What other games are we all playing?

Played though The Signal From Tolva a couple of weeks ago. Fairly short, semi-open world, first-persion shooter/explorer/adventure game by Big Robot, a tiny developer. Quite enjoyed it, for what it was. Most of the background is left to a pdf booklet that comes with the game, but was well done. Game itself was fairly short, with maybe 20-30 hours of play, depending on how much of a completionist one is. Gameplay was solid, with a reasonably clever death/respawn mechanism that fits well with the setting, and gunplay was pretty decent. Graphics are sorta cell-shaded, but they fit the art style. Story did inspire my curiosity, but is only partially resolved; feels like it's a teaser, or setting up for a sequel. Overall, well worth the five bucks I spent on GoG, and I'd probably recommend it even at the full price.

Pretty much echoed my own experience with it.

Currently obsessed with Dark Souls III (again).

Absolutely hilarious for its time, but can't hold the crown as it was an MP-only game, boooooo.

Good thing I had a little brother though, to test those electrified door handles.

Best PvP game ever as well, since if your oppoent killed you you could retaliate in a more direct way.

Many bruised arms were had :D

I'm starting to get really excited about Rogue Galaxy Outlaw again. I've been watching gameplay video, and yeah it's a "toy" space sim by today's standards, but it is so nostalgic of Privateer that I just have to get it. Being on PS4, I don't have to worry about store exclusivity that seems to have many up-in-arms.

My time at Portia. If you like open worlds, trading, craft stuff, missions, combat, you'll probably like this one.

There's no time limit, apart from 'commissions' ( jobs for other people ), on the main story line mostly, so you can take your time. There is no rush.

Waiting for the last two tombs to be added to Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Six new tombs to go after in the full game.
The grafix are spectacular. Second only to Metro Exodus.
Gonna have to build a new pc in a year or two and go win 10 finally and utilize the new vid cards.

Hey, let us know what it's like.
I liked the recent Annos more than the old- convoluted ones. So I'd like to know whether it is similar in mechanics to the new ones or it's some sort of a "return to the roots" kind of deal.
Polish level looks high. 13 h played. Tier 3 citizens reached. So far 1 crash, coasting at minspec, requirements stated at min detail it'll run at 30 frames but FPS counter says 60. Runs smooth on my minspec mindetail setup only hiking when autosaving.

It is a lot like Anno 1404, which I count towards the "new Annos". Production is sometimes tiered in 3 steps, but you get a good overlook about building times in the building browser for each step of the production chain. Ex.: Bread chain has Wheat field at 1 min each, then mill at 0.5 min then bakery at 1 min each. Building browser displays whole chain. So you plop down 2 wheat farms, 1 mill, 2 bakeries.

I skipped the last Anno when I learned it had combat separately instanced. The one before that I played but was quite disappointed when I found out AI would insta-respawn its bases - even mid combat. So I regard 1404 as pinnacle so far. Any Anno pre 1404 I'm not fan of.
Anno 1800 puts combat back on map, but no land units, only naval combat, supported by coastal batteries. Quests are back in. Nothing too complicated. Item system seems expanded with more buildings to slot items in. Item gathered by quests or exploration trips, which are kinda mini-adventures you send a ship on and have simple choices to make.

The alternative culture (Arabs in 1404) is removed from start map and takes place in a separate map, the New World, while the Old World is still simulated. I hear coop MP will be patched so ppl can control the same "company" and play on both maps at the same time.

Overall is serene and relaxed game with love to detail. Theme is industrialisation with steam engines, steam boats, clippers, colonialism. If you take the easy AI I guess it might be boring for some and too rosy-tinted. There is campaign which serves as tutorial but I dint play fully through, Anno bread and butter gameplay is sandbox and custom difficulties.
Is season-passed but I dont buy those in general. There is arctic stuff planned, which I find interesting since it fit the period with Amundsen-like stuff expeditions

Polish level looks high. 13 h played. Tier 3 citizens reached. So far 1 crash, coasting at minspec, requirements stated at min detail it'll run at 30 frames but FPS counter says 60. Runs smooth on my minspec mindetail setup only hiking when autosaving.

It is a lot like Anno 1404, which I count towards the "new Annos". Production is sometimes tiered in 3 steps, but you get a good overlook about building times in the building browser for each step of the production chain. Ex.: Bread chain has Wheat field at 1 min each, then mill at 0.5 min then bakery at 1 min each. Building browser displays whole chain. So you plop down 2 wheat farms, 1 mill, 2 bakeries.

I skipped the last Anno when I learned it had combat separately instanced. The one before that I played but was quite disappointed when I found out AI would insta-respawn its bases - even mid combat. So I regard 1404 as pinnacle so far. Any Anno pre 1404 I'm not fan of.
Anno 1800 puts combat back on map, but no land units, only naval combat, supported by coastal batteries. Quests are back in. Nothing too complicated. Item system seems expanded with more buildings to slot items in. Item gathered by quests or exploration trips, which are kinda mini-adventures you send a ship on and have simple choices to make.

The alternative culture (Arabs in 1404) is removed from start map and takes place in a separate map, the New World, while the Old World is still simulated. I hear coop MP will be patched so ppl can control the same "company" and play on both maps at the same time.

Overall is serene and relaxed game with love to detail. Theme is industrialisation with steam engines, steam boats, clippers, colonialism. If you take the easy AI I guess it might be boring for some and too rosy-tinted. There is campaign which serves as tutorial but I dint play fully through, Anno bread and butter gameplay is sandbox and custom difficulties.
Is season-passed but I dont buy those in general. There is arctic stuff planned, which I find interesting since it fit the period with Amundsen-like stuff expeditions
Thanks!
That does seem like I'm going to try it. Personally I'm a sandbox guy myself to a point where I actually enjoyed the 2205 because it has no competition on maps - it's just you, building the "empire" on all maps at the same time (and linking them with trade routes, because every biom produces slightly different things but you need everything everywhere.) The fact that the combat (the only part where you play against somebody) was separate was actually good in my eyes, because just like you the thing I enjoy the most in Anno is the growing balancing act and the fact that the whole game is kind of relaxing. :)
I was just afraid they will overdo it with micromanagement like in the old games.

So yeah. It sounds fun. Plus I agree that the time period is really nice.

Thanks!
That does seem like I'm going to try it. Personally I'm a sandbox guy myself to a point where I actually enjoyed the 2205 because it has no competition on maps - it's just you, building the "empire" on all maps at the same time (and linking them with trade routes, because every biom produces slightly different things but you need everything everywhere.) The fact that the combat (the only part where you play against somebody) was separate was actually good in my eyes, because just like you the thing I enjoy the most in Anno is the growing balancing act and the fact that the whole game is kind of relaxing. :)
I was just afraid they will overdo it with micromanagement like in the old games.

So yeah. It sounds fun. Plus I agree that the time period is really nice.
You can load up on the easy AI. They are quite docile and still offer quests for in between. They even ask permission to settle new island. :D Hardest threats would be the pirates then. Or you mix in a medium AI, which will work to contain the pirates, but sprawl quite.

Biggest innovations I should mention is:

-Replacing buildings, just grab and drag them to new location. It's amazing. Such a great idea for the OCD syndromed. Can be tweaked in difficulty about cost and such.

-workforce is a ressource, maybe biggest innovation along with economy - each house delivers workforce. Need a steelworks? make sure to have 100 workers in you settlement.

-citizens dont give flat tax income, like in "Tropico" you milk them by selling their needs to them, that's right - food and clothing not only cost upkeep, it'll earn you money. make them happy to have them spend even more, there is royal tax to prevent steamrolling with tier 1 spamming

-there is nother "currency" influence which seems to target steamrolling but it dint impede me much, workforce can be major roadblock to deal with

Top Bottom