Why have a profanity filter option if you're gonna ban people for swear words?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I've been banned for a few days now for using swear words in the in-game chat. I'd really like to know what the point of having a profanity filter is when someone can turn it off and then report someone for language and get them banned from the game?

It's also insane that a couple swear words can get you banned, instantly, for multiple days but someone who combat logs, which the devs have said IS CHEATING, can do it over and over again with nothing but an email warning them to stop.

Edit: I was not doing anything to "get around" the censor. I typed swear words in the game chat, the other player had his profanity filter turned off and yet he still reported me for my language.
This is wrong, turning the filter off should forfeit the ability to report players for language.

Last edited:

Lestat

Banned
I've been banned for a few days now for using swear words in the in-game chat. I'd really like to know what the point of having a profanity filter is when someone can turn it off and then report someone for language and get them banned from the game?

It's also insane that a couple swear words can get you banned, instantly, for multiple days but someone who combat logs, which the devs have said IS CHEATING, can do it over and over again with nothing but an email warning them to stop.
If it was my kid you are playing with and you are using Foul Langauge I would have reported you also. It's your mouth your fault. See you don't know the age of the person you are playing with. Even if the game rated 13. It also depends on if it was racial or not.

So have a nice vacation from Elite Dangerous.

Oh, when I am in combat with someone else. I have my Mic Muted. So I can cuss as much as I want. Without having someone go, Hay, he said blank blank blank.

Last edited:
Don't see any real contradiction here.

The swear filter is there as an attempt to minimise foul language but if you try to get creative in order to circumvent it then you still get penalised.
Equally, it's perfectly possible to be horrifically offensive without using any swear-words at all, which is also perfectly reasonable grounds for punitive action.

Don't be a tool and it isn't a problem.

(Y'see what I did there?)

Lestat

Banned
I agree with the op.
I dont give 2 about other peoples kids. Those other people should be responsible parents and set the filter to on when allowing their children to play online, with complete strangers. Bad parenting has no excuse.

The filter is obviously a joke.
Thing is it doesn't matter if it was a kid or an adult. HIS MOUTH HIS WORDS HIS FAULT and it is why he is on vacation. Thing is we don't know what the OP said. Could it be religions base? Racial? or Gender identification. Depending on how close the words hit on the person the more offended that person was and bring up the reason why to report him or her.

This dude ^ is just a unbelievable!

Not only he's ganking players, which he openly admits to but he's also using foul language in-game??? What a masterpiece!

Dude, maybe you should cut yourself from the internet as it's clear you can't co-op with other human beings!!!!!!

I'm proud of how our developer instantly flushes out such a jewels of our community.

AND GIVE US YOUR NAME IN-GAME FINALLY!!! FOR ME AND OTHERS CAN PUT YOU ON IGNORE LIST AND FORGET ABOUT SUCH A DISGRACEFUL PERSON FOR GOOD!!!!!

Thing is it doesn't matter if it was a kid or an adult. HIS MOUTH HIS WORDS HIS FAULT and it is why he is on vacation. Thing is we don't know what the OP said. Could it be religions base? Racial? or Gender identification. Depending on how close the words hit on the person the more offended that person was and bring up the reason why to report him or her.
I understand what you mean but you're misunderstanding me.

I was not doing anything to "get around" a filter.

In the game there is a profanity filter that you can turn on or off. This other player had the filter turned off and then reported me for my language.

I would assume that if your kids were playing, you would have the filter on and my swear words would be censored.

I agree with the op.
I dont give 2 about other peoples kids. Those other people should be responsible parents and set the filter to on when allowing their children to play online, with complete strangers. Bad parenting has no excuse.

The filter is obviously a joke.

I can't believe what I'm reading! "Bad parenting"??? Where are such "people" comming from????

The swear filter is there as an attempt to minimise foul language but if you try to get creative in order to circumvent it then you still get penalised.

But you can turn the filter off. That implies it's only there to minimise how much you get exposed to language, not how often it's used. The point is, it's inconsistent. If there's a policy on profanity in-game, please make it clear and don't give the option to turn off the filter if doing stuff that would be filtered gets you banned anyway.

Also, I can't say 'cockpit' without it getting filtered. If I get banned for that I will probably die of laughter.

Lestat

Banned
I understand what you mean but you're misunderstanding me.

I was not doing anything to "get around" a filter.

In the game there is a profanity filter that you can turn on or off. This other player had the filter turned off and then reported me for my language.

I would assume that if your kids were playing, you would have the filter on and my swear words would be censored.
Maybe what you should do it report it to Frontier with the Commander name. If they have done it with you they might have reported other people. You could be your get out of free card.

I bet it was foul attitude, harassment and abuse, not the choice of words that got you banned.
I know a lot of you would love to believe this but truth is,

There is another ganker that I don't get along with and have history with. He attempted to gank me in my orca as I was coming into Shinrarta but do to the orcas amazing speed I just boosted away from him every time he pulled me. Once I got back to Jameson he sent me a message calling me a coward and I replied "lol (lady part)"

Last edited:
But you can turn the filter off. That implies it's only there to minimise how much you get exposed to language, not how often it's used. The point is, it's inconsistent. If there's a policy on profanity in-game, please make it clear and don't give the option to turn off the filter if doing stuff that would be filtered gets you banned anyway.

Also, I can't say 'cockpit' without it getting filtered. If I get banned for that I will probably die of laughter.

In your world then you need to be constrained with laws for not to be harmull to other human beings?????? Omg!!!

Lestat

Banned
Best idea OP. Is report the person that reported you or at least give a timeline so Frontier could look into it. They might be crying wolf to you. If they done it to you they might be doing it to the other. The best idea is to send a ticket.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom