Because killing known terrorists in Elite makes you wanted for murder...

Yep, the good old clean targets bug has returned. Thanks FDev.

Do fix the waste of my time interdictions into empty instances, too, thanks.

Grrrrrrr. What is with this game. I take breaks and it seems to want me to take even more.

So was your target clean and you shot him, or was your target wanted and you got a bounty anyway (curious which bug has returned)?

Targets that should be wanted are spawning clean. Not all targets thankfully, like I have seen before, but Assassination missions. You have to be careful unless you have a friendly spawn in a specific zone that they become wanted for attacking. Otherwise turn your crimes on and make them wanted for attacking you, I guess.

If you do not make them wanted first, you will become wanted for shooting the target. These should be spawning wanted and awarding a nice little bonus for killing them, outside of the missions award. But nope!

Targets that should be wanted are spawning clean. Not all targets thankfully, like I have seen before, but Assassination missions. You have to be careful unless you have a friendly spawn in a specific zone that they become wanted for attacking. Otherwise turn your crimes on and make them wanted for attacking you, I guess.

If you do not make them wanted first, you will become wanted for shooting the target. These should be spawning wanted and awarding a nice little bonus for killing them, outside of the missions award. But nope!
Used to be a thing. You have to wait for them to engage you. Then it's on.

I figure if it's an assassination, the legality is a distant secondary concern over making the target ded. It's basically just murder, but with more grandiose justifications.

Assassination is just murder that someone's paying someone else to do. As @Tarman said, nothing to do with legality.

If it was legal it'd be an execution. And even then it depends on whether or not you consider the government carrying it out and/or their agents to be legitimate or not.

Assassination missions don't necessarily mean the target is wanted. For sure it's "wanted" by the mission-giver, but not necessarily by anybody else. So when you accept the mission you accept the risk that you may need to break the law in the jurisdiction where the target currently is in order to complete it.
That would be a Wet Work job. Assassination targets are usually marked as "Mission target". Unless there is a new bug and they are not marked just happened to have the same name.

That would be a Wet Work job. Assassination targets are usually marked as "Mission target". Unless there is a new bug and they are not marked just happened to have the same name.
You still get a bounty for not-wanted mission targets, just no notoriety.

A few things to think about when it comes to Bounty-Hunting, Assassinations and wetwork.

• Is the target REALLY wanted
  • Is he wanted within X jurisdiction (Empire, Alliance etc)
  • Is it legal to kill the target in X system
  • Have you scanned and identified the target
  • Is the target very friendly with the faction within the system (ie, you killed their friend so now they attack you)

Assassination missions don't necessarily mean the target is wanted. For sure it's "wanted" by the mission-giver, but not necessarily by anybody else. So when you accept the mission you accept the risk that you may need to break the law in the jurisdiction where the target currently is in order to complete it.

There are different types as another poster pointed out. Assassinate Pirate specifically, should always result in a universally wanted target. Assassinate politician, etc, are obviously going to be illegal in the target jurisdiction, these are differentiated as wetwork missions or black ops

Used to be a thing. You have to wait for them to engage you. Then it's on.

Yes, it used to be a bug. Now it seems that it's back (I haven't seen it yet myself, but I'll have a look later)

A few things to think about when it comes to Bounty-Hunting, Assassinations and wetwork.

• Is the target REALLY wanted
  • Is he wanted within X jurisdiction (Empire, Alliance etc)
  • Is it legal to kill the target in X system
  • Have you scanned and identified the target
  • Is the target very friendly with the faction within the system (ie, you killed their friend so now they attack you)

Pirate assassinations should always be wanted, anything else is a bug.
Jurisdiction irrelevant, see above.
Jurisdiction irrelevant, see above.
Scan not required, see above.
Target friendliness with local system irrelevant, see above.

In actual fact the game was recently changed to allow you to engage a wanted criminal without scanning, and only get a bounty if they turn out NOT to be wanted.

There are different types as another poster pointed out. Assassinate Pirate specifically, should always result in a universally wanted target.
Even in an Anarchy system?

Also.. one man's pirate is another's privateer (buccaneer).

So these officially sanctioned "pirates" by a government would surely be protected by the government that employs them (and hence not wanted in that government's jurisdiction).

It's always about the PoV...

So these officially sanctioned "pirates" by a government would surely be protected by the government that employs them (and hence not wanted in that government's jurisdiction).

Except your target ID doesn't consider the local government. They should come across as mission targets. Their wanted status should correspond if they are going to be part of a mission - unless the mission states that killing them could be illegal in some jurisdictions.

Except your target ID doesn't consider the local government. They should come across as mission targets. Their wanted status should correspond if they are going to be part of a mission - unless the mission states that killing them could be illegal in some jurisdictions.

Yeah, that's just the thing. Wetwork and civil murder missions are always this way, however pirate lord and terrorist missions should have their targets spawn wanted.

I'm pretty sure FDev acknowledged this bug long ago. Anyways, it seems to have returned for some of the Assassination missions I took.

Yeah, that's just the thing. Wetwork and civil murder missions are always this way, however pirate lord and terrorist missions should have their targets spawn wanted.

I'm pretty sure FDev acknowledged this bug long ago. Anyways, it seems to have returned for some of the Assassination missions I took.
I see them as wanted but sometimes not mission targets. It's pretty odd. Yesterday I interdicted a known terrorist flying an FdL but once we dropped out he was in a cobra. I had to keep looking around to see what happened. Then he never said anything. Also I had one known terrorist - pirate drop in on me during another battle. The pirate was at 17% health when he arrived. 1st time I ever saw a ship arrive already damaged.

One cannot be wanted in an anarchy system. It's not about perspective (well, it might be to you, but I'm talking about game mecahnics), it's about red text saying 'wanted' or not. The fact that this status is irrelevant in an anarchy is neother here nor there, the point being certain types of missions spawn guranteed wanted targets (pirate assassination) and if they're not wanted when you find them, that's either becaus eyou're in an anarchy system (in which case red txt says lawless and it doesn't matter), or it's a bug. Sorry for typos can't be bothered to correct them.

I see them as wanted but sometimes not mission targets. It's pretty odd. Yesterday I interdicted a known terrorist flying an FdL but once we dropped out he was in a cobra. I had to keep looking around to see what happened. Then he never said anything. Also I had one known terrorist - pirate drop in on me during another battle. The pirate was at 17% health when he arrived. 1st time I ever saw a ship arrive already damaged.
The first thing you mention is still a fairly common bug. As for damaged ships entering the instance, I don't think that's possible, but I might be wrong. Is it possible that you joined an instance they were already in and the damaged pirate was out of sensor range for a while (bear in mind if his health was low he could have been using a heatsink for a shield cell before you noticed him)?

The first thing you mention is still a fairly common bug. As for damaged ships entering the instance, I don't think that's possible, but I might be wrong. Is it possible that you joined an instance they were already in and the damaged pirate was out of sensor range for a while (bear in mind if his health was low he could have been using a heatsink for a shield cell before you noticed him)?

With Fdev all kinds of strange is possible 😂

Top Bottom