Expanding from a system without controlling it?

If the controlling faction is already in a war and another faction goes above 75 percent to expand then will they be able to expand without controlling the system? I know that a war usually goes pending when influence is above 60 percent if you don't control the system but I'm guessing it wouldn't if the controlling faction is already at war.

If the controlling faction is already in a war and another faction goes above 75 percent to expand then will they be able to expand without controlling the system? I know that a war usually goes pending when influence is above 60 percent if you don't control the system but I'm guessing it wouldn't if the controlling faction is already at war.
This can work in theory - you don't need system control to expand. The only examples of it actually happening since 3.3, however, I think have been in locked systems where conflicts are impossible.

In practice, 3.3 made it much harder, because you'd need the controlling faction to be in a conflict and under 12.5% influence, or there wouldn't be 75% spare influence in the system for you to use for expansion. You can no longer just lock the controller in a conflict elsewhere for a couple of weeks while you get the expansion.

Back-of-envelope, the juggling needed to expand without ever starting a control war would probably be easiest in a system with exactly four minor factions, and you'd probably need two control conflicts - one to let you get past the controller safely, and a separate one at a lower influence level to stop the coup when you got to 60%. The fourth faction you use as a buffer to store influence before the war starts, and take it out for yourself once the conflict is going.

This can work in theory - you don't need system control to expand. The only examples of it actually happening since 3.3, however, I think have been in locked systems where conflicts are impossible.

In practice, 3.3 made it much harder, because you'd need the controlling faction to be in a conflict and under 12.5% influence, or there wouldn't be 75% spare influence in the system for you to use for expansion. You can no longer just lock the controller in a conflict elsewhere for a couple of weeks while you get the expansion.

Back-of-envelope, the juggling needed to expand without ever starting a control war would probably be easiest in a system with exactly four minor factions, and you'd probably need two control conflicts - one to let you get past the controller safely, and a separate one at a lower influence level to stop the coup when you got to 60%. The fourth faction you use as a buffer to store influence before the war starts, and take it out for yourself once the conflict is going.
Thanks for all that information, so it's probably much easier to just take the system over and then expand.

Top Bottom