OA and Dj truthsayer discuss update news

There were many valid reasons to delay Fleet Carriers, the large majority posted by CMDRs in the Focused Feedback Forum when discussing features they'd expect of Fleet Carriers.

I think what you really mean is that there were a lot of reasons to be skeptical about the likelihood of Fleet Carriers being viable.

I think what you really mean is that there were a lot of reasons to be skeptical about the likelihood of Fleet Carriers being viable.
Nope. FDev stated the functionality of Fleet Carriers here
FDev said:
What privileges can the leader set?
  • Officers can plot a jump for a Fleet Carrier (yes/no)
  • Officers can select purchase upgrades for a Fleet Carrier (yes/no)
The Fleet Carrier
As you might have noticed above, it will be possible for Squadrons to possess a Fleet Carrier. We will be devoting an entire Focused Feedback thread to Squadron Fleet Carriers, so please refrain from discussing it at this time.
And that was all the info. Assumptions were made that Carriers would effectively be Megaships with similar functionality (dock, restock, refuel, repair) yet directable via Squadron leaders and officers.

Players then began posting threads asking about supplementary features, suggestions, wanting solo use, theorycrafting Carrier usage, etc, way beyond the original barebones scope.

FDev wisely delayed them.

Last edited:
Nope. FDev stated the functionality of Fleet Carriers here

And that was all the info. Assumptions were made that Carriers would effectively be Megaships with similar functionality (dock, restock, refuel, repair) yet directable via Squadron leaders and officers.

Players then began posting threads asking about supplementary features, suggestions, wanting solo use, theorycrafting Carrier usage, etc, way beyond the original barebones scope.

FDev wisely delayed them.

You really think that FDev "delayed" fleet carriers so that they could incorporate a bunch of extra functionality rather than because they simply don't work or don't exist?

You really think that FDev "delayed" fleet carriers so that they could incorporate a bunch of extra functionality rather than because they simply don't work or don't exist?
Yes.

FDev: "We'll be supplementing Squadrons with Fleet Carriers that have this limited functionality"
Players: "OMG, such barebones, so very like Powerplay, CQC, and Multicrew! Here are things we want from them"
FDev: "Okay, let's delay Carriers to allow time to add some of the functionality players want"
Players: "OMG, you delayed Carriers, you never listen to us!"

Last edited:
There were many valid reasons to delay Fleet Carriers, the large majority posted by CMDRs in the Focused Feedback Forum when discussing features they'd expect of Fleet Carriers.

LOL

And you think that back in 2017 they had no idea what fleet carriers should do or how they implement it? You think it was just announced to please the playerbase? Lets say like "Hey, it´s only one day until FX17 - lets add fleet carriers"

Come on. You are defending them on every thread and I absolutely don´t see why.

LOL

And you think that back in 2017 they had no idea what fleet carriers should do or how they implement it? You think it was just announced to please the playerbase? Lets say like "Hey, it´s only one day until FX17 - lets add fleet carriers"

That is why you are not a dev. This isn't some lame fort nite, or destiny, dead red, fo 76 or any of the other lame MP games.

LOL

I think they had seen the initial feedback to Megaships and players requesting owning their own, so began developing Fleet Carriers as an iteration of the already implemented Megaships feature. Players, naturally, wanted much more (see my previous comment), but unfortunately development time wasn't available to expand beyond the basic mechanics - hence delay.

If you don't like my opinions you can just ignore them :)

Last edited:
Just a thought. Maybe they don't talk about it because when the carrot on the stick is gone the donkey won't go where they want it to. Maybe its a new game. A new version of elite. Won't help their company if all the vets leave off and Elite Dangerous takes a dive till it comes out.

Random speculation.

Just a thought. Maybe they don't talk about it because when the carrot on the stick is gone the donkey won't go where they want it to. Maybe its a new game. A new version of elite. Won't help their company if all the vets leave off and Elite Dangerous takes a dive till it comes out.

Random speculation.
It's a paid update to Elite Dangerous.

Greetings Commanders,

We’ve had a number of questions from our community eagerly awaiting news on the future development for Elite Dangerous. We wanted to share a development update with you which talks a little more about our upcoming development plans.

-snip-

The Next Era

Back in August, we mentioned that the team had begun work on the next major era of Elite. We believe this will be a defining moment in the history of the game and it will be our biggest update yet.

In that post, we explained that the content was still very early in development, so we won’t be ready to announce it for a while. To give this more context, in order to realise the ambition for this update, and the size and scope of the content we wish to bring to the Elite Dangerous galaxy, we estimate this major milestone will be ready by the latter half of 2020.

As development progresses, we will share more news and announcements on features, as well as timelines regarding this upcoming content for Elite. We can understand that having a long wait for news can be frustrating, but we truly believe that this will be the single most impactful update for our community. Having a development team dedicated to this milestone is our continued and unwavering commitment to making Elite Dangerous the most authentic, ambitious, and expansive evolving space game in the world.

As mentioned in our previous post, this new era will be paid for content and all lifetime expansion pass owners will have this included in their pass.

-snip-

The Elite Dangerous Team

People actually read reddit?

I know you’re only being sarcastic, but according to Wikipedia:

“As of February 2018, Reddit had 542 million monthly visitors (234 million unique users), ranking as the #3 most visited website in U.S. and #6 in the world, according to Alexa Internet, with 57.4% of its user base coming from the United States, followed by the United Kingdom at 7.5% and Canada at 6.3%”

So, yes. Quite a lot of people do read Reddit.

Sorry. Not in to kiddie games.

I know you’re only heing sarcastic but the RDR games are rated ‘M’, for mature audiences (I.e. adults). And Fortnite is rated 12+.

They may not be your cup of tea, but to dismiss them as “kiddie games” would be objectively wrong.

Besides, dismissing “kiddie games” would be like dismissing “kiddie” films, like Star Wars, Star Trek, Toy Story, Inside Out, Shrek, Watership Down, The Dark Crystal, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, etc...

I.e. dismissing them only makes you sound immature.

I know you’re only being sarcastic, but according to Wikipedia:

“As of February 2018, Reddit had 542 million monthly visitors (234 million unique users), ranking as the #3 most visited website in U.S. and #6 in the world, according to Alexa Internet, with 57.4% of its user base coming from the United States, followed by the United Kingdom at 7.5% and Canada at 6.3%”

So, yes. Quite a lot of people do read Reddit.

I guess intelligence has taken a big down turn. No matter. People are smarter, have more knowledge and dumber by the minute.

We have landable megaships, we've got attack/defend missions for them, we can resupply/refit and take missions on them, and they can move around the galaxy already.

They all seem like logical steps towards full fleet carriers so viability isn't an issue. How do you fit them into the BGS must be a bit of a quandary though.

I guess intelligence has taken a big down turn. No matter. People are smarter, have more knowledge and dumber by the minute.

Or, perhaps, some people are just okay with frivolous entertainment?

My missus has an IQ of 151, organises the finances of the local government for a living and spends her evenings playing bloody Peggle like her life depends on it.

We have landable megaships, we've got attack/defend missions for them, we can resupply/refit and take missions on them, and they can move around the galaxy already.

They all seem like logical steps towards full fleet carriers so viability isn't an issue. How do you fit them into the BGS must be a bit of a quandary though.

Personally, I suspect that getting all the ships that launch from one to appear in the same instance would be a more immediate issue.

Top Bottom