OUT NOW: Sagittarius Eye Issue #22 (Get your copy today!)

Commanders! Issue #22 of the Sagittarius Eye Magazine is OUT NOW!

In Issue 22, we look back at Distant Worlds 2, get a taste for luxury exploration, investigate the structure of the Alliance, get a war report on the Thargoids, explore the science that powers everything we use, and go back in time to remember Apollo 11.

Seeking Breaking News Writers
Do you have your finger on the pulse of the Galaxy? Do you like digging out news and events from around Galaxy? Do you participate in Powerplay? We’re looking for dedicated writers to cover the news and events from around the Galaxy! Come and share your stories, act as an essential bias-check on our other writers… Visit our Join Us page to find a link to our Discord server.

Audio Edition
The fully voice-acted audio edition of the magazine is now available on a number of services. Visit our podcast website page to see them all.
We are nearing the end of audiofying the back issues. The release rate has been one per week. You’ll soon be able to listen to the entire collection of Sagittarius Eye while out and about in the black!

Seeking News & Event Submissions
Heard some news floating around the spaceways or know about an upcoming event? We’re looking for news and events from around the Galaxy. If you have any leads for news or events, send in a submission via our website.

Sagittarius Eye News Bot
If you’d like to stay up-to-date on news and events from around the Galaxy, visit our bot install page for our Discord notification bot. We are continuously working on improving it to offer better news distribution.

Patreon, PayPal & Ko-fi
If you would like to support us, we have a Patreon that offers various rewards to supporters. All funds raised go towards paying our operating costs. Even $1 helps and it would get your name in the magazine!
If you don’t use Patreon and would like to make a one-time donation to the magazine, we have a PayPal Donation Link.
If you’d prefer not to use either of the above, we have opened a Ko-fi page as another way to donate to Sagittarius Eye.

Our next issue will be released on Thursday, July 18th. Until then, enjoy some downtime and maybe pay a visit to Millese and visit The Printworks! Some staff will be on hand to offer office tours.

Zbigniew "Ziggy" Czachor
Sagittarius Eye Community Manager
On behalf of the Sagittarius Eye team

===============================================================

Farewell from the Office Manager

I joined Sagittarius Eye in March 3304 as a photographer. At the time SAGi had an in-house photography team to help source all the beautiful shots you see in the magazine. I was out in Colonia at the time and was one of only two SAGi photographers out in that part of space.

After one month, the SPVFA was brought in and all the SAGi photographers were either absorbed into the SPVFA or transitioned to other positions within SAGi. The SPVFA was able to offer near Galaxy-wide coverage for photography and was able to get needed shots faster. As no other positions within SAGi really suited me, I became the first Office Manager. Since then, I have done a variety of tasks mostly behind the scenes to help and, on the odd occasion, have written Bulletin scripts and even an article.

With other events soon to demand more of my time, I’ll be handing over the reins to a new Office Manager, Icarus Maru. We'll be going through a transition period to ensure the handover is as smooth as possible and that Icarus is fully up to speed. I’ll be hanging around the SAGi office for a little while after that to answer any questions the team might have and to give any advice that might be needed. After that, I’ll be casting off and opening the sails to head off into the black.

Thank you to all my fellow SAGi co-workers. The journey was unforgettable.

Craig Uchuu (for the final time)
Sagittarius Eye Office Manager​

Should be fined now. Can you try again?

Sorted. Thanks!

Unfortunately, it seems you let Allen Stroud create new Alliance lore, when actually, he is a member of Lave Radio, and therefore is not in any way a neutral observer and should not have written this article for you, if you aimed to be neutral. Allen is no longer connected to Frontier and hasn't been in years. His word is not authoritative beyond Lave Revolution, and there are a number of errors in this article and some complete inventions. Post-Lave Revolution politics is not covered in official lore.

Not surprised. The Elite media are hand in glove, and the distinction between Lave Radio and SAGi is almost impossible to make, considering you're mostly one and the same.

You know, you could have asked someone in the Alliance. You even have Alliance affiliated journalists on your staff. But instead you published a hit job by an Alliance enemy.

Last edited:
So, while it's lovely to see the Alliance featured prominently it's clear there are some awkward (to say the least) issues with this, eh, issue.

I would say that the article should not have been published, at least not in the state it currently is. If it had to be published the editorial oversight on SAGi's part was insufficient and some fact checking should have been done. It is in places a misrepresentation of the Alliance.

Personally I don't find it acceptable that someone so closely involved with a group that was heavily against the Alliance was treated as some kind of an authority on the lore, especially when he was in the past an authority on lore in the game. While I've nothing against Allen writing about the events in Lave or really any subject he wishes, it seems a number of things are perhaps mistaken or unconfirmed.
I will list some examples further in this response.

The main problem from my perspective is that Allen (having previously written a licensed novel) seems to have, for lack of a better term, made stuff up about the Alliance. Given his previous work is 'canon' it seems inappropriate for him to presume to create lore when he no longer has a working relationship with FDev unless there are some arrangements I am unaware of. As such, the article could be misconstrued as being factual when Allen doesn't currently posses the authority to add to the lore of the Elite universe. Add to that his involvement in a conflict with the Alliance and the issue of bias arises.

Ultimately however, I think it's not so much an issue of bias as much as it is reckless for the article to have been publish in a way that looks to be rather inappropriate in presenting Allen as an authority on lore.

SAGi risks either contradicting existing lore, being shown as wrong when new lore is developed or simply misrepresenting things. As mentioned near the top, some improved editorial oversight or fact checking would have mitigated these risks to SAGi's image and reputation

A suggestion to avoid this or similar situations in future (though it does seem to be an unusual one) would be perhaps some kind of "loremaster" to check statements about how things work, the history of the galaxy and other such things where discrepancies may arise and try to eliminate things that aren't confirmed or are incorrect such as things that Allen wrote.

I will now list some things that seem to be problematic:
Alliance society is diverse. Each member world has different needs and priorities. There are regional power blocs which manifest as vot- ing groups in the Assembly, but even then, the delegates recognise that the broad range of opinions, lives, and perspectives that are represent- ed in chambers provide the strength of each faction."
The highlighted parts are what seems off. For this one that seems iffy, I'm not aware of anywhere it's confirmed that clusters of Alliance systems form voting blocs. It seems to be a fabrication.

member systems must have an elected ci- vilian government — although in some systems (mostly corporate), the definition of ‘elected’ is stretched somewhat.

This is shaky at best, given that a 'democracy' can take over a system from a dictatorship without an election, just a war. This is not limited to "mostly corporate".

Large corporations obey a common set of export regulations, which in many areas have been subsequently adopted by the Federation and the Empire, so from the perspective of an interstellar trader running a small ship freight business, the Alliance has been a very welcome positive in- fluence.
While regulations for corporations definitely exist I'm not aware of any lore that confirms this particular statement.

