Almost quit for good today. Barely-escapable game-breaking bug!

So I've been exploring out in the black, as a means of trying out ED with my new PC setup and Oculus Rift headset.
About ten days ago, I found a system that had a landfall planet that was extremely close to its sun. Close enough that it looked like a big ball in the sky - you could actually see the surface, unlike most planets where it's just a bright point in the sky.
As can be expected from a planet orbiting so deeply into the gravity well of its star, it was also orbiting very, VERY fast. Orbital period read as 1.8 days. Not months, or weeks, DAYS. As in, one year on this planet = 1.8 days on Earth. That is really ing fast. So fast, in fact, that when I went in to surface scan it, it kept moving away from me and throwing off my probes. It wasn't until I was in orbital cruise that my velocity was finally matched with the planet and it stopped moving away from me.
Being an explorer, naturally I was curious how this planet would look from its surface, so I stopped in and landed. I was getting tired in meatspace anyway and I typically like to land on planets and shut down all my systems except life support before logging off - makes it harder for me to be spotted by anyone who might happen to be exploring the black, however unlikely that might be.

The next day I logged back in, powered up all my systems, took off, retracted my landing gear, pointed my nose straight up, and engaged the FSD. My intent was to break out of orbit and fly the relatively short distance to the star so I could fuel scoop before continuing my journey. The countdown reached zero, my ship lurched forward into supercruise, and then everything went black. I tore off my headset to find myself staring at an error screen - game had crashed to desktop.

Alright then. I found a glitch. Big whoop. I'll just try again. And so I logged back into the game, and tried again. Crashed to desktop.

At this point I was getting frustrated, and I assumed this might be an issue with the Oculus Rift, so I started the game in monitor mode and tried taking off again. CTD, followed this time by a rage-quit. Three CTD's in a row was my limit. I shut everything off and figured I'd try again next time I played, which ended up being tonight as I had to leave my apartment for a week to go pet-sit for my parents.

I get back after the work week(end) and try taking off again. Once, CTD. Twice, CTD. I was starting to panic, because every CTD put me back on the surface of the planet I was trying to leave.

After the third time I noticed that as I was jumping to supercruise, my altimeter would get screwy. It would bounce me 5km down toward the surface every time the countdown started. I figured the natural issue here was that the game was short-circuiting trying to figure out how I was jumping to supercruise when I should have been mass-locked and not able to engage the FSD at all, and was crashing to save itself. So I tried waiting until I was 20km up, and then I jumped. It worked... but now I wanted to test to see if this was a reproducible bug, so without thinking I flipped back over to return to the surface... before I had reached the minimum altitude for orbital cruise. The result was that I dropped back into normal flight over the planet, but doing so caused a hard freeze. However, this time I was convinced I knew why I had crashed. So I restarted, found myself starting in-flight at 15km above the surface, flew to 20km and went to supercruise. CTD.

Now I was really upset. I thought that my character would be trapped on the planet forever, unable to leave because of game-breaking bugs. I considered suicide but keep in mind I was - am - currently on my way BACK to known space with a treasure trove of scan data, including at least one Earth-like planet, all of which would be lost if I self-destructed. It was either that or a career reset. Both of which would have likely resulted in me quitting Elite for good.

I tried one last time to leave the planet. This time, rather than jumping to supercruise, I plotted a hyperspace jump to a star that was visible from the part of the planet I was on. FSD charged, I went to witch-space and then boom, desktop. Needless to say I came close to needing a new Oculus Rift headset, it was in my hands and about to be thrown into the nearest wall.

However, even though jumping to the next system DID cause a crash, it also worked. I ended up idling in space next to the new system's star, likely at the exit point of the jump. Subsequent jumps gave me no problem.

So fair warning to everyone on the forum, if you see a planet moving fast enough that you can see it moving, whatever you do, DON'T land on it.

And Frontier, please see my complete and comprehensive bug report on the tracker. I know this bug probably slipped through the cracks since having a landfall planet this close to a star is rare, but it almost cost you a player.

For anyone curious/stupid enough to see this for themselves, the system in question is Phylur PV-T B44-4, and the planet is the first planet in that system. The system itself is at galactic coordinates -1398, 34, 2458, about a good 100 or so jumps away from the bubble with a 40-Ly FSD range.

