Create size variations of flat ride models

I think it would be a good idea for Planet Coaster to offer multiple sizes of the same flat ride. It is common for flat rides to have a compact traveling version for carnivals and fairs, larger permanent structure version for parks, and sometimes high capacity versions for really crowded parks.

Take the swinging pendulum rides with the arms that have seats attached to them. They come in:

All 3 versions of the same ride vary significantly in footprint, capacity, and cost. The ride experience is nearly identical, but also slightly different (I find the Freak Out to be the most fun since the swinging acceleration is more pronounced). Each of the ride versions uses the same seats, similar support struts, and the same retracting platform. The movement and animation of the different rides is also nearly identical. Why is that significant? Because it saves the artists and coders working to bring a ride to life significant time by reusing common elements between the different sizes.

This same scalability is applicable to other rides. Swinging discs, carousels, drop/launch towers, swinging ships, chair swings (ground level and the super-tall ones), and more. I really think it would add to the game while incurring minimal development overhead. Not every ride can have multiple sizes, but most of them can.

Finally, this would also impact the management aspects of the final game. Most of our established amusement parks were started as smaller fairs that have incrementally upgraded over the years. Some of us managed RCT parks in a similar way by gradually building larger and larger attractions (ie: I'd start with shuttle loops before I'd build a serious circuit coaster). Having the ability to put in smaller, cheaper rides at the start only to move up to larger ones down the road as attendance and revenues increase could positively affect the park management simulation. We could even replace older, smaller rides with higher capacity ones as what has played out over the years in theme parks.

Just a suggestion, but I think it would make a huge difference and really set Planet Coaster apart from the competition!

Finally, this would also impact the management aspects of the final game. Most of our established amusement parks were started as smaller fairs that have incrementally upgraded over the years. Some of us managed RCT parks in a similar way by gradually building larger and larger attractions (ie: I'd start with shuttle loops before I'd build a serious circuit coaster). Having the ability to put in smaller, cheaper rides at the start only to move up to larger ones down the road as attendance and revenues increase could positively affect the park management simulation. We could even replace older, smaller rides with higher capacity ones as what has played out over the years in theme parks.
I agree and would like these features [up]

Last edited:
Agreed. While I love the Venetian Carousel, I would love a larger version.......as it stands, I am now building a double decker carousel in my park to compensate.....not a big deal.....but it would be cool if like we can scale the inversions on coasters, if we could scale the size of the flat rides......not a necessity, but maybe for an expansion?

Vampiro

Volunteer Moderator
In a perfect world where they have unlimited time and money i would agree...

Unfortunatly they don't and choices have to be made. Im already happy if some rides will come in a themed style and a generic style. Besides that i want to have as many different rides as possible...

Once again, im not disagreeing with you... but considering they have limited time and money to develop stuff i would prefer if they spend their time on other things instead of making 3 versions of the same ride.

Unfortunatly they don't and choices have to be made. Im already happy if some rides will come in a themed style and a generic style. Besides that i want to have as many different rides as possible...

Once again, im not disagreeing with you... but considering they have limited time and money to develop stuff i would prefer if they spend their time on other things instead of making 3 versions of the same ride.

Agreed..not necessary...but a far off wish list....what I really want is WATER.......and WOODEN COASTERS........if they just gave us those things and a few flat rides and nothing else, I would be happy.

I see where you're coming from and recognize that doing multiple sizes of the same ride does not cost zero development resources. It is simple to do on the generic rides, but may be more complex on the themed rides. Regardless, we're talking about making minor modifications to a ride to increase or decrease its presence -- not come up with a completely new ride. I'm no expert at Maya, but this is something I would feel confident in timely handling were it my role.

This suggestion idea would be nice to have, but yes, not a high priority. Maybe people can think about it if they find some idle time.

If you look closely at your own examples. You can clearly see that while they are the same ride, they vary in appearance and structure. Planet coaster's Devs want to recreate authentic rides/coasters. If you simply scale the 3d model it will not be correct.

While I would love to have more options and different sizes of the flat rides. It would be a ton of work to implement them.

Top Bottom