Some trade items are considered illegal in Alliance space, but the en- forcement of the law varies between systems, as it is left up to the local authorities.
The only think that I can think of that is blanket illegal in Alliance systems are slaves but it paints the picture that some factions don't enforce this law. The only thing I can think of to go along with that are Alliance anarchies but Fed anarchies aren't automatically against slaves either. It could easily be retooled to "Some trade items are considered illegal in Federation space, but the enforcement of the law varies between systems" and as such isn't specific or defining to the Alliance

After joining the Alliance, Lave’s new democratic government quickly be- gan to recruit other systems from the region, known as the Old Worlds, into the Alliance and formed a voting bloc with these systems to rival the dominance of Alioth.
Again, the voting blocs idea and I'm not sure how far Lave Revolution extends past Lave actually joining the Alliance but I don't think this is confirmed anywhere.

Lave,with its ancient reputation, would provide a check on Alioth’s domi- nance of the Assembly, but many others were not convinced.
I'm not aware of anything that corroborates his statement of Alioth exerting what seems to be painted as a tyrannical dominance of the Assembly in the early years of the Alliance. Indeed, it is just one system, presumably with a single vote, the same as the others. In fact, the Codex contradicts this with "As no one system can be allowed to carry more weight than another".

In 3305, Lave’s elections saw a new party take charge of the system. Im- mediately after being elected, Lave Radio Network (LRN) withdrew the system from the Alliance.
This one is an odd one... While I personally respect the right of LRN to determine their own system's relationship with the Alliance there is a discrepancy. I believe Riri Mcallister, the former Admiral for Lave in the Alliance Council of Admirals was active in the lore after Lave became independent. Obviously this creates a conflict as she was still representing Lave and commanding its military in the Alliance after LRN was elected and apparently withdrew from the Alliance.

The matter remains under dispute, but for now, Lave has returned to be- ing an independent system, leaving behind a group of Old World repre- sentatives in the Assembly without its leadership.
Again, Allen seems to rely on this idea of voting blocs, suggesting that Lave was somehow in charge of the Old Worlds and that without Lave they are somehow floundered. This seems to be false.

Allow me to preempt some replies... Lave was highly controversial within the Alliance. Some members wanted to fight for it, some wanted absolutely nothing to do with the matter and others supported Lave. Personally, I fell on the side of Lavian independence to the extent of making a personal appearance on Lave Radio and voicing some support for them, along with sadness and regret at the idea of Lave leaving the Alliance. As you can see by my record I am somewhat biased in favor of Lave and their choice to be independent, my criticism of this article is entirely separate from my stance on Lave.

Outside of my "Loremaster" suggestion I would ask SAGi to consider altering the article to remove or correct the errors I have highlighted, however if someone can find and present any counter to issues I raised showing that it is confirmed elsewhere I would be happy to make my own corrections.

Oh dear. I'm usually a fan of made-up stories or "fan fiction" around ED and I've create some myself, but this is not the first time SAGi overdid it by essentially trying to create lore directly connected to powers and major factions. What's annoying and intrusive is not just the sheer fact that there's totally fabricated stuff (like this voting bloc narrative). My concerns arise from a combination of issues I'd like to address in the hope that somebody at SAGi might care about the way they impact the community. Because in my opinion articles like this result in confusion and anger rather than a fun contribution towards a franchise we all like to be passionate about.

The problem starts with the author. Allen has been the creator of official lore, so he has a certain reputation within the community. Everything he's going to write in a publication like SAGi will receive some attention and carry some weight. With the impact in mind, articles by Allen should be either totally fictional (including the subject of the article) or he shouldn't make up stuff at all and just stick with the facts of official lore. A forum post by Allen would be less problematic. But SAGi saw some promotion by Frontier, and the combination of SAGi and Allen could be seen as a very valid case that the content is somewhat "official" or at least widely considered as being canon. Reddit will recognize what's been written, and there will be arguments about it, because that's how things work on the Internet. Both Allen and SAGi failed to live up to their responsibilities that come with their reputation and media penetration.

Another problem about Allen being the author has already been mentioned in previous posts, but I'd like to second the concerns because I think it's quite important. Allen created lore around Lave in the past, and then he participated in the conflict between the Alliance backed native factions and the (also native) Lave Radio Network. This is problematic in two different ways: First of all, Allen as a former opposer of the Alliance shouldn't write about the Alliance in general (it's like me writing an article about Lave Radio, it'd be ridiculous, right?). Secondly, his Lave background as a novel author specifically put some topic-centric bias on the whole article. It was supposed to tell about the Alliance, but all of a sudden a huge part focused solely on the system of Lave. Lave received more attention than any other topic in the article, with the paragraph about Lave being larger than the paragraphs "Life in the Alliance" and "The Alliance today" combined. Other systems than the Alliance's capital Alioth and the currently independently ruled Lave haven't even been mentioned. I don't even blame Allen for that, it's just natural to focus on what you know best about. But because of that the article was biased before it was even written.

I really don't like to whine about this stuff when obviously somebody put in some hard work in creating additional meta content for a game. What bugs me is that this could've been easily avoided if SAGi considered to get some people from different sides (i.e. a few Alliance representatives, too) on board before publishing the article. It's just frustrating to see people spreading false facts about a part of the game you're trying to shape in an authentical way. The above-mentioned "voting bloc" narrative, the suggestion about somewhat undemocratic "mostly corporate" systems (which bugs me specificially since my group is running one of the largest corporations in Alliance space and we've been very serious about our democratic DNA), the "dominance of Alioth" stuff, the focus on Lave without even mentioning Zaonce, Leesti or any other important Alliance system in the Old Worlds... The list goes on and reading the article left me disappointed by the missed opportunity to create a modern guide to what the Alliance actually is about.

Hopefully this feedback will be seen as mostly reasonable. As a long-term Alliance player I'm certainly biased, especially when it comes to Lave. I'm aware of that. But so is Allen, and after all that's my point. I think SAGi strives to publish high quality articles, and biased or for other reasons incorrect stories and statements are contradictive to that goal.

and the distinction between Lave Radio and SAGi is almost impossible to make, considering you're mostly one and the same.

The vast majority of SAGi writers are not affiliated with Lave Radio. If you want to correct this perceived problem and you are a good writer, perhaps you could try submitting an article or two.

Not surprised. The Elite media are hand in glove, and the distinction between Lave Radio and SAGi is almost impossible to make, considering you're mostly one and the same.

Actually we're not. Ben and Souveraine (who is the SAGi editor) are the only full time members of the SAGi. Allen's done some writing for them and I've done a couple of readings for the podcast but that's about it. But as far as the running of Sagi, the majority of us don't have anything to do with it. See winston's above comment.

The other thing about Allen is that people forget he made a massive contribution to the Lore as the game was developed (it was part of his Doctorate) and that includes all of the Alliance, Federation and Empire not just Lave. Allen's sources come from the Lore documents that were submitted to Frontier and if FDev doesn't contradict them, then I would assume that they are true.

It must be said that I've always had a problem with Lave leaving the Alliance because the Lave Radio Network is marked as independent. Consider me a 'remainer' within lave Radio but going along with the Majority.

