Stadia: A new paradigm for gaming?

No bugs on consoles? Are you guys for real? :D You've never played Bethesda game on console? Also, what games just play from a disc nowadays? I'd imagine not as many as people say. 50Gb downloads and patches are a thing.

Last edited:
That said, there are some things about consoles I do not like. The number one thing I dislike is the paid subscription to play certain online games. Now on the flipside, many of the games we get to play this way used to be subscription-based themselves (ESO comes to mind), and for a much larger yearly fee, so I suppose it could be worse.
Sadly there was no consumer repercussion on that. (And it would have mattered, unlike the usual PC uprisings, which don't make a dent). Doesn't affect me personally though, I can live without online games.

The other thing I don't like is the lack of simulator-like games. ED is the closest game I own to this genre, and it "maps over" very well on console IMO, graphics notwithstanding. I really miss the Silent Hunter series and a good flight simulator. Oh, and better mods would be nice...
I agree, certain genres are underrepresented certain platforms. But that's not a technical limitation of the platform, it's about what simulation publishers prefer. PC OTOH misses out on a lot on narrative-based action adventures.

As for PCs offering far better graphics - absolutely, no doubt about it. But as someone who used to be on the PC treadmill, frequently upgrading my graphics card for the price of an entire gaming platform (console), here's what I discovered over the years - today's $300 console is yesterday's $10,000 gaming machine. Tomorrow's console will be today's $10,000 gaming machine. In other words, if you look at it in a timey-wimey, I am playing on a top-end gaming machine. I just had to wait a little longer :D
I was playing this "strategy" on the PC platform as well. Buying last year's GPU at half the price new (when "high-end" was still 300 bucks or so) and picking up PC deals from the bargain bin playing them on highest settings on "yesterday's extreme rig". But at some point this decade it stopped working. Physical PC games disappeared, digital prices got longterm (region-)fixed by publishers, and GPU mining made hardware prices go nuts. So I started exploring other options.

You'll never see me claiming that console games are bug-free. Cough Elite Dangerous cough bugs bugs everywhere cough hack cough cough!!

Actually, while we're at it. How is a bug situation compared to PC? :) I'd imagine it's still far less, especially the ones related to hardware. Simply because there are only a few hardware configurations you need to optimize for.

Actually, while we're at it. How is a bug situation compared to PC? :) I'd imagine it's still far less, especially the ones related to hardware. Simply because there are only a few hardware configurations you need to optimize for.
I heard Anthem bricks consoles now?

Personally I've yet to see a really game breaking bug or even a CTD on my console. Though I rarely get my titles on day one. When I finally get the Bluray for a reasonable price, it all gets patched to the latest and greatest automatically with just a few gigs of download (these few gigs were entire games previously) and it is usually a entirely flawless experience.

Also you are never going to experience the "just got an older game on a sale and your windows/drivers are too new, so it crashes" experience on a console. Either it works or it works on the previous generation. :D

DOOM has thrown the largest patch on me (30 GB) so far (which was just useless multiplayer garbage). But thankfully I don't have to endure downloading 120 GB AAA titles in their entirety.

You get a hearty "Amen!" from me :D

That said, there are some things about consoles I do not like. The number one thing I dislike is the paid subscription to play certain online games. Now on the flipside, many of the games we get to play this way used to be subscription-based themselves (ESO comes to mind), and for a much larger yearly fee, so I suppose it could be worse.

The other thing I don't like is the lack of simulator-like games. ED is the closest game I own to this genre, and it "maps over" very well on console IMO, graphics notwithstanding. I really miss the Silent Hunter series and a good flight simulator. Oh, and better mods would be nice...

As for PCs offering far better graphics - absolutely, no doubt about it. But as someone who used to be on the PC treadmill, frequently upgrading my graphics card for the price of an entire gaming platform (console), here's what I discovered over the years - today's $300 console is yesterday's $10,000 gaming machine. Tomorrow's console will be today's $10,000 gaming machine. In other words, if you look at it in a timey-wimey, I am playing on a top-end gaming machine. I just had to wait a little longer :D

The times have changed since 2 - 3 years. Moores Law is not compliant anymore. CPUs these days are nearly at their physical limit when it comes to transistor size. A 2500k cpu ist still viable today being over 7 years old. Same thing is happening on the gpu market, Nvidias Pascal cards or 1000 series are still one of the fastest on the market despite being over 2 years old.

