Ships Lakon Type-9 Heavy Void opal miner?

I stupidly thought the only ship with 2 class 8 slots was the cutter. I've been waiting to grind it to start a mining career. Then I was going to upgrade into a combat build... This ship is amazing!

My question is what do you want for opal mining. Can you get away with a smaller collector limpet like in this build. From my previous mining before 3.3 I wanted a big limpet to keep up with the pace of mining. I'm assuming there is a lot less to collect now.

Also, can you recharge ammo and if so is it better to have lots of those 72 ammo ones or is there a better setup for the mining weapons? Should I two abrasion blasters and 2 seismic and 1 large missile launcher?

I adjusted to get better shields. Then if I engineer I can increase it to nicer stuff. Atm, i'll hopefully be within 20ly of the target.

I'm mostly curious about position of weapons and how many of each. This will be my first run in the new mining stuff. I just bought and am in that setup if I didn't mess anything up.

for core mining, you only need 1x class 2 (medium) seismic charge launcher and 1x class 1 (small) abrasion blaster, 1x pulse wave analyser (utility) and 1x detailed surface scanner (to scan the ring and highlight hotspots)

the seismic charge launcher requires ammo so you could equip 2 or more or synthesise.

I would still recommend the python or the clipper for core mining, you want something a little more agile as you zip around the field looking for cores and to navigate around an asteroid to place charges. (Would be quite painful and slow in a T9)

Regarding positioning of weapons, I guess as near to the center as you can but it's not a big deal.

If you D rate the life support you can squeeze 30LY - https://coriolis.io/outfit/type_9_heavy?code=A0pktpFklndpsif63M3N3M3R3R0001032x070706B11O1v32P9C02i.Iw18RQ==.Aw18QzMAspA=..IwegLCoAwgbB8YFMCGBzANkkkp5DIUA=&bn=Void Opal Miner

If you over charge your power plant, even at just grade 1, (1 sulpher) you'll have enough power - https://coriolis.io/outfit/type_9_heavy?code=A0pktpFklndpsif63M3N3M3R3R0001032x070706B11O1v32P9C02i.Iw18RQ==.Aw18QzMAspA=.H4sIAAAAAAAAA2P8Z8/AwPCXEUj8qQcSHF+ATH6ef///i21gYWD4/58BAJRGrnYiAAAA.IwegLCoAwgbB8YFMCGBzANkkkp5DIUA=&bn=Void Opal Miner

Also, with the addition of another class 1 slot, you can move the prospector controller there and replace with another collector controller.

Last edited:
Do Sensors effect how you see the results of the pulse wave analyser? Does anything help see how bright they are from farther away?

Placing seismic charges is doable in a T10 but it can be hard work so I'd agree with the earlier post that a medium sized ship is better suited to VO mining, so the Krait mk2, Python etc would be a better choice.

Something like this

https://coriolis.io/outfit/python?c...gA4QFMCGBzANikI4SEhQlA==&bn=Python miner wulf

Or this

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/kra...kKEoA=&bn=Krait Mk II EXO Bubble mining build

As to finding core asteroids just keep pressing the pulse wave scanner button and a core asteroid will display a black grid like this

rYe9H4B.png

Personally I have both a Python and a Type-10 for mining ... here's the build and weapon groups for the Type-10 (important to note that on the Type-10 especially, putting the mining weapons on the "correct" hardpoints is essential). I don't worry too much about pirates unless I get jumped by an Anaconda + Python/FDL wing - one-on-one this Type-10 build more often than not takes out even an Anaconda. In Supercruise, this engineered Type-10 has evaded interdiction from FDL's and Kraits (though Kraits usually run if you drop voluntarily - lol).
(cargo picture is mid run after about 2 hours in a single hotspot - final haul when full is capable of 500 million+ credits)

Attachments

• Type-10 Heavy Multi-purpose Miner Outfitting loRes.jpg
    Type-10 Heavy Multi-purpose Miner Outfitting loRes.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 857
  • Type-10 Heavy Multi-purpose Miner Weapon Groups loRes.jpg
    Type-10 Heavy Multi-purpose Miner Weapon Groups loRes.jpg
    527 KB · Views: 540
  • Type-10 mid-run cargo.jpg
    Type-10 mid-run cargo.jpg
    512.8 KB · Views: 576
I recently build a T10 Miner in Colonia. It's perfectly fine to place seismic charges in it.

For me 256 tons of cargo is enough, I can't stand more mining.

Is there a way to find a seller that gives the 1.7 million per ton I keep seeing on Inara and EDDB? Every time I visit one of these stations it's only selling for around 750 million. Or is that 1.7 million a rating and not a credit amount? I used to see a few high temp diamond locations that gave out just over 1 million. So, I know there must be better void opal prices.

Do you need to go to remote places outside the bubble to find sellers or something? I was hoping to be able to get a 1 billion credit haul.

I've actually been mining in the T9 and it's not hard so far. It takes a while to find a node, but I'm still getting used to that. And I haven't gotten around to engineering the engines yet. That is my next goal. I took off supercruise assist for a repair limpet. But I'm wishing I had room for auto docking. The T9 is harder to get in and out than the anaconda. Definitely not used to it yet. And learning to fly with a huge cargo is not ideal.

And if you use shield boosters do res types help at all vs asteroids or do you just want bulk mj?

I'm going to aim for this design I think: Engineered Fisure Type-9 Unless I found there is something useful about the sensors that helps find asteroids with the pulse wave scanner. Or I need to focus on a damage type.

Last edited:
Is there a way to find a seller that gives the 1.7 million per ton I keep seeing on Inara and EDDB? Every time I visit one of these stations it's only selling for around 750 million. Or is that 1.7 million a rating and not a credit amount? I used to see a few high temp diamond locations that gave out just over 1 million. So, I know there must be better void opal prices.

Do you need to go to remote places outside the bubble to find sellers or something? I was hoping to be able to get a 1 billion credit haul.

I've actually been mining in the T9 and it's not hard so far. It takes a while to find a node, but I'm still getting used to that. And I haven't gotten around to engineering the engines yet. That is my next goal. I took off supercruise assist for a repair limpet. But I'm wishing I had room for auto docking. The T9 is harder to get in and out than the anaconda. Definitely not used to it yet. And learning to fly with a huge cargo is not ideal.

And if you use shield boosters do res types help at all vs asteroids or do you just want bulk mj?

I'm going to aim for this design I think: Engineered Fisure Type-9 Unless I found there is something useful about the sensors that helps find asteroids with the pulse wave scanner. Or I need to focus on a damage type.
Nice, I'm just starting a T9 miner build.
Probably not the best ship for core mining (I've been using a Python), but i really enjoy flying the T9.

If you really want to fly a juggernaut through an asteroid belt I would choose the T-10 over the T-9 as it is more maneuverable - it can also defend itself considerable better :)

The T10 is a top tier laser [Painite] miner, but I use a Krait Mk II for VO mining: good visibility and agility, and the cargo capacity is the same as my length of patience :)

MP

No need to go outside the Bubble, neither when mining, nor selling. The EDDB lists an "age" of the information shown. Go for a station where the information has been recently updated. Also don't find the station before you go mining, but after you've finished destroying rocks. That way you'll have more up-to-date info. I once tried the other way around, but when I got to the station the price had dropped in the meantime.

Krait Phantom is good for this as well, 96 cargo space, kitted out with the usual gear for mining VO's. You can make somewhere around 125-145 mil in one sitting. After a few hours mining, my eyes start to bleed, reason i don't use a bigger ship.

I'm about to get duke and get my cutter. I'm going to load it up to 512 cargo and use it so I can try to fill it for a 1.5billion credit cutter layout. Need about 3 billions total for after just in case. 8)

I wanted to do it in my Type-9 and see if I could fill 640 because I wanted to do a large single 1 billion credit run. But that probably won't happen. Just wanted to do it to do it. 8p

I think it takes 600 cargo to get 1 billion. Plus it gives room for other minerals in a long run. I filled it to about 250 or more last run. Getting better at finding fissures slowly. I need to get back to mining once I get my cutter.

Type-9 is not the best choice for core mining (Python is much easier to maneuver and you can still fight) but do what you want you will anyway.

I do use a Cutter for surface mining Painite; that works really well. Both 8's used for cargo, 2x5 collector, 1x3 prospector. While collectors busy bringing in the haul, am sending out the prospectors for the next rock. And you look really good doing it in the Cutter.

I've upgraded to a cutter miner with 640 cargo. It will be this when I finish fitting it out.

With my experience in a type 9 hitting fissure point's it's pretty easy. I've also found you can log off in a hotspot and come back and it's like exploration where nothing bothers you and you can safe exit in the ring field. That would allow you to easily fill up the 640 over several sessions and then sell it for massive hauls. I'm going for full 650 if possible of all void opals to build up several trillion if possible. Just need to get out to colonia and get and pin some blueprints. I could have done it earlier but forgot I could pin them thinking there was no point.. 8\

Been thinking about the trip to Colonia just for the blueprints. Get the engineers leveled up and hit the road. Neutron highway in and out. Thinking of shipping in whatever modules you can't get there. I'll think about it some more.

As to the surface mining, I made over 1b in 3 gaming sessions just running the 512 on the cutter. Comes out to about 390m of painite in under 3 hours start to sell button. Usually have to jump 120 to 150ly to get the best price but that's not really too bad as laden still has jump of about 32.5ly . As much as I like core mining it can't generate cr like surface painite. Still, I prefer hunting up cores. Haven't noticed if Fdev has fixed the fragments spawning inside the rocks. Get tired of limpet suicide trying to get to them.

Last edited:
Personally I have both a Python and a Type-10 for mining ... here's the build and weapon groups for the Type-10 (important to note that on the Type-10 especially, putting the mining weapons on the "correct" hardpoints is essential). I don't worry too much about pirates unless I get jumped by an Anaconda + Python/FDL wing - one-on-one this Type-10 build more often than not takes out even an Anaconda. In Supercruise, this engineered Type-10 has evaded interdiction from FDL's and Kraits (though Kraits usually run if you drop voluntarily - lol).
(cargo picture is mid run after about 2 hours in a single hotspot - final haul when full is capable of 500 million+ credits)

Would you mind sharing your T10 mining build? I've been contemplating building one, for the additional storage. I typically stay in the belt until my Python is full (192).
TIA

Top Bottom