Sandbox or Campaign/Scenario - Which Do You Prefer?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Everyone seems to have their preferences when it comes to playing these sort of games. Some just like using the Sandbox mode, which allows you to build just Coasters, or build your own park from scratch.

Other people may prefer to start with a Scenario or Campaign and improve their park by creating more income, to build more rides and add more facilities. That is the beauty of these type of games, you as the user, have the choice to play the game as you want to, I don't think anyone will disagree with that.

I like to do a bit of both really, just as a challenge, but I must admit, I do prefer using the Sandbox mode, more than anything else, because you can design coasters, that are as small or large as you want within certain limitations. But I think being able to build your own park and landscape it with hills, water and rides, is much more enjoyable. The only one thing that niggles me with RCT3, when starting a new park in Sandbox, is the ever ticking clock. It would be nice to be able to turn this off, whilst building your park. So when you finally decide to open your park to visitors, you can turn on the clock and start at Year 1.

The last park I built in RCT3, took me 28 game years to complete before I opened it to visitors. On that time scale in the real world, many of my rides would only be fit for demolition, and the whole place would be looking sorry for itself.

So which do you prefer when it comes to playing? Lets have some replies and let us know what you prefer!

Sandbox. I love to make my own Themeparks. Building with the scenery to make my coaster complete is the best thing ever! [squeeeeee]

Have to say I like the Scenario's more, while I dabbled in a ton of Sandbox mode later in these types of games, it's due to two factors, one as the OP mentioned, being able to make my dream park without limitations but the more pressing reason is no more Scenario's! The reason I like scenario's like most games, you are aiming towards goals. Unlock these items, make this VIP happy, that sort of thing. Challenges that still keep within the realm of the genre but add a nice twist. Definitly thou the biggest payoff for me in these types of games is the research and unlocks. Getting everything at once is like insta christmas and the day after it starts to wear out.

So at least for me , I love Scenario's, but then I can take thousands of hours within just doing a sandbox, for these games are all about creativity. The one thing I just "LOVE" about Planet Coaster atm is their emphases on keeping your people (Peeps) happy. With all the work done just to the people and how they react , not only can I judge my park by their reactions, I can sit there for an hour and do minior adjustments while watching my little people running around, almost playing a god role too keep my followers happy. Kinda cool :)

Edit: I should note on the scenario thing, I do hope we see allot more variances with planet coaster, for instances I can come up with three off my head I think would be a blast, thou the game would have too support them....
- Parade Day "It's your day to make your park sparkle! Hold a parade in your park that rivals all others!"
- Fast Food Mayhem "Do we like burgers, fry's and soda's? Sure do! But variety is the spice of life! Supply your park with 12 unique food items and 2 thrilling rides above an 8.2 rating"
- Spook night! "It's time to dazzle , delight and scare your guest to the extreme! Have 3 coaster and two rides with a thrill ratiing of 9.1! Get that rating higher by setting the mood to scare them stiff!"

Last edited:
I almost play Sandbox mode in RCT3 so I prefer that. But if you could build together (max 2 players), it wil be awesome!

Scenario to have goals to strive for. Sandbox to test, think outside the box, and do something different if the game gets boring (will it ever?)

I like how the scenarios have preexisting stuff and terrain, but I like sandbox, because I can do anything.

Scenarios for me. I'm not a fan of sandbox mode at all and never play it. There is no challenge. No fun. I need a goal to aim for. That way I can build my dream park while striving to be a successful park manager.

I love the scenario more. I like to build around the terrain and not have to bother to terraform and decorate entire map. Plus the objectives are fun to try to meet. Yes I like challenging! (Of course in a gradual way the first couple of scenarios are more of introductory ones)

Then when I have played all the scenarios or maybe halfway through, depending on how many there are and how challenging these are, I start with sandbox mode to make my own park. I also like to make my own scenario when able, and I would like to be able to download user-made. But I would prefer if there's 30+ scenarios already included.

Thank you to those who have replied so far. Quite a mixed bag really, but it seems that most of you prefer the Scenarios, rather than the Sandbox. I noticed that a few of you would like to see some multi player brought into the game and that's fine if you like that sort of thing, but it's something I am not really bothered about in a game. I prefer to play or build on my own at my own pace, without worrying about other players.

Whatever your choice of play, the most important thing is, that you enjoy what you like doing. The beauty of these sort of games, is that there is always something different you can do with every scenario, or so many different types of parks you can create in sandbox, be it a small park or a large park. Or maybe a flat park, or one that is heavily landscaped, the choice is yours.

Some of the parks made by the community in RCT3 are really works of art and I take my hat off, to some off you, who must have spent months designing them. Some of them are really spectacular, with some beautiful themed rides full of character and imagination. Yes if Planet Coaster can come up with something to improve on RCT3, then that will be great.

Anyway, keep the replies coming, it's interesting to see how others play RCT3 and what type of play they prefer. [rolleyes]

I noticed that a few of you would like to see some multi player brought into the game and that's fine if you like that sort of thing, but it's something I am not really bothered about in a game. I prefer to play or build on my own at my own pace, without worrying about other players.
I agree with you. Multiplayer could be nice, but at the moment I'm way more interested on the Singleplayer factor.
About the gamemode... Well, I play with the Scenario Editor... So I have more freedom than the sandbox mode (Can set the park size, changing the entrance, etc.) and then eventually transfor the sandbox park.. into a scenario!

Both are important. Sandbox for designers and Scenarios/Campaigns for "players" who want a challange...it's not one or the other. I hope we'll get clever and original scenarios with a good challange. I loved the scenarios of RCT 1 + the first addon...but I must admit, that I didn't like the ones of RCT3 that much, mostly because they were way too easy and too specific in their themes (Spooky-Park, Western-Park, Arabian-Park)...a good idea will be, if we get a campaign where we must create our own theme-park franchise, expand it and build parks in different countries of the world and under different conditions...similar to the bullfrog-classic "Theme Park" ...but with more variety and different settings.

Last edited:
Both are important. Sandbox for designers and Scenarios/Campaigns for "players" who want a challange...it's not one or the other. [...]
+1

This sentence summarizes very well.

[...] I loved the scenarios of RCT 1 + the first addon...but I must admit, that I didn't like the ones of RCT3 that much, mostly because they were way too easy and too specific in their themes (Spooky-Park, Western-Park, Arabian-Park)... [...]
+1

Same for me. Love the scenarios of RCT1, not the ones of RCT3.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom