Where can i find engineered NPC to fight with?

I try to find NPC to fight with and can't do it last two weeks.

Unauthorized installations removed.
Pirate Activity Detected POI removed.
Convoy Dispersal Pattern UUS in anarchy systems removed.

Combat Zones - funny, but to chaotic and pointless.
RES and Beacons - too easy, except with cargo of course, but with cargo it is often easy too.

And i don't want to have any interactions with aliens.

Try wing pirate kill missions - tad boring after a few as same format, 1 engineered FDL and between 1 to 3 engineered Vultures with phasing sequence, not easy on your own if a full wing of 4.

Try wing pirate kill missions - tad boring after a few as same format, 1 engineered FDL and between 1 to 3 engineered Vultures with phasing sequence, not easy on your own if a full wing of 4.
While i get reputation war in system is ending and assassination missions is going away.

Pirate Activity Detected: you need a system in Civil Unrest or Lockdown security state. These are relatively rare - especially Lockdown - and the act of blowing up the pirates in those zones will tend to bring it to an end anyway in a few days, so you'll need to move around a bit. But there should be several about if you look around a bit.

Unauthorised Installations: all of the ones in the Colonia region (Kojeara, Ogmar, Carcosa) are still here. I don't know of a list of ones in the Sol region, though - but there should be plenty out there somewhere.

Wing assassination missions are pretty good for it, but somewhat variable about where they show up. No idea where's good for them at the moment.

Ok. May be. But compared to the others from Pirate Activity, they are not engineered.

You're looking for pirate activity? I was in a system the other day full of pirates. I can't remember which system it was, however. I'll do some backtracking today, and if I find it again, I'll let you know.

The best way to challenge yourself is to downsize your ship and go after larger/high rated opponents.

Be ready to be space-dusted, but the re-buys aren't much and you will gain skill as well.

One of the biggest issues with NPCs is that they're bullet sponges. Even though the AI has improved, they need even more help.

Even though the AI has improved

iu

LDS 2314, Ellis Orbital.
It has High Intensity Combat zone just outside the station and it also yields a lot of kill pirate lord wing missions or assassination missions.
I use to alternate High CZ with stacked pirate lord missions.
And I find High CZ quite entertaining, especially if you try to fulfill all the objectives.

Engineered NPCs can be found in...

wing assassinations
pirate activity
combat zones
atr (not engineered so much as god-moded)

The combat zone enemies are by miles the strongest engineered, with almost all having engineered shields and hulls.

Now to the silly statements of cheating NPCs... NPCs don't have infinite anything except MC ammo and point defense ammo. They have limited chaff, SCBs, heatsinks, and DO take heat damage. They DO have to manage their pips, they CANNOT fly FA off and do not have super thrusters allowing them to turn faster than us, or 'flip on a dime' as people so frequently contend. I think maybe the speed of combat is causing time to pass more quickly for those people, relativity and all that. ;)

The two major cheats they do, are 1) If they wake out, their ship can be repaired and interdicting you again as few as 10 seconds later, and 2) impossible jump ranges...Aside from the aforementioned infinitte MC ammo, which is specifically to avoid them runnin out of ammo and waking out of combat.

Now to the silly statements of cheating NPCs... NPCs don't have infinite anything except MC ammo and point defense ammo. They have limited chaff, SCBs, heatsinks, and DO take heat damage. They DO have to manage their pips, they CANNOT fly FA off and do not have super thrusters allowing them to turn faster than us, or 'flip on a dime' as people so frequently contend.

I confess, I make silly statements about cheating NPCs. I purposefully try to make them "silly" so people don't take them too seriously. HOWEVER... While NPCs might not cheat in the traditional way, they have inherent advantages over average human players. The main advantage is they have infinite hands and fingers with no mechanical lag. So for example, they can instantly and perfectly coordinate pip management while flying, boosting, and shooting. On my platform with my controller, I have to take a thumb off one of the sticks to change pips, a process with inherent delays, both mental and mechanical. A computer AI that can instantly switch pips around has an effective "all pips to everything" compared to their human counterparts.

This can also be applied to their precise turning and flipping - they can set throttle for optimum turning, apply the appropriate lateral thrusters, all pips to engines, perform their flip, and then rebalance for combat all in an instance. Doing this on a DS4 (especially the throttling part) is anything but "instant."

And of course there's the NPC's perfect aim with fixed weapons, surprisingly good with things like railguns and PAs, regardless of rank...

Finally, I question your claims. You say that NPCs cannot fly FA-off, but I've seen others claim the contrary. Are you citing facts, and are they current facts? My personal complaints are against the 3.3 version of NPCs. I'm seeing NPC cargo ships and Belugas pulling flips that just feel impossible without FA-off. Granted, I cannot definitively declare that they are indeed using FA-off to make these flips, unless perhaps I record a video and time them...

I think maybe the speed of combat is causing time to pass more quickly for those people, relativity and all that.

That's an interesting theory.... If I'm fighting for my life in a Viper, perhaps, but when I'm just sitting in my turret-covered BattleConda calmly observing NPC behavior, not only against me but watching NPC battle NPC, well there's no "stress-based time dilation" during these scenarios.

Also, I engage in PvP, which is way more "stressful" than PvE. Humans are usually much better more realistic pilots, but I'm not seeing them do the "impossible" things I see NPCs doing since 3.3 dropped, unless they are in heavily-engineered ships. IMO engineering gives large ships too much of a manuevering buff - a Cutter, Conda, and even Corvette should not be able to "whip around" like a Courier, but that's a debate for another thread.

TL;DR - I really don't enjoy PvE combat like I used to, largely because of the "impossible things" mid-tier NPCs are doing since 3.3 dropped, at least on PS4. This has nothing to do with win or lose, I always win, but "cheating" NPCs spoil the fun of the actual combat, IMO of course.

While NPCs might not cheat in the traditional way, they have inherent advantages over average human players. The main advantage is they have infinite hands and fingers with no mechanical lag. So for example, they can instantly and perfectly coordinate pip management while flying, boosting, and shooting. On my platform with my controller, I have to take a thumb off one of the sticks to change pips, a process with inherent delays, both mental and mechanical. A computer AI that can instantly switch pips around has an effective "all pips to everything" compared to their human counterparts..

This is not correct. Different levels of AI have different levels of pip handling ability and there are deliberate delays built-in so that they don't use their computer-like speed. Even shooting railguns, they are not a patch on a good player, and suffer terrible heat problems as a result of spamming them as they do.

This can also be applied to their precise turning and flipping - they can set throttle for optimum turning, apply the appropriate lateral thrusters, all pips to engines, perform their flip, and then rebalance for combat all in an instance. Doing this on a DS4 (especially the throttling part) is anything but "instant."

I can't mitigate for your chosen control method, suffice it to say that as mentioned above, they don't do things with computer-like speed, as you imagine they do, they are programmed to behave in a human-like way in that respect. Moreover, I am able to perform all those adjustments at the same time with my HOTAS. What percentage of players would you suggest are on PS4? I hope you don't think it would be appropriate for my AIs to get a nerf so that DS$ players can compete? It;s not my fault FD went with the exact same version of the game for the console release. I will mention that they spend most of their time with 4 pips to ENG, which perhaps explains why you percieve them doing things that you can't, it's because you don't have full pips to ENG, and it's why their shields will often melt like a wet paper bag once you do get them under your guns.

And of course there's the NPC's perfect aim with fixed weapons, surprisingly good with things like railguns and PAs, regardless of rank...

Again, nope. Firstly, lower levels of NPC are notably less good at firing fixed weapons, while Elite NPCs almost never miss a railgun shot. This is one thing I will give you (they are freakishly good with railguns, not PAs or any other fixed weapon though), however, they are not as good as the best players. They also don't open fire at maximum railgun range (thank god), they wait for some arbitrary range to be reached, so you can keep them at a distance and use your own long range railguns.

Finally, I question your claims. You say that NPCs cannot fly FA-off, but I've seen others claim the contrary. Are you citing facts, and are they current facts? My personal complaints are against the 3.3 version of NPCs. I'm seeing NPC cargo ships and Belugas pulling flips that just feel impossible without FA-off. Granted, I cannot definitively declare that they are indeed using FA-off to make these flips, unless perhaps I record a video and time them...

I don't care what others claim, you can take it from me as gospel that up to 3.3 for sure (and I haven't seen anything that contraindicates this is the truth since then) that NPCs CANNOT fly FA off. I know this because it was stated by the person who programs the AI, Sarah Jane Avory (or MoM) on more than one occasion, along with a lot of my other points, when she too got tired of people imagining that the AI cheats.

Also, I engage in PvP, which is way more "stressful" than PvE. Humans are usually much better more realistic pilots, but I'm not seeing them do the "impossible" things I see NPCs doing since 3.3 dropped, unless they are in heavily-engineered ships. IMO engineering gives large ships too much of a manuevering buff - a Cutter, Conda, and even Corvette should not be able to "whip around" like a Courier, but that's a debate for another thread.

I also do more pvp than pve these days, both in squadron 1v1 practice (twice a week), wider inter-group wing practices (once a week) and real multiple contact engagements with outlaw groups (about once a fortnight), and I have never ever seen an AI do something that a player can't do twice as fast and twice as accurately. The AI are utterly pitiful compared to the commanders I fly against and so they should be. You'd be stunned how quick I can 'whip the vette around' with my controls. Perhaps the joypad is the problem here as well? Not being facetious, genuine thought.

TL;DR - I really don't enjoy PvE combat like I used to, largely because of the "impossible things" mid-tier NPCs are doing since 3.3 dropped, at least on PS4. This has nothing to do with win or lose, I always win, but "cheating" NPCs spoil the fun of the actual combat, IMO of course.

I don't believe that FD went to the trouble of changing the AI combat code for the PS4 release. I hope I've helped you come around more to the idea that they aren't cheating half as much as you suggest. :) I don't 'enjoy' fighting the AI any more, but then I find most humans laughably easy to kill as well, it's only the good ones that are worth worrying about and they do things the AI can only have digital dreams of. :)

This is the best I can do as far as evidence goes...Unfortunately, the original links don't work since the forum 'upgrade'. ;)

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/do-npcs-cheat.437888/#post-6850672

Last edited:
Top Bottom