Mamba - PvP and PvE - 3.3 Extended Preview

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if the mamba med fighter/racer has an armour rating of 70,
the person who developed the small warship aka the Corvette must have been on drugs.
(not the developer in real life, but the fiction designer in the game)

Armour rating 75?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyhoo back to the topic....

A nice little ship you have for hunting bigger game (prey).

the person who developed the small warship aka the Corvette must have been on drugs.

Armour rating 75?

Maybe that's the lore reason why it's slower than one would expect a racing ship to be... they took a racing ship and strapped a bunch of guns and armor on it.

BTW, it looks fantastic in VR. If anyone from fdev is reading this, please update the older ships so they look as good as the new ones...

What patch level was all of this made? Before or after the adjustment to heat and speed?

Looks like it was mostly, if not entirely, Beta 3, before the changes.

Armour rating 75?

Corvette, Cutter, FDL, Mamba, are all tied for second place hull rating at 70.

That's probably the first thing Zorgon changed when converting the racing prototype they had into a more combat focused vessel...giving it the same sort of armor the FDL has.

Armour rating 75?

I love my Corvette but barely use it now because it’s just all sorts of wrong. Other than the huge hardpoint the weapons are too small and the description says it’s the “smallest ship in the federal navy” and is “fast”. Neither of those is true.

I wanna got hunting Thargoids and am thinking Gaus Cannons and AX Multis. Would like to use the ‘vette but simply not fast enough and hardpoint placing will be sub optimal. Will probably end up using my Krait instead.

Maybe that's the lore reason why it's slower than one would expect a racing ship to be... they took a racing ship and strapped a bunch of guns and armor on it.

BTW, it looks fantastic in VR. If anyone from fdev is reading this, please update the older ships so they look as good as the new ones...

Ah, ha(alan partridge) the BF109 syndrome comes to mind.

Just got the Lenovo Explorer, in the black Friday sales, only used it on some racing sims.
Will be using it on the 11th, looking forward to the next update.

Looks like it was mostly, if not entirely, Beta 3, before the changes.
Corvette, Cutter, FDL, Mamba, are all tied for second place hull rating at 70.

That's probably the first thing Zorgon changed when converting the racing prototype they had into a more combat focused vessel...giving it the same sort of armor the FDL has.

You would think, the bigger the ship the thicker the armour plating, just like the real royal navy ships.
But I guess this is bypassed by the weapon size Vs Ship Size.

I love my Corvette but barely use it now because it’s just all sorts of wrong. Other than the huge hardpoint the weapons are too small and the description says it’s the “smallest ship in the federal navy” and is “fast”. Neither of those is true.

I wanna got hunting Thargoids and am thinking Gaus Cannons and AX Multis. Would like to use the ‘vette but simply not fast enough and hardpoint placing will be sub optimal. Will probably end up using my Krait instead.

I use mine as an Armoured Transport(PvE), I have the same feeling, just a couple better-placed turrets with the ability to defend its rear, and a bigger PD to cope with the extra demand.
Would never take her out in open play, not geared up to the onslaught of PvP.
I`ve still haven't had a go in the Krait or the other new ships, too busy, trying to increase my bank balance and mats for the engineers.

----------------------------------------------------

Anyhoo gents have a wonderful day :)

It's the smallest properly rated warship class, the other pilotable ships in the Federal Navy proper are fighters. It's also considerably faster than the other warship we've seen (the Battlecruisers) which, excepting short-lived bug, have been depicted as static structures in normal space.

As for the hardpoints, they just take some getting used to. If they were all bigger, even a class 8 distributor would have issues and full sized turrets placed in the flanking positions would track too slowly to be useful anyway.

You would think, the bigger the ship the thicker the armour plating, just like the real royal navy ships.

This is more of a hardness/quality rating than thickness, the latter of which seems to be reflected in hull integrity values and resistances, if we look at how the game phrases things (the description of the deep plating effect, for example).

Anyway, the real-world blue-water navy comparisons break down at some point, and even if they didn't real naval vessels rarely have thick armor anymore...engagement ranges are too great to worry about conventional guns and a ship that could carry enough armor to protect itself from anti-ship missiles or deep diving torpedoes wouldn't be able to move and would be too expensive to build or use.

But I guess this is bypassed by the weapon size Vs Ship Size

Armor penetration value vs. armor rating/hull hardness is the mechanism of weapon size vs. ships size.

The FDL and Mamba are as resistant to smaller weapons as the Corvette and Cutter.

It's the smallest properly rated warship class, the other pilotable ships in the Federal Navy proper are fighters. It's also considerably faster than the other warship we've seen (the Battlecruisers) which, excepting short-lived bug, have been depicted as static structures in normal space.

Maybe ... I’d argue the Federal Dropship / Assault Ship / Gunship are all smaller and not fighters. But, TBH, the size doesn’t bother me it’s the speed ... even with G3 Dirty Drives it can’t keep up with or outrun an Interceptor which makes it unsuitable for Thargoid bashing in my book.

As for the hardpoints, they just take some getting used to. If they were all bigger, even a class 8 distributor would have issues and full sized turrets placed in the flanking positions would track too slowly to be useful anyway.

Usable DPS is more of an issue than actual DPS, IMO. The two Huges are great but if you wanna use them for something “fun” - i.e. 2x Plasma Accelerators - you’re down to Cobra firepower for most situations due to the size and placement of the other hard points. That’s insane for the size and cost of the ship.

The most effective all-round loadout I’ve found is 2x Huge Beams and everything else Overcharged MultiCannon but it’s really quite dull. I’d much prefer to lose the underside C3 entirely and for the (non-Huge) upper hard points to be upgraded to 2x C2 and 2x C3. That’s not very much of an increase in total DPS (equivalent to adding single medium hardpoint) but allows some half decent lasers to be mounted, with a decent firing arc, to deal with small / medium craft and for the C4s to then be used carry some properly big guns, like PAs or Cannon, for big ships/fun.

Top Bottom