So Sandro Sammarco has moved aside. Who has taken the reins then?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Ahhh...less "handwavium" perhaps? Does the new guy want to rethink the mechanics behind SLFs and Multi-Crew etc...
Oh...and hopefully no more winding the community up with "Elite going Open Only" for LOLs

Sandros never said that did he?

PP going open only... sure, and even as someone who does not play in open, I did see his point for that 1 feature.

No more crazy ideas like powerplay one would imagine

I honestly think the idea of powerplay was great, when it was announced I thought it would bring a massive amount of life and variety to the galaxy.

Unfortunately, the implementation resulted in a grind competition where nobody ever actually wins or loses, and there's barely any noticeable difference between each faction space.

3.3 close to be finshed and thereby Beyond almost wrapped up, seems like a natural cut off point for reassigning personnel going ahead.
I never put all that much emphasis on individual protagonists, never looked at it as a michael brookes or sandro sammarco game, but a FD game.
Interesting detail alright, but nothing out of the ordinary as far as i'm concerned.

Sandros never said that did he?

Whilst I'm not 100% sure that it can be attributed DIRECTLY to Sandro....he was Lead at the time...and I've Managed enough Projects myself to know that regardless of where in your team an Idea comes from YOU'RE responsible for it...similarly...if you give a "Message out" that's mis-interpreted...again...its not the people "hearing it" that are at fault...its your fault for not communicating the concept correctly...
Sandro, gave the impression that he favoured Multi-Player game-play in a game that was marketed & sold specifically as being suitable for single-players...if that wasn't the impression he wanted to give out...he could very simply have said that was incorrect and there was never any intention of locking any gameplay off and ring-fencing it for the "fortnite/CoD crowd"
Small wonder it was considered controversial and the idea of "mode-superiority" had to be left to wither on the vine...

3.3 close to be finshed and thereby Beyond almost wrapped up, seems like a natural cut off point for reassigning personnel going ahead.
I never put all that much emphasis on individual protagonists, never looked at it as a michael brookes or sandro sammarco game, but a FD game.
Interesting detail alright, but nothing out of the ordinary as far as i'm concerned.

Still odd that he doesn't see through the final launch of 3.3. I'd hazard a guess this means a new IP.

To be honest his tenure was a mixed bag for me, Elite is more refined and composed than ever before, but I miss the flavor on the plate. We need a spacehead close to the development. BTW, at the very least, I won't miss the wacky outfits. :)

This is both the best and worst gaming community, I swear... So many high notes, and then you get stuff like putting Drew off the game, and I am sure that all the vitriol Sandro received would contribute to him feeling like he needs to work on something else.

Whatever Sandro's doing, I certainly hope he's enjoying his new challenges and I'm looking forward to seeing what it is (assuming it's one of the unannounced projects). It's a shame though, I will miss seeing him on livestreams, he's such a character.

Whilst I'm not 100% sure that it can be attributed DIRECTLY to Sandro....he was Lead at the time...and I've Managed enough Projects myself to know that regardless of where in your team an Idea comes from YOU'RE responsible for it...similarly...if you give a "Message out" that's mis-interpreted...again...its not the people "hearing it" that are at fault...its your fault for not communicating the concept correctly...
Sandro, gave the impression that he favoured Multi-Player game-play in a game that was marketed & sold specifically as being suitable for single-players...if that wasn't the impression he wanted to give out...he could very simply have said that was incorrect and there was never any intention of locking any gameplay off and ring-fencing it for the "fortnite/CoD crowd"
Small wonder it was considered controversial and the idea of "mode-superiority" had to be left to wither on the vine...

Powerplay was always intended to be the multiplayer focused element of the game, he merely proposed what should have been in place from the start -it doesn't work properly when it can be done in solo. Most the people complaining don't even get involved in PP anyway.

Hoping that this great proposal doesn't get binned if Sandro has left the project.

Who has taken the reins then?

Biblical reins? Ouch!
Toddler reins?
Reins to a donkey, ***, mule, or a stallion?

There's probably a Powerplay going on over who gets to hold the many reins. One toddler is being pulled one way when a mule is being pulled another way.

Note ***:
Redaction occured due to some filter.
I could have written Equus africanus asinus.
Or a jack or jenny.

Such a filter assassinates free speech.
I got two for free there.:p

I disagree.

The IDEA of powerplay was great but the execution was not good for several reasons.

- it became a tagged on RISK game on top of the actual game
- instead of linked the already in place reputation system with factions they invented a weekly scoreboard
- They completely ignored the effects of realpolitik when an imperial senator takes hit PRIVATE FLEET and liberate a system owned by another super power.
- Suddenly we had the equivalent of Obama sending drone strikes against Apple and telling his party to kill apple employees because they are the enemy...
- The reward system was short sighted and mostly a hunt for gimmick items.

I mean, the IDEA was good but it became completely crazy when you started to look at it in how it impacted the actual universe.

What they SHOULD have done would have been:

- Link the PP faction reputation to minor factions under their influence
- Gain a bonus to rewards and reputation when doing missions for a faction under that PP banner

That would mean we could do regular missions from the mission board and still affect the PP game.

Ok, so how does PVP come into this?

- Powerplay missions are automatically flagged for PVP when a mission target planet/station/area is within another PP faction space (so moving stuff within the same PP faction area would only give you your PP reputation bonus towards minor factions.

That should have been PP which everybody would be involved in, instead we got galactic USS which you could opt out of.

The lack of any news about plans for next year, not to mention postponed features, and now this piece of news may very well be hints that the development for the current game version is really going into maintenance mode.
If you mean Beyond / 3.x, then yes, obviously. 3.3 is the last planned major release for that.

They've already announced that they're working on "4.0" - just not details of what it is yet, so the game as a whole looks very likely to continue being developed, though.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom