Newcomer / Intro Felicity Farseer?

Well, I have arrived at Felicity's facility and, as you said, she wants meta-alloys.

I have an SRV and have done some rudimentary planetside trundling in it.

But how do I find meta-alloys? I have found vanadium, selenium, copper, all kinds of mats in my travels, but it's all been a bit random what I find. Is there any way of narrowing it down some, so at least I am looking for the needle in the correct haystack? ;)

Cheers all

Meta-alloys aren't mats although they can be obtained using your SRV but there are a lot of variables in that such as finding the right location and whether the source (Thargoid Barnacles) is ripe for harvesting. The more straightforward way is to go to the Maia system where the planetary base whose name I have (of course) forgotten on the world Obsidian Orbital orbits, that base is the only place that sells them. They are expensive though but you only need one.

Maia is a longish trip and there are possibilities that pirates or worse will want the meta-alloy off you.

Thanks Rob. Seriously, will I need a fuel scoop? I'm pretty sure there are *some* inhabited systems en route...

But I am always open to suggestions and tips :D

Last edited:
Thanks Rob. Seriously, will I need a fuel scoop?
Yes, almost certainly (my Asp can do it without refueling, but it is engineered monster). Plot the route on the Gal Map and see how far you can go before the solid lines become dotted. Even if there were bases to refuel on the way, you wouldnt want to keep stopping just to fill up.
More tanks are never the answer.

:D Now that's the kind of tip I need.

Off the top of your head, do you know if there's a training video on how to fuel scoop? I haven't used one before.

Off the top of your head, do you know if there's a training video on how to fuel scoop? I haven't used one before.

You shouldn't need one. Just turn on arrival so that the yellow exclusion zone circle of the star is below / to the side of your heading, adjust your speed to between 0.14c and 0.19c and just watch the temp. Usually if you get the temp to 63/64 % then throttle to zero the temp will not go up further. You will get smoke effect if your temp goes over 70% and a "temperatiure critical" audio warning over 75% but you won't actually take any heat damage under 100%.

Different ships have different temperature performance when scooping.

P.S. There are refuelling stations set up en-route to Maia - PRE Logistics Support - 6 of them, see on here: https://inara.cz/galaxy-stations/?page=477

Last edited:

There isn't an official one that I am aware of but it is pretty straightforward, Para Handy's technique is fine, once you get used to it you can use almost the same method to refuel racer style by not throttling back and just adjusting your position to the star until you line up for the next jump this way you scoop a little at each star* rather than filling the tanks each time. This is riskier but can save time over the whole trip.

Or you can zero your throttle while you are in the middle of the jump then you will come out dead slow and you can creep up on the star to start scooping. This is safe but not good if you have valuable cargo as pirates hang around near the stars and that slow you can't evade interdiction though if they start with the tasty cargo chatter you can try to turn stern on to the star then when they fly behind you for the interdiction they can get pulled out of cruise by the star which will let you escape.

* To ensure plenty of opportunities to scoop fuel go to your Galaxy Map and set your route filters under the fourth tab to Star Type and deselect everything except O, B, A, F, G, K, M these are the scoopable star types, at the bottom of the list there is a box to check to use filters for route plotting.

New to fuel scooping?
Fit a heat sink launcher, familiarise yourself with its use. You don't need to have one, but it can help if you mess up.[yesnod]

Last edited:
Important point, when fuel scooping don't start your FSD for the next jump until the scooping display has gone from your HUD and to be safe you have seen your percentage heat drop.

If you start the FSD charging while the scoop is deployed you will start to overheat.

Thanks again. As a matter of morbid interest, what does happen if a player runs out of fuel in deep space? Is there some sort of AA/RAC rescue thingy? ;)

Last edited:
Haha actually no, I make it a habit to ignore all advertising. That's funny :D

How do we call these legends, then? With acredit card number, presumably.. ;)

Make sure your mouse widget is turned on. That will help you stay out of the exclusion zone while fuel scooping. That aiming dot has helped me more times than I can count.

Ha yeah I use it all the time. Ironically, as a real pilot that flies light aircraft, I find it harder to fly a starship than a Cessna. And so that little yellow dot is kind-of my main instrument, lol.

While on fuel scooping, where do I find the controls menu entry for 'toggle fuel scoop', or does it deploy with the cargo scoop button? I understand about 0.14-0.19c is the best speed to use; I didn't think the cargo scoop deploys at that speed anyway...

Top Bottom