Commanders! Issue #22 of the Sagittarius Eye Magazine is OUT NOW!

In Issue 22, we look back at Distant Worlds 2, get a taste for luxury exploration, investigate the structure of the Alliance, get a war report on the Thargoids, explore the science that powers everything we use, and go back in time to remember Apollo 11.

Seeking Breaking News Writers
Do you have your finger on the pulse of the Galaxy? Do you like digging out news and events from around Galaxy? Do you participate in Powerplay? We’re looking for dedicated writers to cover the news and events from around the Galaxy! Come and share your stories, act as an essential bias-check on our other writers… Visit our Join Us page to find a link to our Discord server.

Audio Edition
The fully voice-acted audio edition of the magazine is now available on a number of services. Visit our podcast website page to see them all.
We are nearing the end of audiofying the back issues. The release rate has been one per week. You’ll soon be able to listen to the entire collection of Sagittarius Eye while out and about in the black!

Seeking News & Event Submissions
Heard some news floating around the spaceways or know about an upcoming event? We’re looking for news and events from around the Galaxy. If you have any leads for news or events, send in a submission via our website.

Sagittarius Eye News Bot
If you’d like to stay up-to-date on news and events from around the Galaxy, visit our bot install page for our Discord notification bot. We are continuously working on improving it to offer better news distribution.

Patreon, PayPal & Ko-fi
If you would like to support us, we have a Patreon that offers various rewards to supporters. All funds raised go towards paying our operating costs. Even $1 helps and it would get your name in the magazine!
If you don’t use Patreon and would like to make a one-time donation to the magazine, we have a PayPal Donation Link.
If you’d prefer not to use either of the above, we have opened a Ko-fi page as another way to donate to Sagittarius Eye.

Our next issue will be released on Thursday, July 18th. Until then, enjoy some downtime and maybe pay a visit to Millese and visit The Printworks! Some staff will be on hand to offer office tours.

Zbigniew "Ziggy" Czachor
Sagittarius Eye Community Manager
On behalf of the Sagittarius Eye team

===============================================================

Farewell from the Office Manager

I joined Sagittarius Eye in March 3304 as a photographer. At the time SAGi had an in-house photography team to help source all the beautiful shots you see in the magazine. I was out in Colonia at the time and was one of only two SAGi photographers out in that part of space.

After one month, the SPVFA was brought in and all the SAGi photographers were either absorbed into the SPVFA or transitioned to other positions within SAGi. The SPVFA was able to offer near Galaxy-wide coverage for photography and was able to get needed shots faster. As no other positions within SAGi really suited me, I became the first Office Manager. Since then, I have done a variety of tasks mostly behind the scenes to help and, on the odd occasion, have written Bulletin scripts and even an article.

With other events soon to demand more of my time, I’ll be handing over the reins to a new Office Manager, Icarus Maru. We'll be going through a transition period to ensure the handover is as smooth as possible and that Icarus is fully up to speed. I’ll be hanging around the SAGi office for a little while after that to answer any questions the team might have and to give any advice that might be needed. After that, I’ll be casting off and opening the sails to head off into the black.

Thank you to all my fellow SAGi co-workers. The journey was unforgettable.

Craig Uchuu (for the final time)
Sagittarius Eye Office Manager​
Ive just discovered this now.. omg.. im going to download them all and print them out and make a folder.. just wow.. what can I say.. fantastic o7

Ive just discovered this now.. omg.. im going to download them all and print them out and make a folder.. just wow.. what can I say.. fantastic o7

We are happy that you like it! :D

As for printing, we suggest Mixam.co.uk. That's where we print issues for ourselves and for Frontier. Good price and great quality!

The vast majority of SAGi writers are not affiliated with Lave Radio. If you want to correct this perceived problem and you are a good writer, perhaps you could try submitting an article or two.

I do write fairly easily, but I don't tend to publish in publications that have no editorial standards by their own admission. I have heard repeatedly from SAGI staff that there are none, that there is no attempt to hear the other side, or attempts to be correct. I think the magazine looks absolutely gorgeous and a big hand to the graphic designers. Unfortunately the writing is beyond help. Moreover, since the requirement is within roleplay, some articles are missed opportunities (the botting article would have been much better if we could have just talked about what actually happened. Since it needed to be in-roleplay, we declined to participate).

Actually we're not. Ben and Souveraine (who is the SAGi editor) are the only full time members of the SAGi. Allen's done some writing for them and I've done a couple of readings for the podcast but that's about it. But as far as the running of Sagi, the majority of us don't have anything to do with it. See winston's above comment.

The other thing about Allen is that people forget he made a massive contribution to the Lore as the game was developed (it was part of his Doctorate) and that includes all of the Alliance, Federation and Empire not just Lave. Allen's sources come from the Lore documents that were submitted to Frontier and if FDev doesn't contradict them, then I would assume that they are true.

It must be said that I've always had a problem with Lave leaving the Alliance because the Lave Radio Network is marked as independent. Consider me a 'remainer' within lave Radio but going along with the Majority.

I assume you mean "only full time LRN members"? Because if they are the only full time SAGI members of course the overlap is complete. But nevertheless, the editor of SAGI also being the Lave Radio host makes one rather open to that criticism.

Allen did some writing before for SAGI indeed. A previous article made the argument why Lave going independent is after all OK with the lore, another article filled with made-up arguments that just happened to serve his side. (*) This Alliance article extends that pattern.

What I think you fail to understand is that exactly because he was an official lore author before, he should be extra careful with articles like this. He is not a neutral observer, and he has no authority on lore when his relationship with Frontier ended years ago. He certainly doesn't get to create new lore. Exactly because he was a past lore author he must realize that he is now no different from any of us, with no additional authority over any Elite fanfic and faction lore writer. But, like Lave Radio and SAGI, should be especially aware how loud their voices are, and how much what they come out with sets a narrative that is near-impossible to rectify.

Allen should have some self-awareness about his responsibilities here, and either declined to write this if invited, or SAGI could have said "sorry Allen, we'll go to our Alliance affiliated journalist for this", or "Sorry Allen, as party to the conflict in Lave, at least strike that entire paragraph". At the very least, a disclaimer could have been added that the author has not had any official role with Frontier since 2015 or so. Or even, you could have gone to either the Alliance journalist on staff, or contact one of the main Alliance player groups for a review.

Narratives can be dangerous. The one created by our adversaries last Autumn has done enormous damage to our group, and brought on the botting army. This article is unlikely to cause similar harm, but continues a pattern. I just hope that those that speak with loud voices can be a bit more responsible with what they say. SAGI and Lave Radio have a semblance of officialdom. Community managers show off the SAGI hard copy on stream. Frontier shows up at LaveCons. Your voices carry far. Please be responsible.

Like CMDR H. Lehman, in his unofficial lore novel:

Into the Black was created using assets, imagery, and concepts from Elite: Dangerous, with the
permission of Frontier Developments plc, for non-commercial purposes. It is not endorsed by nor
reflects the views or opinions of Frontier Developments and no employee of Frontier
Developments was involved in the making of it. Into the Black should not be considered to be
Frontier Developments-endorsed canon.

