MWSOG: Milky Way Society of Organics and Geology

Anemones are currently bugged in every sector except the bubble sector. They won’t scan and they won’t add to the Codex. See the support thread here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-Composition-Scanner-Not-Being-Added-to-Codex
Hmm, it happened to me in the Beta in the Witchhead. Was a bit odd, as parked up at Bark Mounds before one of the updates, and after the update they were Anemones. They wouldn’t scan though. Bug reported it at the time. Wonder if they fixed it, but only applied the fix for the bubble’s sector.

See there's an interesting thing my codex doesn't mention a temp range for Ostrinus Brain Trees where it does for the others.In fact one type of Brain Tree lists a temp of 200-300k, another 100-270k, but nothing for Ostrinus so I think the various different types of bio of the same species are adapted for different conditions, but we don't yet have enough reports on Ostrinus to establish a temp range, however it seems to be the hot variety and may indeed be viable up to 1000k+ like these things.

Did I mention it was bright here? You had to get onto the dark side of them to see the natural colour, and since this is a primary body tidally locked they will always be lit the same way.
Ah, top info, ta!

I’d had a quick glance at the different BT varieties in the Codex for the IOS, but they all seemed to have the same criteria, except some only occurred in systems with ELWs or GGs with Water Based life. Will have to take another look!

Anemones are currently bugged in every sector except the bubble sector. They won’t scan and they won’t add to the Codex. See the support thread here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-Composition-Scanner-Not-Being-Added-to-Codex

Weirdly, they do seem to be scanning fine in the Vulcan Gate sector too. I wasn't the first to report them to the codex in that region, but I found a site with then before logging off and managed to get them added to confirmed in my entries.

Hmm, the codex says 'terrestial planets with water geysers.'. But icy bodies dont have them, and non-icy bodies dont have water geysers. :p

Non-icy bodies do have them, it's just rare. Or at least they did pre 3.3, I actually haven't found any on a non-icy body yet since the update.

Future scans by who?? Not by me. So far when I scan the same thing again I get nothing.

Bit of an update on this. I scanned Brain Trees in one system, I had already scanned Brain Trees in this sector but got a payout of 2,500cr for this scan, all subsequent scans of Brain Trees on that body and any other body in that system gave no payout regardless of the Brain Tree type, I scanned four types eventually in that one system. I moved one system and found more Brain Trees, first scan in that system gave me 2,500cr. I suspect if you are the first one to report a feature in a system it gives a payout of 2,500cr, if you are the first one to report a feature in that sector it gives a payout of 50,000cr. If you are traveling through a well explored area you may get no payouts at all for scanning features since they may all be done for those systems and that sector.

That's my experience so far, if we all pool together our experiences with codex payouts I think we can get this figured out pretty quick.

^ Do you mean sector or region?

I think it might actually be for the first time you scan one in that region you get 50k. I got 50k for some anemones in Vulcan Gate, that were already reported in the region. However it wasn't actually in the same sector as the first reported instance.

Last edited:
^ Do you mean sector or region?

I think it might actually be for the first time you scan one in that region you get 50k. I got 50k for some anemones in Vulcan Gate, that were already reported in the region. However it wasn't actually in the same sector as the first reported instance.

It is per region (the one we have 42 of), and on a personal basis. If it is the first anemones or whatever, you get 50k, whether or found them already or not.

Last edited:
It is per region (the one we have 42 of), and on a personal basis. If it is the first anemones or whatever, you get 50k, whether or found them already or not.

Yes the new ones that FDEV introduced with the exploration update. As I said I am still figuring out how it works, but the 2,500cr seems to apply for scanning the first feature of that type in the system regardless of how many in the region have already been found.

As an update to my exploration run back to the bubble I just did something really silly.

I decided this time to get as clsoe as possible to the back side of Barnad's Loop, well to me it's the back side because I have always passed it the other side, Witch Head etc. Anyway I was cruising down to a bio feature on a planet and lost track of it, but instead of just hitting all stop and looking around I thought to myself "it must be below me" and as you do just pointed the nose directly down, followed immediately by the thought, "hmm, I didn't realise I was that close to the ground!"

Now I am back at Thor's Helmet in the Sagan Research Centre deciding what to do, all that data, all those codex rewards, all gone. So I shall set my course following "visited systems" and do it all again, will be a bit quicker this time, I will grab the uniques but not visit every bio site I did previously, so be a day or two before I get back to "that" world where I will take up my exploration anew. It's a pity we can't eject a data package to the planetary surface to be picked up, while I am not for all data being preserved on ship death, that would make it to easy, having to fly back to pick up your data seems enough punishment, specially for the distant trips, close ones most people would probably ignore.

Anyway, so it will be that little bit longer before I buy my Phantom, that's life I guess.

Last edited:
Ouch. My condolences on the loss of your data.

I'm currently in the Elysian Shore and came dangerously close to losing my ship due to surprise stellar corona (two close-orbiting stars, with my entry point being deep inside the corona in one of them). Heat to 125% in seconds; two heat sinks later and I wondered why I wasn't moving away. Then I remembered - I'd throttled down while in witch-space, supposedly to prevent this sort of thing from happening! I got out, with my Phantom a little singed around the edges.

Resuming my search for new biologicals and other anomalies in a couple of days... after my hands stop shaking!

As an update to my exploration run back to the bubble I just did something really silly.

I decided this time to get as clsoe as possible to the back side of Barnad's Loop, well to me it's the back side because I have always passed it the other side, Witch Head etc. Anyway I was cruising down to a bio feature on a planet and lost track of it, but instead of just hitting all stop and looking around I thought to myself "it must be below me" and as you do just pointed the nose directly down, followed immediately by the thought, "hmm, I didn't realise I was that close to the ground!"

Now I am back at Thor's Helmet in the Sagan Research Centre deciding what to do, all that data, all those codex rewards, all gone. So I shall set my course following "visited systems" and do it all again, will be a bit quicker this time, I will grab the uniques but not visit every bio site I did previously, so be a day or two before I get back to "that" world where I will take up my exploration anew. It's a pity we can't eject a data package to the planetary surface to be picked up, while I am not for all data being preserved on ship death, that would make it to easy, having to fly back to pick up your data seems enough punishment, specially for the distant trips, close ones most people would probably ignore.

Anyway, so it will be that little bit longer before I buy my Phantom, that's life I guess.

We must have had the same luck...and I feel like I'm following your wakes. I too was in the sanguinous(?) region, just left monkey nebula, ran into a mountain while looking for something, ened up back in JellyFish, now heading to Rosette, sell some data, then make it back to Founders world as by then I should make Elite Exploration, purchase and begin outfitting my Phantom as well. In time I'll be able to get her to a nice about 70ly jump range, I belive, and some good speed on here as well. And still all the tools I need for the expedition ahead.

Top Bottom