Game crashes on the launcher

Over the weekend i been trying to get this game to work on my better half PC but it just keeps failing to launch at all the launcher pop up she chooses the elite the screen pop up in a window then just hang for a short time then we get a Fail report window pop up.

She has played this game before on the same pc but now it will not. I even went to the extreme of reformatting the PC cuz she wanted it.

We even linked the game to steam to see if that would help but still NO joy the same thing happend over and over again we even sent in the crash reports ever time just in case some thing else went wrong

she got a first gen c17
8 gig ram
gtx 275 all drivers are upto date

but like i said this game has worked before now as you seen above

It's highly likely that the problem is the ancient GTX 275.
What version of Windows are you running this on?
Is it x32 or x64?

Minimum Specification for the base Elite Dangerous are here at the bottom of the page:

then how come the game worked before ????
Is it x32 or x64?

Minimum Specification for the base Elite Dangerous are here at the bottom of the page:

Is it x32 or x64?

Have to agree here, it's the GTX 275 that is the root of all your problems. It supports DX 10, the game requires DX 11 (and has done for some time). That is your biggest issue right there. Other issues include its lack of support from nvidia, indeed the "latest" drivers for it are pushing 3 years old now. It also falls short in terms of VRAM.

I don't know the rest of the system, but given the age of the card I can pretty much assume there will be issues there too.

Best bet, be nice to your other half and spend some beer chits on a few upgrades.

Things change.
x32 support was dropped for example.
As was DirectX 10.

In any case, I'd be looking at a GTX 1650 or AMD RX560 (which outperforms the 1650 by a large margin) to keep the system current, under ideal conditions both those cards are around 500% faster than the GTX 275. Obviously the pc you are working on is not really an ideal platform for them (it would be outperformed even by a pentium G4560 at this point) but they do represent decent value for money and power consumption if you don't want to do a complete new build.

Last edited:
As was DirectX 10.

In any case, I'd be looking at a GTX 1650 or AMD RX560 (which outperforms the 1650 by a large margin) to keep the system current, under ideal conditions both those cards are around 500% faster than the GTX 275. Obviously the pc you are working on is not really an ideal platform for them (it would be outperformed even by a pentium G4560 at this point) but they do represent decent value for money and power consumption if you don't want to do a complete new build.

Indeed, the DirectX 10 thing is the killer here.

If money is tight or you don't want to spend too much on an old PC maybe consider a second hand card.
As a benchmark my second PC runs ED Horizons ok on a 1st gen i5/i7 from 2010 with a Nvidia GTX 660.

Last edited:
Top Bottom