Rebel Galaxy Outlaw takes swipe at Elite Dangerous

There were a number of games where you had all that freedom. I think the oldest one would be Descent from '95 or so. Then there was the X-series or things like Independence Wars. And yes, none of them ever was utterly mainstream. Neither is ED.

These control options come with the price of complexity. The more options you provide, the more likely you will overburden some people, reducing your player base. But based on that, a mere button clicker game should be the most successful of them all. Which it isn't, as going too low means you loose the part of the player base who enjoys complexity.

All in all, I think that the quote from RGO's page is more honest that they intended it to be. For me it reads a lot like "we aim for simplicity and want to cater to the stupid". Time will tell how it turns out. I guess it can be a very fun action based game. It intentionally gets rid of any simulation aspect and thus can eliminate one of ED biggest problems: the steep learning curve. But in turn it also won't scratch the same itch as ED does.

They'll be very different games. The only connection is that in both you have the ability to shoot at things in space. I wouldn't see them as rivals and if RGO feels the need to take cheap shots at quite different games, I wonder what confidence they have in their own product. (And if they really think that it's a smart idea to not only take cheap shots at other games, but even their player base. Insulting people is not exactly how you make people like your product. )

Rebel Galaxy was pretty damn fantastic. Excellent setting, music, plot, and all the stuff you didn't know you wanted from a game like this. Want to see what Malcolm Reynolds and the crew of the Serenity could've accomplished with some cash and big guns? Play it!

Can't really compare it to Elite though. It's not even shooting for the sort of thing we got going on here - which is good!

I am so going to buy Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, it looks a lot like the old Privateer 1 and 2.
As soon as it comes to Xbox One that is.

The new Starpoint Gemini 3 seems good too with a 1st person cockpit now and flying fighters instead of capital ships in 3rd person only.

From RGO's page:

It seems this is aimed squarely at Elite Dangerous, because I'm not aware of that many games that have six degrees of freedom. Thing is, I'm one of those "people preoccupied with realism." Elite's 6 DOF is one of the reasons I prefer it over NMS or SWB2 (we don't have many space games on console). I was looking at RGO as a potential alternative to ED while it's in "buggy as hell" mode, but reading this description of RGO actually turns me off...

So I'm curious, are we the exception or the rule? Are there any other space games out there that have ED's 6 DOF and 'realistic' flight model? Is ED "doomed" because of 6 DOF, or does its approach to realism ensure it has a competitive place in the bigger space game genre that seems to be pandering to arcade-style gameplay? I'm just curious of your opinions.
They're not wrong.

RG has always been the 'console gamer' space game. It's a good idea, honestly. Different niche to fill. I keep forgetting to check RG out, come to think of it....

I almost quit right there in the beginning of RG when I realized it was 3rd person perspective and restricted onto a plane. Now looking back, after IDK, maybe three or four playthroughs of the main storyline, I think it might be one of my top5 favorite games on the PS4 platform.

RG really hit the sweet spot, being flowy and arcadey, yet sufficiently complex to keep players engaged, providing sufficient steady progress to never become boring or grindy. Not something I can say for ED, I find the relatively short periods of 6DOF combat its only redeeming quality, to me it's mostly a really boring game with some fun bits.

It is precisely because I actually do have ADD that I also have it on medical record that I'm not stupid. I went through a lot of cognitive tests for my diagnosis. Counting that, plus the fact that I have been dabbling in software engineering for 20 years and counting, I can pretty confidently argue that my preferred level of realism vs compromises thereof in order to favor fun gameplay is more a matter of personal taste than of cognitive capability. I find the "bah, filthy casuals" remarks kind of an intellectually lazy stance to take, the world is more complex than that and people have different motivating factors for their choice in video games.

So I'm curious, are we the exception or the rule? Are there any other space games out there that have ED's 6 DOF and 'realistic' flight model?
The X-Wing & Tie Fighter series (XW, TF, XWvsTF, XWA), Descent 1 & 2 (arcade 6DoF), Freespace 1 & 2, X series, Privateer, Freelancer, Evochron series, Infinity Battlescape, EVE Valkyrie, Hellion, Star Citizen, Dual Universe, etc...

From RGO's page:

It seems this is aimed squarely at Elite Dangerous, because I'm not aware of that many games that have six degrees of freedom. Thing is, I'm one of those "people preoccupied with realism." Elite's 6 DOF is one of the reasons I prefer it over NMS or SWB2 (we don't have many space games on console). I was looking at RGO as a potential alternative to ED while it's in "buggy as hell" mode, but reading this description of RGO actually turns me off...

So I'm curious, are we the exception or the rule? Are there any other space games out there that have ED's 6 DOF and 'realistic' flight model? Is ED "doomed" because of 6 DOF, or does its approach to realism ensure it has a competitive place in the bigger space game genre that seems to be pandering to arcade-style gameplay? I'm just curious of your opinions.
I enjoyed first Rebel galaxy for what it was. I would never compare it with Elite, just like I won't compare pixel art side scroller to Skyrim, although I enjoy both. RG is what it is. A gunslinging sci-fantasy. The atmosphere always reminded me of Firefly and that's why I loved it. I think the Outlaw will be similar, but again - I wouldn't compare it with Elite nor would I feel like I have to choose between the two.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
I don't see it as a direct jab at Elite. Plenty of space combat sims have 6DOF, going back to the 90s. I love Elite, but it doesn't stand alone. One of their devs (Travis Baldree) said that they were worried back when they released Rebel Galaxy that they'd be competing with SC and Elite, but that in hindsight 'those games were not doing what we were doing' or something to that effect. I think this is more what they mean with this comment. They're not putting down others, just saying that their vision is different and wanting potential customers who may feel the same way to know that they're offering an alterernative.