P.S. Allen is a nice and engaging man, in person. This is not a personal attack. I acknowledge he helped keep things pleasant last Fall when things got out of hand, not least on the one-sided AEDC bashing on one Lave Radio episode, and put time in a counter-interview that others on the show subsequently did what they could to bury. I appreciate that. However, there were some missteps there, too, that led to a breach of trust. But neither that, nor the outcome of the Lave conflict is really at stake here. It is a recognition that those who speak loudly have a responsibility, and shouldn't abuse their privileged position to create false narratives. At least, put some minor fact checking process in place...

I myself try to make a monthly contribution to the community (mostly those interested in BGS) through the data sheets in my sig below, and make a big effort in trying to be non-biased and only comment on what the data actually says.

(*) Not entirely sure that was published in SAGI or elsewhere, now

Last edited:
The lack of response to heartfelt concerns is further concerning. Would it be possible to get an acknowledgement of hearing what we are saying rather than blankness?

Choke on this one!

A history of the Alliance from in-game sources.

Long live the Caker Rebellion!
Long live the Alliance!

Executive Summary:

The Alliance is an outgrowth of the Federation. Imperial governance of Alioth was always temporary.
The Federation were first to colonise Alioth and it was called "Fruitcake" because of the mineral deposits.
The rebels of Alioth have always called themselves "Cakers"

The Caker rebellions came in three waves.
The Early Caker Insurrections of the 23rd Century against Imperial governance.

A middle period of Caker unrest with Quenten Devineses leading a revolution in the 27th Century. A time when Walter Argent was born (Meredith's ancestor). And a further insurrection in the 2800's. The Cakers sought Federation assistance to throw off the Imperial force. After the war Fed Navy Admiral Kracer remained in New California (Alioth) as govenor. It is unclear whether he did so in the name of the Federation, or as a Caker.

The late Caker rebellion and the foundation of the Alliance.
Mic Turner held significant rank in the Federation Navy and lead a Federation fleet in the colonisation of Olgrea in 3224.
In 3228 Mic Turner moved to New California, met Meredith Argent (who was connected to Caker Cells on the gas platrforms) and founded the Alliance.
The next twenty years saw Mic Turner lead a successful campaign, bringing many systems into the Alliance like Indaol, Olgrea, and Holiacan. Until his death in 3252.

After this the lore is unclear. It ties into stories from FFE and we know that a lot of that has been retconned out.
But I think a few things can be reliably brought forward from FFE:
1) Mic Turner was killed in August 3252 in Pleione (by INRA). This was the last system he explored. His flight recorder also hinted at Polaris - now permit locked.
2) A requiem was held for him on 5th October 3252 - This should be a calendar day for Alliance CMDRs.
The rest of the Thargoid linked story can be disregarded - but it is in the thread below if you're interested.

Once we are at 3301 we can directly reference events and oral histories.

Official Timeline:
Details under spoilers, but headlines capture the story.
Number refers to in-game tourist beacon.

2452 Alioth ("Fruitcake") colonised by Federation.
0115 - Alioth History -Alioth After the war between Achenar and the Federation concluded in 2380, the Federation looked to find new resources elsewhere. In 2398, the first of a new wave of colonial missions was sent to the outermost sectors in the opposite direction to the Empire and Lave. Alioth was colonised in 2452. Survey data and reports had already indicated the rich resources of the system before settlement, but he resources proved richer than expected.

The first colonial settlement in the system was known as 'Fruitcake', the name given owing to the loamy consistency of the planetary surface and its propensity for small mineral deposits.

2259 Everichon Hijack - Alioth (Early Cakers vs Imperials)
0117 - Everichon Hijack - Alioth In 2559, the tourist liner Everichon, full of Imperial nobles was hijacked by a Caker group who planned to crash it into one of the gas giants. The attempt was thwarted by the Imperial commandos. The holo-vid broadcast and subsequent fictional dramatisation 'Rebel Madness', went some way to diverting popular opinion from the insurrection.

2473 Gateway (then "Oltiqu") Colonised by Federation. 2561 full membership.
0124 - Gateway History - Gateway Gateway was originally known as Oltiqu, but renamed when the Alliance was founded in 3230. The system had originally been under Federation jurisdiction after being colonised in 2473 to be used as a military staging area for a further invasion of Alioth. Over time, the military bases became more permanent colonies and settlements. The system achievend full federal membership in 2561, but remained relatively unimportant and in the shadow of Alioth for many centuries. When Alioth finally achieved independence in 3230, Oltiqu might have been a place where the Federation forces could rally and return. However a coordinated peaceful coup by sympathetic federal officials allowed the system to be united under the banner of the Alliance.

2612 Terraforming of New California (in Alioth) Details in "Caker Coup"

2600's Walter Argent born - a wealthy industrialist from Ayethi (ancestor of Meredith Argent)

2617 Tom Quaterson killed. Quentin Deviseses leads Caker revolution on gas platforms of Alioth.
0118 - Tom Quaterson Death - Alioth Having smuggled weapons into the system, the tension between the Cakers and the authorities was always going to spill over eventually. In 2617, the death of Tom Quaterson, a munitions worker who had been convicted of selling food coupons to the poor, was the spark that lit the flame of revolt. Workers on the gas platforms seized control of the facilities and planetside, the general populace stormed the Governor's residence. Quentin Deviseses wasn't just a revolutionary. He had a long term strategy for the system and as soon as the planet was secure, used every means he could to get the word out that Alioth would become a free trade port. The resource implication of Alioth's independence was too much for either the Empire or the Federation to take.

2618 Alioth 5b "Fruitcake" renamed to" Gordon's World"
Turner's World (originally designated Alioth 5b, then named Fruitcake from 2452 to 2618, and Gordonworld from 2618 to 3230)[1] is the capital planet of the Alliance of Independent Systems.
The Alliance Assembly is located in Garden City on Turner's World. It's close to the old industrial and ship-building city of New Rossyth.

2600's to 2700's New California Terraformed and Empire genetic experimentation and 'purification'
Alioth

Alioth presents a star system of enormous potential. yet to be fully exploited by its colonists. It has had a chequered history in terms of political dominance, and both Empire and Federation forces have fought over the rights to control the system. The only period when both Empire and Federation have acted together towards Alioth was the Quaterson revolution of 2617 when the people of Gordonworld attempted to wrest freedom from both major powers. Quentin Devisises led a coup to try and establish Gordonworld (then known as `Fruitcake') as a local capital of free traders, but was ruthlessly suppressed by a rare combined naval action of Federation and Empire navies.

New California was terraformed shortly thereafter, using an experimental accelerated program of genetic modifications. The Empire initiated the methods which met with mixed success in this trial planet. In later years the approach has become more reliable, but the native colonists of New California occasionally exhibit unusual traits which are carry overs from the mutagenic past. This is partly responsible for the favour shown towards the Federation by New Californians. If carried out to the letter the Empire's attitude to racial purity would call for a repopulation of the colony and removal the affected inhabitants. To prevent this, there is a permanent petition for recognition as a Federation protectorate from the population of New Califomia.

