Powerplay Action against bots and cheats

Goose4291

Banned
As I understand it from a number of older threads concerning this 5C/bots issue, once they were "caught" on video, they moved to Solo (never understand why they would do this in Open anyway). I'm no expert at scripting (I have zero experience in that regard) but I have to assume this is something that can only be done on PC, right? There have been at least two (or more) threads suggesting that PP be "Open Only" so other players can see the activity and create counter-measures for it. Of course, there's the time difference and instancing issue to complicate things.

Based on the ship names of the Mahon 5c bots, it was done in a bite your thumb manner aimed at genuine Mahon supporters as to how powerless they were to stop them.

I've been trying to get Frontier to do something about blatant cheaters for years now, to no avail. Even going as far as doing operations with a large group of people and posting the results on Reddit, gaining the attention of gaming news sites and Frontier employees themselves. You can gather all the evidence in the world, make it as public and widespread as possible, and all they'll ever do is give a flimsy canned response of "uhh, whoops, we're looking into it" - and literally nothing will happen after that.

You can read both threads about our investigations into their handling of repeat combat logging here: thread 1, thread 2

Incredibly sad to see a game mechanic like powerplay get completely ruined by rampant unpunished cheating and also the existence of solo/private. Most of the PvP community would do nothing but powerplay if it was implemented properly.

Goose4291

Banned
I've been trying to get Frontier to do something about blatant cheaters for years now, to no avail. Even going as far as doing operations with a large group of people and posting the results on Reddit, gaining the attention of gaming news sites and Frontier employees themselves. You can gather all the evidence in the world, make it as public and widespread as possible, and all they'll ever do is give a flimsy canned response of "uhh, whoops, we're looking into it" - and literally nothing will happen after that.

You can read both threads about our investigations into their handling of repeat combat logging here: thread 1, thread 2

Incredibly sad to see a game mechanic like powerplay get completely ruined by rampant unpunished cheating and also the existence of solo/private. Most of the PvP community would do nothing but powerplay if it was implemented properly.

Plus you end up fighting a war of attrition with the anti-change brigade bolstered by the 67th Braben's Own White Knight Regiment of Horse, which is a war you're never going to win because of forum consensus.

Exactly what I am proposing, and I can't see nothing wrong in it. Bots, even used for personal progression, should cause a perma-ban.
So... what do you propose instead? Because I'm asking for control and radical actions against them, apparently you do not agree. Just asking of course. Your solution? Even if it's a "there's no solution, let's keep things the way they are because it's not worth it to invest resources".
I never said I disagreed with you. Again, stop projecting the opposing opinion onto me. I am not here to shut you down. I actually agree with what you're proposing. I am here bringing up the difficulties FDev would face when trying to combat botting.

Goose4291

Banned
Ok, we all agree they must do something, then.

Now: how do we ask?

You don't.

The only way to force FDev to implement a change is to go after one of their preferred player groups with whatever exploit it is you're trying to expose.

Their hierarchy will be back channelling to the devs and a hot fix for a problem that's been known for over a year will be magically implemented double quick, like with the 1t transaction drama last year.

Ok, we all agree they must do something, then.

Now: how do we ask?

Good luck trying to get Frontier to punish blatant cheaters in this game. I've been trying for years but have given up, along with the rest of the PvP community. FDev is an incompetent development team when it comes to multiplayer games.

The solution to botting is the same as to other forms of cheating. Collect a lot of telemetry and once a repeat offender is confirmed, ban/delete the account.
i don't know if telemetry can be enough to recognize bots.

it can't. once you have a working bot it is easy to add some randomness to it. the real problem is that the real gameplay consists on undisturbed mindnumbing a-b hauling. when human gameplay is indistinguishable from what a bot can do, there you have a problem.

there isn't a single dimensional solution. if you force open only you still have the p2p mish-mash that's impossible to deal with.

ofc right now the only real mitigation would be active human policing, enforcement and frequent patches. a cat and mouse game you would naturally expect from any online multiplayer game, but frontier historically will just not do.

I agree with the OP, if Powerplay is to remain unchanged for the foreseeable future.
However I suspect the most efficient approach would be to roll-out the game developments that have occurred since Powerplay was introduced. A focus on missions, use of ingame tip-offs to create semi-persistent action hotspots and a tweak to the new CZs would help. Overall, working with the principle of replacing the exploitable grind mechanics, and devaluing self-destructive acts (5C) would be a far better use of the Dev's time than belatedly starting to police a set of mechanics that have had fatal flaws since inception.

If I re-remembermember rightly, Sandros proposal had weighting that made systems that were spoon grade much costlier to prep. I'd suggest that the devs stick to that proposal in its entirety and maybe match it with a reset like squadrons if collapse is never going to arrive.

I know this'll get shot down in a heartbeat but: what would happen if all PP members simply stopped playing it for 4-6 weeks? FD wouldn't lose any money over it since we don't pay a subscription fee, but since the BOTS would still be in operation, FD could then see who's getting the benefit of BOT operations.

Simple. Find a way to make billions with combat logging and it's gone in a day or two :ROFLMAO:

or you could make powerplay open only

Actually that's been suggested by several of us already. If I remember correctly, there's time differences, instancing issues and platforms don't talk to each other. That's not to say it's not a bad suggestion, but it would only solve a part of the issue (if it solves anything at all).

Actually that's been suggested by several of us already. If I remember correctly, there's time differences, instancing issues and platforms don't talk to each other. That's not to say it's not a bad suggestion, but it would only solve a part of the issue (if it solves anything at all).

Well I'd call that an improvement. :p

Top Bottom