Red dead Redemption / up 4 pre-order

I haven't spent much on my PC since 2014 and it turned out being the right choice.

For you maybe ;)

I've just been spending my saved up pocket money on my hobby of choice...adding custom water cooling, new Corsair 750D case (since it's slightly bigger with more options than either my old Corsair 600T or 650D) and a few nice LED fans and some RGB lighting. I get fun out of building and rebuilding my rigs as the mood takes me too.

I don't drink or go foreign holidays, the motorbikes are all fitted with replacement bits as necessary, I don't owe any money to anyone... so I've got to have something I like to spend the money on...the PC is it when I'm not tinkering with motorbikes or practising some amateurish doodles with some air brushes on bike bits for my mates so I can pay for the PC bits...

Retirement is hell :p

5FD3Gly.jpg

HLTFZIu.jpg

ZKoLdjI.jpg

QIyWgdZ.jpg

fK90izH.jpg

MmKhVCY.jpg

lZjwsAu.jpg

TIb5xpS.jpg

NDv0cEZ.jpg

gWKKWVa.jpg

I3gPgVH.jpg

6yWPHsy.jpg

ojnZkTt.jpg

Last edited:
Hype period over yet?

Seeing a few people complain about grind and chores dragging it down a bit.

Talk of clunky controls and frustrating pacing?

I'm always suspicious of games that get so hyped, no doubt social media marketing companies has been out there doing their thing, also people can get a bit carried away at times.

Anyone else feel that way? I looked up the map size comparison and it's not even half the size of gta v map. 14 minutes to cross rdr2 map on horse and 30+ minutes on gta v riding a bike so hopefully this is not a waste of cash.

System requirements.

Okay dokey.

For you maybe ;)

I've just been spending my saved up pocket money on my hobby of choice...adding custom water cooling, new Corsair 750D case (since it's slightly bigger with more options than either my old Corsair 600T or 650D) and a few nice LED fans and some RGB lighting. I get fun out of building and rebuilding my rigs as the mood takes me too.

I don't drink or go foreign holidays, the motorbikes are all fitted with replacement bits as necessary, I don't owe any money to anyone... so I've got to have something I like to spend the money on...the PC is it when I'm not tinkering with motorbikes or amateurish messing about with some air brushes on bike bits for my mates so I can pay for the PC bits :)

Very smexy, Mole. I'm similar to you, keeping my rig up to date on a fairly regular basis. 1080ti, tons of DDR4 RAM, a blazing fast i7 7820x CPU etc. It's overkill, really, for my needs.

Okay dokey.

Very smexy, Mole. I'm similar to you, keeping my rig up to date on a fairly regular basis. 1080ti, tons of DDR4 RAM, a blazing fast i7 7820x CPU etc. It's overkill, really, for my needs.

I hear you on the overkill....but so are 2 Harleys, a Triumph Bonneville T140E and a Russian Ural sidecar rig sitting in my garage on an island with less than 25 miles of road [haha]

I hear you on the overkill....but so are 2 Harleys, a Triumph Bonneville T140E and a Russian Ural sidecar rig sitting in my garage on an island with less than 25 miles of road [haha]

When you get to be our age, worked hard made good choices and lived your life well, you can afford to spoil yourself a little:)

For you maybe ;)

I don't drink or go foreign holidays, the motorbikes are all fitted with replacement bits as necessary, I don't owe any money to anyone... so I've got to have something I like to spend the money on...the PC is it when I'm not tinkering with motorbikes or practising some amateurish doodles with some air brushes on bike bits for my mates so I can pay for the PC bits...

Retirement is hell :p

Your knight looks amazing, it reminds me of the one on the Saxon album cover Crusader, which I almost got for a tattoo.

For you maybe ;)

And I can see that the PC games are just means to an end so your rig building gets a purpose. As for most motorcycles the driving and tinkering itself is the purpose. When to get somewhere in any weather, the car is used instead. There is nothing wrong with both.

But for my hobby (video games) the hardware is just the means to an end. My PC is a black brick without any case windows and fans with RGB LEDs. In fact when shopping for PC parts, I especially avoid this kind of stuff, because I don't want a noisy PC that glows in the dark. Just something sleek, small, silent and reasonably priced, that gets the job done.

Guess why I like the PS4 Slim?

ps4_slim-1.jpg

ps4_slim-5.jpg

ps4_slim-10.jpg
It doesn't glow in the dark. Something like that is actually hard to find in the PC department in a decent quality without spending a fortune.

Last edited:
It doesn't glow in the dark. Something like that is actually hard to find in the PC department in a decent quality without spending a fortune.

How much is a fortune? This is mine, from memory it was £65 although that was an offer if I recall correctly.

81H6N69S-eL._SX425_.jpg

Soundproof case, I sit just under three feet away from it and its completely silent :D I hate PC bling, I had to build one for a mate once and he went for fans with lights, cold cathode tubes and all that guff, I had my teeth gritted the whole time I was putting it together for him. It looked more like a mobile disco than a games machine.

And I can see that the PC games are just means to an end so your rig building gets a purpose. As for most motorcycles the driving and tinkering itself is the purpose. When to get somewhere in any weather, the car is used instead. There is nothing wrong with both.

But for my hobby (video games) the hardware is just the means to an end. My PC is a black brick without any case windows and fans with RGB LEDs. In fact when shopping for PC parts, I especially avoid this kind of stuff, because I don't want a noisy PC that glows in the dark. Just something sleek, small, silent and reasonably priced, that gets the job done.

