New throttle to replace TWCS? Tired of greasing :(

Really, I like every other aspect of it, but the throttle is so sticky when you're doing small movements and I am tired of trying new greases all the time. A couple that I have been looking at are Warthog and CH Pro Throttle. Anyone with experience with either of those who can say how the throttle feels when doing small adjustments?
Or maybe the new(ish?) Logitech X56? Although that would involve a new stick as well, but it looks delicious.

I use the CHPro Throttle and totally recommend it. I have used the Warthog and found it just too massive and uncomfortable for desk use - the CHPro on the other hand has a smaller footprint, smooth linear travel, comfortable height and buttons well placed. The Warthog is built of armour-plated steel (not really but is massive all-metal) the CHPro is nylon-reinforced plastic and really robust.

EDIT - Forgot to mention - there are loads of yootoob videos about using velcro pads etc to mark a centre-point for the CHPro Throttle slider travel if you don't want to use a reverse-throttle button - I don't think it is possible to do that with a Warthog. (I use pinky button on the throttle as reverse, set to push to hold.)

Last edited:
The TWCS should be opened up, the rails and slide mechanism cleaned, then a quality damping grease applied. Assuming you apply it correctly, to clean parts (and aren't using it in a wood shop or coal mine), something like Nyogel 767a should last years without needing another application.

Anyway, I have two CH Pro Throttles currently (and have owned three), one of which has been modded, as well as a Thrustmaster TWCS throttle. Properly setup, the TWCS is an appreciably better throttle mechanism, IMO. I still prefer the the CH throttle, but that's due to the mini stick location....the actual throttle slide on the TWCS is quite good once it's greased correctly.

Awesome, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear about the CH throttle.

EDIT - Forgot to mention - there are loads of yootoob videos about using velcro pads etc to mark a centre-point for the CHPro Throttle slider travel if you don't want to use a reverse-throttle button - I don't think it is possible to do that with a Warthog. (I use pinky button on the throttle as reverse, set to push to hold.)
I've actually seen some really fancy Warthog mods for that, but yeah it's probably easier to do that on CHpro
The TWCS should be opened up, the rails and slide mechanism cleaned, then a quality damping grease applied. Assuming you apply it correctly, to clean parts (and aren't using it in a wood shop or coal mine), something like Nyogel 767a should last years without needing another application.
I've tried to do my best and really thought the greases I found would do it, but no. And the magical 767a I would have to order from who knows how far away, and I don't really want to do that either, for reasons. So now I'm just so tired of it that I would rather try something entirely new :D I have no doubt though that it's really good once you get it working smoothly.

Any experience with newer (preferably a few month old) CH throttles? I've seen a few not so encouraging user reviews that suggests it's going the way all modern controllers seem to go: cheaply manufactured while economizing quality control, in this case the mini stick was often mentioned as in losing its center point after a while.

I've already wasted 2 different Hotas' from two different vendors in about 6 month, while currently using a 20 years old joystick that contains 2 motors (force feedback stick, motors replace the "coil" now, no force feedback supported anymore by most games) that is all still intact and works like a charm. I'm meanwhile very reluctant to toss more money out of the window for modern controllers.

I literally just received a new one last month from the states for my secondary setup. There seems no difference, just no "assembled in Mexico" sticker any more. I have had no issues with it (or the new Fighterstick also on that PC) - still as reliable as ever and no the mini-stick has not drifted. (If anything it has a more reliable centre-point requiring less dead-zone correction than my long-serving one.) Admittedly one month of use does not reliability prove but honestly CH use only quality components so I am still happy.

I suspect people's comments you refer to about the mini-stick are just misunderstanding it. It has a short throw and the centre point is notorious for being "wide" as a result - hence I (and I think most people) have dead-zone set to accommodate this.

I know the CHPro Throttle is a bit pricey but it is worth it in my opinion. If you buy it from Amazon they do have a good return system if you are unhappy with it, although since it is shipped from USA at the moment that might complicate non-fault returns - I don't know about that.

