General / Off-Topic Recycle or Die! (the elite environmental thread)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
'Outrage is justified': David Attenborough backs school climate strikers:

The outrage of the students striking from school over climate change inaction is “certainly justified”, according to Sir David Attenborough, who said older generations had done terrible damage to the planet.

In an interview with the former UN climate chief Christiana Figueres, the broadcaster and naturalist dismissed critics of the widely praised global movement of school strikes as cynics.

“[Young people] understand the simple discoveries of science about our dependence upon the natural world,” he said. “My generation is no great example for understanding – we have done terrible things.”

The protests by young people were enormously encouraging, Attenborough said. “That is the one big reason I have for feeling we are making progress. If we were not making progress with young people, we are done.”

I'm just very glad this is right in the centre of the global publics attention. We can 'fix' many of the issues, so putting the preasure in the right places is essential.

I wish there were more people like David Attenborough. Check "BBC.Climate.Change.The.Facts".

And yes there are plenty of planets. The nearest one is Mars, and I'm sincerely beginning to doubt that we will ever get a human there. Whenever I hear people like the late Stephen Hawking mention that we need to get away from the planet to survive as a species, I think about how much energy you have to use to reach escape velocity. It's an utopian idea.

Edit: Attenborough is also one of the few people I've seen, not being afraid of talking about overpopulation.

https://futurism.com/david-attenbor...-our-population-growth-the-natural-world-will

Last edited:
And yes there are plenty of planets. The nearest one is Mars, and I'm sincerely beginning to doubt that we will ever get a human there. Whenever I hear people like the late Stephen Hawking mention that we need to get away from the planet to survive as a species, I think about how much energy you have to use to reach escape velocity. It's an utopian idea.

Well we probably need to focus on one utopian dream at a time, we need to 'save' this planet first ;)

I'd wager the majority of us will live to see a permanent manned base on the moon, once we are there Mars (and other inter solar system targets) becomes more 'doable'. One thing is for certain, technology does not stop going forward, so tomorrows dreams often become the todays realities of our future.

Well we probably need to focus on one utopian dream at a time, we need to 'save' this planet first ;)

I'd wager the majority of us will live to see a permanent manned base on the moon, once we are there Mars (and other inter solar system targets) becomes more 'doable'. One thing is for certain, technology does not stop going forward, so tomorrows dreams often become the todays realities of our future.
It's 50 years since we last had a human on the Moon. Back then it was an enormous task (an economist would use the word expensive), and the reason why we haven't been there since is that it's still an enormous task, and secondly that the Moon is not very well suited for anything. I know about space elevators and moon based Mars expeditions, but it's not gonna happen.

I love Elite, but honestly, it bends the laws of nature in an unrealistic way. Sorry. There. It's out in the open ;) Try and calculate the G-forces a human would be exposed to, of you wanted to go to one of Saturn or Jupiters moons. Remember that you have to accelerate to get to a proper speed, and decelerate once you get there. Even if an astronaut would be able to survive constant 2 G, which they wouldn't, it would still take a long time.

To put the scale of our Solar system into perspective. If you had a straight highway from the Earth to the Sun, and a car that could go 300 km/h (188 Mph) and you drove 24/7 without stopping for gasoline or sleep etc, it would take a human lifetime to get there. It's that far away.

Are you sure of the reality of this event ?

:p
I saw it on the TV back then ;)

Jokes aside, I also know how hard it is to fake something like that today, where you can use CGI. In 1969, forget it. Mythbusters had a good episode about the Moon landing conspiracies where they picked everyone of them apart. And I trust those people!

Edit: Said in another way. It would have been easier to make the trip, than to fake it.

Last edited:
Are you sure of the reality of this event ?

:p
Well the July 1969 Apollo 11 mission, is now becoming accepted; as the last test run. Over that last decade, or so, Collins has mentioned a few times, that the most frightening thing, was the loneliness, of the whole trip. Romour is; that the 'truth' will come out; once those that took apart, have passed on. Which is fair enough. However: From Apollo 12, all is at it seams.

Jokes aside, I also know how hard it is to fake something like that today, where you can use CGI. In 1969, forget it. Mythbusters had a good episode about the Moon landing conspiracies where they picked everyone of them apart. And I trust those people!

Edit: Said in another way. It would have been easier to make the trip, than to fake it.
So did the crews of Challenger and Columbia; both failed due to complacency and arrogance.

Sorry guys; but if NASA told me that the moon was round; I would have to double check it for myself.

Well the July 1969 Apollo 11 mission, is now becoming accepted; as the last test run. Over that last decade, or so, Collins has mentioned a few times, that the most frightening thing, was the loneliness, of the whole trip. Romour is; that the 'truth' will come out; once those that took apart, have passed on. Which is fair enough. However: From Apollo 12, all is at it seams.

For my part I have no doubt that men have gone to the moon.

Apollo was an extraordinary epic with incredible technology for the time.

:)

So did the crews of Challenger and Columbia; both failed due to complacency and arrogance.

Sorry guys; but if NASA told me that the moon was round; I would have to double check it for myself.
The TV images from Apollo 11 were pretty low quality, and I do recognize the urge to be first due to the cold war. However, if you look at the illustrations made of the Moon, before we went there, they looked very different than the real deal. Armstrong et al also took pictures and those are consistent with later Apollo missions. Those alone would been hard to fake, so unless all missions were faked, that would have shown up.

Regarding the Space Shuttles: Do people also think those were faked? The most difficult part of getting to the Moon is escaping the "mass lock" of the Earth. Once you're out of that, the rest of the trip is "easier". Likewise when you return. Ask Felix Baumgartner. 9.81 m/s^2 adds up in a couple of minutes.