Back in the days you had to upgrade every 6 months but thats long time ago. Now you can take 1k € upwards and have a decent setup for 5 years or even longer.

The times have changed since 2 - 3 years. Moores Law is not compliant anymore. CPUs these days are nearly at their physical limit when it comes to transistor size. A 2500k cpu ist still viable today being over 7 years old. Same thing is happening on the gpu market, Nvidias Pascal cards or 1000 series are still one of the fastest on the market despite being over 2 years old.

Back in the days you had to upgrade every 6 months but thats long time ago. Now you can take 1k € upwards and have a decent setup for 5 years or even longer.

That argument cuts both ways. The PS5 may be my last "traditional" gaming console. It will keep me satisfied for years to come, it will run my large catalog of PS4 (and maybe even PS3) games, and by the time my PS5 reaches "end of life", I suspect technology like Stadia be mature and replacing both traditional consoles and gaming PCs.

That argument cuts both ways. The PS5 may be my last "traditional" gaming console. It will keep me satisfied for years to come, it will run my large catalog of PS4 (and maybe even PS3) games, and by the time my PS5 reaches "end of life", I suspect technology like Stadia be mature and replacing both traditional consoles and gaming PCs.
When I launch a new title on my 2013-spec PS4 (not "Pro") , it doesn't feel like the hardware is on its last breath and desperately needs an upgrade.

So when it comes to spending on hardware, the requirement is created purely artificial. This is especially true for PC parts - it isn't the 1990s anymore.

As the owner of a 'non-gaming' iMac, this is of interest to me. I might even be able to get ED back through macOS.

Perhaps ED on Stadia is coming late 2020?

Last edited:
Depends on how MS will react.

That actually brings up another point - will all these new streaming services offer cross-platform play? Playstation already has a limited streaming service, I'm not sure about XBox, but I believe one is in the works (hence your Microsoft post), now Google wants to get into the mix, and then there's Steam, which I'm sure would love to have their own "Steam Box" for streaming, and I could see even Netflix and Amazon leveraging their content delivery system for gaming. If all these streaming game providers end up being silos, that'll be a real mess.

Hopefully these are are just virtual PCs, each with a network connection that allows them to play with any other PC real or virtual. Sony best get it's head out of the sand when it comes to crossplay.

Last edited:
Streaming?
Here is your streaming box:

steam-link-2.jpg

It's out since 2016.

Then why is OP news as if it is something "new"?
Because Google "me too" made a buzz and their parrots from the press don't have a clue about anything?

And the most important question, does this steaming steam box include ED?
It works with every PC game. You can rent "cloud gaming" PCs since forever:

Wikipedia

• Like (+1)
Reactions: EUS
'Cloud Gaming'/'Game Streaming' just sounds to me like 'playing on someone else's computer'.

Pass.

I don't even care about the latency, I just want reliable access to my games without having to pay for a third-party subscription to them. There are any number of points of failure on a streaming service and I have absolutely no say over how that hardware is managed. Here, on my own PC, I have all the say, and all the control. Add to that I'll be damned if I'll let Google suddenly decide I can't play my games anymore because I have a wrong opinion on something. No thanks, pass pass pass pass pass.

Last edited:
'Cloud Gaming'/'Game Streaming' just sounds to me like 'playing on someone else's computer'.
Which is essentially what it is. That's why Stadia is listed in Wikipedia alongside numerous other cloud services.

It's not a "new paradigm" or "game console" or whatever.

Mu77ley

Volunteer Moderator
They already have that box. It's out for years.

Yes, and it was laggy and horrible even over LAN (I binned it in the end).

I predict Stadia will be just as successful as OnLive was between 2010 and 2015 (when it shut down). ;)

Top Bottom