Pathways with Scenery Objects & Plazas

Hello everyone and hello Devs,

I am new to the forum, and I apologise in advance if this idea has already been posted, or should be posted somewhere else.

Well, congratulations to the team on making such a wonderful looking and playing game, (coming from someone who hasn't even played the pre alpha yet but has seen many videos) The game is looking fantabulous!

I have many points of praise for the game, but I am sure they have all been mentioned by numerous fans and members of the community on this forum and elsewhere so i will mention only the two points in which I think the game could be improved regarding pathways only. :)

Points on Pathways

1. 'scenery object placement on a pathway'.

When an object of scenery is placed onto a pathway then it should immediately become impassable terrain. This would stop peeps from walking through scenery objects whilst they are placed on a pathway. I don't know how hard this would be to implement, but it looks silly when you place a boulder or a column in the centre of a pathway and everyone walks straight through it. If they were to walk around an object, areas like 'the lost Main Street by Silvarret' or the 'Western themed area' made by Kukamonda would look amazing.

2. 'Plazas or large space pathways'.

My second thought, is please make it possible to build plazas/large open paved areas. Those little points in between connected pathways look silly and all theme parks have larger open paved areas. :p

Well that's about it, Well done guys on creating such a wonderful game! <3

Hello everyone and hello Devs,

I am new to the forum, and I apologise in advance if this idea has already been posted, or should be posted somewhere else.

Well, congratulations to the team on making such a wonderful looking and playing game, (coming from someone who hasn't even played the pre alpha yet but has seen many videos) The game is looking fantabulous!

I have many points of praise for the game, but I am sure they have all been mentioned by numerous fans and members of the community on this forum and elsewhere so i will mention only the two points in which I think the game could be improved regarding pathways only. :)

Points on Pathways

1. 'scenery object placement on a pathway'.

When an object of scenery is placed onto a pathway then it should immediately become impassable terrain. This would stop peeps from walking through scenery objects whilst they are placed on a pathway. I don't know how hard this would be to implement, but it looks silly when you place a boulder or a column in the centre of a pathway and everyone walks straight through it. If they were to walk around an object, areas like 'the lost Main Street by Silvarret' or the 'Western themed area' made by Kukamonda would look amazing.

2. 'Plazas or large space pathways'.

My second thought, is please make it possible to build plazas/large open paved areas. Those little points in between connected pathways look silly and all theme parks have larger open paved areas. :p

Well that's about it, Well done guys on creating such a wonderful game! <3
don't agree with impassable always. as an option yes. because walking through doors is desired.
doors that actually open would be even better...

don't agree with impassable always. as an option yes. because walking through doors is desired.
doors that actually open would be even better...

I agree, it shouldn't be every object, and doors is a very good example.

OP - Glad you're liking the look of the game, I'm surprised you've only come up with 2 items in your list. I believe Frontier are looking into both of these issues as I've seen them numerous times in the alpha forums.

Last edited:
Yes I agree, I forgot about doorways. Doorways are an exception :) animated doorways even better! :)

Well I have other points i could make but they are not about pathways, the thing that bugs me the most is that lighting doesn't change when indoor as opposed to being outdoor. If I build a long brick tunnel with a brick ceiling and no windows and run a pathway inside, it looks just as bright inside as it does out.

I don't think dark rides would be that hard to make, all they would have to do is tinkle with the lighting and shadows, that way If I build a large enclosed space with no windows from wall pieces, that space should be black inside and would require lighting to illuminate the space/Or windows etc.

It is the same when you build a coaster that goes through an underground tunnel, take oblivion at Alton Towers for example, once you enter the tunnel you can see nothing, and the light gradually gets brighter as you approach the exit of the tunnel. If all in games objects, rides and landscapes created realistic shadows and block light from lamps/Sun etc then dark rides would become possible.

Yes I agree, I forgot about doorways. Doorways are an exception :) animated doorways even better! :)

Well I have other points i could make but they are not about pathways, the thing that bugs me the most is that lighting doesn't change when indoor as opposed to being outdoor. If I build a long brick tunnel with a brick ceiling and no windows and run a pathway inside, it looks just as bright inside as it does out.

I don't think dark rides would be that hard to make, all they would have to do is tinkle with the lighting and shadows, that way If I build a large enclosed space with no windows from wall pieces, that space should be black inside and would require lighting to illuminate the space/Or windows etc.

