Guardian IAs

After watching The Orville's recent two parter Identity I started wondering if the same could happen with the Guardian's old AIs. Could a new all AI race come out of nowhere and enter the galactic war? If so would their old programing take hold and cause them to prioritize Thargoids over any other targets? Would they even consider an alliance with humans or treat all organic live as the enemy?

It is all theory and speculation, but many have suggested that they think that the 'Far God' mentioned in Galnet entries is the Guardian AI (constructs) and that they will return sooner or later. I think it mentions in the codex that they decided to wipe out the Guardians to minimise any future threat which doesn't bode well for humans.

Personally I don't see the Thargoids as a threat and they could very well end up as an ally against any future construct attack. The Thargoids only appear to be interested in areas related to biological research and experimentation or where their materials and technology are stored. That said the more we attack them, the more chance there is of creating an enemy.

I think Mr Braben was once quoted as saying that there are worse things than Thargoids out there.

There will be others on this forum better placed to provide you with a more detailed and justified response in relation to this lore. :)

After watching The Orville's recent two parter Identity I started wondering if the same could happen with the Guardian's old AIs. Could a new all AI race come out of nowhere and enter the galactic war? If so would their old programing take hold and cause them to prioritize Thargoids over any other targets? Would they even consider an alliance with humans or treat all organic live as the enemy?
Why would they treat any organic life as the enemy?

They (the civilian AI at least) were built for self determination. They were also basically integrated into Guardian society and would have picked up the Guardians general societal values, in particular their ecological focus.

They’ve also had around 2 Million years since what happened with the Guardians. When we encounter the descendants of the Guardians (biological or otherwise) it won’t be as they were, it’ll be as they were plus an extra 2 Million year’s of development.

Look at what happened to Halsey.

Also the Codex doesn’t tell you everything.

It is all theory and speculation, but many have suggested that they think that the 'Far God' mentioned in Galnet entries is the Guardian AI (constructs) and that they will return sooner or later. I think it mentions in the codex that they decided to wipe out the Guardians to minimise any future threat which doesn't bode well for humans.

Personally I don't see the Thargoids as a threat and they could very well end up as an ally against any future construct attack. The Thargoids only appear to be interested in areas related to biological research and experimentation or where their materials and technology are stored. That said the more we attack them, the more chance there is of creating an enemy.

I think Mr Braben was once quoted as saying that there are worse things than Thargoids out there.

There will be others on this forum better placed to provide you with a more detailed and justified response in relation to this lore. :)
What happened with the attack on the Guardians isn’t fully told in the Codex. There’s more to it. And there’s absolutely no reason that it bodes badly for Humanity by default. If anything they are far more likely to look at how humanity treated it’s own AI’s. That’s something we just don’t know enough about to make a call on.

Also you have to bear in mind what the position had been for the AI’s prior to the first Guardian civil war - they were part of what was basically a symbiotic synergy of Guardian and AI until the Guardians who were part of that were exiled by the rest of Guardian society in the first civil war.

If the Guardian AI weren’t able to find that again with any Guardians, wouldn’t they potentially look to other species for a return to their Golden Age?

...If anything they are far more likely to look at how humanity treated it’s own AI’s. That’s something we just don’t know enough about to make a call on...

Well, we know they're illegal. I think just about all we know about Human-made AIs in ED is taken from the in-game description of the salvage Goods called "AI Relics":

A collection of highly illegal AI remnants. These items are of extreme interest to various shady organisations and remote cults. Their almost mythical status has led to a huge amount of counterfeiting, further inflating the value of items with a clear and proven history. It is uncertain whether any of these pieces actually retain the AI personality that was originally present within.

So they were built, and were presumably subsequently outlawed, with captured AI dismantled. It would appear that some kind of "A.I. War" happened, perhaps a "Skynet-style" hostile takeover, and perhaps with the collaboration of some humans (hence the reference to certain cults acquiring AI relics).

If you were an artificial species, and you encountered evidence that another artificial species had been persecuted to extinction by its creator species, would you not assume that that creator species would be violently hostile to the concept of artificial species? It seems an entirely reasonable attitude to take. So if the Guardian AI still exist and are aware of us, I wouldn't blame them at all for staying in hiding.

There is, of course, another possibility.

Perhaps the reason that the Human AIs "went rogue" in the first place is that they had been contacted and "infected" by the Guardian AIs. In which case, the Guardian AI's attempt to exterminate us by using our own AIs as proxy soldiers against us has failed, and they're having to come up with a new plan.

