A reminder of a Fdev promise from 10/2017

I can’t help but think that the instancing limit of 32cmdrs really limits fleet carriers from ever being anything meaningful. But, I could be very wrong.

Flimley
Does make me wonder if the delay was so they could rework the networking for Space Legs as well - it's bad enough seeing ships bouncing around on the map, if people start doing that in stations....

You should do that. The advert font might mean nothing to us in UK, but no matter! I have no doubt it will inspire the developers to raise their game to your exacting standards!

Maybe you could add some other encouraging messages? "GET BACK TO WORK!" "WHY ARE YOU LOOKING OUT THE WINDOW? WHERE'S MY PANTHER??" and such.

In capitals. The warm glow of gentle appreciation won't work without capitalisation.
I think the Forum posted on a giant video screen would be a great incentive! :ROFLMAO:

I can’t help but think that the instancing limit of 32cmdrs really limits fleet carriers from ever being anything meaningful. But, I could be very wrong.

Flimley

That depends on what people imagine it to be for. As a mobile base it doesn't matter. If people are thinking massive fleet carrier battles, then yeah. But I wager the same goes for space legs, base building etc etc. Whenever people think massive Star Wars they are bound to be disappointed.

So, if the main excuse for not having a public dev time line is because FD dont want to break promises. Then why did they do exactly that?

Does make me wonder if the delay was so they could rework the networking for Space Legs as well - it's bad enough seeing ships bouncing around on the map, if people start doing that in stations....
I kind of agree, I also think/suspect that this iteration of ED has been pushed as far as it can. And with the Cobra engine continuing to receive some big updates(you know what they are). I think a decision was made to halt everything for now and put some major work into a complete refresh and even partial rewrite to connect ED to Cobra efficiently.
That’s the impression I get reading in between the lines. Anyway all this speculation makes Flimley’s mind hurty.

Flimley

Last edited:
I'm not sure 32 has ever been a limit beyond the original kickstarter "we think it will be about this much" - you'll have trouble getting anywhere near 32 without anchor wings, but can easily double it (or more) in the right circumstances with them.

I don't mind that deadlines are missed. I work in the real world and perfectly understand that crap happens.

I think my primary gripe isn't even really about fleet carriers. My true source of frustration is Fdev's fractured and inconsistent communication "strategy". Many players do not have the time to monitor live streams, forum threads, news letters, Face Book posts, tweets, smoke signals, telegrams posted in town square, Morse code from satellites, carrier pigeon messages, and whatever other random method fdev uses to sporadically pass out scraps of barely useful information.

How hard is it to pick one place, one medium, and set a specific schedule such that everyone knows where and when to be to learn what's new? I don't care what frequency is used as long as the time and place are consistent. Once a month? Twice a month? Once every two months? It doesn't matter. Just tell us where to be and when to be there, and have something to say that can be even remotely construed as valuable or pertinent information.

I've seen other companies do it. I've set it up for my clients. It really isn't that hard to do. I don't understand why Fdev can't seem to figure it out. Pick one place and one time, and then use the other communications media (including the game's launcher or main menu) to promote it so as many players as possible get the memo.

Last edited:
If you're still hung up about a "promise" a games company made 2 years ago then it speaks more about you than it does them.
That's a tad disingenuous :)... you must know this has been an ongoing 'promise' that's even been confrimed by a Community Manager a couple of weeks ago.

Edit - "confrimed"? .... could this be a twisted confirmation that doesn't mean anything ? :D

I actually admire Frontier for working at their own pace rather than burning their people out in an attempt to please a largely ungrateful and insatiable player base. And they are obviously under no obligation to communicate anything to any player.

But I think that they could retain more current players and draw more new players if they had a better reputation for consistent and meaningful communications with their players. Improved communications would be good for business.

Frontier has never promised anything. In fact, they’ve gone to great lengths not to promise anything. It’s threads like this that force them into silence about anything they’re working on until after it is done.

While this is true for many other features, carriers and ice planet overhaul were specifically announced at the Frontier Expo to be included in Beyond.

Some honesty from both sides would be appreciated.

Correct, they dont need to do anything. People are just asking for more info, that is all.
Lets see, they acknowledge that they are frustrating you while breaking deadlines/promises.
So it is fair to be upset by this attitude. Defending it doesn't help the situation in any way, just as much as complaining about it.

Seems like it'd be a bit silly to do such a thing at a time when FDev have freely admitted that there won't be any significant updates until the end of 2020.

If you still want to pay for a billboard in, say, march 2021 to remind FDev of all the things they've failed to deliver, I'll be happy to chip-in a couple of quid.

Top Bottom