Cheating in Elite Dangerous

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
That is the problem.
You suggest "to make it cool" assuming that FDev doesn't understand that "it should be made cool".
But FDev of course understands that it should be cool.
The problem is FDev has no ways to make it cool.
Due to p2p architecture.

I'm not sure I understand. Where do I suggest to make it "cool"? And what am I suggesting to make cool?

MDH

Dude, instance hopping compared to hacking the game data? Please, save that for another thread, this is a whole other level. Instance hopping currently saves FD from having to fix broken manufactured and data mat gathering.

You draw your line in the sand, I'll draw mine. Habitually instance flipping to gain favourable odds is no different to the 5-for-1 engineering exploit which was punished by removing the affected assets, or mission board flipping, which was closed. It is another loophole that needs to be fixed.

I agree that script kiddies are a pain and that hacking the game to gain an advantage is a problem that there should be internal tools to capture.

But one is a player trust issue that is beyond the complete control of the devs (ie they would need to close the loopholes and punish the accounts), others are entirely within FDev's control (instance switching, combat logging etc) and the game rules can be adjusted to eliminate them.

Both types are important. Loopholes, cheats & exploits do not stop being loopholes, cheats & exploits just because they are endemic.

You said that "methods of how to catch the rotten apples is up to FDev to apply"
The problem is there are no methods to catch the rotten apples even in theory for FDev. Due to chosen network architecture of game.

Fair enough, but besides my point. Their architecture is a completely other matter, and one that sadly wont be changed. I was talking punishments, not fixes.
But I do get your point of fact on how they are or not able to catch the hackers

MDH

I'd like to see your face when you suddenly get that permaban without having used any cheats ever. Just because somebody else made you look like cheater in his ED client, recorded this on video, and sent the video to FDev.

Check the above.

You think Fdev will go banning with out proof? When have they ever done that? I have been playing mmo since they came out. And hacking the client has always been a perma ban offence. Regardless of the game.

If the data is unencrypted, what's stopping me from reverse-engineering it and making a Python script on my Raspberry Pi that simulates an invincible Cutter than can jump 500 LY to run PowerPlay cargo 24x7?
Technically nothing, other than the requirements of time, skill and lack of ethics on your part - but the same would be true if it was encrypted, it would just require a little bit more reverse-engineering on your part.

Encryption is a defence against 3rd parties intercepting and reading or modifying a transmission. It's not an effective defence against a legitimate party to the communication (say, a copy of Elite Dangerous) going rogue or being compromised, because the legitimate parties by definition and by necessity are able to decrypt the encrypted data.

You draw your line in the sand, I'll draw mine. Habitually instance flipping to gain favourable odds is no different to the 5-for-1 engineering exploit which was punished by removing the affected assets, or mission board flipping, which was closed. It is another loophole that needs to be fixed.
Make cheating open-only!

Dark Souls also has a peer to peer structure and FromSoft softbanned Cheaters by forcing them to a cheater-only matchmaking system. The statistics of all our ships seem to be saved on Frontiers servers (otherwise Inara wouldn't work?), so they should at least be able to identify some impossible configurations and impossible actions in game.
I'd say ban cheaters to a cheater only matchmaking, that will create a wholly uncomfortable but difficult to notice experience and also lock them out of bgs and pp transactions

ryan_m

Banned
But how to punish, if there is no possibility to identify cheaters?
You get 1000 report per day. You know that ~500 of them are false (which means, these are reports filled against fair players by cheaters, using forged video proofs).
Would you ignore all 1000 reports? Or ban all 1000 players, knowing that 500 of them are actually NOT cheaters?
Perform 1000 investigations per day (hire 1000 workers for this)?

Are you unaware that literally every other online multiplayer game SOMEHOW has a functional anti-cheat but Elite doesn't? How do you think those get built and implemented?

There are teams for each game who has the sole job of doing stuff like this. Welcome to the game industry.

Technically nothing, other than the requirements of time, skill and lack of ethics on your part - but the same would be true if it was encrypted, it would just require a little bit more reverse-engineering on your part.

Encryption is a defence against 3rd parties intercepting and reading or modifying a transmission. It's not an effective defence against a legitimate party to the communication (say, a copy of Elite Dangerous) going rogue or being compromised, because the legitimate parties by definition and by necessity are able to decrypt the encrypted data.
But this is my point, as a copy of Elite Dangerous ON A CONSOLE cannot be compromised, thus the only way to cheat* on my platform is to modify the data stream, and decrypting a truly encrypted data stream is not trivial AT ALL.

* I'm not talking about exploits and mode-flipping, but actual "hacking / cheating" as identified by the OP.

FD used statistical analysis to find people exploiting engineering flaws, could they do the same for telemetry in game? A non force shell 600m/s Corvette is going to be instantly fishy.

I suppose the next question would be does FD automatically filter telemetry and flag anything out of spec?

Are you unaware that literally every other online multiplayer game SOMEHOW has a functional anti-cheat but Elite doesn't? How do you think those get built and implemented?

There are teams for each game who has the sole job of doing stuff like this. Welcome to the game industry.
FDEV has a "anti-cheater" team. What exactly they do besides follow-up on CLog reports, I have no idea.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom