Missing Stellar Phenomena

So, i decided to get myself a Krait Phantom and kit it out for exploration. I take a look into the codex and decide to check out Q-type anomalies, specifically the Q04-type anomalie, because it is relatively near by (HIP 15310). I jump my way to that system and on arrival do the usual honk and 2 Notable Stellar Phenomena pop up in the FSS. i decide to check out the closest one. it turns out to be a Lagrange Cloud with of the Proto Type and has Rubeus Metallic Crystals, neat!

so after scanning the contents and jumping out i set out for the second Phenomena. which turns out to be another Lagrange Cloud of the aforementioned type but with Flavus Metallic Crystals. Still neat but not the Phenomena i am looking for. so i jump into supercruise and take another look around the system in FSS mode, but no other Phenomena pop up. So now I am wondering where I can find this Q-type anomalie in the system or that it is bugged somehow?

Anybody else ran into this or a similar issue?

The issue I am having is not being able to find any at all. I don't want to be just a "tourist" and visit already found sites in the codex. I wish to find my own. I have been down in the Heart and Soul nebula, looking in systems similar to the ones mentioned in the codex, yet nothing there at all. I scan entire systems, probe them but nothing. I have found plenty of geological things like fumeroles and geysers, I also found lots of bark mounds, but nothing else. The codex says look in nebula (hence why i am in the Heart and Soul Nebulas), I am looking at specific stars like B, F and G stars as mentioned in the codex. I even tried other stars just in case. All for nothing. Either these phenomenon are incredibly rare, or they just maybe bugged. Or Frontier really need to look at giving some more hints. I have spent the past 3 days at 8 hours each day looking for this stuff and it is just too much time needed for zero reward.

Try using your target menu instead. If it's been previously been discovered, it should show up in there and you can just scroll down and target it from inside there instead of trying to find it in the FSS...

I've had the same issue, I think the q-types are actually there, near but not among the metal things, within 15km or so of the point. They're just really small and hard to distinguish against the starry background.
I'm convinced I'll never find them.

Last edited:
They're very small. Keep checking the contacts tab on the left panel, or with night vision while cruising inside the cloud. They're mixed with the crystalline formations.

Try using your target menu instead. If it's been previously been discovered, it should show up in there and you can just scroll down and target it from inside there instead of trying to find it in the FSS...

I did check my target panel and there are only the 2 stellar phenomena.

I've had the same issue, I think the q-types are actually there, near but not among the metal things, within 15km or so of the point. They're just really small and hard to distinguish against the starry background.
I'm convinced I'll never find them.

ah, i thought the'd be a seperate phenomena on their own. will go back and fly around the clouds a bit more then

They're very small. Keep checking the contacts tab on the left panel, or with night vision while cruising inside the cloud. They're mixed with the crystalline formations.

will do! thanks!

Yeah had same issue. First jumped in found these spikes. Looked through other two phenomen in system but still nothing. went back another day in open some guys were there with me. they told me that it is just next to them. turn out that Q anomalies are really small and hard to spot even when you are 1000m away from them. I recomend looking at contant tab.

The codex says look in nebula (hence why i am in the Heart and Soul Nebulas), I am looking at specific stars like B, F and G stars as mentioned in the codex. I even tried other stars just in case. All for nothing. Either these phenomenon are incredibly rare, or they just maybe bugged.
There are plenty of Lagrange Clouds around the Colonia nebula - enough that you don't even really have to look for them specifically. I certainly wouldn't call them rare around here.

Maybe they're just not present in every nebula, though. It's only been three days, so I wouldn't expect us to have a good understanding of exactly what circumstances these things form in.

I figured it out, you don't need to stare at the contact panel.

You need to fly around and watch your radar for those blips that indicate a contact is way off in the distance.
Fly towards those blips, slowly. Once you're within 1km they'll become targetable, but still be invisible.
Then as you get to around 850-900m you'll start to see them glow like a star. Brighter as you get closer

edit: I also went up to boop range for science. Its attack did shield and hull damage at the same time, fairly slowly. No module damage.

edit 2: the other q-types in the same system do different attacks, I had one that just hit my shields, about 2-3x faster. No hull damage this time.

Last edited:
I figured it out, you don't need to stare at the contact panel.

You need to fly around and watch your radar for those blips that indicate a contact is way off in the distance.
Fly towards those blips, slowly. Once you're within 1km they'll become targetable, but still be invisible.
Then as you get to around 850-900m you'll start to see them glow like a star. Brighter as you get closer

edit: I also went up to boop range for science. Its attack did shield and hull damage at the same time, fairly slowly. No module damage.

edit 2: the other q-types in the same system do different attacks, I had one that just hit my shields, about 2-3x faster. No hull damage this time.