To me, the Apollo missions was the most important achievement of humans so far. The value of the missions were not the Moon rocks they brought back, but for one single moment we were one humanity, no matter where on Earth you lived. It was humans going to the Moon, more than it was the Americans. I was 5 years old, but I still remember how proud the grown ups were. I have not experienced anything similar since then.

I trust NASA even more than Mythbusters ;)

Last edited:
We'll get to the moon again (with people). It's there, we're here etc.

---------------
Meanwhile extreme weather will increase to cause us all problems:

'US farmers count cost of catastrophic 'bomb cyclone' in midwest':

Five weeks after historic flooding in the midwest, waters still cover pasturelands, corn and soybean fields. Much of the water has receded, but rivers still run high and washed out roads force people to take long detours. Residents in Missouri are putting their ruined possessions on the street and corn stalks heaped by floodwaters look like snowdrifts in the fields.

In March, more than 450,000 hectares (1.1m acres) of cropland and 34,000 hectares of pastureland flooded, according to an analysis of government and satellite data, prompting governors from Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin and Minnesota to declare states of emergency.

In all, the damage could cost the country more than $3bn (£2.3bn). Farmers and ranchers are still tallying the number of bushels and heads of cattle lost. And though the damage is unlikely to immediately affect the national or international price of grain and meat, the farmers who experienced the loss will feel the pinch.

“We’re talking about an event here of historic proportions, circumstances that nobody ever recalls ever happening in their lifetime,” said Steve Wellman, the Nebraska Department of Agriculture director and third-generation farmer.

The “bomb cyclone” – an intense winter storm – that swept through the US in March followed record-breaking cold in January and unprecedented snow in February. Huge blocks of loose ice jammed waterways, and the Missouri river swelled, topping levees in four states, and breaking dams.

Climate change, experts say, is altering the landscape for the American farmer. Climate models predict more extreme weather patterns in the midwest over the coming decades that may further damage small-scale commodity and meat producers, making it more difficult for them to make a profit as hurdles mount.

The threat of more flooding still looms over the region. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration predicts that snowmelt could inundate rivers as the spring wears on.

As these events happen more frequently, “it will be tougher for producers to stay in business long-term”, said Scott Brown, an associate extension professor at the College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources and the University of Missouri-Columbia. Federal farm assistance programmes, he said, probably won’t save the hardest hit.

Difficult times are coming. So our actions matter in reducing these extreme events.

I love Elite, but honestly, it bends the laws of nature in an unrealistic way. Sorry. There. It's out in the open ;) Try and calculate the G-forces a human would be exposed to, of you wanted to go to one of Saturn or Jupiters moons. Remember that you have to accelerate to get to a proper speed, and decelerate once you get there. Even if an astronaut would be able to survive constant 2 G, which they wouldn't, it would still take a long time.
Cassini-Huygens mission to Saturn; Journey time 6 years, 261 days.

In Denmark, the total harvest in 2018 was more than 20% lower than average (2006-2017). Compared to 2017 it was almost 30% lower. The reason? The weather.

You can't use a single years harvest to directly correlate with the climate change. However, we know that the weather, as shown by the numbers above, has a huge influence on the crop yield, and we also know that increasing temperatures will cause more extreme weather, such as drought and torrential rain. In Denmark we have experienced a temperature rise since 1901 of 1.17 deg C, compared to the rest of the world where the temperature has risen 0.77 deg C in the same period.

This gives a clear indication of things to come, unless we wake up.

Cassini-Huygens mission to Saturn; Journey time 6 years, 261 days.
Meaning that if the Cassini probe had a passenger cabin, an Earth-Saturn-Earth round trip would last ~14 years on a good day when things align. Also, if someone wanted to call home, the signal would be delayed more than an hour. Most conversations start with some sort of social small talk like "Wassup?", but you would probably want to skip that calling home from Titan :)

We wont go anywhere. Instead we need to begin taking care of what we have.

Last edited:
In Denmark, the total harvest in 2018 was more than 20% lower than average (2006-2017). Compared to 2017 it was almost 30% lower. The reason? The weather.

You can't use a single years harvest to directly correlate with the climate change. However, we know that the weather, as shown by the numbers above, has a huge influence on the crop yield, and we also know that increasing temperatures will cause more extreme weather, such as drought and torrential rain. In Denmark we have experienced a temperature rise since 1901 of 1.17 deg C, compared to the rest of the world where the temperature has risen 0.77 deg C in the same period.

Excellent work; you state that you can't use a single years' harvest to directly correlate with climate change and then immediately proceed to do exactly that.

And manage to ignore the fact that Danish harvests have been steady (even growing) in that period in which temperatures have been rising - completely undermining your point. This is further compounded by the fact that this has happened before (1992).

http://www.statbank.dk is your friend. Hyperbole is your enemy.

Excellent work; you state that you can't use a single years' harvest to directly correlate with climate change and then immediately proceed to do exactly that.

And manage to ignore the fact that Danish harvests have been steady (even growing) in that period in which temperatures have been rising - completely undermining your point. This is further compounded by the fact that this has happened before (1992).

http://www.statbank.dk is your friend. Hyperbole is your enemy.
When the temperature increases the amount of energy stored in the atmosphere increases. That means more extreme weather.

From 2006-2018 the global temperature rose 0.29 deg C. Not a lot compared to the future predictions. In that time the harvest was relatively stable, but last summer was extreme. Normally you would say that you would have to expect a bad year once in a while, but in the future those will become more and more common.

A rising temperature is not necessarily bad for the Danish agriculture, yet. The rising temperatures have different effects around the globe, but the more frequent extreme weather will reduce the harvest, and that's globally including Denmark. The plants can't cope with extremes.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom