What can I carry that will attract pirates

I'm currently bounty hunting but I fancy knocking out a few pirates just by attracting them to me instead of me going after them but it's same time I prefer to stay within the law so my question is what have I got to carry to attract pirates to me but stay within the law

Yeh, this is something to do when you are very, very strong. If you just cruise around in SC, you'll be ok, just get interdicted a lot by single ships or the occasional wing of 2. But if you go to a comp nav or hazres with gold in your gold, in anything less than an Uber python, ideally a Corvette or Anaconda, you'll be dead in about a minute and a half. Even scanning nav beacons will become a risky activity.

May be a better idea to just go to a RES without any cargo on ya. You'll get ganged up on pretty fast at a RES, and even a Nav Beacon will evaporate you once everyone joins in.

You can equip an interdictor and find Wanted ships in supercruise to bring the fight to them, but anywhere where pirates may hang out shouldn't be visited with cargo in your hold until ya know exactly what you're doing and have a nicely engineered ship. It's legal to interdict Wanted ships, so ya don't need to worry about breaking the law.

CompNav + 10 Tones Cargo = Pirates Galore.
7MeJKGQ.jpg

If you really want to attract outlaws, buy your tonne of gold and then go visit a HazRES. ;)

Personally, I don't find that carrying valuable cargo attracts "proper" pirates very reliably.
It's actually a bit more useful during Assassination missions, cos it seems to increase the chances that your target will come to find you, rather than you having to travel to the destination POI.

Comp nav about 50% more dangerous than hazres, I reckon, it's the sheer number of pirates that will already be in the instance, smaller ships but higher rank. In a hazres you might be able to keep up with the spawn rate if you're good. :)

What's a Res?

May be a better idea to just go to a RES without any cargo on ya. You'll get ganged up on pretty fast at a RES, and even a Nav Beacon will evaporate you once everyone joins in.

You can equip an interdictor and find Wanted ships in supercruise to bring the fight to them, but anywhere where pirates may hang out shouldn't be visited with cargo in your hold until ya know exactly what you're doing and have a nicely engineered ship. It's legal to interdict Wanted ships, so ya don't need to worry about breaking the law.

What's a Res?

It's a "Resource Extraction Site", they're found in the rings around planets (usually gas giants). NPC miners go there to mine and NPC pirates try to rob them, and you can go and bounty hunt the pirates.

There's a Low RES (easiest), RES (medium difficulty), High RES, and Haz RES (the most difficult). Low/Med/High all have system security in the RES that are patrolling the area and can help you fight pirates. Haz RES has no system security and the Wanted ships are tougher.

If you're in a populated system and it has a ringed planet, it often has a RES in the rings. There won't be one far from you. You can see them on your left-hand targeting panel when you're within 1000ls of a RES. If you're docked at a station currently, it may not show up, but once ya leave the station if you're within 1000ls you'll see them.

What system are ya in? I can help you find a Low RES.

Comp nav about 50% more dangerous than hazres, I reckon, it's the sheer number of pirates that will already be in the instance, smaller ships but higher rank. In a hazres you might be able to keep up with the spawn rate if you're good. :)

Have you farmed any CNBs recently?

Every time I visit one, these days, I just seem to get stuff like Cobras, Eagles and the occasional FDS or Krait.
I'll be there with my mat-gathering 'vette so I always plan on sticking around for a couple of hours but, these days, it's just not worth it.
Conversely, I'm seeing the full range of big ships at all the HazRES's I visit.

Do you still get things like Annies at CNBs? :unsure:

Deleted member 38366

D
Don't forget to fit 1 or 2 Point Defenses on the bottom of the Ship.
Otherwise the army of Hatch breaker limpets from Pirate NPCs will take any valuable Cargo on a journey very fast ;)

PS.
Might be combat rank related but the last time I tried it even my mighty Vette didn't last very long... Was a "good spawn" with juicy Targets - just too many ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I never heard of Resource Extraction Site either so I'm in a belt cluster which I figure if same and like always they're is absolutely nothing going on here. I've never been attacked by anything ever and I've been to most places so I'm struggling to connect being attacked just by being in the with place and hence I figured I must have to get something of value that somebody some where might want???? Any ideas. Maybe I'll just buy some gold and see what happens

It's a "Resource Extraction Site", they're found in the rings around planets (usually gas giants). NPC miners go there to mine and NPC pirates try to rob them, and you can go and bounty hunt the pirates.

There's a Low RES (easiest), RES (medium difficulty), High RES, and Haz RES (the most difficult). Low/Med/High all have system security in the RES that are patrolling the area and can help you fight pirates. Haz RES has no system security and the Wanted ships are tougher.

If you're in a populated system and it has a ringed planet, it often has a RES in the rings. There won't be one far from you. You can see them on your left-hand targeting panel when you're within 1000ls of a RES. If you're docked at a station currently, it may not show up, but once ya leave the station if you're within 1000ls you'll see them.

What system are ya in? I can help you find a Low RES.

Personally, I don't find that carrying valuable cargo attracts "proper" pirates very reliably.
Define reliably please, IME it certainly significantly increases the probability of being attacked by pirates just does not make their presence a sure thing.

I find rare commodities are perhaps the strongest pirate magnet.

If you want to find pirates reliably though, you need only visit RES sites and/or NAV beacons.

Well I never heard of Resource Extraction Site either so I'm in a belt cluster which I figure if same and like always they're is absolutely nothing going on here. I've never been attacked by anything ever and I've been to most places so I'm struggling to connect being attacked just by being in the with place and hence I figured I must have to get something of value that somebody some where might want???? Any ideas. Maybe I'll just buy some gold and see what happens

Belt clusters don't have much going on, but ya won't find a RES at a belt cluster, only in rings. And you'll see it on your targeting panel in supercruise and can target it.

If you're just going for bounties then a few tons of pretty much anything will do the job. You'll need a G5 ship capable of tanking some serious damage and one or two point defenses (hatch side) to defeat the many hatchbreaker limpets that you'll be receiving. Then just go to a CNB or Haz Res and have some fun. Have a route pre-prepared so you can run n jump because you'll get absolutely swamped with pirates attacking you. Even 10 eagles attacking will soon wear done 7000mj shields. A few Cmdr's do this in a wing with turrets and heal beams and just sit there healing each other whilst the turrets are chipping away at the pirates but that can't be fun

Top Bottom