I am sorry, but getting upset do to a game bug feels a bit much too me.

If I encounter issues due to bugs on a planets surface, I usually try to start the game in non-horizon mode, as this will put you back in orbit. Another way out of such a situation is a support ticket (not just the issue report). Support usually helped players by relocating them away from "crash" planets.

I am sorry, but getting upset do to a game bug feels a bit much too me.

If I encounter issues due to bugs on a planets surface, I usually try to start the game in non-horizon mode, as this will put you back in orbit. Another way out of such a situation is a support ticket (not just the issue report). Support usually helped players by relocating them away from "crash" planets.
Good info, ty.

OP, I'm wondering if you were actually getting embedded in the planet due to its rapid revolutions. Were you on the leading side of the planet?

Glad you got yourself sorted, @Auriga_Nexus, and thanks for the info which might help other players too. But agreeing with the others, getting that worked up isn't doing yourself any favours.

Also, while that is a pretty nifty planet (I hope you'll share it once you have sold your data), there are plenty which are much closer/faster to their parent star and generally people haven't had any issue with them. If there's landables very close to each other that can cause issues if their exclusion zones overlap.

But in this case it's either that particular planet which is bugged (in which case FDev will be very interested to investigate to see why), or your client may have an issue. Try deleting the various cache files etc. (but NOT your settings) If you're running from Steam also validate your game files.

Fly safe! And remember, it's a game :)

I guess getting angry and stuff was just for building up dramatic tension, because you well knew that support could simply put your ship a few ls away from the star. If not, well now you know.
Still, good job at finding a bug and a rare stellar phenomena, I guess that's what exploration is all about.

Interesting... I don't think this issue is related to the fast moving planet. The fastest moving body known is Mitterand Hollow, in the Epsilon Indi system. There's no known bug on that body... yet!

Interesting... I don't think this issue is related to the fast moving planet. The fastest moving body known is Mitterand Hollow, in the Epsilon Indi system. There's no known bug on that body... yet!
Although MH is a deliberate tweaked asset, whereas the OP's is a Stellar Forge generated one. Maybe that's the issue? Some sort of boundary condition?

Although MH is a deliberate tweaked asset, whereas the OP's is a Stellar Forge generated one. Maybe that's the issue? Some sort of boundary condition?

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure the OP's problem is caused by the whole "objects sliding around in SC and then moving at stupid speeds in real-space" bug that's been around since January (?).

I managed to get "run over" by a megaship that was moving at around 500m/sec when I attempted to jump back into SC while in it's path.

I forget exactly where that happened but, IIRC, it was one of the "Old Worlds" that started with an A; Aona, Arexe, Aten or Atius.

Yes, fast moving planet, very rare bug. You were jumping in the direction of the planet's travel so as soon as you hit the supercruise instance (which converts your position and speed relative to the star, not the planet), the planet was catching up with you causing a crash. Difficult for FD to fix without altering the way jumps are made. This only happens with bodies orbiting very close (and therefore very fast) to their parents, I believe.

Yes, fast moving planet, very rare bug. You were jumping in the direction of the planet's travel so as soon as you hit the supercruise instance (which converts your position and speed relative to the star, not the planet), the planet was catching up with you causing a crash. Difficult for FD to fix without altering the way jumps are made. This only happens with bodies orbiting very close (and therefore very fast) to their parents, I believe.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if that was a "proper thing".

Make it so that if you're on the "leading edge" of a planet your FSD generates more heat and takes longer to spin-up than it does if you're on the "trailing edge".

Put in some planets with exteme orbits (like Mitterand Hollow and the OP's planet), put something valuable on them (Selenium Bio' POIs?) and then make landing on them and taking off again a real challenge, somehow.

I grow tired of all some of you (not everyone in this thread) Mary Poppins for chastizing players expressing their frustration with legitimate problems in the game. Don't you realize that you saw the branch you sit on when you disparage and discourage those who play the game? Try a little encouragement and empathy.

iu

To the OP, I feel your pain. Not regarding this particular bug, but other bugs that have ruined the game for me. That said, I'll never quit the game "for good", but rather I tend to quit the game "until the next update", however long that is. I love the game buried under the bugs enough that I'm even willing to start over from scratch if necessary when "New Era" comes out on PS5, assuming a rewrite of the core code to fix the bugs that personally vex me.

