A more logical landing pad numbering system

So the current landing pad system isn't exactly the simplest to understand where your pad is quickly. I realise there is a pattern but just from looking at the number its not easy to determine, for example, that pad 39 is on the Green side as you go in on the lower side.

I suggest using a 2 digit location system, i.e. First number denotes row, second number which segment it is clockwise from the lower side (assuming red is on the left and green right).
For example the first pad below you as you enter would be 01

To make it clearer here's a quickly re-purposed diagram (couldn't find the author of orginal image, sorry)
Source: https://i.imgur.com/KYvuT5q.png

Of course I realise its unlikely that FDev will change any station pad numbers, it likely would have other effects. But I just feel the current system could be better or more clear.

This has been debated before, and is pretty much summed up by, yes the locations are not easily memorable, but it's too late to change them now as it would upset the many players who've made the effort to learn them.

Alternatively, I've suggested that your scanner/radar should indicate the location of your assigned landing pad the instant your docking request is approved, so you will know where it is in relation to your ship even before you enter the slot.

THAT is simpler, OP?!

Anyways, someone once informed me that the "compass" dot doesn't show the station center, it actually shows the landing pad you have been assigned when you submit a docking request. Very handy. I do think it needs to be more visible, maybe a bright section of the compass "circle" would show it better than the current dot.

Alternatively, EDDI's voice system will tell you audibly, "Landing pad 35 is at 12-o-clock far as you approach with the green lights on your right," etc.

THAT is simpler, OP?!

Anyways, someone once informed me that the "compass" dot doesn't show the station center,

That little icon in front of you shows station center, yes the compass shows direction to pad. The icon in front of you will have a down arrow if you are above station center, an up arrow if you are below station center and small rectangle if you are exactly station center.

Alternatively, I've suggested that your scanner/radar should indicate the location of your assigned landing pad the instant your docking request is approved, so you will know where it is in relation to your ship even before you enter the slot.

I'd certainly find this very useful. It kinda sucks it doesn't start showing it until you are actually inside the station. I tend to enter pretty fast and when I get a pad right by the entrance I have to back up.... (I've got to where I've learned most of the pad numbers in the entrance at this point though, at least for the Coriolis stations).

That little icon in front of you shows station center, yes the compass shows direction to pad. The icon in front of you will have a down arrow if you are above station center, an up arrow if you are below station center and small rectangle if you are exactly station center.

I don't know what "icon in front of you" you are referring to. I'll have to pay attention at the next station I dock at because it sounds like there is a interface element I didn't even notice.

I'd certainly find this very useful. It kinda sucks it doesn't start showing it until you are actually inside the station. I tend to enter pretty fast and when I get a pad right by the entrance I have to back up.... (I've got to where I've learned most of the pad numbers in the entrance at this point though, at least for the Coriolis stations).

I don't know what "icon in front of you" you are referring to. I'll have to pay attention at the next station I dock at because it sounds like there is a interface element I didn't even notice.

Most people don't, mind you I have the center dot turned on so it may not show if you don't, I have never tested it like that.

Oh yes I never back up, if I shoot past the pad it's a flip, fly back to pad, nose down, rotate level out and bang you're down.

the "compass" dot doesn't show the station center, it actually shows the landing pad

this. i must have docked thousands of times in all kinds of places, never had the slightest idea of where the pads were supposed to be by number. they are usually easily visible at a glance (except in outposts or megaships), if not a quick look at the compass will get you in the right direction.

dunno, op, maybe you are too used to parking lots. :)
since you can't (yet) walk away from your ship after docking, there's no point in remembering where you left it. it's right there :D

since you can't (yet) walk away from your ship after docking, there's no point in remembering where you left it. it's right there

I once forgot where I parked in one of those massive mega-malls with parking 360 degrees around the huge complex. It really sucked.... Hopefully if we ever do get space legs the game also includes a "find my car" feature like Google maps on my phone has.

i think he means the "mouse widget", afaik in the mouse section of control options.

