Notes from a noob explorer

Has anybody ever done Sag A in a Challenger, I wonder?

Probably... I've done Sag A* in a Sidewinder, so any other ship is easily possible

llzna1.png

As I said on another post I literally decided to take my mission runner cobra out exploring and set the initial destination by calling my stepdaughter in and saying "pick a star".

On the way I've found brain trees high g worlds, mountains (oops) a few Lagrange clouds which I had to look up what they even were and several elw.

I went to Sag A in a pre engineer asp but this currently feels more pioneering as I really have no idea what my ultimate destination will be.

As I said on another post I literally decided to take my mission runner cobra out exploring and set the initial destination by calling my stepdaughter in and saying "pick a star".

On the way I've found brain trees high g worlds, mountains (oops) a few Lagrange clouds which I had to look up what they even were and several elw.

I went to Sag A in a pre engineer asp but this currently feels more pioneering as I really have no idea what my ultimate destination will be.
Me too! After Saga A set course for Colonia and make the "Triangle" run get your badge(s) and most likely Elite for it. -I'm not far from you in a almost stock DBX.

So, I decided to go for a mini-exploration trip prior to something more substantial. Set off 'east' for the Coal Sack. When I got there, didn't look as interesting as I had hoped, so I decided to go "up". Wanted to see how high I could get off the galactic plane and to see if I could find some unexplored places.

Didn't get to find any of those, they were all taken by other Commanders (with mostly comedy names - kudos ;) ). But I did get to see the galaxy far below me, and see the true Black - there were no stars around me, other than the radiant mass below. Some pictures below of the beautiful emptiness, it was quite amazing.

I reached about 1400LY or so upwards before running out of stars to go vertically with, I had to start going laterally instead. It was interesting as the higher I got, the more restricted the jump options became. The night sky was a totally thick black with very few points of light. Very different to the "standard" sky view from within the bubble. I saw a few very interesting places off in the distance, one particularly looking like a nebula in the throws of pulling itself apart, but I don't know where / what this was.

Gave up after a short while of this as it was not a real goal - I can set a better target for exploration like Sag A or Colonia or even Beagle's.... On the way home went direct, no greedy stop-offs for too many credits.

Last edited:
Gave up after a short while of this as it was not a real goal - I can set a better target for exploration like Sag A or Colonia or even Beagle's....
Au contraire; this is real exploration - you setting your own goals and exploring and area of interest to you or trying to reach a point set by yourself. Shame you didn't manage to find anything unexplored, but too close to the Bubble it's getting a bit difficult. But go a kiley laterally in any direction and then up or down and I'm sure you'll find unexplored systems.

Going to SagA*, Colonia, or Beagle Point isn't exploration anymore. It's sight-seeing. Yes, they're a bleeping long way away, but that's not what exploration is about.

And thanks for sharing your impressions; it really is pretty cool to be on the edge, see all of the Milky Way spread out in one direction and the pure black of intergalactic space in the other.

Top Bottom