News Beyond - Chapter Four - Beta is live!

Scenarios?

Has anyone been able to find scenarios? I've searched probably 15 systems and haven't been able to find them. I've tried tuning to them but it always leads me to USS which are usually different emissions. Is there a trick to finding these things or are they just super rare?

My first experience of the beta, trying to install using ordinary (non-steam) launcher on Windows 7 64-bit: [knocked out]
5 minutes of file preparation, then this error message (pictured):
10 minutes of retrying the Install button and cursing.
Eventually tried restarting launcher, et voila!
All fine now, but you only get one chance at a first impression, guys! This doesn't bode well for the actual game if even the installer is buggy. :(

dJtSq0

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
Really enjoying the new exploration system! Time will tell if it gets tedious, but so far it's been quite enjoyable.

Absolutely awesome stuff, mapping about 20 extra controls seemed a bit daunting at first but its very workable without too much thought needed (and I play on a laptop with an xbox pad!) I spent the evening checking out volcanic geological features that i've never been able to find before! The lighting is beautifull and even the planets seem more natural and varied and even quicker loading too, I love the way the new scanner features work, the codex system, rumoured and reported discoveries etc... story teasers, background info, more efficient layouts just everything! It really shows your love for the game and also that you have the players in mind when designing these features. I already cant wait to get out and explore when testing is over and looking forward to everything else you've been working so hard on for this update!! Thank you o7

I would love to be able to use my HOTAS for navigating the FSS rather than rebinding keys to an Xbox controller. Unless someone has found a way to do this of course ... :)

As for the codex, are we seeing other commander names on there? I would rather not, as it breaks my immersion of believing I'm offline ... ;) :D

[big grin]Has anyone else got missing audio - I got not flight control audio when docking , or internal tannoy audio when in a station ?

As far as using the HOTAS [ in VR ]I managed to find a spare key for the crucial FSS Toggles , then you can remap any of the hotas keys to use in FSS mode, just like when you use an existing camera or galaxy map mode. Just have to remember what key does what [big grin]

Hello Commanders,

We’re pleased to announce that the beta for Beyond - Chapter Four is available now to all PC Elite Dangerous and Elite Dangerous: Horizons players!

In tune with our vision for the Beyond season of updates, this fourth and final chapter brings improvements and additions to existing core features of Elite Dangerous.

In order to focus the public testing on specific aspects of Beyond - Chapter Four, we will be unlocking different content over a number of different weeks. You can find out the beta content schedule here:

With today's update you'll be able to test:

• New Exploration mechanics
  • Introduction of the new Codex
  • Scenarios
  • Background Simulation improvements
  • ...Cockpit UI changes, graphical enhancements and more!
We have covered these features in our livestreams during the past two weeks, and you can read recaps [Exploration] here and [Scenarios & BGS] here for more information on what to expect.

The changes coming with the Beyond - Chapter Four update are some of the biggest we've seen this year, so we would encourage you to help us iron out the kinks by leaving feedback in our dedicated beta forum section. This feedback is incredibly valuable for our team and will help us overcome any unforeseeable issues and bugs ahead of Beyond - Chapter Four's launch!

To take part in the beta, all you'll need to do is load up the launcher and select (and update) the following product: Elite Dangerous - Horizons - Beta (3.3). Once that has been completed, you'll then have access to the Beyond - Chapter Four beta. If this hasn't appeared, please restart your launcher.

If you'd like information as the beta progresses, you can also subscribe to our Beyond - Chapter Four Beta newsletter by clicking here.

And, if you haven't had a chance to read Game Director Laurence Oldham's message, you can also read that here.

We can't wait to hear what you think of Chapter Four and now you'll be able to experience it for yourselves!

Just watched some of Obsidian Ant's videos and wanted to say Kudo's to FDev for what appears to be an extremely polished update. (yes I know we're currently in beta and there are bugs)

Little things like "Night Vision" and "Playlist" are so awesome, can't wait to listen so some of the history and lore in my solo sessions!

I'm not able to find the Interface Brightness option anywhere anymore (I know it's in the menu, but it also used to be under functions as well, which was far more convenient).

Are we going to have to stick with the menu option from now on?

Set up the bindings, fine tuned the bindings and got the FSS to work, identified bodies, however random crashes when zooming in to planets in the kick off scenario.

Cheers, matey!
Why didn't I think to look there?
It's almost like saying "Shampoo? Have you tried looking in the fridge?"
Regards,
o7

I once found my passport in the airing-cupboard. But I didn't intend to put it in there in the first place ;)

If the shampoo is in the 'fridge, is the Greek Yoghurt in the shower tray?

:)

I would love to be able to use my HOTAS for navigating the FSS rather than rebinding keys to an Xbox controller. Unless someone has found a way to do this of course ... :)

I've got my HOTAS setup for FSS - joystick axes for pitch/yaw, and various other knobs and twiddles for the other parts of the UI. A touch cumbersome, but works.

I can't try this until Friday. Can I safely assume the FSS key bindings are overrides? Also, since I'm using a custom key binding, it won't have any defaults set? Thanks.

I can't try this until Friday. Can I safely assume the FSS key bindings are overrides? Also, since I'm using a custom key binding, it won't have any defaults set? Thanks.

Nope, you can't safely assume that. Some worked fine in FSS, and continued in their original non-FSS binding when I exited FSS. Others worked fine in FSS, but when I exited FSS the original non-FSS binding was gone/overwritten.

Top Bottom