Hardware & Technical Does it really matter what model of 1060 I get?

• Thread starter Deleted member 110222
  • Start date

Deleted member 110222

D
I think in a sign of growing up, I don't really care what my computer looks like as long as it works.

With this in mind, and that my PC is pretty much dedicated to playing ED at 1080p, may I as well just save a sizable chunk of cash and just go for the cheapest model of 1060 6GB?

Honestly I don't care about the aesthetics anymore. Actually I may buy a windowless case in a few months just to cure my OCD.

With this all in mind, will it really make any difference if I just go for the much cheaper single-fan option for the 1060? Taking into account that I only play ED on PC at a humble 1080p?

You should defintely compare a few cards and get a good clock speed + ram space. maybe look for GDDR5X. Plus, it never hurts to check the constructor's reputation. I got an MSI one because I trust them, but I hear good things from Gigabytes...
TLDR : don't get the cheapest, do a bit of research.

Deleted member 110222

D
You should defintely compare a few cards and get a good clock speed + ram space. maybe look for GDDR5X. Plus, it never hurts to check the constructor's reputation. I got an MSI one because I trust them, but I hear good things from Gigabytes...
TLDR : don't get the cheapest, do a bit of research.

Noted. I shall do so now.

As Kerenn touched upon, it's all about the reviews. If it were me, I'd go for the one that came out quietest and coolest because that's how I want my room. You might also want to consider the warranty period.

Honestly I don't care about the aesthetics anymore. Actually I may buy a windowless case in a few months just to cure my OCD.

Your post made me look at and straighten (for the 100th time) the braided PCI cables going into my card, so I hear what you're saying ;)

I don't think it has anything to do with age. People take pride in the things they use, build and love. Others see them as a utility. Cars' are a good example; To me they're nothing more than a utility and I don't care how it looks, as long as it functions, others spend millions - even really old people. I like my PC to look a certain way, tho

Deleted member 110222

D
I don't think it has anything to do with age. People take pride in the things they use, build and love. Others see them as a utility. Cars' are a good example; To me they're nothing more than a utility and I don't care how it looks, as long as it functions, others spend millions - even really old people. I like my PC to look a certain way, tho

Reasonable. :)

Also, don't forget with the 1060 there's the whole 3GB or 6GB thing to consider (unless you went for the new version with GDDR5X which will have 6GB but I'm sure that will be priced accordingly).

the 1060 has 2 major varients the 3 gb and the 6gb versions ,
the 3 GB version has less vram and is a bit slower but also cheaper
the 6gb version is the faster one of the 2 and the one i actually own , and has no trouble running ED at 1080P at max settings (generally runs at 60+ in empty space it jumps up higher)

for the manufactures themselves , that mostly depends on preference , i have been using a gigabyte one since it came out ,the gpu chips themselves are still made by nvidia but each manufacturer has their own board design and cooler

Deleted member 110222

D
Potential middle ground?

Look I'm hoping to save a little bit of cash. This model seems to have amazing reviews, and I could order through my friend's prime for the lower price.

In terms of performance, hardly. The real difference is the quality of cooling solution, i.e., how well it manages at transporting heat, and how much noise it produces. 8GB RAM should be enough for now.

Don't get anything marketed as overclocked, it's entirely clear that most nvidia cards are not stable running Elite with any kind of overclock.

I've no experience of Zotac but the reviews are decent enough (remember to read expert reviews as well though). And the price compares well.

Or there is this MSI one for around the same price https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-32s-ms.html (but Overclockers charge extra for delivery).

If you can wait I would wait for a Black Friday deal.

Deleted member 110222

D
When I had to research parts in the past I found that PC Pro was usually a good source of information. One of the things I found most useful was their 'Labs' tests. What they would do is to get several items from different suppliers (graphics cards, for example), and then, using identical rigs/software configurations, put them all through a series of rigorous tests, to see which came out on top. I remember a very long time back one magazine tested 60 motherboards (Intel and AMD, in their own groupings).

You might want to check out their 'A List' kit;

https://www.dennis.co.uk/brands/technology/pc-pro/

I don't think it matters much.
And I'm the same, A pc should be in a box, not light up the room or cause so much noise you can't stand sitting next to it.
So I almost went out of my way to find a case without a side window.

But any expensive part it's always good to Google some reviews and user experiences of before buying.

I have however heard of a few concerns around knock off 1060's bug in Europe or us, unless you buy off eBay or ali-express I doubt that would ever be an issue.

Here in Europe we have consumer protection laws and this both protect after purchase and makes retailers to sell stuff of decent quality.

There has in the past been the occasional card thst was perhaps made with undersized parts.
like there was a 1080 or 1080ti that was fitted with the cooler off a 1070 which obviously wasn't keeping up.
But that was the only problem as well so if you for instance building a water cooled rig and was swapping out the cooler anyway those cards turned out to be rather good value.

And the minor differences for the higher prices versions of same card is usually only noticeable, if at all, once you start overclocking.

Top Bottom