Why snakes? Do you have a problem with designers?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
And ED is set in the same universe as the previous games, where the manufacturers have a thing for snakes.

Also don't forget that some of these 'ancient' ships with such funny names were designed over 300+ years ago, so 34 years is but a hiccup in time :D

One of the videos on Youtube I watched with an interview with David Braben stated that they named the spacecraft in the original 1984 Elite after snakes because they looked to them like snake heads. I can't for the life of me remember which Youtube video it was but if you're willing to spend a couple of hours going through Braben interviews about Elite, it should be in there somewhere.

So which snakes are the Challenger, Cheiftain, Crusader, Beluga, Dolphin, Eagle, Assualt Ship, Drop Ship, Gunship, Hauler, Clipper, Courier, Cutter, Orca, Vulture, Type-10 Defender, Type-6 Transporter, Type-7 Transporter, and Type-9 Heavy named after?

They weren't in the original Elite.

Though technically there were some non-snakes in the original too...

A Moray (Star Boat) is an eel, but I guess close enough
A Worm (Landing Craft) is well... a worm

Last edited:
I heard it all...

Newbies complaining about the controls, the grind, the difficulty of AI, the weakness of the starter ship, the low FPS when running the game on a potato...

And now shipnames? wth?

People sure complain about weird things...

With a couple of exceptions (keelback and diamondback) the snake names are legacy of the original 1984 Elite. Frontier are quite proud of the work their founder did back then, and including them in ED is an homage and a point of connection between that original game and the current game. Don't forget, a large percentage of the playerbase of this game only bought this game because they remember playing the original 1984 ELite back when they were kids.

You can tell how proud they are of their snake names by looking at the logo of the graphics engine which the company has developed, and uses on all their games:
Engine_-_Cobra_-_logo.jpg

If you look closely at the logo, you can see that the snake's head is actually an old Eiite 1984 spaceship - ironically, I believe it's actually a Gecko, rather than a snake-named ship.

TL-DR: Frontier just like snakes, OK? Get used to it.

Amazed anyone can ask this question.. tsk
Maybe next time do a tiny bit of research first?

Let's be fair to the OP. I suspect that, not only is English not his first language, but that he might be young. I could be wrong there though...

It's either that or he's Indiana Jones. "Snakes? Why did it have to be snakes?" ;)

I think it is part of the legacy of the series and there are several ships named after other things. I am probably not the only one who learned that for example Diamondback and Fer-de-lance are also names for snakes. Tangential learning works! I hope that we don't have to wait too long for enough evidence of a planet Persephone. The old mnemonics could be used again.

The Medusa is also part snake. Lots of them.

Is a Hydra snake-like ?

Fdev should name their next medium sized combat ship "The Fluffy Bunny." It would have 2 huge hardpoints where its ears would be and 4 medium sized hardpoints where the whiskers are. The nose would have one large hardpoint. The tail or stern would host a round spoiler. Since it's a rabbit, the speed and maneuverability would be unparalleled. And needless to say, the vertical thrusters would be crazy good.

sigh.......

o7

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom