking 31st century tech (anyone who's anyone uses thermals these days, which tend to have black-and-white imaging). But a nice compromise between those who want the dark side of planets to be genuinely dark, and those who like to be able to see what they're doing when playing a game.

It was a nice surprise and I'm thankful that they left the skybox alone. Green space and stars would have been a bad choice. Or if people would prefer that, then make it an option. But I don't see why the HUD can't process the image to only reveal the ground. It's not like we are putting on night vision goggles.

More very retro-looking 31st century tech (anyone who's anyone uses thermals these days, which tend to have black-and-white imaging). But a nice compromise between those who want the dark side of planets to be genuinely dark, and those who like to be able to see what they're doing when playing a game.
Thats my thoughts too, still stuck with 1980s tech.

Thats my thoughts too, still stuck with 1980s tech.

To be fair to FDev, after I wrote my last post I went and looked at some F35 cockpit videos and it seems they're still using green in their helmet-mounted displays:

https://youtu.be/k3aimm04SWU

On the other hand, F35 pilots have helmet-mounted displays!

Something to look for in the next update?

Edit: seriously, I play in VR and it would be nice to be able to see if my speed's in the blue zone while I'm staring out of the top of my canopy

Last edited:

Color thermals don't really stretch the imagination as being potentially possible by the 31st century, next couple of decades would be more likely.

A blend of different methods with one unified display geared to be as normal eyesight compatible as possible is probably how things will go (or already has maybe).

No, no they don't
The night vision I use for hunting are green. Black and white affects your eyes natural night vision.

Last edited:
Guys, thermal imaging is not a synonym for night vision.

True; though it's also true that thermals have supplanted image intensifiers in many use cases, especially vehicle-mounted.

I would expect any 31st century system to offer a composite image based on multi-spectral analysis.

The pulse that sweeps through the green would suggest, however that the devs have gone for some kind of active system: I'd have thought that leaving an active system running for more than a single pulse in a dangerous galaxy would be a good way to get yourself killed, but perhaps it's some kind of 'stealth radar' set.

No, no they don't
The night vision I use for hunting are green. Black and white affects your eyes natural night vision.

My opinion was based on watching videos like this:

https://youtu.be/i-gMMQTt5-c

Most of the vehicle-mounted thermal imagery I've seen has been black-and-white. But your point about preserving night vision is well taken.

Did I hear someone say there won't be night vision in the SRV? That'll make visiting Guardian rooms at night fun!

Edit: I'm pretty sure that in military aircraft where the crew use night vision, the cockpit displays are designed to dim; that's mostly to avoid washing out the NVGs, but if the colour choice in ED is to preserve night vision, they'd have to tone down the HUD as well. Can't recall if that happened during the demo.

Last edited:
Driving an srv around in the pitch black with lights barely brighter than candle light ? It's bad enough now in dim light conditions. Oh well, i guess it's back to the dark ages for wheeled vehicles. Perhaps if spacelegs was introduced we could have a crew member walk in front of the srv with a lantern.

Top Bottom