Have the rescue ships by damaged stations stock equipment actually used in a rescue

Not quite true - they could have the kit, but still be short on man power.

@OP: A reasonable proposal but the available kit should probably be limited in range.
Exactly! The one thing they really need is ships, which we provide. My thought is, that it would provide a better opportunity for engagement, if we didn't have to specifically equip for a rescue mission if we happen to be in a system with one of those damaged stations. We could store a couple of our current modules on the rescue ship, load up with passenger cabins and heat sink launcher, and do a few rescues for 20 minutes. It's certainly more enticing if we don't have to go all the way back, re-equip, and then fly back again.

This is basically a "convenience factor" argument though....and this game pretty much never goes out of its way for the sake of convenience.

One could say the same thing about ALL outfitting at ALL stations...if every station sold everything, it'd be so much more enticing to re-fit your ship in order to do whatever activity you feel like doing when you are in the system... The rescue missions are not at all special in that regards. There are good systems for mining that don't sell all the mining equipment, for example.

Another Example: We have materials needed for engineering, and we have material traders...so why doesn't every engineer have all of the material traders on site at their base?

I could go on for 20 pages regarding the game not making concessions that would make things more convenient for us.

Instead, what the game makes us do is fly. Fly to get what we need, fly back to do what we want to do, etc. Seems to have been a design objective, encouraging us to travel a lot.

This is basically a "convenience factor" argument though....and this game pretty much never goes out of its way for the sake of convenience.

One could say the same thing about ALL outfitting at ALL stations...if every station sold everything, it'd be so much more enticing to re-fit your ship in order to do whatever activity you feel like doing when you are in the system... The rescue missions are not at all special in that regards. There are good systems for mining that don't sell all the mining equipment, for example.

Another Example: We have materials needed for engineering, and we have material traders...so why doesn't every engineer have all of the material traders

I could go on for 20 pages regarding the game not making concessions that would make things more convenient for us.

Instead, what the game makes us do is fly. Fly to get what we need, fly back to do what we want to do, etc. Seems to have been a design objective, encouraging us to travel a lot.

Yeah I get your point, but it sometimes gets ridiculous. 95% of the crap that's available for sale on the rescue ship, doesn't have anything to do with rescuing anybody. That's just as good a counter argument as the one you just made.

You're right it's a convenient feature. And there is balance that needs to be struck. But I don't think that balance is achieved by us having to fly a couple of hundred light years, just to have a little bit of a different activity on a whim.

Last edited:
Not really - I do get where the OP is coming from and it does actually make sense.

One could say the same thing about ALL outfitting at ALL stations.
Except that is not what is being suggested - it is more logical, reasonable, and constrained than that.

I agree it is not a necessity but merely just a nice to have but that is a bit besides the point. If it were done, then I would suggest restricting the passenger cabins to C4 Economy max (maybe C5 Economy also). Doing so would perhaps help to encourage new player participation in the rescue missions.

I agree it is not a necessity but merely just a nice to have but that is a bit besides the point. If it were done, then I would suggest restricting the passenger cabins to C4 Economy max (maybe C5 Economy also). Doing so would perhaps help to encourage new player participation in the rescue missions.

Agreed. It seems to me that FDev is trying to make the game more agreeable to a larger audience. Starter zones, new "minigame" play mechanics, big g asteroid explosions, etc. Something like a quick jump into a rescue to break up the monotony, I see as a good thing to that end.

I always assumed the equipment stock in a rescue ship was as random as everything else, sans stations that stock everything, or set for discounts or premiums.

Top Bottom