The experimental origins of the planet of New California in no way detract from its beauty and the mutagens buried in the environment are of no danger to tourists. ( NOTE: Anyone planning to stay longer than 300 standard days should ensure they receive the appropriate vaccination and chemical therapies after 200 days and at regular intervals thereafter). The system as a whole presents a stunning visual appearance, with an abundance of gas giants orbiting the giant central star. It has been compared in its compelling beauty to the sextuple sun systems of Andbephi or Ioaray. The star inspired the flash-rock group Jjagged Bbanner's first quad platinum recording `Sungrazing' which led to their enormous rise to popularity.
The enormous hydrocarbon resources made available by the large number of gas giants, as well as the primary star of the system have led to a huge plastics industry based at this system. The scientists of Nesbitt Landing introduced the quinker process and led to a revolution in robot production techniques. They still lead the Federation in many aspects of design and production of automata, especially androids. These products are highly sought after amongst the Empire worlds.
D.M.

2853 Caker Coup vs Imperials. Federation assists. Fed Admiral Kracer becomes colony leader of New California.
0119 - Caker Coup - Alioth In 2853, the science research outpost of Nesbitt Landing was founded. Initially this was to be a joint venture between the Empire and Federation, but when a detailed study into the genetic problems on New California linked the issue with the terraforming of the planet in 2612, the Imperials withdrew from the project.

The matter remained a local issue until, in 2854, responding to pressure from Achenar, Imperial soldiers instigated martial law and attempted to impose a genetic correction programme on the planet. This was prevented by a coup against the military garrison by a new Caker sect. Within days, the planet had been secured and an appreal was sent to the Federation for assistance. A fierce battle ensued; Imperial forces from the orbital refineries began a planetary bombardment, but the arrival of a Federal fleet escalated the conflict. Eventually, the Imperial ships pulled back and Admiral Kracer landed with his marines to cheering crowds in the capital. Kracer retired three years later, settling in New California and later became the colony leader.

2905 Federation takes Ross 128 after assassination of rebellion leader Maurice Grant. Turns Ross 128 into Warren Prison.
Tourist Spot 0191 - Maurice Grant's Death In 2905, the Federation answered a plea to restore order in Ross 128. Maurice Grant, the would-be leader of the colony there, had been assassinated in 2903. A Federal task force took charge of the colony and the rest of the system, then enforced a new colonial charter on its citizens, re-classifying it as a penal and correction facility.

Ross 128 happened 50 years after the early Caker insurrection against the Imperials, and 20 years before the dissappearance of the Imperial Battle group. Alioth was a Federation system at this time.

There are also parallels with how the Federation is called to assist throwing off the Imperials and then they stay and rule. Admiral Kracer did this in Alioth in 2854.

All this happened 200 years before Mic Turner and the Second Caker revolution that became the Alliance.

Also from FFE we have this regarding Ross 128:
GRANT'S CLAIM REACHES OVER-FLOW
M.C.S
The Prison colony on Grant's Claim (Ross 128), otherwise known as 'The Warren', has reached its maximum overflow limit following a sudden rise in the rate of personal assaults in a number of Inner Core systems. The opening of the INRA files has revealed that large numbers of previously trusted personnel were, in fact, in the pay of the INRA Internal Surveillance Units and had been spying on their contemporaries and colleagues for decades. A close reading of the files has revealed that a number of unexplained deaths in the past were the result of INRA-inspired assassinations. Consequently, many of the alleged informants have been the subject of revenge attacks, some of them fatal, by bereaved relatives and friends of those assassinated. The FSS and the Imperial Guard have drafted in extra support on some worlds and are offering round-the -clock police protection to some of the better-known informants. The Courts have been saturated and are handing down custodial sentences with an alacrity that some Existential Rights lawyers find extremely disturbing, particularly now that 'The Warren' is full and there is a suggestion that a re-introduction of capital punishment would help solve the problem. Alternative suggestions include the sale of detainees to the aliens as research specimens or the creation of new prison colonies on some of the radio-active moons previously used as nuclear decontamination units.

And this from the FE2 Gazeteer:

Ross 128
Travellers do not flock to Ross 128 or to its only inhabited planet, Grant's Claim. When Maurice Grant claimed it, it was through an over ambitious desire to build an independent colony that he could rule without question. His early surveys suggested that the planet was mineral rich and promised an exciting future amassing wealth from mining. Unfortunately, he discovered that in every body of people there are always a few who ask questions, and awkward ones at that, then don't settle for a feeble answer. Whilst answering a few of these at his Citizens' Clinic he was assassinated. Grant's analyses proved to be erroneous as minerals were only to be found in small pockets here and there - the mines were soon abandoned. The remaining would-be leaders realised that it was not an easy job to govern a population driven mainly by greed and the resulting economic collapse was devastating. The Federation stepped in and `rescued' the colony on the condition that it came under their control. The populace greeted them with open arms and promptly found that their home was to become a prison colony.

The prison, nicknamed The Warren, is a vast underground complex of cells accommodating miscreants of every kind. The security is very tight and few have seen beyond the visitors' hall without being an inmate. For this reason rumours are rife, and include tales of genetic experiments, prostitution and corruption. It is true that the prisoners experience great hardship due to the manual mining at minus four degrees centigrade. It is no holiday for the warders either and there are reports of some of the narcotics intended for use in prisoner obedience programmes being diverted to the staff. Nobody outside really complains because they are glad that someone else is willing to do the job. Don't forget, if you ever have a loved one serving a sentence, you need a permit to see them.
K.D.

2924 Imperial Battlegroup claims Alioth - dissappears.
0135 - Battlegroup's Disappearance – Alioth In 2924, a further conflict started up in the Alioth system, initiated by a squabble over its hydrocarbon resources. The Durn and Resnar Corporation applied for Imperial assistance to enforce its claim over a large swathe of the system's mining rights. A small force of Imperial cruisers and their support ships arrived in the system and rapidly deployed to enforce these claims. They vastly outnumbered the mustered Federal units, and forced them out of the entire system within a year. But then, withouth warning in 2925, the Imperial battle group disappeared. Federal vessels returned and Hassoni-Kruger appropriated the system's mining rights. Within month all assets of the Durn and Resner Corporation were seized by the Emperor. The reason for the strange events has never been discovered. Federal intelligence sources were later to accuse the Duvals of instigating a cloning programme to breed specialised infantry units.

