Elite Developers, fix the god damn economy.

But core mining is fun. I really enjoy the mechanics of core mining, it pays super well, but requires you to do the work, and the down time between core rocks, makes finding a valuable core even more rewarding. Plus you then have to survive the trip to sell the ores at the best station.

Nerfing it would make it significantly less fun, because the finding a core wouldn't feel like striking gold, and without that, the down time between cores would feel worse.

Buffing other activities would be good though. Some activities, like combat, pay peanuts, and don't scale beyond medium ships, despite the risks being significantly higher than mining.
I always get a kick out of the "finding gold" comments when we ignore gold in the game. I know it's a saying, but it's still funny.

No. You cannot buy any of the high price items. I think Palladium is about as pricey as you'll find with buy/sell.

Well, what would be the drawback of allowing higher priced items to be bought in saturated markets and resold in systems with higher demand? Though, finding a surplus of those items might be difficult unless the game were also tracking NPC shipments too.

If the mining economy worked like that, then maybe there would be more game play opportunities for those that like to transport cargo but not do the actual mining.

I spent all day doing delivery missions and earned give or take 30m credits. I spent 1 hour at a Painite hot-spot and flew away with 120m worth of cargo from collecting just 150 Painite. (It sold for around 780k each).
Lucky you - sounds to me like you just got lucky with your mining.

Was this using the new (as of 3.3) mining tools per chance?

Things that should be fun in this game simply are not, I'm now forced to default my play style as a miner because every other method of earning credits pays abysmally low in comparison.
30 million in an hour is not that unreasonable a rate of income but if you get lucky with the mission spawns I believe you can do better. Ultimately, earning credits should not be the main reason for engaging in an activity - whether you find it fun or not should be.

It shouldn’t EVER be possible to go from Sidewinder to Anaconda in one afternoon.

I think the credit grind is a very important part of the game.

Settling down in a system, building reputation with the factions and progressing gradually through the various ships is when ED shines brightest, it was a big part of the games addictive nature when I first started...

Very surprised that FD has allowed this void opal thing to exist.

I don’t know about other players but I just stop caring about what I’m doing once I can afford the games big ships and the engineering is all done.

So yes. I say nerf it to oblivion.

Core asteroids would actually be more interesting if they dropped a range of different commodities, with a chance of void opal fragments being amongst them.

I'd just prefer a more balanced economy.
No reason the credit earning rate needs to be balanced though. Other than you want to earn more than you do at one thing vs. another, there is absolutely no actual reason. You're original post posits that doing things that are "more fun" shouldn't be less rewarding then something that isn't...but that's a bogus argument because fun is a subjective thing. There are assuredly plenty of people that absolutely hate trading and love mining.

The best argument would be "but it's not fair"...and that fails as an argument in anything once you become an adult and realize fairness is also completely subjective and not something the universe cares about even if it weren't. Not to mention, there's a whole lot of other imbalances in ED that deserve attention more than any perceived inequity between trade and mining income.

Honestly, the people who should be complaining about income earned here are folks who prefer PvP to everything else....now that is an area that doesn't pay well in comparison to other aspects of the game.

Last edited:
Well, what would be the drawback of allowing higher priced items to be bought in saturated markets and resold in systems with higher demand? Though, finding a surplus of those items might be difficult unless the game were also tracking NPC shipments too.

If the mining economy worked like that, then maybe there would be more game play opportunities for those that like to transport cargo but not do the actual mining.
Painite has been on the board for a long time, but only relatively recently was able to be mined. You still cannot buy it anywhere. I think this is to give miners exclusive commodities, ones that cannot be bought, only sold. It also helps the mission board to generate demand that you cannot fill by just purchasing items. Bromellite, for example, cannot be bought. It's not even worth much, but there used to be a lot of high paying Bromellite missions. You see the other minerals being requested quite often, and most aren't even worthy of consideration. I mean, 400t of something for 2m? No.

It shouldn’t EVER be possible to go from Sidewinder to Anaconda in one afternoon.

I think the credit grind is a very important part of the game.