I once forgot where I parked in one of those massive mega-malls with parking 360 degrees around the huge complex. It really sucked.... Hopefully if we ever do get space legs the game also includes a "find my car" feature like Google maps on my phone has.

I had a friend whose wife reported the car stolen, the police found it three days later, still parked at the shopping center....true story! I knew her and this is exactly the sort of thing that happened to her.

i think he means the "mouse widget", afaik in the mouse section of control options.

Yes that's right, that's what it's called, I couldn't remember. I use it even with joystick, however I have never checked to see if the station icon is present without the mouse widget turned on, it makes it easy to see when you are dead level with the slot and can boost straight through.

Yes that's right, that's what it's called, I couldn't remember. I use it even with joystick, however I have never checked to see if the station icon is present without the mouse widget turned on, it makes it easy to see when you are dead level with the slot and can boost straight through.
It is present. Never use the mouse dot. They should ban that :ROFLMAO:

Lestat

Banned
The best idea if you have a hard time using the Compass Maybe to buy a Docking computer. Watch the compass and you can find how to locate your landing pad.

You don't need to use numbers. You just need to target the Station ask to dock. Once you enter. watch your compass as you fly forward. if it starts going one direction. rotate Until compass dot is pointing downward. By now you should be able to see your number pad. If you see an o you pass your landing pad. It the dot is pointing straight downward. You are over your landing pad.

I totally agree that the pad numbering does nothing to help a pilot find the assigned pad. The numbering system has blatantly been created by a programmer that has no experience of anything to do with aviation.

If the starports of Elite really existed in the real world, pad numbers would describe where they were located inside the starport. This would decrease the pilots mental workload and allows the pilot to "fly the ship" rather than play the "hunt the pad" mini game.

1) When flying through the slot with the greens on your port (left) side, all odd pad number should be above and all even pad numbers below.

This simple and obvious measure would mean that on pad assignment, the pilot would now know which orientation to fly through the slot to have the assigned pad below them and prevent the need for a quick 180 roll. It also divides the area the pilot has to search in half.

2) Pad numbers should include a designator to indicate their distance from the slot. F (Front), M (Middle), R (Rear).

On pad assignment the pilot would instantly know whether they need to start slowing down before traversing the slot or after. Used in conjunction with point 1 the pad search area would be reduced to a sixth.

Whilst the current system works once you know that the compass points to your assigned pad after you traverse the slot, together with the difficult to memorize pad numbers, the system as it stands results in pilots playing the "hunt the pad number" mini game in the most congested airspace of the starport.

I just think it would be nice to know roughly where i'm going in the starport when i'm assigned a pad. Then I can decide what side i want to put the greens, and how fast i can traverse the slot and all before i've even lined up with it.

I have no problem with pad numbers. It's like a call sign assigned by the control tower. They say I'm assigned to pad 32, fine by me. The white dot always shows the pad direction after landing is allowed. What I complain about is the pads themselves. Light is too low. It should have a higher beam and direction sign for easier alignment. Most of the times, I approach pads like an airplane, not from above where no visibility is possible.

The issue, with the supposed counter to my orginal post, of the compass, is that it only shows your pad once you enter the slot. If you're moving at speed and its a pad directally below the entrance there is a large chance you can miss this pad. Of course I could use a docking computer, but firstly its slower and secondly I like to fly it mself!

All these solutions provided are work around of the initial problem which is that, the numbering system isnt really clear at all.

Answers such as "its been too long to change" are kind of a non argument since there are MANY things FDev have changed since its original version. Most recently the left and right panels for a start. They are completely different, in order to make them more understandable or simplified for newer/console players. All I'm suggesting is the same with the pad numbers.

I admit my method isn't perfect. Maybe the first character could be a letter which denotes direction? and the latter a row?
Or maybe the hologram on the dashboard could down a cut-away moving hologram of the inside of the station (once docking has been approved) with a flashing icon of the pad shown?

Top Bottom