3184 - 3198 Federation vs Imperial hostilities in Alioth. Fed Pres Loric Trander vs Emperor Hesketh Duval. Caker Insurrection more organised and financed.
0120 - Riley Dain Murder - Alioth In 3184, the election of Federation President Loric Trander saw a renewal of hostilities over Alioth. This time, conflict was instigated by corporate rivalry in the sysstem's vast gas mining sector. After the discovery of a murdered official named Riley Dain who was investigating the abuse of permitted quotas, the situation quickly escalated. Trander authorised a force of privateers. In response Hesketh Duval sent in the Imerial XV fleet. The conflict avoided the settlement of New California owing to the previous treaty, but the settlers there found themselves all but cut off until a further ceasefire was established in 3198. Neither side achieved anything but line the pockets of the industries who fuelled and powered their fleets. It also served to stir further resentment amongst the settlers. At this time, the Caker insurrection became more organised and received substantial financial support from unknown sources.

3187 Edmund Mahon born

3205 Mic Turner Born

MIC TURNER AN OBITUARY
M.C.S
This Obituary was written for us by Turner's close friend and fellow explorer: Deven Cantry.

Mic Turner graduated with honours from the civilian pilot's school on the frontier world of Jones Colony (Essfafa) in the days before the AIS was so much as a twinkle in Argent's eye. Mic's passion, even as an undergraduate, was long distance flight and the novice pilot was one of the few to discover a habitable (and later terra formed) world before passing the full explorer's grade exams. An early association with Meredith Argent grew into a life-long partnership that has changed the political face of the Galaxy. It was Meredith and Turner between them who first proposed the creation of a safe political unit for those who wished to exist outwith the protection of the Federation or the constraints of the Empire and the pair were the main driving force behind the creation of the Alliance of Independent Systems.

Mic's explorations had always been in the Northern Edge zones and the development of a number of newly terra formed planets in the region provided the funding necessary for the creation of a Colonising Navy - with Mic, naturally, at the helm. The disputed system of Alioth was ripe for stable government when the Colonists of the new embryonic state moved in and, despite a certain amount of resistance, the fledgling democracy grew and flourished. Alioth developed a solid economy and became the site for the New Rossyth Shipyard, destined to build the Galaxy's greatest ship: the 'Turner's Quest'. This is the ship that broke all the rules and opened new and greater space routes to the dedicated explorer - it is also the ship in which Mic was flying when the final, fatal accident occurred. Details of Turner's death are inexact and the Escape Capsule has yet to be released from custody for full, independent forensic examination. Those of use who knew Mic well do not believe that an asteroid storm would have been fatal to so experienced a pilot. We may never know the real truth of Commander Mic Turner's death - but we are still asking questions.

Editorial Note: The views expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the Editorial Committee.

3224 Mic Turner leads Federation colonisation of Olgrea
Tourist Beacon 0127 Olgrea History
Mic Turner, the intergalactic Explorer, ship designer and founder of the Alliance, led the Federation expenditionary team tha brought colonists to Olgrea in 3224. \ Terraforming operations began almost immediately as the Federation could see that further population growth in the region would require room to accommodate. \ In 3239, Alliance warships and Turner's command return to the system and after a short altercation with Federal forces won control of Fortress Jung and New Casablanca. After this it was only a matter of time before the rest of the system surrendered and the Federation withdrew. \ By 3250, the Olgrea system had become a massive part of the Alliance infrastructure. The Planet New Gotham became the centre of agricultural production for the entire Alliance sector. The system population had grown to approach 100 million inhabitants, one of the fastest system migrations in interstellar history.

3228 Mic Turner, Meredith Argent and the Caker Cells of New California gas platforms. Revolution!
0121 - Mic Turner History - Alioth Born in 3205, Mic Turner grew uo in Jones Colony in the Essafa system. After graduating with honours from the civilian Pilots school, he moved to New California in Alioth, just before the rebellion started. In 3228, when the Federal corporations supplying New California attempted to raise their prices again, the citizens revolted, taking over the ships berthed in the space station and riding out to the gas mining station to assault the corporate workers. Federal and Imperial forces arrived within days, but fighters from Alioth and several neighbouring independent systems joined forces to repel them. Turner's pilot skills saw him amongst the first to fly out to the orbital platforms and he won a great deal of respect from his peers for his efforts. It was here the met Meredith Argent, a scientist who led one of the Caker cells on the gas platforms and was direct descendant of Walter Argent, a wealthy industrialist from Ayethi in the the 27th century. Argent and Turner were to become partners for life.

Galactic News: The Origin of the Alliance
Galactic News: The Origin of the Alliance
15 JUL 3302

In a return to our popular series on significant episodes from human history, noted historian Sima Kalhana discusses the foundation of the Alliance.

"The Alliance may champion the ideals of harmony and independence, but it is very much the product of violence."

"Alioth, the Alliance powerbase, was once a highly contested system. In the decades that followed its colonisation, it was the site of almost constant conflict between the Federation and the Empire. Naturally this made life difficult for the system's inhabitants, whose lives were impacted by generation after generation of war."

"The turning point came in 3228, when the Federal corporations supplying one of Alioth's main population centres attempted to raise prices. This triggered a revolt. Federal and Imperial forces were despatched to quell the uprising, but the resistance, bolstered by fighters from neighbouring independent systems, successfully repelled them. Ultimately the Empire chose to withdraw from the system, reluctant to commit to a potentially protracted campaign far from its centre of power. When the Federation realised how unpopular the war had become among Federal citizens, it followed suit."

"In the wake of the conflict, the idea of an independent socio-political body rapidly gained popularity among the people of Alioth, and in 3230 the Alliance of Independent Systems was established. Its founding principles were simple: to protect and support those who wanted to remain independent of the Federation and the Empire, and to empower its member systems while simultaneously preserving their independence. Over the next two decades, more than twenty systems joined the Alliance."

"Today, the Alliance is widely seen as a paragon of democracy in an increasingly autocratic galaxy. It is governed by a body known as the Alliance Assembly, the primary function of which is to establish common policies and treaties among the Alliance's member systems, and act as an arbitration body when necessary. The notional head of the Assembly is the prime minister, but in reality it is the Council of Admirals that wields the greatest degree of power."

"The Council of Admirals is a six-person body comprising the leaders of the six largest military forces in the Alliance. In addition to selecting the prime minister, the Council also commands the Alliance Defence Force, a vast flotilla of ships contributed by each of the Alliance's member systems. The Council of Admirals is free to deploy the Defence Force without the approval of the Assembly, making it extremely powerful."

"There can be no argument that the Alliance lacks the power-projection abilities of the Empire and the Federation. But it is more than capable of competing with them in economic and political terms, and of defending its member systems when necessary."

"What the future holds remains to be seen, but under the strong leadership of Prime Minister Edmund Mahon, it seems likely the Alliance will only continue to grow."
Bryce Jander takes part in the Alioth rebellion. (from Lave Revolution by Allen Stroud)

3229 Alioth industrial expansion into Holiacan.

3230 Alliance Founded in Alioth.

0007 - The Alliance - Alioth The Alliance of Independent Systems (usually referred to as just 'Alliance') was founded on Alioth in early 3230. Over the next two decades, more than twenty system went on to join. Some were independent, other revolted from Imperial and Federal control. For nearly a thousand years, colonial settlements could only choose between Imperial tyranny or Federal interference. Alioth and the Alliance provided a third way, more supportive and less conditional on cultural alignment.

