sidewinder fighters

There already is a permit to a system with pretty nice ship discounts that can only be gained through CQC.
Only 3% discount - better discounts are available elsewhere, Shinrarta (One of the Elite Ranks or Founder required) for example which is 10%.

On further investation, the CQC ship selection is different anyway (Only the F63 Condor and Imperial Fighter are even close to being common) - CQC F63 v. SLF F63 options do look pretty comparable.

Last edited:

Lestat

Banned
Only 3% discount - better discounts are available elsewhere, Shinrarta (One of the Elite Ranks or Founder required) for example which is 10%.
Well it so easy to get Elite Trader. Most of the time you would not care about 10%.

In the official description for the anaconda can have a fighter of equal size to a sidewinder. So that begs the question, why can't we have sidewinders as fighters? It would be amazing to have a fully customized sidewinder as a fighter. I believe that many CMDR's would rejoice at the news of this feature.

It would need to be stripped of its FSD and other unnecessary components and focused completely on combat. I imagine a sidewinder fighter would be a real menace. You'd need to have a large fighter bay and you'd get less reloads. I'd really want one.

Lestat

Banned
Perhaps, but that is besides the point really.
There no besides the point when you can point out facts which I did. Elite trader one day starting from a new account. Elite Explorer in 3 weeks. Who needs to worry about credit when it so easy to get credits. That why the discount today is worthless. If it was 2014 to 2018 before the credit buff that 3% to 15% discount would be worth it. Why because It took a long time to get the ships you desired.

There no besides the point when you can point out facts which I did.
It is actually besides the point in the context of this particular thread topic, it is not about how easy ranks may or may not be nor how significant or insignificant particular discounts may be.

If people are talking about wanting an increased range of variety in SLF options then that should never be an exclusive "tangible" reward tied to CQC. No ifs, buts, or maybes. The point being raised about the discounts was that it was claimed that there are already exclusive "tangible" rewards for CQC but that is demonstrably false.

I think it is highly unlikely that FD will allow the sidewinder/eagle CQC fighters as SLFs and it is also highly unlikely that FD will allow the main stream variants to be dockable at our main environment ships either.

FD making the current range of SLFs more configurable in any direct sense of the term is probably unlikely (I would say a definite no - or at least extreme unlikely - where engineering of them is concerned). On the other hand, making more types of SLFs or allowing for specific fixed ala carte loadouts is almost certainly a more realistic expectation.

As with the Guardian SLFs, new variants could very well be locked behind Tech Brokers.

Last edited:
I too would still like the ability to put a regular Sidewinder (or say, Eagle) inside larger ships using the SLF mechanics.
  • Embark a light ship from the Shipyard
  • Disable the FSD while it is embarked so that it has to remain in the same instance
  • It lacks the 'rebuild' of regular SLFs. If it is lost, it is flagged as destroyed in the Shipyard, and must be rebought there before being used again.
  • It can use the SRV cargo transfer UI while in the hangar

Why can't the Python have a SLF bay, other approximate slightly smaller and or slightly the same size ship can; Such as: Alliance Crusader, Federal Gunship, Krait MkII.

I suppose they could rename the Sidewinder to a Sidewinder Mk II and then bring back the old one from the earlier games as an SLF - the one without an FSD.

I recall reading somewhere that the Anaconda version available to civilians is limited to the ordinary SLFs.

I recall reading somewhere that the Anaconda version available to civilians is limited to the ordinary SLFs.
I am not sure this is accurate - I believe there are no Anaconda variants in ED that allow for anything other than SLFs - certainly none that spawn in ED.

I am not sure this is accurate - I believe there are no Anaconda variants in ED that allow for anything other than SLFs - certainly none that spawn in ED.
Quite. I believe (though I could be wrong) that the size increase to the Sidewinder necessary to make it an interstellar capable ship made it too big to fit in a SLF bay. It's not just the FSD of course, there's also extended life support, living areas etc in the ship... In the original Elite, it was a non-jump-capable fighter, same as the krait... In ED, they are both bigger or else they'd be useless in the main game.

Why can't the Python have a SLF bay, other approximate slightly smaller and or slightly the same size ship can; Such as: Alliance Crusader, Federal Gunship, Krait MkII.
Essentially, it would no longer be a Python then. Size does not dictate capability, the design of the model/ship design does. It would not be unreasonable for FD to add a Python variant with an SLF bay capability but it would almost certainly require some build option compromises. c/f Alliance Crusader v Alliance Chieftain v Alliance Challenger, or Federal Gunship v. Federal Assault Ship v. Federal Drop Ship, or Krait Mk II v. Krait Phantom, or T-6 v. Keelback.

I suppose they could rename the Sidewinder to a Sidewinder Mk II and then bring back the old one from the earlier games as an SLF - the one without an FSD.
If you look at the SLF designs we currently have available then they all fold-up/collapse to at least some degree when docking. To do something similar with the Sidewinder design would not be totally impossible perhaps but would probably require a fair amount of work.

If you look at the SLF designs we currently have available then they all fold-up/collapse to at least some degree when docking. To do something similar with the Sidewinder design would not be totally impossible perhaps but would probably require a fair amount of work.
Absolutely,but the general shape is not changed all that much from the original. It's just bigger. Work would have to be done, of course, and to be honest, probably more work than would be worth it for the benefit of having an ancient fighter in the game. (The original 1984 version of the sidewinder compared to the current fighters would be like comparing a Spitfire or a Mustang to an F35 or a Typhoon... it might have it's uses, but other than nostalgia, not worth much). The new version, while still a starter ship, is no single-seat fighter. The cockpit may only hold one pilot, but it also has space for an SRV or cargo, or even passenger cabins alongside the crew accommodation. Way too big to be a SLF even without the FSD module.

Top Bottom