Planet Zoo Concerns (Master List)

Hello everyone,
I want to make this thread in order to put all our concerns in one place. However, I want this to be a big disclaimer that, I no way shape or form am not excited about the game; instead I am super excited! This post is rather to give the developers a different perspective; encase they are stuck in their “hype” bubble. I assume that they'd appreciate concerns now vs. complaints later. Also, a friendly reminder to all posters to make your posts constructive and civil. I’d rather have this be a thread where we can post our own thoughts, rather than going down a rabbit hole of discussion over one topic.

1. No Micro transactions/Loot boxes/Live service
    1. In the advent of modern AAA games, we see large sums of profits going to companies based on their live service models. I hope and pray that Planet Zoo is of the exception. I’d much rather see Planet Zoo release large DLC packs, rather than a $5 zebra skin in a store. While I know profits is one goal for companies, I think the longevity of a game and the “timelessness” is more important.
  2. Finicky building placements/Terrain restrictions
    1. I’ll state that I think Jurassic World Evolution (JWE) had some severe downsides when it came to placing buildings; it was cumbersome and frustrating. I felt that the buildings always had too many restrictions due to the terrain, and on top of that I felt all the buildings had to be placed all close together for maximum guest happiness. I am fond of the original zoo tycoon 1 and 2, where buildings can be a bit more spread out, for example: a bathroom didn’t have to be literally next to every food stand. Bathrooms or food carts can be a bit more spread out (like how it is in real life). My concern is that I hope guests/ buildings have a bit more of a lax process when it comes to their happiness and placement. (I hope this topic makes sense.)
  3. Animal Happiness/population in enclosures/"Hatching"
    1. Back to JWE, I think that placing animals all together was very very cumbersome and felt more restrictive than the original Zoo Tycoon 1 and 2 games. My concern is that there will never be certain combinations of animals that will not work together. For example: since a bear might be more of a solitary creature my concern is that it will have a “population” meter like dinosaurs did in JWE, in which I cannot even place a different species in the same exhibit. Moving back to Zoo Tycoon 1 and 2, while I understand some species are solitary, I was allowed more freedom in placing animals based on “biomes” rather than “solidarity/population.” Again my concern, and want is for animal populations and restrictions to be slightly more relaxed than in JWE. And even if the meter’s were the same for the original Zoo Tycoon 1 & 2 vs. JWE, I’d rather learn on my own which species work together and see animals show their discomfort rather than me playing with an animals population and solitary bar. (I hope this topic makes sense as well)
    2. Animal hatching: I liked Zoo Tycoon 1 & 2 where animals can be bought and placed immediately. However, JWE had a long hatching process at times and then you had to manually tranquilize and airlift animals to your exhibits (if you didn't have the hatchery next to your enclosure.) This process was way too cumbersome. In the trailer I see that a zookeeper puts down a box and a small baby elephant comes out. While I would like to see a return of instant placements of animals, having a zookeeper place a box down is probably fine, but way better than the process JWE went through to get an animal in a space.
    3. With animals, my concern is that their biome needs are going to be too restrictive with an exact certain set of grassland/water. While Zoo Tycoon 2 had the same system, I felt it was a bit more laxed; 1-2 trees make an animal happy, vs. JWE where exactly 34 trees will make a certain dino happy. Or with the placement of water, only 1 puddle of water was necessary for Zoo Tycoon 2, vs. JWE where almost a quarter/half of your exhibits would make other certain dino's happy. To recap, my concern is that animal happiness tied to biomes will also be very restrictive in a JWE sense.
    4. My concern for animal knowledge (if Planet Zoo runs off a JWE system), is that I will have a hard time finding out what animals social behaviors are. In no where, in the JWE game can I understand an animals needs until I incubate the dinosaur first, there is no information in the ingest database. This is poor design regardless and I really hope to not see this kind of system within Planet Zoo.
    5. I hope that animals do not break out of enclosures based on their social needs or population needs. Without mentioning the other ... cough dino cough game, an animal doesn't need to break out of their enclosure if there is no partner near by. I'd like to see a Zoo Tycoon 2 system where animals were lonely and perhaps didn't add too much of a greater "entertainment" value for the guests if they were lonely. I'd hate for them to break out for simple and silly reasons.
  4. Natural Barriers
    1. I thought that back in the original Zoo Tycoon 2 (updated*) had a really cool feature in that enclosures can be partially fenced. And you can place natural barriers as fences. The game seem to automatically designate exhibits with with natural barriers and fences. My concern is that I hope all enclosures don’t have to be fully fenced in.
  5. Restrictions on hardware or zoo placements
    1. From what I am hearing, there may be some severe limitations when it comes to hardware, like it is for planetcoaster. There is nothing like building something amazing, all for your computer to studder. I hope that there isn’t some kind of limitations in that field. With that, I hope there is no restrictions on the number of objects I can place. If I am not mistaken, this was a problem in Zoo Tycoon 2013/2016. My concern is that I hope there is a balance to all this, but at the end of the day, I don’t want my creativity to be limited.
  6. DLC Content/Release Schedule
    1. My concern is that the DLC packs won't have a lot of content in them. I am also slightly concerned for the recent "leak" that DLC packs will be about every 3 months after release. To me, doesn't this seem like the DLC packs will have 2-5 animals and some more building themes. Instead of Zoo Tycoon 2 expansion packs that had dozens of animals and new content, progression and mechanics. Again to recap, I am concerned with DLC content and timing.