Last edited:
Suggestion: Instead of trying to go into SC, why not aim at a star in a different direction and hi-wake out there instead?

Suggestion: Instead of trying to go into SC, why not aim at a star in a different direction and hi-wake out there instead?
I tried one last time to leave the planet. This time, rather than jumping to supercruise, I plotted a hyperspace jump to a star that was visible from the part of the planet I was on. FSD charged, I went to witch-space and then boom, desktop. Needless to say I came close to needing a new Oculus Rift headset, it was in my hands and about to be thrown into the nearest wall.

However, even though jumping to the next system DID cause a crash, it also worked. I ended up idling in space next to the new system's star, likely at the exit point of the jump. Subsequent jumps gave me no problem.

I grow tired of all you Mary Poppins for chastizing players expressing their frustration with legitimate problems in the game.

I don't really see anybody doing that.

The OP's talking about "ragequitting" and considering smashing up his Oculus Rift when, at worst, restarting the game in non-Horizons mode to get back into orbit would have solved the problem.
After that, consider bunging in a big-report and move on.

ED is a game with it's share of bugs and it's share of time-sinks and booby-traps but very few of them are real show-stoppers and NONE of them warrant smashing up a £500 VR headset.

I think it doesn't need to get fixed, there should just be a notice "FSD failure" rather than CTD. Nobody said exploration shouldn't be dangerous.

I don't really see anybody doing that.
Not everyone, but some (I've edited my post accordingly).
The OP's talking about "ragequitting" and considering smashing up his Oculus Rift when, at worst, restarting the game in non-Horizons mode to get back into orbit would have solved the problem.

ED is a game with it's share of bugs and it's share of time-sinks and booby-traps but very few of them are real show-stoppers and NONE of them warrant smashing up a £500 VR headset.
When people invest time into a "game", it's still an investment, and frustration is understandable when it feels that investment may be lost. Do you really think (s)he is going quit by smashing his equipment? Probably not. Offering advice without the mocking "it's just a game" crap is fine. Just realize that sometimes people have to let off some steam.

Now if the OP were going into every positive thread and disparaging the game and Frontier as some are want to do, then I think they would warrant a strong rebuke and perhaps even some mocking for being a troll. I don't think this is the case here, however. And in this forum, there is a subset of players who chastise anyone and everyone for getting frustrated with the game for legitimate reasons. Such chastising only serves to drive players away, which is not good for the game. I myself have thought more than once, "If this toxic 'white knighting' is the community at large, then I don't want anything to do with it." I have learned over time that this attitude truly is just a subset and no the community as a whole, but newer forum members may not know this.

Thankfully I haven't seen any of the "Git Gud", "Can I haz your stuff", and all the other stereotypical mocking that tends to follow a post like the OP (yet), but it probably would have come soon enough. I'm addressing the bigger problem of this type of reaction as seen over and over again in threads like this.

ps - ever see how some football fans react when their team loses? Now that is overreaction!

I think it doesn't need to get fixed, there should just be a notice "FSD failure" rather than CTD. Nobody said exploration shouldn't be dangerous.
Now -that- would be bleeding nasty. Having to slow-cruise around the planet until you can safely engage the FSD.

I do like the idea of the FSD needing to take (much?) longer to spool up with the consequent heat buildup. Then it's up to the player to decide to pop heatsinks or abort the spool-up and try high-waking or a different direction.

But a CTD should never occur (although better than instant player-ship-destruction). Odd that it also occurred on highwake though..

Offering advice without the mocking "it's just a game" crap is fine.
I feel this was aimed at my post (correct me if not); and I'd just like to clarify that I was most certainly -not- mocking. Rather advising OP to take a breath and a step back. Yes, lots of time invested. I've certainly been annoyed at issues/events in the game myself. Partially because I do play it more as a roleplay/immersive thing than a game. I certainly get very annoyed at all the pew-pewers laughing and shrugging off ganks because it's "just shooting virtual pixels" which -completely- ignores any and all time and effort the victim has invested in the game.

But the occasional gentle reminder that it's "just a game" does help and it was NOT meant disparagingly.

Top Bottom