PvP Hull Reinforcements vs. Module Reinforcements

Okay, I had a guy join my private group.... let's call him Mouse Trapper (1). Naturally, I want to murder him.
The thing is, I don't know which is more important, or how to prioritize Hull Reinforcements vs. Module Reinforcements.

Is there a general rule of thumb for this or is it a nasty 'learn by experience' kind of thing?

I did get the super fast FSD with the +10% module reinforcement but I'm not sure if that is just a silly experimental effect or if the 10% is important.
I'm only just starting to play with these reinforcement packages so any general wisdom would be appreciated.

NOTES
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1: I don't want to name and shame here.

Last edited:
Even on sidewinder you can put 2 mrp and 2 hrp and a guardian shield reinforcement
Up until a few days ago I was flying with no MRP or HRP and I'd quite often get melted by NPC ships - other players were out of the question.
So after stacking some HRP (went from 126 to 995 armor) suddenly I'm not so melty.

I noticed too that often I'd be at 89% (or therebouts) and with malfunctioning modules.
With the MRP I was getting down to 44% (or thereabouts) with no malfunctioning modules.
Looks like a balancing act to me.

If a person snipes your modules do they do general hull damage?

Unless you are in a hull tank, experiment and see what goes first- hull or modules. Normally hull goes first, so add more HRPs and pare back MRPs until you are happy. You also can't engineer MRPs, and you also have Guardian MRPs too (slightly more HP but need power).

Unless you are in a hull tank, experiment and see what goes first- hull or modules. Normally hull goes first, so add more HRPs and pare back MRPs until you are happy. You also can't engineer MRPs, and you also have Guardian MRPs too (slightly more HP but need power).
The hull tank thing puzzles me a bit - are these people who don't use shields?
It seems you'd have to repair after every battle whereas shields regenerate.
Maybe repairing after every battle happens anyways.

Interesting, I wanted to test shieldless cobra this evening full of MRP.
I found a defence tab in coriolis.io, it shows info about module damages and how much damage MRP accepts.
I read somewhere (elite wiki?) that lesser % of hull gives more breach damage chance (weapons have own values of the chance). In case of the breach the weapon deals breach damage (amount again is individual per weapon type). And that damage is shared between MRP and modules. This is what I used to think.

Last edited:
I did that in pve. No peeps required for sys. Anaconda with MCs. You can fly 0 - 4 -2, and it is amazing.
Need to avoid collisions and explosions (all PDs in utility slots, because no shield boosters are required)
Actually not. With the anaconda I started to care when the hull is below 25%. Repairing is very slow (as for me).

Last edited:
Hull tanks are functional builds. But where they really shine is in PvP. Hull tanks can use heat skinks and silent running to completely avoid the enemy's sensors. With no targeting solution, you can only resort to fixed weapons, and you loose any info about the foe's ship - hull and module damage. It's a HUGE advantage.

MRPs stack in a weird way. The total protection they offer is a multiplier, much like resistances - ie. if you have 60% protection and add another MRP, the second MRP only applies its protection to the 40% that got through the first one, a third MRP will take 60% off whatever gets through that, and so on.

However - and this is important - all the damage that the MRPs soak for you is applied to the largest MRP in the list. If you stack three MRPs, no matter how big the second and third ones are, they don't take any damage until the first one is rendered inoperative, but they still effectively mean 94% of the module damage you take is redirected towards the first one.
Therefore - fit one big MRP somewhere with a lot of integrity, a guardian one if you can swing it, and make any second or third (three is probably overkill tbh) modules as small as you possibly can since they still effectively provide the same benefit as a larger one as long as you don't let your big one fail.

MRP's will absorb damage when the enemy sub-targets your modules. NPCs do this as well. I use 2 MRPs minimum, but no more than 3. I'll use guardian MRP if I have an excess in my power budget, but that rarely happens. The rest of the optional slots go to HRP and/or guardian shield reinforcement packages.

Even if you run a shield tank, u usually get some heat damage from SCB's, even with heat-sinks, especially running energy weapons, if you don't, then it mean you lack firepower:)
large a-rated modules are way more expansive to repair than hull.

MRPs stack in a weird way. The total protection they offer is a multiplier, much like resistances - ie. if you have 60% protection and add another MRP, the second MRP only applies its protection to the 40% that got through the first one, a third MRP will take 60% off whatever gets through that, and so on.

However - and this is important - all the damage that the MRPs soak for you is applied to the largest MRP in the list. If you stack three MRPs, no matter how big the second and third ones are, they don't take any damage until the first one is rendered inoperative, but they still effectively mean 94% of the module damage you take is redirected towards the first one.
Therefore - fit one big MRP somewhere with a lot of integrity, a guardian one if you can swing it, and make any second or third (three is probably overkill tbh) modules as small as you possibly can since they still effectively provide the same benefit as a larger one as long as you don't let your big one fail.
Thank you very much for this valuable info!

I built a hull tank Corvette for a PvE challenge (and to explore HRP/ MRPs) a bit more. With big ships you'll always get hit, so it made sense to fit more HRPs. The same is true for hybrids to an extent. I then worked from that and looked at what modules went, and fitted two MRPs.

Warg, as a friend I tell you: you neither need HRPs nor MRPs at all.
And always go for D rated shields, they are the best.
You may or may not follow this advice.

Also what Scree said. More then 2 MRPs are not necessary imho, on shieldtanks or PvE vessels one should be sufficient, or you can even go with 0.

Last edited:
Top Bottom