Last edited:
Those are really good points.

The problem with the animal population was, that it was a fixed value. This can be resolves by tying the value to the enclosure size so that it scales with the size of the enclosure, just like it did in all other zoo building games. This way even solitary animals can live in the same enclosure, if it is big enough.

I'm also hoping for natural barriers, but I have to be a little nitpicky here because you said this was a feature in Zoo Tycoon 1 and 2. I can't say anything for the sequel, but the original didn't had that feature. The enclosure had to be fully fenced for the game to recognise it as an enclosure. Otherwise you couldn't place animals inside.
Then again I really hope it will be different in Planet Zoo so that we can build immersive, natural looking enclosures.

The problem with the building placement in JWE was that all those shops were tied to the attractions and hotels, not to the guests. so whenever you build an attraction you just had to make sure that there were those shops nearby. I hope the placement of the shops is now tied to the guests which would make management deeper und would allow us to spreed them more out in a strategical manner. Also buldings should flatten the ground themselve so that we don't get those stupid terrain constraints.

I hope we really have to manage and care for the animals. Planet coaster was more focused on design, I never really feel connected to my guest or that they even matter.
I want to interact with the animals and feel I'm actually responsible for their well being. Same with the guest. It makes it that much more fulfilling when you simply don't drop it down and watch, but have to take some care.

WingardiumLevicoaster

Volunteer Moderator
It's clear by its name that it's probably going to be closer to Planet Coaster than JWE. Planet Coaster doesn't have loot boxes or single item DLC. They are generally released every 3 months and have had either around 10 rides, or 1 scenary theme with 3 rides. With the earlier DLC there were significant free updates too with features and rides. So PZ will most likely be the same. If you take into account the free updates combined with a couple of DLC.. that's an expansion pack in price and content.

I expect we will have a similar building system and guest behaviour when it comes to interactions. Though that being said, I assume that caring for animals will be a big part where it will differ from PC.

Last edited:
Little things I remember really appreciating from the original zoo tycoon was that the guests would get sick when your animal exhibits were too dirty. They had a favorite animal they really enjoyed seeing, and reading their thought bubbles they often had little remarks about each statue or flowerbed you placed. I know as a kid I LOVED that. It made me feel proud when I was making the zoo pretty and the guests seemed to take notice.