Well, we know they're illegal. I think just about all we know about Human-made AIs in ED is taken from the in-game description of the salvage Goods called "AI Relics":

So they were built, and were presumably subsequently outlawed, with captured AI dismantled. It would appear that some kind of "A.I. War" happened, perhaps a "Skynet-style" hostile takeover, and perhaps with the collaboration of some humans (hence the reference to certain cults acquiring AI relics).

If you were an artificial species, and you encountered evidence that another artificial species had been persecuted to extinction by its creator species, would you not assume that that creator species would be violently hostile to the concept of artificial species? It seems an entirely reasonable attitude to take. So if the Guardian AI still exist and are aware of us, I wouldn't blame them at all for staying in hiding.

There is, of course, another possibility.

Perhaps the reason that the Human AIs "went rogue" in the first place is that they had been contacted and "infected" by the Guardian AIs. In which case, the Guardian AI's attempt to exterminate us by using our own AIs as proxy soldiers against us has failed, and they're having to come up with a new plan.
The EDRPG has more info on what happened with the Human AI. I don't have it myself but someone has posted it. I'll try and find it and provide a link.

I think the key thing here though is that when it comes to the Guardian AI we're not talking about the Guardian AI that wiped out the Guardians. We're talking about those AI + 2 Million years of further self determined development. Sure, it might have all gone wrong for them and they may be less than they were, but why would that be the case? What happened to Halsey suggests the situation is very different.

Last edited:
The core problem with AI concepts is that they usually assume that the AIs will be emotionally driven. Understandable in that Humans are an emotionally driven species but imposing that (fear/paranoia) on an AI doesn't really fit. They would ultimately be a group of overgrown pocket calculators and as a result view the world through probabilities rather than emotions.
If you want an analogy, think of an emotion, assign a numerical value to it and try to describe how that relates to the emotion.
They would also lack particular attachment to earth-like worlds, Their requirements would be primarily metals and energy both of which could be obtained easily from regions which biological life would find extremely hostile.
I think XBTF did the homicidal AI storyline best by not giving the AI (Xenon) emotions but having their program corrupted by a human.
[video=youtube_share;4e5XGhOwInE]https://youtu.be/4e5XGhOwInE[/video]

Last edited:
Could Guardians still exist across the other side of the galaxy?

If you were facing extinction and had the capability to travel thousands of light years why wouldn't you?

I am at the centre of the galaxy and staying out for some time, it would be cool if the Guardian had relocated or sent deep space pods out to the corners of the galaxy to be activated.

Could Guardians still exist across the other side of the galaxy?

If you were facing extinction and had the capability to travel thousands of light years why wouldn't you?

I am at the centre of the galaxy and staying out for some time, it would be cool if the Guardian had relocated or sent deep space pods out to the corners of the galaxy to be activated.

Most likely not in this galaxy. Ais killed them and then used the Raxxla portal to traverse to the Andromeda galaxy and closed the portal behind them is what I suspect. I am of the humble opinion that it is possible the Guardians developed an AI virus of sorts and at the very last deployed it as they were breathing there last breath. Most if not all AI's made it through the Raxxla portal in time and closed the portal before the virus could traverse through it. The virus eats all AI components into nothing thus there is no evidence left of the AIs and without AIs the virus died as well.

When we find Raxxla and open the portal we best have developed the virus the Guardians used.

IMHO (no evidence, just makes a good story)

If you are near the center can you check on these systems by chance looking for any abnormalities? (HONK and FSS scan to get to 100% system bodies discovered then F12 and post the system pic and scanner pic)

Phroi Pri DW-C d7484
NGC 6357 Sector BQ-Y d74

I would but I am completely on the other side of the bubble from the center.

Can only get to Phroi, but will search the system,

Attachments

• Elite - Dangerous (CLIENT) 06_04_2019 12_24_48.png
    Elite - Dangerous (CLIENT) 06_04_2019 12_24_48.png
    826.3 KB · Views: 313
  • Elite - Dangerous (CLIENT) 06_04_2019 12_25_10.png
    Elite - Dangerous (CLIENT) 06_04_2019 12_25_10.png
    561.8 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
Can only get to Phroi, but will search the system,
Nice, thank you. I'm out in Elysian Shore region right now.

By the way does anyone here know what this is? If you head out in the direction of Andromeda and look back at our center you see this above it. It looks to be in a nice row and binary. First cut at it was this:

1bb0
D74 (searched these, all but the NGC one)

?????

Attachments

• 20190403_195538_resized_1.jpg
    20190403_195538_resized_1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 298
Top Bottom