Double Damage games are plenty irreverent, though, that's true. They've taken pretty direct shots at Star Citizen. They have a pretty trollish (in a good way) presence on Twitter. I find them refreshingly honest and sincere, TBH.

I liked Rebel Galaxy, although I never fished it. I'm very much looking forward to RGO.

The X-Wing & Tie Fighter series (XW, TF, XWvsTF, XWA), Descent 1 & 2 (arcade 6DoF), Freespace 1 & 2, X series, Privateer, Freelancer, Evochron series, Infinity Battlescape, EVE Valkyrie, Hellion, Star Citizen, Dual Universe, etc...
Wow, you're going way back in time! Of the ones I played in this list, Descent is the only one I remember being true 6DOF. Privateer, Freespace, some of the others, I don't remember them having vertical and lateral thrusters or the ability to "hover". Ironically this is one of my major gripes with ships in Star Wars Battlefront - I'm always moving forward, even in space, so I'm forced to do strafing runs as if I'm an airplane dependent on lift rather than a ship that can "hover" like a helicopter. This is even more ironic since ships in Star Wars vertically take off and land.

On the other hand, I greatly enjoyed games like Wing Commander and Freespace back in the day, so if ED hasn't spoiled me and RGO has an option for flight that's at least on par with these, then I might still enjoy it.

It seems this is aimed squarely at Elite Dangerous, because I'm not aware of that many games that have six degrees of freedom.
There has been a few.

Jumpgate: The Reconstruction Initiative was one of the first online space games to have full newtonian physics when it launched back in 2001. Played this for a good few years until later got in to EVE Online. It looks very dated now and the official servers have long since shutdown along with the dev company, but there is still a server going in the hands of fans of the series.

Vendetta Online is another one I remember playing briefly which also has newtonian physics. That also has been going for years with a small dev team working on it, but again now looks quite dated.

I am no combat expert, but I have played other space games, and always compare them to ED. I prefer the 6DOF to what I've experience in other games. Auto-tracker is fine, I guess, but if it was in ED, I would deactivate it.

Yeah this auto tracker whatsit sounds kind of like the game comes with its own aimbot, what is the point in a spaceship game if the damned thing flies its self? Thats the main reason I have never played EVE is the idea of playing a third person perspective with executive control rather than piloting from the cockpit is the total opposite of what I want from a space game.

Wow, you're going way back in time! Of the ones I played in this list, Descent is the only one I remember being true 6DOF. Privateer, Freespace, some of the others, I don't remember them having vertical and lateral thrusters or the ability to "hover". Ironically this is one of my major gripes with ships in Star Wars Battlefront - I'm always moving forward, even in space, so I'm forced to do strafing runs as if I'm an airplane dependent on lift rather than a ship that can "hover" like a helicopter. This is even more ironic since ships in Star Wars vertically take off and land.

On the other hand, I greatly enjoyed games like Wing Commander and Freespace back in the day, so if ED hasn't spoiled me and RGO has an option for flight that's at least on par with these, then I might still enjoy it.
Of the older games, Freespace 2 definitely did (on the Shivan ships once you got them, manual key binding required), but it turns out Freespace 1 didn't. I could be wrong on the XW/TF series, and Privateer, it's been such a loooooooooooong time.

Elite Dangerous, Evochron Legacy, X4, IB, EVEV, Hellion, SC, and DU, are all recent games with 6DoF.

Other games that do have 6DoF (yet I haven't played) are Tachyon The Fringe and Allegiance.

A lot of games people are mentioning, I've not heard of (I've been a console snob for too long, LOL). I'm glad other games are using 6DOF, as I'd hate to think the future of space games is arcade-only.

Yeah this auto tracker whatsit sounds kind of like the game comes with its own aimbot, what is the point in a spaceship game if the damned thing flies its self? Thats the main reason I have never played EVE is the idea of playing a third person perspective with executive control rather than piloting from the cockpit is the total opposite of what I want from a space game.

Then just don't press the autotracker button, problem solved.

Not saying I'm looking forward to this feature myself but I can definitely see the rationale for it, in most "airplanes in space" type space combat games you are locked in this constant loop trying to get onto the six of the enemy ship, and it really is a brainless activity that could easily be handled by a script. I think this problem gets even worse in games with "match target speed" feature. So if you're going to do that, might just as well let autopilot try to steer you towards the dot on your radar, while you figure out the tactical stuff like how you're going to break from this stalemate situation.

For the record, I like how in ED this chasing-in-circles not a thing because if you're doing a constant radius arc, you're most likely maneuvering in a suboptimal way.

In RGO, you can also take it in the other direction, you can disable inertial dampening and be facing in a different direction than where you're traveling. It's not the full FAOff kind, you always have rotational dampening it seems, but the linear aspect is there and I think that's the level most players are comfortable with so once again, I think it's a pretty good bet on what's most likely to have the best coverage in the playerbase.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTt667dTPbU

Last edited:
A lot of games people are mentioning, I've not heard of (I've been a console snob for too long, LOL). I'm glad other games are using 6DOF, as I'd hate to think the future of space games is arcade-only.
I think that is inevitable thanks to continuous dumbing down of gameplay and degradation of human intelligence.
We have to enjoy things like Elite while we have them.

Top Bottom