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
Hi Zoocray,

I know it's a list of "concerns", but it means a lot that you're already this excited for Planet Zoo and have these thoughts. I'd suggest you keep following the official news and pages, so you'll be among the first to hear what's coming to Planet Zoo, and hopefully we can alleviate your worries in the months to come!
The game will live in the Planet universe, and is therefore closer in look and feel to Planet Coaster than JWE, however we have learned so much from both games and all of that knowledge, as well as the next iteration of the Cobra engine, has helped shape Planet Zoo - it's going to be great :)!

<3
Bo

Hi Zoocray,

I know it's a list of "concerns", but it means a lot that you're already this excited for Planet Zoo and have these thoughts. I'd suggest you keep following the official news and pages, so you'll be among the first to hear what's coming to Planet Zoo, and hopefully we can alleviate your worries in the months to come!
The game will live in the Planet universe, and is therefore closer in look and feel to Planet Coaster than JWE, however we have learned so much from both games and all of that knowledge, as well as the next iteration of the Cobra engine, has helped shape Planet Zoo - it's going to be great :)!

<3
Bo

Thank you Bo, for your awesome post. I am crazy about this game and I check a few times a day on every one of your social media tabs just waiting to see more, hear more, buy more (take my money lol).
As the months roll out, I'll cross out/strike through the topics and concerns that don't make it into the game. Because I know that some of the concerns I listed are only concerns and are far from what is probably actually going to be in the game, so I can't wait to see! On top of that, I am happy to hear it will be on the next cobra engine, I am excited. With all this excitement I'll probably make a forum post about things I am excited for :D

Last edited:
Sounds great. I'm sure the community is really appreciating that you all are interacting with us. Understandable you can't reveal too much yet. I look forward to seeing more!

Hi Zoocray,

<3
Bo

This is really refreshing to see such positive communication with the community. I just want to say thanks Bo for your engagement and enthusiasm towards the project and I'm really excited to see the evolution of the Cobra engine's capabilities and also learn more about Planet Zoo in particular! The hype is real :D

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
This is really refreshing to see such positive communication with the community. I just want to say thanks Bo for your engagement and enthusiasm towards the project and I'm really excited to see the evolution of the Cobra engine's capabilities and also learn more about Planet Zoo in particular! The hype is real :D

Of course! The team and myself are always around and we'll do our best to be as open and available as possible going forward! <3

1. I hope that animals do not break out of enclosures based on their social needs or population needs. Without mentioning the other ... cough dino cough game, an animal doesn't need to break out of their enclosure if there is no partner near by. I'd like to see a Zoo Tycoon 2 system where animals were lonely and perhaps didn't add too much of a greater "entertainment" value for the guests if they were lonely. I'd hate for them to break out for simple and silly reasons.
I like to see silly reason break out or careless care taking so if you put a tree stump near a fence and a chimp climbs on it then it will use to climb out then the staff who has trained for this can be put in action to try and catch the run away in the zoo! It would be a fun movement and to see how your park manages chaos. :)

According to the team, Annapurna Interactive, Chucklefish, Digital Extremes, Digital Uppercut, E-WIN, Fatshark, Fellow Traveller, Frontier Developments, Funcom, Modus Games, Paradox Interactive, Perfect World Entertainment, Raw Fury, Rebellion, Re-Logic, and Tripwire Interactive are some of the developers that have joined the Epic Games Store.

Seeing how quite a few new games are being released as exclusives on the Epic store I hope FD aren't going to follow suit with Planet Zoo. Hopefully it's just older games are being added to the catalogue.
Not that I'll buy them unless they becomes available on GOG.

Seeing how quite a few new games are being released as exclusives on the Epic store I hope FD aren't going to follow suit with Planet Zoo. Hopefully it's just older games are being added to the catalogue.

I believe Planet Zoo is already available as a wish-list item on the Steam store, so I think were good. At least for this title lol.

It's Steam exclusive, also this game will use the Steam Workshop.
Something only exists on Steam.

That's a bit reassuring. I get the whole business thing; however, I absolutely despise and loose all respect and motivation to buy when a company advertises something on Steam and then pulls out at or near launch.

I also have a personal grudge when I have a series, but the latest is launched elsewhere.

Top Bottom