General / Off-Topic Let's Have A Debate: To Be, Or Not To Be Vegan? That Is The Question ...

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Ok folks, As you can see the thread has been reopened.

Discuss the post not the poster and if it starts to get feisty expect a permanent thread ban.

I had a 46% drop in triglyceride levels after switching to a high fat diet (mostly animal fats).

+ a 28% increase in HDL.

No changes to exercise levels, didn't give up smoking or anything like that, just a switch to LCHF.

Still have the pathology reports around somewhere.

TL: DW There's no reason to believe this diet is actually benefitial.

TL: DW There's no reason to believe this diet is actually benefitial.

A diet high in animal fats doesn't imply an all-meat diet, let alone a red meat heavy diet.

Even actual nearly-meat-only diets, like what some Inuit groups have traditionally had access to, don't bear much of any resemblance to this "carnivore diet".

A diet high in animal fats doesn't imply an all-meat diet, let alone a red meat heavy diet.

Even actual nearly-meat-only diets, like what some Inuit groups have traditionally had access to, don't bear much of any resemblance to this "carnivore diet".

You talk about the Ketogenic diet right?

You talk about the Ketogenic diet right?

Not necessarily even that.

Plenty of potential diets that are high fat, but not low enough in carbohydrates to be ketogenic that can be viable. Keeping total calorie intake in check...relative to one's physical activity level, of course...and having an optimal mix of fats (appropriate omega-3/6/9 ratio, minimizing saturated fats, and eliminating trans fat, etc) in one's diet is way more important than the ultimate source of those fats or the precise portion of fat to other calories.

It's probably easier to get a balanced omega-3 intake with the inclusion of significant animal fat sources (fatty fish, especially) than it is to make sure one mixes enough walnuts, chia seeds, and brussels sprouts into a purely vegetarian or vegan diet.

Not necessarily even that.

Plenty of potential diets that are high fat, but not low enough in carbohydrates to be ketogenic that can be viable. Keeping total calorie intake in check...relative to one's physical activity level, of course...and having an optimal mix of fats (appropriate omega-3/6/9 ratio, minimizing saturated fats, and eliminating trans fat, etc) in one's diet is way more important than the ultimate source of those fats or the precise portion of fat to other calories.

It's probably easier to get a balanced omega-3 intake with the inclusion of significant animal fat sources (fatty fish, especially) than it is to make sure one mixes enough walnuts, chia seeds, and brussels sprouts into a purely vegetarian or vegan diet.

That sounds closer to a standard omnivorous diet.

I suspect bitstorm's low-carb high-fat diet is far closer to a standard omnivorous diet than to the 'carnivore' diet.

Presumably, nontheless, are there any studies with proper sample sizes and diet controls over the span of several years to support the made claims?

"The Vegan market could easily reach $100 billion in 15 years, anticipate JPMorgan analysts.

Those at Barclays are even more optimistic: including meat cell products when they are marketed, the market could be worth $ 140 billion in 10 years, they says.

This would correspond to about 10% of the total meat sales in the world."

We can be sure that the agribusiness giants and investors are for the Vegan ...

I have never met a real vegan.

I imagine they are all washed out and gaunt looking, a bit like zombies but with nicer clothes

Neither have I but you hear about them all the time. The thing is that these people come across a little fanatical to me and I tend to stay away from such people as much as I can. I mean vegetarians exist for the longest time and thats a lifechoice that doesnt require demonstrations or pushing your opinion into others. Yet vegans clearly overdo it by preaching about their choice and how much healthier it is, how everybody else is "killing nature"...in short they are pushing too much. The most hilarious thing about these people in my book is that they are buying meat that aint meat for whatever reason. I consider vegan just another marketing trend promoted and marketed by copmpanies to increase their revenue.

In the same context everything "bio" is a fat lie in my eyes especially as even bio products are sprayed and treated, just not as much as the regular stuff.

Its like people dont understand how much food is required to keep a 7 billion population up and running and not at minimum level but providing all the stuff unequally as we see in our world. I dont fail to realize that this movement seems to be present mostly in first-world countries or developed areas where there is an excess in supply and diversity. Considering how many people in the world suffer from hunger or live on a minimum calorie intake daily I cannot imagine any of them coming up with such a harebrained idea.

And this isnt stupidity. Its just ignorance on a criminal level. I agree fully that animals need to be treated with respect, living things rather then objects but that comes down to the individual mostly. And in many cases demand is so high that you simply cannot consider the animals "feelings". Its a necessity in order to keep humans alive. Its okay to disagree with industrial animal farming. Tho as long as there is no viable alternative to these established methods (and most people in the world dont have the luxury to chose) its just kids whining. Somebody has to put on the big boy pants and do the hard work or make the hard decisions in order to keep everybody alive. What would the solution be? Less humans on the planet? Everybody eats plants?

Humans are omnivores. We can exist on a huge variety of different diets and what people eat in the world usually comes down to whats availble locally. In many cases its lifestock. But regardless if people eat meat or not....most diets only consist of meat in part. I still eat veggies or fruit or fish (which really is meat to me but whatever...the rest of the world seems to think otherwise). I have even suffered extreme hunger so severe that I had to be hospitalized in order to survive.

So whoever thinks he has to be a vegan...thats his or her choice. Its not mine. I dont deny people free choice to do what they want. But I refuse to be accused of "cruelty" or being the problem when I simply try to stay alive. Its a personal and private choice I feel, just like religion or sex. You might have your preferences but you really dont need to tell others what your choice is or worse....discuss if its "superior" in anyway. Best way to urinate me off.

/peace

WingardiumLevicoaster

Volunteer Moderator
Went to a vegan restaurant once, for a friend's birthday. Everyone looked malnourished!
Really? It's a pretty old fashioned stereotype. Have you seen the kind of things modern vegan restaurants sell? The ones near me are things like Pie and Mash, burgers, pasta, pizza etc and an abundance of varied veg. Often you will find the majority eating in them are not vegans themselves either. I am a healthy weight (though I could probably loose a little round the middle) and I know I have no deficiencies because a lot of vegans monitor this sort of thing. It's considered a healthy diet by the NHS if balanced as with any diet. if it's not balanced it's not healthy.

Really? It's a pretty old fashioned stereotype. Have you seen the kind of things modern vegan restaurants sell? The ones near me are things like Pie and Mash, burgers, pasta, pizza etc and an abundance of varied veg. Often you will find the majority eating in them are not vegans themselves either. I am a healthy weight (though I could probably loose a little round the middle) and I know I have no deficiencies because a lot of vegans monitor this sort of thing. It's considered a healthy diet by the NHS if balanced as with any diet. if it's not balanced it's not healthy.
Stereotype or not, it's what was there.
But the options are there... I have tried some of them... but if I'm eating vegetables I prefer them not to be trying to imitate meat, tbh.

Stereotype or not, it's what was there.
But the options are there... I have tried some of them... but if I'm eating vegetables I prefer them not to be trying to imitate meat, tbh.

Thats what I dont get and which comes across hypocritical to me. Refuse meat and everything that animals suffered for....sure. Why do people crave sausage formed veg patties then? Is it kind of a transition help?

Top Bottom