Settling down in a system, building reputation with the factions and progressing gradually through the various ships is when ED shines brightest, it was a big part of the games addictive nature when I first started...

Very surprised that FD has allowed this void opal thing to exist.

I don’t know about other players but I just stop caring about what I’m doing once I can afford the games big ships and the engineering is all done.

So yes. I say nerf it to oblivion.

Core asteroids would actually be more interesting if they dropped a range of different commodities, with a chance of void opal fragments being amongst them.
I have to disagree with your 1st statement. In a huge economic system with such an expanse to influence, many things should be possible if you can find the way to do it. So there should be opportunties that present themselves based on supply and demand that make earning 500m in a single day, starting with a sidewinder, actually possible. The problem comes when that method is shared and it's no longer a fringe find, now everyone runs to it and the supply exceeds demand. The BGS doesn't do a good job of keeping up with it. So you can have passengers paying 50m per cabin for thousands of ships to fly them one system over, because the station is so far from the star. Regardless of the supply of ships, the hand of god has to change the price to stop the madness. If the BGS accounted for supply properly, finds would be closely guarded, not shared on the internet, lest the opportunities vanish quickly... like IRL. So then the new player would have to luck up on some opportunities or be one of the 1st to be told about one. They couldn't just start a new game, and then read from forums or watch a YT video and be instantly successful.

Someone who manages this... good luck to them, but unless they are experienced ED pilots doing a restart they would be ill-advised to do so. Part of the reason for this is that piloting a big ship is somewhat different to piloting a fighter.

Ultimately, while the numbers may indicate that it may be feasible to progress from a Sidewinder to an Anaconda in an afternoon (c. 4hrs) - in practice it would take longer than that for a variety of reasons.

So there should be opportunties that present themselves based on supply and demand that make earning 500m in a single day, starting with a sidewinder, actually possible.
See, I don’t think there should be.

In a game where almost everything you do earns credits it shouldn’t be possible to make credits meaningless within a couple of hours of play.

For gamers, Credits = Dopamine, which ensures reward motivated behaviour. You don’t want to ever take that bit away.....it’s important.

In the current climate, FD simply don’t provide enough for us to actually buy. They could double the stock price of every ship tomorrow and it wouldn’t be a problem even for newcomers...

A single void opal asteroid yields around 20 million credits. That’s 3 x AspX’s....or 1 x Chieftain. And you can pluck it in an Adder.

It’s not just core mining. Surface mapping is crazy as well...

The use of ‘Road to Riches’ often brought out heated debate in the community here. But at least it took some planning...

Now all you have to do is strap on a DSS and filter for agricultural economies and you’ll be piloting the ship of your dreams in a matter of hours...

So no, I’ll be standing solidly by my first statement. I know I open myself up to a flaming by talking like this but god....it’s just daft in the black right now.

Last edited:
See, I don’t think there should be.

In a game where almost everything you do earns credits it shouldn’t be possible to make credits meaningless within a couple of hours of play.

For gamers, Credits = Dopamine, which ensures reward motivated behaviour. You don’t want to ever take that bit away.....it’s important.

In the current climate, FD simply don’t provide enough for us to actually buy. They could double the stock price of every ship tomorrow and it wouldn’t be a problem even for newcomers...

A single void opal asteroid yields around 20 million credits. That’s 3 x AspX’s....or 1 x Chieftain. And you can pluck it in an Adder.

It’s not just core mining. Surface mapping is crazy as well...

The use of ‘Road to Riches’ often brought out heated debate in the community here. But at least it took some planning...

Now all you have to do is strap on a DSS and filter for agricultural economies and you’ll be piloting the ship of your dreams in a matter of hours...

So no, I’ll be standing solidly by my first statement. I know I open myself up to a flaming by talking like this but god....it’s just daft in the black right now.
Because you know how to do it and if you haven't done it, you only know it's possible because you either read it or watched it. The sharing of best known methods renders the trial and error phase of the game moot for all except folks who either don't use 3rd party tools because they don't know of them or because they want the natural progression.

Top Bottom