Dev Diary #2 - Rewarding Creativity (Gameplay, UI and coaster building included!)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
God forbid you have an opinion that doesn't coincide with other people. Better ban you for speaking your mind.

I can't see why the mods still back-up the game with pride... I'm all about giving a fair chance to each game, but at this point you'd have to be in complete DENIAL to say RCTW will be a great game. Just look at the history, they disappointed us 3 times within the past year. Their dev-blogs are bad, that poorly put together "behind-the-scenes" video was bad, and the livestreams are bad, their marketing in general is bad. Matt Labunka... that guy, he just comes off as irritating and annoying. So do his mods, especially that JMR guy who hosted the livestream for RCTW Friday. If you still believe Atari will surprise us, they won't, it's Atari... As for Frontier, they're doing some amazing work.

God forbid you have an opinion that doesn't coincide with other people. Better ban you for speaking your mind.

Bashing and flaming sounds a bit different to simply not liking the game. By all means go to the off topic forum and talk about how you don't like the game.

I can't see why the mods still back-up the game with pride... I'm all about giving a fair chance to each game, but at this point you'd have to be in complete DENIAL to say RCTW will be a great game. Just look at the history, they disappointed us 3 times within the past year. Their dev-blogs are bad, that poorly put together "behind-the-scenes" video was bad, and the livestreams are bad, their marketing in general is bad. Matt Labunka... that guy, he just comes off as irritating and annoying. So do his mods, especially that JMR guy who hosted the livestream for RCTW Friday. If you still believe Atari will surprise us, they won't, it's Atari... As for Frontier, they're doing some amazing work.

I just got banned by JMR for saying that that live stream didn´t reveal much new :D. I will just make a complaint I guess (even if it will change nothing), as he is abusing his role of moderator. And yea, their marketing is plain bad. I also dont like that we bscly can see only Matt, while PC team got introduced with several members. As you said, Matt comes off as irritation and annoying person you can´t trust a word in the end.

I hope PC will keep up this level of marketing, because they do it just right and Im buying PC next month for sure! You got my money PC :)

Could we just stop the off topic now ? :)

The title is : "Dev Diary #2 - Rewarding Creativity (Gameplay, UI and coaster building included!)"

Please ?

Have you played Minecraft? Those blocks that form the ground - those are voxels.
You can think of a pixel as a 2D representation of a square, while a voxel adds the third dimension - and one voxel is equally wide, high and deep.

Brett C

Frontier
Let's keep the off-topic RCTW "moderator-y" talk away from this thread, thanks! [happy]

I don't want to mass delete posts for off-topic, we've been pretty lenient on the entire moderation process thus far. [happy]

Have you played Minecraft? Those blocks that form the ground - those are voxels.
You can think of a pixel as a 2D representation of a square, while a voxel adds the third dimension - and one voxel is equally wide, high and deep.

Thank you so much. That´s very kind from you [hehe]

And as John said:´a voxel should be a meter in the game

Last edited:

interesting I didn't know that before. But this would mean that it need high performance or not? And if voxel is 1 meter how this would look nearby a guest in the park?

interesting I didn't know that before. But this would mean that it need high performance or not? And if voxel is 1 meter how this would look nearby a guest in the park?

Voxels should be a fairly efficient way of representing geometry in game. As with anything though, the more you have the more computationally expensive it is to draw. It seems that the game engine will blend nearby voxels together so it isn't blocky like Minecraft, so that will increase complexity. As with everything Frontier do, I'm sure they're designing their game to run on as broad a set of hardware as possible.

As to how it looks next to your guests, I get the impression this is for big scenery and landscaping. The smaller stuff will be taken care of with prefab scenery such as rocks.

interesting I didn't know that before. But this would mean that it need high performance or not?
The reason Minecraft is making your CPU go so hot, is due to Java. It sucks every bit of CPU power and sucks at performance. I applaud the Minecraft devs for making it perform as well as it does actually.

I'm quite sure Frontier have implemented something else than Java for their engine. ;) Frontier use their own engine if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
Voxels should be a fairly efficient way of representing geometry in game. As with anything though, the more you have the more computationally expensive it is to draw. It seems that the game engine will blend nearby voxels together so it isn't blocky like Minecraft, so that will increase complexity. As with everything Frontier do, I'm sure they're designing their game to run on as broad a set of hardware as possible.

As to how it looks next to your guests, I get the impression this is for big scenery and landscaping. The smaller stuff will be taken care of with prefab scenery such as rocks.
Lag by landscaping is easy to hide from. I think when you have lag that the other side of the ground is loaded. But when you unload the other side than is there 1/2 less lag.

Brett C

Frontier
The reason Minecraft is making your CPU go so hot, is due to Java. It sucks every bit of CPU power and sucks at performance. I applaud the Minecraft devs for making it perform as well as it does actually.

I'm quite sure Frontier have implemented something else than Java for their engine. ;) Frontier use their own engine if I'm not mistaken.

Cobra engine is definitely not made in Java; https://www.frontier.co.uk/our_technology/ [happy]

Wish I could. But I'm on a student budget, so I can't justify purchasing coaster head access AND early bird, as I plan to get into. [sulk]

Wish I could. But I'm on a student budget, so I can't justify purchasing coaster head access AND early bird
Same thing here. I know that feeling...
Anyway, going back on topic, I saw the terrain modeling tools... it's possible to create some caves and grottos, maybe this could help for some possible Dark Rides without them being in the game. I know, it's not the same thing, but it may be a temporary solution!

Same thing here. I know that feeling...
Anyway, going back on topic, I saw the terrain modeling tools... it's possible to create some caves and grottos, maybe this could help for some possible Dark Rides without them being in the game. I know, it's not the same thing, but it may be a temporary solution!

I want both as well. They should offer a discount if you get everything.

That aside, I have already planned on making coasters that start with some winding underground segments followed by, hopefully, a launch to above ground.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom