Vertical thrust bugged?

So I got a replacement for my 16000m HOTAS today, and launched for the first time in a month or so. I checked my settings, and vertical thrust is still bound to the same axis in the correct way. Windows calibration shows the controllers works fine. In other games, it works fine. In ED, when I want to thrust downwards it functions as a toggle: I keep descending unless I explicitly thrust upwards. Kinda like a one-dimensional FA off.

Anyone else?

My 16000 sticks work fine.
If I remember correctly, it's been a while since I have set up the controls, there are some settings how the maneuvering input works (digital, analog and other things) - maybe you just missed a setting/option/toggle?

My 16000 sticks work fine.
If I remember correctly, it's been a while since I have set up the controls, there are some settings how the maneuvering input works (digital, analog and other things) - maybe you just missed a setting/option/toggle?

That is what I thought first. The weird thing is only half the axis is bugged. Upwards works fine, downwards not. That is only one entry into the control settings; if I made a mistake, both should be messed up. :/

I Went and checked with the HotasX, it worked fine.
Have you tried simply unplugging the joystick and plugging it back in? I know occasionally windows gets confused and the joystick acts weirdly unless I do that.

Are you using thrustmaster's TARGET software? All the detail is in there including total control over axis and such. I bet if you changed controllers you might have to just go into your profile and edit it, even if you don't change anything; then save again.

What do you have vertical thrust bound to?
Mine is bound on the throttle handle to that vertical slider in between the two orange buttons and the mini-joystick.

What do you have vertical thrust bound to?
Mine is bound on the throttle handle to that vertical slider in between the two orange buttons and the mini-joystick.

View attachment 131762

I have both to the mini stick, so a X axis and a Y axis. Both report correctly in windows, the x-axis works, the y-axis works partly. :p It is kinda baffling. Maybe force-reset the drivers or something, will try later tonight.

Ah, I have the mini stick set for looking around.
Why not try my vertical set up to see if it works on your stick and then set it back to yours?

I use the throttle’s mini stick for vertical and lateral thrust as well. Sometimes it does stick in a vertical direction, but for me it’s very slight, like 2 m/s downwards. I usually just ignore it or slightly flick the stick up.

I have both to the mini stick, so a X axis and a Y axis. Both report correctly in windows, the x-axis works, the y-axis works partly. :p It is kinda baffling. Maybe force-reset the drivers or something, will try later tonight.

Side note:
The mini-hat on the stick is "digital" - on/off. It doesn't offer a very fine control over the thrust. Binding the thrusters to analog inputs (main stick axis or the rotation of the stick) will give you much finer control. That's why I use two sticks in situations where precise control over the thrust is required (for example high G world landing).

Sorry that I can't help you with your problem. I use two sticks and have up/down on the rotation axis of one of the sticks and it just works. I have checked the settings in the game and haven't found anything that could cause the thrusters to keep firing without input.

Side note:
The mini-hat on the stick is "digital" - on/off. It doesn't offer a very fine control over the thrust. Binding the thrusters to analog inputs (main stick axis or the rotation of the stick) will give you much finer control. That's why I use two sticks in situations where precise control over the thrust is required (for example high G world landing).

Sorry that I can't help you with your problem. I use two sticks and have up/down on the rotation axis of one of the sticks and it just works. I have checked the settings in the game and haven't found anything that could cause the thrusters to keep firing without input.

Thanks, but I use the mini-stick on the throttle (which is analog) rather than the mini-hat on the stick. Which is part of what makes it so weird to me. It is an analog axis that works only for the positive part, and functions as a binary toggle on the negative part. And only in ED. It is just one setting, that works 50%. I couldnt even replicate this in another game if I wanted to. :p

Are you using thrustmaster's TARGET software? All the detail is in there including total control over axis and such. I bet if you changed controllers you might have to just go into your profile and edit it, even if you don't change anything; then save again.

I would recommend you don't use the TARGET software for Elite personally. It's not needed.

Can you check that you mapped it as an axis and not a button?

I would recommend you don't use the TARGET software for Elite personally. It's not needed.

Can you check that you mapped it as an axis and not a button?

I dont use TARGET, and it is mapped as an axis. Half of it works (upwards), it is just downwards that doesn't and you cant split an axis into two modes anyway.

Oh that sounds interesting. Guess I'll have to take a look at the 16000 with throttle.

If you already have two sticks I can really recommend dual sticks + throttle, with redundancy mapping of key controls.

Top Bottom