Why snakes? Do you have a problem with designers?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
It's more of a manufacturer specific thing, with each manufacturer having their own preferred naming convention. In addition to being thematic, it also makes learning game content much easier for new players as they can often guess a manufacturer simply based upon the name of the ship.

3 of the Manufacturers name their ships after snakes: Zorgon Peterson, Faulcon Delacey and Lakon. ZP are actually a subsidiary of Faulcon these days, so it makes sense that they would share some a naming convention while Lakon may well have acquired the Keelback, Diamondback and Asps from another manufacturer.

Lakon are a bit all over the place as far as names go, as they have a few snakes, several utilitarian designations (the types) and now they are starting on British tanks.

Gutamaaya seem to have a thing for the letter C as well as old sailing ship classes. This is why I usually suggest the names "Carrack" and "Caravel" for potential Imperial ships.

Core Dynamics like their birds, hence the Condor, Eagle and Vulture. They also make use of descriptive ship names, such as "Corvette" and "Dropship", although they curiously have given their capital ships actual class names rather than a basic descriptor.

Saud Kruger use their marine mammals, in particular the suborder Cetacea. This is why names like the Minke, Porpoise and Narwhal are suggested frequently alongside further SK ships.

This is also the reason why I say that the Panther belongs in a launch alongside a new manufacturer, it's breaking into entirely new naming territory and there's more than enough ships named after cats in FFE to fill out an entire manufacturer's lineup.

Saud Kruger use their marine mammals, in particular the suborder Cetacea. This is why names like the Minke, Porpoise and Narwhal are suggested frequently alongside further SK ships.

They can't use "Narwhal". The Narwhal is already in-game in lore, if not in fact: it's a highly modified militarized Beluga, used as a personal shuttle by the Federation President. The equivalent of Air Force One.

They can't use "Narwhal". The Narwhal is already in-game in lore, if not in fact: it's a highly modified militarized Beluga, used as a personal shuttle by the Federation President. The equivalent of Air Force One.

Good point, although they were just examples and it would be quite possible for them to release the Narwhal as a militarised Beluga now that they officially obsolete within the Federation. Slap a Federal rank requirement onto it, increase the price and defence capabilities of it, add a couple of military slots, maybe rejig some of the internals and you have the Narwhal.

The Medusa is also part snake. Lots of them.

Is a Hydra snake-like ?

yes... a multi headed dragon. cut off one head it grew two more. which is one hell of an evolutionary trick. I long suspected the only way to kill one was to keep cutting off heads until the whol thing was basically more heads than the body could support and pump blood to.

Fdev should name their next medium sized combat ship "The Fluffy Bunny." It would have 2 huge hardpoints where its ears would be and 4 medium sized hardpoints where the whiskers are. The nose would have one large hardpoint. The tail or stern would host a round spoiler. Since it's a rabbit, the speed and maneuverability would be unparalleled. And needless to say, the vertical thrusters would be crazy good.

sigh.......

o7

And presumably it should buzz and vibrate violently when you apply thrust...

They weren't in the original Elite.

Though technically there were some non-snakes in the original too...

A Moray (Star Boat) is an eel, but I guess close enough
A Worm (Landing Craft) is well... a worm

Gecko - One of my favourite looking ships.
Transporter - The Grandaddy of the T series.
Shuttle - a ah, shuttle.

So who's going to build the Panther Clipper? That's not a snake, bird, marine mammal, sailing ship, type or descriptor. Perhaps that's why it's not in the game...

But in all seriousness, it's just a thing. Car manufacturers do it, shipbuilders do it, aircraft makers do it - you pick a theme and that becomes a naming convention.

Damn OP you have me thinking now! Not just are some of the ships in the game named after repiles without legs, but the game itself - it is called Elite, why Elite, is the game elite as in better than every other game? Is it elite that it is the best there is? According to some of the more frequent posters here, the game should be called Mediocre, or NotNMS, or WhatStarCitizenWantsToBe. But they called it Elite, isn't that a little pretentious for the title of the game?

Huh huh

:D

My favorite snake is the LAKON TYPE 7 TRANSPORTER
mine is the Vulture, so long and slender and twisty and scaly... and not at all resembling a crushed piano accordion... much...

if Couriers are snakes too, then that might explain why every parcel i receive has gravel rash on the bottom and chewed mouse limbs adhering to it

Last edited:
So who's going to build the Panther Clipper? That's not a snake, bird, marine mammal, sailing ship, type or descriptor. Perhaps that's why it's not in the game...

Well, the Lion was produced by Gupta Industrial Corporation back in FFE, so it would make sense if they went for the whole cat theme.

Alternatively, rather than cats could it be that they are German tanks/AFVs? German tanks are already cat themed, with the Tiger, Panther, Lion (Panzer 7, incomplete prototype), Leopard, Puma (modern IFV), Jaguar (Tank Destroyer), Lynx (modern armoured car and Panzer 2 variant) and the Cheetah (modern SPAA gun). Bonus points if they decide to actually give them the German names for them all, to make them all extra unique.

With a couple of exceptions (keelback and diamondback) the snake names are legacy of the original 1984 Elite. Frontier are quite proud of the work their founder did back then, and including them in ED is an homage and a point of connection between that original game and the current game. Don't forget, a large percentage of the playerbase of this game only bought this game because they remember playing the original 1984 ELite back when they were kids.

You can tell how proud they are of their snake names by looking at the logo of the graphics engine which the company has developed, and uses on all their games:

If you look closely at the logo, you can see that the snake's head is actually an old Eiite 1984 spaceship - ironically, I believe it's actually a Gecko, rather than a snake-named ship.

TL-DR: Frontier just like snakes, OK? Get used to it.

Now I want the Gecko back!
Also, I like the snake names. I'm used to them from the old games.Apart from that they introduced many non-legacy ships not being snakes. Like the Dolphin, Orca, Beluga. The Chieftain variants. Though I would like to eventually have the ships from the old games back in ED, snake named or not. Panther Clipper isn't really on the top of my list, but well... I can imagine that ship will come back as a mega ship rather than something we can fly. What about the Moray Starboat, and cat-ships mentioned above? Also Gecko, Osprey, Saker, Merlin...

Names from classical mythology seem to be reserved for Thargoids, but there is a long list of cryptozoological names like Chupacabra. Maybe it already exists and is responsible for many wreckages in signal sources, but never caught.

What is the name of the experimental ship so many NPC-pilots have flown?

Names from classical mythology seem to be reserved for Thargoids, but there is a long list of cryptozoological names like Chupacabra. Maybe it already exists and is responsible for many wreckages in signal sources, but never caught.

What is the name of the experimental ship so many NPC-pilots have flown?

The Manticore?

I'd forgotten about the Gecko at the time :)
The other two are just class descriptions rather than names, and common sense would indicate many variations of transporter and shuttle through the galaxy.

My favorite snake is the LAKON TYPE 7 TRANSPORTER

29EA7ACE00000578-3137235-image-a-18_1435134464940.jpg

The Panther Clipper wasn't part of the original 1984 game, but was in the FE2/FFE expansions. Several other big-cat-themed ships were added to that game: the Lion, the Tiger Trader, the Puma Shuttle, and the Griffin.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom