The scenery and building systems need to be unified into one, coherent concept. Not two separate chunks with two separate sets of rules.

Hadn't noticed that limitation actually. Odd that multiple scenery pieces can be duplicated that way when you're editing a building though.

Hadn't noticed that limitation actually. Odd that multiple scenery pieces can be duplicated that way when you're editing a building though.
Strange that you hadn't noticed that limitation.
Cause you are forced to make a "fake" blueprint (which you delete after) if you want to copy/paste a part of a building, or you need to ... completely redo this part, piece by piece.

These are the two possible choices [sad]

Strange that you hadn't noticed that limitation.
Cause you are forced to make a "fake" blueprint (which you delete after) if you want to copy/paste a part of a building, or you need to ... completely redo this part, piece by piece.

These are the two possible choices [sad]

I think it's pretty messed up that I need to make 6-7 blueprints for a fence (with just differing lengths), just to create large scale fencing around a roller coaster. That was my excitement last night. Created a coaster, then spent 25 minutes messing with fence length blueprints so I didnt have to select the small fence blueprint 200+ times. In the end it might've actually been more efficient to just click on the original blueprint over and over again.

I'm actually torn between nodding and shaking my head. On one side it's super-tedious to build, landscape and such, but on the other, all the workarounds and tricks i explored by trial and error kinda made the whole thing quite challenging. I DO like the split-into-two building/scenery system, though it's not logically sorted. What i miss is an option to place a grid item as free scenery object and vice-versa. Same goes for variations of the same thing, the items are not following along the logic of the Scenery/Building system.

@OP: you forgot to mention how tedious it is to get those scenery items back into the building's group. [squeeeeee]

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I think it's pretty messed up that I need to make 6-7 blueprints for a fence (with just differing lengths), just to create large scale fencing around a roller coaster. That was my excitement last night. Created a coaster, then spent 25 minutes messing with fence length blueprints so I didnt have to select the small fence blueprint 200+ times. In the end it might've actually been more efficient to just click on the original blueprint over and over again.

What i do is (given there is enough space, i drag copys of the object(all within the "Building") to a secluded spot so i can drag-select the part without selecting anything else whenever i need a copy while i build

I agree that there should be a better way. But there are a couple of workarounds that help in some situations. I posted these on another thread but they may be worth repeating here

First, I would suggest watch silvaret's tutorial about how to make a build from scenery items. (at lest the first few minutes)
[video=youtube;RnZ0MicEQ5Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnZ0MicEQ5Q&t=240s[/video]

You can also combine buildings but can leave you with problems when you want to use different grids (Like a diagonal section). Steps:
  1. Go into edit on the building you want to copy from
  2. Select everything you want to copy (draw a box or control click them individually)<do not use multiselect, it will kick you out of edit mode>
  3. Click copy or press control D
  4. Click Done
  5. hover over the building you want the items to go into and watch for the "add to building....." hint to show and click.
  6. If you have grid items in the stuff you copied, you'll be able to move them as needed and they will be aligned grid. If you only have non grid items, they will be placed where ever you click and you may have to move them (M or control X).

Another feature available.....If you have a building (say a house) and you've put shrubs and trees around it and they aren't part of the house building but you want copy/rotate/whatever without having to reselect all the time. You can use multiselect and select non grid items plus the building and there will be a little button that allows you to add them to the building (has a plus sign on it). Doesn't work for more than one building. Only one building and any number of non grid items.

I know....not solutions, just workarounds. They have saved me from some of the hassles of create extra blueprints just to copy stuff around the park.

That's a good video but also out of date, hopefully he will make a new version.

If you build the crystals with a building piece attached to group them as a building, you can edit building and select the crystals and freely rotate them on all axis if you dont select the building piece. Also duplicate them and freely rotate them. So you could make a whole field of crystals with the 1 single building piece hidden away underground.

I think the building in the game is great myself, although a bit confusing to start with once you get used to it its great since the new additions like the one i just mentioned and also the 'spilt selection from building' option. Build it on the grid and split it, then use ctrl+x to advance move a single building (example fence). I'm rubbish at explaining but if wanted i could try to make a guide with screenshots. Also if you move a selection of scenery pieces (non grid items!) you can click on a building piece and it will make it part of that building. So example your crystals, select them, click move, click on a 'building'. As long as the add to building box is checked, it will now be a park of a building.

There has to be a reason frontier have not allowed free rotation of the grid building pieces, probably because it would cause more bugs. But building wonky buildings is possible if you made your own walls from scenery pieces. Yes its not perfect but it does work, very well if you know how.

Last edited:
I'm actually torn between nodding and shaking my head. On one side it's super-tedious to build, landscape and such, but on the other, all the workarounds and tricks i explored by trial and error kinda made the whole thing quite challenging. I DO like the split-into-two building/scenery system, though it's not logically sorted. What i miss is an option to place a grid item as free scenery object and vice-versa. Same goes for variations of the same thing, the items are not following along the logic of the Scenery/Building system.

@OP: you forgot to mention how tedious it is to get those scenery items back into the building's group. [squeeeeee]

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

What i do is (given there is enough space, i drag copys of the object(all within the "Building") to a secluded spot so i can drag-select the part without selecting anything else whenever i need a copy while i build

I agree that there should be a better way. But there are a couple of workarounds that help in some situations. I posted these on another thread but they may be worth repeating here

First, I would suggest watch silvaret's tutorial about how to make a build from scenery items. (at lest the first few minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnZ0MicEQ5Q&t=240s

You can also combine buildings but can leave you with problems when you want to use different grids (Like a diagonal section). Steps:
  1. Go into edit on the building you want to copy from
  2. Select everything you want to copy (draw a box or control click them individually)<do not use multiselect, it will kick you out of edit mode>
  3. Click copy or press control D
  4. Click Done
  5. hover over the building you want the items to go into and watch for the "add to building....." hint to show and click.
  6. If you have grid items in the stuff you copied, you'll be able to move them as needed and they will be aligned grid. If you only have non grid items, they will be placed where ever you click and you may have to move them (M or control X).

Another feature available.....If you have a building (say a house) and you've put shrubs and trees around it and they aren't part of the house building but you want copy/rotate/whatever without having to reselect all the time. You can use multiselect and select non grid items plus the building and there will be a little button that allows you to add them to the building (has a plus sign on it). Doesn't work for more than one building. Only one building and any number of non grid items.

I know....not solutions, just workarounds. They have saved me from some of the hassles of create extra blueprints just to copy stuff around the park.

I appreciate both of these posts! I will mess around later and put this into motion. I don't ever want to have to do what I tried to do last night, ever again.... and I love fences! :)

IcANzjR.png

Sad news, guys. Screenshot from the livestream. Scenery STILL cannot be duplicated. I don't understand this restriction. [cry]

http://i.imgur.com/IcANzjR.png

Sad news, guys. Screenshot from the livestream. Scenery STILL cannot be duplicated. I don't understand this restriction. [cry]

I also saw them rotate a building piece 90 degrees by pressing z.

Still can't rotate on all axis or move off of the grid. Are we really on the fifth update for this game already now? Have these issues not even been acknowledged? Hope that this is fixed soon, it's why I haven't played this game in a while.

Last edited:
I also saw them rotate a building piece 90 degrees by pressing z.

Still can't rotate on all axis or move off of the grid. Are we really on the fifth update for this game already now? Have these issues not even been acknowledged? Hope that this is fixed soon, it's why I haven't played this game in a while.

If you are expecting the building grid itself to change, I think you'll be disappointed. That seems pretty core to the game mechanics.

For me, the limitation of not being able to tilt the grid and not being able to group scenery items without putting in a grid item with them is bigger issues than the 90 degree grid. There are so many workarounds for overcoming the 90 Degree grid, but it's a pain to have to deal with non grid items that cannot be "joined/grouped" and stay that way when placed in the game.

I would like to see in priority order:
  1. Non grid items to be able to be grouped like buildings
  2. To be able to group several buildings in one even after place (a blueprint of 3 buildings stays grouped when placed)
  3. Actually tilting the grid (tilt buildings.....thick Leaning tower of Pisa)

If all 3 are implemented, a grid that is something other than 90 degrees isn't all that valuable.

Via a bug. Which we fixed. Sorry but this was never intended, supported or even still working in the current code.

Cheers

Andy

Out of interest Andy you guys have told us a number of times it wasn't intended but not why. Is there a specific reason it wasn't intended and we can't have it back because honestly it gets asked a lot and no one here has thought of a reason tbh.

And it would stop or at least reduce threads asking about said "accidental feature".

Last edited:
Via a bug. Which we fixed. Sorry but this was never intended, supported or even still working in the current code.

Cheers

Andy

Surely you guys have seen the people wishing for the ability to rotate all pieces freely off grid like scenery items, though. Is there any word on that as a possibility? They're just models, there's gotta be a way to disconnect them from the grid, I can't imagine individual models have grid-focused placement hardcoded into them. [haha] I'd hate to have to wait for modding to exist for modders to do this bit. Would really clutter up the menu if they had to duplicate every building piece as a scenery piece or something, but I'm sure people will do it eventually.

Any response to the suggestions and explanations for how things could be improved on both halves of the build systems? How about the question of not being able to duplicate scenery selections unless they're currently inside of a building? A lot of us are baffled on that one. [happy]

Last edited:

AndyC1

A
Sure - the simple reason is that it's a lot of extra code work to support this, and we felt the time was better spent on other aspects of the building system. There are a lot of edge cases for things like terrain casting, shop paths joining up etc. We didn't intend this to be possible, so it's not unsurprising that a bunch of issues arise when you use exploits to accomplish this.

Cheers

Andy

Fair enough on rotating buildings or a "scenery-ify" keybind or whatever.

But back on the topic of the scenery system/build system having different rules...anything for us? [tongue] I think my post with pictures lays it out pretty nicely, would really appreciate some information on this.

Sure - the simple reason is that it's a lot of extra code work to support this, and we felt the time was better spent on other aspects of the building system. There are a lot of edge cases for things like terrain casting, shop paths joining up etc. We didn't intend this to be possible, so it's not unsurprising that a bunch of issues arise when you use exploits to accomplish this.

Cheers

Andy

Cheers Andy. The response Is appreciated :) does mean that we can "never say never" however certainly not on the list. I would however suggest if you made a pole with 20 features this would be in the top 2 along with more terrain textures in biomes which we also know is a technical reason. Just hope and prey that maybe by next xmas we have these things as it would be killer.

Cheers

Andy
Well ...

Even if it was a "bug" for you guys, It would still be better to be able to rotate anything in every axis (including a wall, a roof, or a full blueprint), except if it contains something that can be connected to a path (like a shop, a bench, a bin, an ATM)
But if it's just an empty replica of the tower of pisa, a crooked house, etc ... then terrain and/or paths does not come into consideration for us, because in this case, it's just a "scenery item" like any other. [yesnod][up]

Top Bottom