News New stream series: Frontier Xtra

Really enjoyed the show format and looking forward to them being a regular thing! I hope their frequency can be bumped up from monthly to at least fortnightly too :)

Anyone know where I can watch a copy of the Xtra. Trued to find it on youtube but no luck, twitch shows it as offline, I couldn't find a replay button.

Caliber

Edit:
Think I got it at

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/384837609##

I hope they put it up on YouTube, the Frontier Developments channel would be a good place, as it is it gets almost no use. It’s a good idea to saturate every outlet you have access to with information about your company and games. Not every customer or potential customer subscribes to every outlet.

I hope they put it up on YouTube, the Frontier Developments channel would be a good place, as it is it gets almost no use. It’s a good idea to saturate every outlet you have access to with information about your company and games. Not every customer or potential customer subscribes to every outlet.

For those of us in the States, YouTube works a lot better, Twitch stutters sometimes over here, depending on the content. So I agree that media saturation is to be desired in any case.
o7

I made the mistake of reading this thread before watching it, so my expectations weren't high.

It was actually a really good listen.

I hope they put it up on YouTube, the Frontier Developments channel would be a good place, as it is it gets almost no use.
Couldn't see it on YouTub.

Summary-ish: (timestamps approx., due to adverts etc? YMMV as to notes, I was jumping and FSSing)

- new forums end of March
- discussion about "accuracy of information": why hey don't discuss things until certainty
- "there will be new stuff, and it will be coming"
- discussion about sandwiches
- question "do our ideas matter?" and discussion. Yes, eg: Iguandon, day/night cycle etc, keep giving ideas
- community art from Jurassic Park
- anecdote from Jurassic Park game-play stream
- ("Doctor Woo"? code give-away)
- human sandwich stuff?
- Planet Coaster performance and QoL update announced, early March
- community items for Planet Coaster shown
- cowboys vs aliens, JRPG, castle coaster ride/parks shown
- photos from Planet Coaster meet-up shown
- Frontier community meet at PAX East
- ("Magnificent Ride"? code give-away)
- discussion about Chante's valleys

- 43:00 elite section, no announcements reiterated
- question "do you guys have a plan?", yes, brief discussion, "soon"
- discussion of state of BGS and fixes being looked at
- 47:42 showing images now released as wallpapers (24)
- 48:50 space dinosaurs confirmed!
- 49:53 player screenshots shown
- 51:50 Sag Eye briefly highlighted
- 53:38 DW2 silly buggers plunging rings
- 54:44 Fuel Rats! Highway Warrior doing rescue (link
- 56:00 Elite Meet event http://elitemeet.info/
- 57:00 Hutton Meet event 13th April
- 58:20 question "plans for changes to combat", deflected, "combat in a state happy with"
- 59:12 question "do FDev get much time to play Elite … learn features in depth", yes both at work and personal time, but not much time. Adam Woods and Steve Kerby also mentioned as playing in squadron. Streamers discussed their playtime. Challenging to know everything about game, use different sources to get answers to (gameplay) questions, if they lack specific knowledge.
- 1:03:06 question "challenges perceive/expect/guess for future of Elite?", complex and need to consider data from all sections of game, believes a bright future
- 1:05:01 question "current state of community goals?", not sure of question, like to host more player driven goals
- ("Krait MK2 paint job" and community prize pack give-away)
- 1:07:08 reiterate Xtra is "podcast with faces", last Friday of month, to recap community stuff
- 1:10:20 question of the month "getting started in the gaming industry", discussion: be experienced already, or join as junior in entry area and cross-over, make a portfolio of appropriate stuff
- 1:21:15 question "what is the composition of team members", we are carbon based lifeforms that are mostly water. Lists off all different areas
- wrap up

watched it (sort of), have to say i found no xtra! at all.

i mean, the hosts are indeed nice people but listening to the forced jokes and pressed laughs, and the feigned amazement about absolute trivialities gets old and embarrassing pretty fast. don't really see the point on filling 60+ minutes with fluff, i guess frontier's community dept has little else to do right now (!?) and if you guys like it then all good.

It may not just be for you (and me too TBH), but targeted at others who do wish this sort of engagement. Which is fine, because as a company they probably need to keep multiple different sorts of gamer-types happy.

I did find seeing the Coaster stuff interesting, even though i' very unlikely to ever buy it. No idea what the Jurassic Park video was meant to be showing? Yes I get one dino ate another, but it's not clear at all what is happening due to the darkness and my unfamiliarity.

If they answer my question on DevOps it'll be interesting, but I can only imagine them going to some grumpy old admin / scrum master / etc and asking "so about this question... can you explain it in under 3 mins?" :D

watched it (sort of), have to say i found no xtra! at all.

i mean, the hosts are indeed nice people but listening to the forced jokes and pressed laughs, and the feigned amazement about absolute trivialities gets old and embarrassing pretty fast. don't really see the point on filling 60+ minutes with fluff, i guess frontier's community dept has little else to do right now (!?) and if you guys like it then all good.

Right you are, Cmdr. Sadly, I have to agree

Sure we miss Ed, but it's great to see Will and the team carving their own path forward and doing it so well. Liked to show and the format, keep up the great work.

Coolness. If it's about Frontier, can you tell us about your DevOps processes?

Specifically around how bugs from past versions seem to creep into releases. But like what project management tool do you like/use; dev/QA methodologies SCRUM vs CMMI etc; do you use CI?
I'm quite interested in how a gaming company's devops functions vs enterprise.

So what happened to answering questions from these xtra threads?

Any chance you can get some dev members on to talk about devops practices?

Top Bottom