Exploring

Let me first say that in the past I have successfully mapped planets with no problems, Ok so I've travelled for enough away from occupied planets enough to find planets that have not been discovered yet, However when I try to use the FSS I am told to press and hold "Y" which I do, I get a message to say that the "FSS is activated" but thats it, no "honk" whatever that is, the gris comes up at the bottom with red wave thingys on it but thats all. I've also moved the cursor over the glowing bits all to no avail, I seriously need some help here guys please.

On Xbox you press and hold A to honk from the FSS...
Alternatively, you can do a normal honk using your discovery scanner when you first drop into a system and then your FSS should work as normal from that point.

Hope this is helpful...

Edit:
Once you hover over a glowing area, you adjust the tuning of the FSS to pinpoint it and zoom in to discover it.

Sorry, I’m finding it hard to explain without writing a novel.

Last edited:
On Xbox you press and hold A to honk from the FSS...
Alternatively, you can do a normal honk using your discovery scanner when you first drop into a system and then your FSS should work as normal from that point.

Hope this is helpful...

Edit:
Once you hover over a glowing area, you adjust the tuning of the FSS to pinpoint it and zoom in to discover it.

Sorry, I’m finding it hard to explain without writing a novel.
Thats ok write away, a couple of things, !st what is this "honk" the name makes it sound like a car hooter, 2nd how long do I have to hold button A for? 3rd what do I use to fine tune...sorry if this comes simple to you but to me (aged 65) it's rocket science...I really appreciate your initial help but I will be deeply grateful if you can sort me out.

Thats ok write away, a couple of things, !st what is this "honk" the name makes it sound like a car hooter, 2nd how long do I have to hold button A for? 3rd what do I use to fine tune...sorry if this comes simple to you but to me (aged 65) it's rocket science...I really appreciate your initial help but I will be deeply grateful if you can sort me out.

Ok, the basics...

For simple exploration you need your onboard discovery scanner bound to a trigger. This isn’t done for you so you need to set it up in the fire groups located in your right panel. Personally, I have mine set to my right trigger.

To fire your discovery scanner press and hold the trigger for around 5secs or until you hear the loud ‘honk’.
Note that your ship will need to be in analysis mode in order to do this, to switch between combat and analysis mode it’s Y+D-Pad Up on Xbox (I think).

When i arrive in a new system I immediately give my discovery scanner a honk and then open my system map to see what I’ve found. If there’s valuable looking planets then it’s time to open the FSS to do a more detailed (and profitable) scan.

When you open your FSS you’ll be able to tune it (using the right thumb stick), most planets (ice,rock,metal) are found towards the centre of the scanner bar, while water worlds and gas giants are off towards the right.
You’ll know if you’ve tuned the scanner correctly when the small grey circles become solid white, at that point you use your right trigger to zoom in on the body to complete an instant detailed scan.
The large % number in the bottom left of the screen is how much of the system you have currently discovered.

Edit: to see all of the above in action then maybe check out this video so you get a feel for it...

Source: https://youtu.be/uMUmmIjzxMw

Last edited:
Top Bottom