I've tried to do my best and really thought the greases I found would do it, but no. And the magical 767a I would have to order from who knows how far away, and I don't really want to do that either, for reasons. So now I'm just so tired of it that I would rather try something entirely new :D I have no doubt though that it's really good once you get it working smoothly.

Cleaning off all the old stuff is important as mixing greases, especially ones of different purposes or viscosities, can have unpredictable results. You also want to coat both contact surfaces completely with their own thin layers.

I like 767a, but there are other thickened damping greases that should be perfectly sufficient. It's important that it's actually a damping grease and not just a lubricant though.

The CH Pro throttle has a totaly different slide mechanism and has pros and cons vs. the TWCS. It's simpler and doesn't really need lubrication, but lubrication can help, and it's not as precise as the TWCS.

Any experience with newer (preferably a few month old) CH throttles? I've seen a few not so encouraging user reviews that suggests it's going the way all modern controllers seem to go: cheaply manufactured while economizing quality control, in this case the mini stick was often mentioned as in losing its center point after a while.

I've already wasted 2 different Hotas' from two different vendors in about 6 month, while currently using a 20 years old joystick that contains 2 motors (force feedback stick, motors replace the "coil" now, no force feedback supported anymore by most games) that is all still intact and works like a charm. I'm meanwhile very reluctant to toss more money out of the window for modern controllers.

My newest sample is almost two years old at this point, but in my experience CH is not particularly good with consistency, especially with the Pro Throttle.

I have not had many issues with drift (I suspect most cases of this would be solved by cleaning and lubricating the gimbal), but the level of hardware dead zone and even return force on the mini-stick springs varies noticeably from sample to sample.

It's still the best non-custom throttle mini-stick out there, but needs some modding to really shine.

I just read those two reviews (thanks google translate) and the 2015 one sounds dodgy - why didn't they get a replacement if it arrived with wobbly feet? The 2017 one is more detailed - I have had no issues with the wiring but also I have not opened the case in either of mine. They come with a good guarantee so why not get it replaced if it developed a fault after 9 months? Both of these are upset about the mini-stick, really it is a case of understanding that there is only limited throw so centre-point return is a bit "wide". There is a 2017 review on the UK site that also doesn't understand that.

There are many more reviews on Amazon.com with as far as I can see no sign of recent quality issues so I am hopeful that my new one will be as reliable as my years-old one.

However, I am just a satisfied user (been using CH Pro stuff for many years), I have no connection to manufacturer or suppliers.

I have a 6-year-old Mexican throttle that has been fine - maybe I've been lucky.

The two Mexican sticks I've had (one ancient, one new) both have wires that are too short or misrouted, but they're mechanically as good as I remember my US gameport one being (I think).

My partner built her own throttle quad wih a 3d printer and a few stm32s... probably a few other bits too, but it's all beyond me.

I fixed mine (mostly) with an application of damping grease - Nyogel 767A. That said, I've got a new Mongoose throttle on order from VIRPIL. (y)

I thrustmaster joystick that I got with the throttle got flaky within a few weeks of my purchase. The twist axis got unstable and twitched my ship all over the place. I'm using my trusty saitek cyborg EVO joystick now. It's much better. I really can't recommend the thrustmaster T1600 hotas, it's just not very high quality.

Anyway, I have two CH Pro Throttles currently (and have owned three), one of which has been modded, as well as a Thrustmaster TWCS throttle. Properly setup, the TWCS is an appreciably better throttle mechanism, IMO. I still prefer the the CH throttle, but that's due to the mini stick location....the actual throttle slide on the TWCS is quite good once it's greased correctly.

I can also recommend the Nyogel.

Awesome, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear about the CH throttle.

I've actually seen some really fancy Warthog mods for that, but yeah it's probably easier to do that on CHpro

You can get Nyogel on amazon. It's pricey though. A tube costs ~ $31, but it will last forever.

Top Bottom