This method did help a lot! after just flying towards the location marker for the phenomena a little bit 2 contacts showed up that where on the opposite side of the crystals.

also of note is that the Q08 type moves around on it's own, it drifts around a bit. very interesting.Also the Q08 type saps the energy from your shield but nothing else. and after doing so will have a blue cloud around it for a bit.

Last edited:
Yup, I've been having the same problem all morning - chasing across the galaxy looking for stellar phenomena mentioned in the Codex such as the Q-type things and assorted jellyfish and then, when I get there, just finding hundreds of these flipping spiky crystals which I'm rapidly getting pretty tired of.

Edit: just caught up reading the advice here ... doh! So when the codex says "you can find a special needle in that system 900ly over there" what it fails to mention is "... inside the numerous haystacks which you will also find in the same location". Ahhh, OK ... I get it now. [hotas]

Last edited:
So, i decided to get myself a Krait Phantom and kit it out for exploration. I take a look into the codex and decide to check out Q-type anomalies, specifically the Q04-type anomalie, because it is relatively near by (HIP 15310). I jump my way to that system and on arrival do the usual honk and 2 Notable Stellar Phenomena pop up in the FSS. i decide to check out the closest one. it turns out to be a Lagrange Cloud with of the Proto Type and has Rubeus Metallic Crystals, neat!

so after scanning the contents and jumping out i set out for the second Phenomena. which turns out to be another Lagrange Cloud of the aforementioned type but with Flavus Metallic Crystals. Still neat but not the Phenomena i am looking for. so i jump into supercruise and take another look around the system in FSS mode, but no other Phenomena pop up. So now I am wondering where I can find this Q-type anomalie in the system or that it is bugged somehow?

Anybody else ran into this or a similar issue?

They are very small. You can't see them until you're less than 1km away. So it's almost point blank range. I found them in a lagrange point outside of the crystals. They do show up on your scanner though.

48275416_10155627934667447_1103930461928816640_o.jpg

Cheers,

Drew.

Yup, I've been having the same problem all morning - chasing across the galaxy looking for stellar phenomena mentioned in the Codex such as the Q-type things and assorted jellyfish and then, when I get there, just finding hundreds of these flipping spiky crystals which I'm rapidly getting pretty tired of.

Edit: just caught up reading the advice here ... doh! So when the codex says "you can find a special needle in that system 900ly over there" what it fails to mention is "... inside the numerous haystacks which you will also find in the same location". Ahhh, OK ... I get it now. [hotas]

And this solves my problem when searching new Stellar Phenomena I find and realizing nothing I scan gets noticed unless it's not a crystal. But when I find pods, those scan in properly and then I can scan the crystals. I've just not found the 1 tiny rare thing among twirly crystal spires then...

There are plenty of Lagrange Clouds around the Colonia nebula - enough that you don't even really have to look for them specifically. I certainly wouldn't call them rare around here.

Maybe they're just not present in every nebula, though. It's only been three days, so I wouldn't expect us to have a good understanding of exactly what circumstances these things form in.

I'm glad there are plenty out in Colonia, However i am not in Colonia, and the codex is simply saying found in nebula. It doesn't specify which type, if only in that particular region or any other idea that may help give even the foggiest notion.

Also when looking at the FSS are the signals for these phenomena found in the "scenarios" section of the wave scanner? Are they a USS?, because that is another thing not mentioned or clear. I am trying to figure all this out myself and it is incredibly frustrating and have almost given up on it all. I don't like coming to the forumn for help but at my wits end here.

Last edited:
Same problem for me: I came back the whole way from the Zurara to the H&S nebulae. In each system on my way I was looking for low frequency signals in my FSS just to find some phenomena… nothing. No I'm flying around H&S for ~2 weeks and the only thing I found were some biological things on planet surface. Now I'm here because I have begun to doubt whether I am even looking for the right thing. Are phenomena findable by looking at the FSS? Or are these thing extremely rare in deep space? The would be a missed chance to make deep space exploration more interesting!

Same problem for me: I came back the whole way from the Zurara to the H&S nebulae. In each system on my way I was looking for low frequency signals in my FSS just to find some phenomena… nothing. No I'm flying around H&S for ~2 weeks and the only thing I found were some biological things on planet surface. Now I'm here because I have begun to doubt whether I am even looking for the right thing. Are phenomena findable by looking at the FSS? Or are these thing extremely rare in deep space? The would be a missed chance to make deep space exploration more interesting!

I came across a couple on the way to NGC7822 and Cat's Paw, so they're out there. And yes, they do show on the FSS, they have a specific range. The text on the right that tells you what type of object you're looking for (i.e. Rocky Bodies etc.) will say "Concentrated Signal Source", then when you reveal it, it will change to Notable Stellar Phenomena.

Last edited:
Top Bottom