So your comment about needing to shell out 400 bucks to play RD2 when it comes out on PC was not really aimed at me but rather yourself because your running a budget PC "that gets the job done" that is really just code for "I have a cheap little potato of a computer." Glad we cleared that up:)

How much is a fortune? This is mine, from memory it was £65 although that was an offer if I recall correctly.
This is like ten times the volume and the weight of a PS4 Slim.

When you look for something decently looking with build quality in that slim form factor, you might end up with having to decide if you pay up to 300 bucks for a PS4 or a just a PC case without anything in it.

Remember those Steam Machines? They all failed on the market for the same reason.

I hate PC bling, I had to build one for a mate once and he went for fans with lights, cold cathode tubes and all that guff, I had my teeth gritted the whole time I was putting it together for him. It looked more like a mobile disco than a games machine.
Same for me. The only thing that glows in the dark is my controller. :D

I think you're reading me all wrong...

I haven't owned a car in 30 years. If it's wet, we don't go out...no real need. If we do, we both get soaked, or in really vile weather, my wife and little old me take the Ural outfit the 10 miles to the only shop on the island...still getting wet in the process. It's the price for being a long term biker rather than an occasional dry weekend hobby rider [yesnod]

I tend to favour the Ural rig as a daily runabout anyways...most days my tin legs seriously hurt when holding the Harley up, I've dropped both the Harleys a fair few times when I've been stopped or picking it off the stand... a sad sign that it's almost time for the 2 wheelers to go.

Eb7TBff.jpg

And my PC? It's a games machine, not an ornament...I play games, I spend a serious amount of time playing. I did the same on the Xbox (which didn't have many lights on it). I do like your black and sleek minimalist approach for hardware though [yesnod]

Your knight looks amazing, it reminds me of the one on the Saxon album cover Crusader, which I almost got for a tattoo.

That was for my mate's bike...he's a Knight in the Order of Freemasons so I thought the crusader theme was kinda appropriate :)

Last edited:
So your comment about needing to shell out 400 bucks to play RD2 when it comes out on PC was not really aimed at me
I just reminded us, that installing an AAA title few years from now usually means shopping for some hardware upgrades. If they pull the same stunt as with GTA V, we're looking at some future generation 9 port and that is barely going to run on any machine current in this year or made in the past.

but rather yourself because your running a budget PC "that gets the job done" that is really just code for "I have a cheap little potato of a computer." Glad we cleared that up:)
If you want to call a Xeon a potato. ;) The rig I was talking about (it's not the only one BTW) is old, but it never was a budget PC. Well made, compact/powerful and low-budget - choose any two.

Hype period over yet?

I'm always suspicious of games that get so hyped, no doubt social media marketing companies has been out there doing their thing, also people can get a bit carried away at times.

The game deserves its hype tbh.
But yeah, game isn't perfect. Clunky controls but RDR had some clunky controls too.
The biggest issue as I see it is that it tries to be a little too realistic and that realism gets in the way sometimes. Your character *has* to eat. Your horse too. So you always need to prepare before exploring far from camp. This is immersive but it is also an obstacle for the gameplay.
Speaking of camp, that's where the grind and chores are. Arthur is asked to help out with food and money to help the people. But I really don't care about the camp or its people. I'm a loner and I'm playing this game as one.

Hype period over yet?

Its no surprise these days to see games being released in a "raw" state requiring future updates and patches to fix all the shortfalls and bugs that come with a rushed out release. Most games these days feel "rushed" but then again, the internet plays a role which enables a publisher to hand in past promises at a future point easily instead of having to roll out addition productions and getting in touch with every customer via mail. Many publishers keep their word and fulfill expectations at a later point in time but still...my biggest gripe is that I pay full premium value NOW and often receive a bug-ridden part at best. Purchases in recent years have taught me the wisdom in holding back when it comes to new and interesting games. Waiting a couple of weeks (or months) forces you to watch from the sidelines when your inner kids simply wants to play as well but the pay-off is often reduced prize, an optimized and polished experience or realizing that this game isnt what you thought it would be. I usually cannot see the advantage of getting and playing a game on day 1 of release. And the games which advertise this effect and build on it I usually avoid in the first place (competitive MMOs...I m looking at you)

Red Redemption looks awesome...I m not denying that. And watching footage makes me go "NNNNGGGH I WANT THAT" and it takes effort to resist the temptation because you know....money really isnt an issue anymore like it was when I was a kid. I ve been watching various streams so far and most of what I see makes me think "hmmmm....yeah I m not sure this is my thing" so I already know I ll probably wait for a sale or not get it at all. Thats still a preferred situation compared to a game thats sitting on my shelf or in my library reminding me every day that I basically wasted good money on something I didnt want or need in the first place. I m not going to talk down this game or focus on the negative aspects....it simply doesnt catch my interest so far but who knows? Maybe I havent seen everything there is to see yet :)

System requirements.

Disagree. I never ever have upgraded my system for a single game. Upgrading components was usually a sign of necessity in a general sense and taking the "plunge" improved my options overall. So if this game ever comes to the PC (looks like it will from what I ve read so far) it ll be 59.99 most likely because either my system is up to it or not. I just hope that it wont be a cheap console-port. Too many games releasing on the PC dont exploit its capabilities anymore...damn shame.

Top Bottom