It is the same when you build a coaster that goes through an underground tunnel, take oblivion at Alton Towers for example, once you enter the tunnel you can see nothing, and the light gradually gets brighter as you approach the exit of the tunnel. If all in games objects, rides and landscapes created realistic shadows and block light from lamps/Sun etc then dark rides would become possible.

Agree, all of these points have been talked about and reported in the bugs section, I believe Frontier will be looking into it. though some people have made some great indoor rides - best viewed when it's night time though...

Deleted member 48540

D
I can think of more things that should not be impassible on paths. Stuff like leaves from trees and low bushes. And how about seaweed hanging over a path. I bet there's more that can be thought of.

The point I'm trying to make is that we need to be careful not to get systems in place that limit the 'artistic freedom' of the builder too much.
I think the greatest thing that Planet Coaster has going for it is the freedom it gives you when making stuff, but it does come at a price sometimes: flickering textures, people clipping through things etc. However there are times where I'd rather settle for some flickering textures or clipping, then not being able to build what I want to build at all...

A lot of other theme park builders have systems in place that prevent clipping etc, for example take RCTW where you cant clip hedgerows into eachother. Ok, you don't get flickering textures/clipping then, but it limits what you can make badly at the same time. I think it's exactly this freedom of being able to place stuff how you want it is what sets apart Planet Coaster from the other games out there (next to many other things the game has going for it), so personally I'm all for not becoming too 'physical correct' when it comes to stuff like this. Even when placing walls on a path. I'd rather be able to place an 'invisible' no clipping block at places where I don't want people to walk for example, over people getting stuck at an arch that would just clip their hair/hat a bit. Something worth considering I think :)

Probably not the best place to ask, but I didn't want to create a new thread for this question. Does anyone know if it will be possible later on to put a path through the gate underneath the genie ride?

Probably not the best place to ask, but I didn't want to create a new thread for this question. Does anyone know if it will be possible later on to put a path through the gate underneath the genie ride?

probably not, but who knows :D

probably not, but who knows :D

I knew I saw it somewhere in the first dev diary. If you pause that video at 3:47 you can see the genie ride in the top of the screen. it's completely white and hard to spot but you'll see that there is a path through the gate. It would be a shame if they didn't make this possible. I know a few real parks that have that.

I'm almost sure that Sam mentioned something like this on the second live stream. I believe he said that it is going to change, so you can build things underneath it.

I can think of more things that should not be impassible on paths. Stuff like leaves from trees and low bushes. And how about seaweed hanging over a path. I bet there's more that can be thought of.

The point I'm trying to make is that we need to be careful not to get systems in place that limit the 'artistic freedom' of the builder too much.
I think the greatest thing that Planet Coaster has going for it is the freedom it gives you when making stuff, but it does come at a price sometimes: flickering textures, people clipping through things etc. However there are times where I'd rather settle for some flickering textures or clipping, then not being able to build what I want to build at all...

A lot of other theme park builders have systems in place that prevent clipping etc, for example take RCTW where you cant clip hedgerows into eachother. Ok, you don't get flickering textures/clipping then, but it limits what you can make badly at the same time. I think it's exactly this freedom of being able to place stuff how you want it is what sets apart Planet Coaster from the other games out there (next to many other things the game has going for it), so personally I'm all for not becoming too 'physical correct' when it comes to stuff like this. Even when placing walls on a path. I'd rather be able to place an 'invisible' no clipping block at places where I don't want people to walk for example, over people getting stuck at an arch that would just clip their hair/hat a bit. Something worth considering I think :)

Hello, yes I also agree and like the idea that Planet Coaster gives you freedom to do whatever you like whilst placing scenery and I also wish it stays the same. As for seaweed hanging over pathways or a branch of a tree that hangs over a pathway I don't see how that would change anything. When I said that placing scenery on a pathway should become impassable, I meant scenery that is directly placed i.e. touching the path, however anything that hangs above or over the path would not be impassable. Obviously doors would be an exception as they usually don't hang over or above a path but are placed directly on the path, but for example if I want a large tree branch to hang a foot above a path to trip up my guests, well then it would not be impassable. :)

No, but you can put a coaster through it! Maybe pathing will one day not have fixed snapping heights - this seems weird in a game where we can turn it off for everything else!

Top Bottom