3232 Indaol joins the Alliance
0126 - Indaol History - Indaol This minor system in notable only because of its early membership of the Alliance, joining in 3232. This membership granted the colonists significant technological improvement on their existing lot.

3239 Mic Turner leads Alliance fleet to take Olgrea Planet New Gotham.
0127 - Olgrea History - Olgrea Mic Turner, the intergalactic Explorer, ship designer and founder of the Alliance, led the Federation expenditionary team tha brought colonists to Olgrea in 3224. Terraforming operations began almost immediately as the Federation could see that further population growth in the region would require room to accommodate. In 3239, Alliance warships and Turner's command return to the system and after a short altercation with Federal forces won control of Fortress Jung and New Casablanca. After this it was only a matter of time before the rest of the system surrendered and the Federation withdrew. By 3250, the Olgrea system had become a massive part of the Alliance infrastructure. The Planet New Gotham became the centre of agricultural production for the entire Alliance sector. The system population had grown to approach 100 million inhabitants, one of the fastest system migrations in interstellar history.

3244 Holiacan joins the Alliance Lucinda Kills prominent Alliance figure.
0125 - Holiacan History - Holiacan Relatively late to joining the original Alliance group in 3244, Holiacan was not contested by Federation forces as the systems assets were relatively small. The bloodless revolution is a complete contrast to its partner and robotic manufacturing rival Alioth, whose industry in this area had been expanded into the system in 3229. Sine this time, robotics manufacturing and output within the Holiacan has increased. Several other prominent political figures in Alliance politics have emerged from this system, most notably Lucinda Kallis, who wields considerable influence amongst the system group.

3246 Meeting of Rebels in Admiralty Hall, New California, Alioth. Bryce Tanner on security. (Lave Revolution)

3252 August. Mic Turner killed in Pleone by INRA / Federation agent J Saunders
ARGENT SUES INRA
M.C.S
Following the departure of the ship 'Argent's Quest' into Far space in search of the Thargoid stronghold, Meredith Argent is taking the higher echelons of INRA, most specifically Commander J Saunders (Elite), to court for the murder of the explorer Commander Mic Turner. Argent claims to have positive evidence, that the earlier ship, 'Turner's Quest' was identified as an intruder by INRA defence satellites ringing an exclusion zone around the area previously defined as the Thargoid front base. Immediately afterwards, Saunders and others of the INRA counter-intelligence wing (previously demonstrated to be flying in the area) attacked and destroyed Mic Turner's ship and subsequently appropriated the 'Quest's' Stowmaster Escape Capsule, wiping the flight recording equipment prior to returning it to its rightful owner. Council for the defence has been allocated and are vigorously denying all charges. INRA have agreed to be guarantors for the accused and hence Saunders is free to continue with normal duties until required to give evidence.

More on Saunders and how INRA tried to provoke a second war with the Thargoids.
INRA: SAUNDERS' SWAN SONG - 1
M.C.S

The final fate of Commander Saunders, Elite pilot of the INRA Counter Intelligence Wing, has come to light as the last revelation of the investigators working through the past INRA records. In the final phases of the Regional Diplomatic Incident (also known as the second Thargoid War), ambassadors from all parties were engaged in frantic negotiations to avoid the onset of a full-blown Galactic war that would have ripped apart the cultural fabric of the entire human race. Minor engagements occurred at that time between factions loyal to one of three sides and Saunders was responsible for maintaining a constant watch on the progress of negotiations.

There is a belief that members of the INRA High Command, now all dead, wished the War to escalate (in Saunders case, a personal hatred of the alien appears to have been the primary motive) and that they evolved a separate strategy specifically aimed at breaking the truce between the parties.

Our next article will examine the means by which this was very nearly successful.

INRA: SAUNDERS' SWAN SONG - 2
M.C.S

In our recent report on the INRA strategy files, we stated that Commander Saunders and the members of the Counter Intelligence Wing's High Command, intended to break the evolving truce growing between the alien Leaders and the human delegation. As part of this plan, Saunders used a cover identity to earn a position as part of the protection fleet escorting Meredith Argent and Kit Silver in the 'Sappho's Quest'.

During the final approach on the alien diplomatic fleet, Saunders launched a completely suicidal attack on the leading alien mother ship. Had the commander of the 'Sappho's Quest' been slightly slower, the Thargoid fighters would have been forced to defend themselves and their trust in the human race would have been irreparably damaged. In the event, Saunders' ships was destroyed by a salvo of nuclear missiles from the 'Quest' and the aliens were finally convinced of Argent's commitment to peace.

It was the end of a courageous, if misguided life, and we believe that, in the new spirit of co-operation some kind of memorial should be created in commemoration of the Commander's tenacity of spirit.

3252 5th October. Turner's Requiem New Rossyth Shipyards Alioth
The account set up by Meredith Argent at the time of Turner's Requiem has attracted funds from across the full spectrum of political affiliation and personal wealth. In addition, the Thargoids have recently made a significant contribution in acknowledgement of Turner's role in the release of their People from the isolation enforced by the INRA mycoid. It is now a recognised fact that it was almost entirely thanks to Turner's skill as a ship designer and personal bravery as a pilot that made the discovery of the Thargoid Home Worlds possible. Turner's Last Will and Testament contained a clause requesting that any memorial should be of a practical and educational nature rather than simply a standing monument. The influx of credit has been such that Meredith Argent and the other executors of the Will have decided to open an Academic Institute based at Fortress Culloden, Turner's home town. It will be known as the Turner Institute for Inter - Species Investigation and it will aim to be the foremost Institution dealing with human/Thargoid affairs from culture and history to biology and current politics. The design of the building has been put out to tender and Architects from across the Universe are invited to submit designs within the next two months.

The following content comes from the FFE End Missions.
It is known to have been retconned out of the Elite: Dangerous timeline. However it establishes dates and locations for characters that do exist in the current timeline, including:
Pleione - noted as Mic Turner's last known exploration One of the Seven Sisters stars in the Pleiades.
Polaris - location of Thargoid shuttle. Permit locked in Elite Dangerous.
Miacke - Thargoid homeworld. Does not exist in Elite Dangerous.
Hotice - INRA vaccine store. Does not exist in Elite Dangerous.
Humanity's Destiny - Argent's Quest #1
When: 5th October 3252
News: Universal Scientist during August
Where: New Rossyth, Alioth (0,4)
BBS Message: TURNER'S REQUIEM
Reward: Twice your current credits and the ship Argent's Quest.
Following the death of Mic Turner, Universal Scientist will report that a Requiem for Mic Turner will be held in Alioth (0,4) on the 5th of October 3252.
Donate 10,000 credits to the fund. You will be thanked and offered the chance to find out what happened to Mic Turner. Accept the mission, and you will be given command of the super-ship Argent's Quest.
You are told to set off to Pleione (32,32) which was the last system Mic Turner explored, and to photograph the remains of his ship and recover his flight recorder. Pleione is protected by a military defence satellite, which had reported Mic Turner's position to INRA. Therefore, you will require a transmission jammer and nuclear missile.
On arrival in Pleione, you should use your current system map to find Pleione 4b, around which the various bits for this mission are orbiting. The first thing you should do is target the Military Defence satellite (MDS), which has a standard registration number, and is also very large. Fire the nuclear missile.
Travel towards Turner's Quest. When within 10 km of Turner's Quest, take a number of photographs from different angles, and then pick up the Flight Recorder.
Next stop, the Thargoid. The Thargoid is labelled ????, and you should proceed in the same manner as with Turner's Quest.
Return to Alioth. You should receive a message congratulating you on your maiden voyage, and a request to dock at New Rossyth. If you've brought back the Flight Recorder, you will be congratulated, and offered:

Argent's Quest #2
When: December 3252, after you return from either Pleione
Where: New Rossyth, Alioth (0,4)
Your employers will tell you that Turner found a Thargoid Shuttle in the system of Polaris (0,76). They want you to go and investigate it. Upon your arrival in Polaris, you will get the usual message about trespassing on military territory. This time, however, the satellite is orbiting a different planet to the shuttle, namely Polaris 3d. Once you have destroyed the satellite, select ???? from your navigation computer, and dock with the Thargoid Shuttle. You will notice that there are suddenly a lot of radar blips around you. A look at your system map reveals that you are now a long way from Polaris. Centring your map reveals that you are now in the unexplored system of Miacke (32,144). Request launch permission, and you will see that the ships around you are Thargoids! Seasoned commanders who remember the Thargoids from the various incarnations of Elite 1 will now be attempting to ignore the impulse to blow the aliens away. Don't shoot, but increase time acceleration until you receive a message from the Thargoid commander to dock with their main ship. Select the top ???? on your navigation computer, and engage autopilot.
Once you have docked, you are greeted by the Thargoids. They tell you about their mycoid problem and ask you to help them by stealing the vaccine from an INRA store in Hotice (-3,-2).

Thargoids' Mycoid Mission
When: After your landing at the Thargoids' main space station
Where: Thargoid Space Station, Miacke (37,144)
Reward: A Thargoid ship of your own and loads of Alien Artefacts
You are told about the INRA mycoid vaccine store in Hotice (-3,-2), and are given an MB4 to pick up the vaccine. Go to Hotice 1. Get within laser range of the dome, and blow it up with your plasma accelerator (there will be a bang and flames will come out of the building). Land next to the facility and deploy your MB4. It will collect some of the vaccine (check your cargo list), and you should recall the machine, and set off for Miacke. Upon landing back at the Thargoid space station you will be thanked by the Thargoids. Wait a little, and you will be offered a Thargoid warship as a reward. The Thargoids tell you to go into time acceleration while they build your ship. When it is finished, they will thank you again. Launch, and set off for Alioth (0,4) to get your reward from your employers. When you arrive in Alioth, you will have to manually fly your ship to Gotham Park, which orbits Argent's Claim, because the Thargoids didn't give you a navigation computer or autopilot. The Thargoids have given you some 65,000 tons of Alien Items. Once you have equipped your Thargoid to your tastes, leave Gotham Park, and land at New Rossyth. You will be thanked by the Alliance, and allowed to keep your ship.

3265 Revolution in Lave. Lave joins the Alliance.

3301 March. The Code proclaim the "New Caribbean" in the Old Worlds cluster.
In Leesti, the Code overthrow Inedependent Leesti For Equality and install Reynhardt Intellisys.
In Reorte they install a puppet regime.

3301 March 78 Ursae Majoris Claimed for the Alliance.
A coallition of Alliance CMDRs and the Alliance Elite Diplomatic Corps (AEDC) flipped the system to the Alioth Independents away from the Federation backed 78 Ursae Majoris for Equality.
While there were some calls to oppose the Alliance https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...eping-78-Ursae-Majoris-as-a-Federation-System the value of having the Alioth permit available here was generally acknowledged and the work went quickly

3301 April. Reorte Reclaimed
0122 - Reorte Reclaimed - Reorte After three weeks of fighting in the Lave Cluster, the Alliance Elite Diplomatic Corps (AEDC) managed to reclaim Reorte from a pirate insurgency. Early in April 3301, a local pirate group had tried to rename the cluster "New Caribbean", but undercover AEDC agents worked with local groups to retake control of Davies High.

3301 June. PowerPlay Cycle 1. Prime Minister Edmund Mahon of the Alliance of Independent Systems steps onto the stage.

3301 21st June. Prime Minister Mahon Announces Open Trade Agreement in Old World Cluster.
During a press conference in Alioth earlier today, Prime Minister Edmund Mahon expressed his gratitude towards the independent pilots who supported his initiative to strengthen the Alliance's economic presence in the Old Worlds cluster. Mahon declared his intentions to keep the cluster open for traders of all affiliations and has announced an open trade agreement that will grant any trader safe passage.
To ensure the safety of trader ships in the sector, Prime Minister Mahon has commissioned the Aliiance Defence Force to establish a permanent presence in the sector, to counter growing threats to civillian traqders from piracy and crime. The deployment of this new Alliance strike force is expected to take place within the next few weeks.
- via GalNet

3301 25th June. Leesti becomes a Control system for Edmund Mahon. Cycle 3 of PowerPlay.

3301 25th July
Helena Stone of LHS 2541 Alliance Combine announces operation Augeas.
Victoria Wolf VI and Commodore Stone launch Operation Augeas
23 JUL 3301

Victoria Wolf VI and Commodore Stone launch Operation Augeas

In a joint press conference, Victoria Wolf VI, First Merchantress of Wolf 406 Transport Co, and Commodore Helena Stone of the Alliance Defence Force have announced the launch of Operation Augeas. This is a campaign to rid BD-22 3573 of criminal elements troubling local miners and traders. The Federation has acted swiftly after receiving the results of the investigations led by Commodore Stone. The local absolutistic factions, however, need to be dealt with more bluntly.

Wolf and Stone, who besides their main responsibilities also have seats on the board of the Alliance Elite Diplomatic Corps, explained that they have secured the funds to pay out a bonus for all bounties cashed in Planck Orbital.

Stone was eager to point out that this is not a military operation. The ADF will observe the situation and only intervene in case of escalation as “the system does not fall under the jurisdiction of the Alliance”.

3301 20th August. Wolf 412 CMDR GNThrone of the Aisling Duval PowerPlay leadership, pledges to Edmund Mahon and begins prepping negative Command Capital system Wolf 412. This 5th Column activity tips Mahon into PowerPlay turmoil.

3302 April. CG: Alliance to establish new outpost.
This CG reached Tier 4 and created the Alliance Listening Post at HIP 19072 with Cooper Research Group in charge. Cooper Research have since expanded into
Pleiades Sector IH-V c2-5 ; HR 1185 ; Plieone ; Maia
Harlyn Tavistok, a senior member of the Alliance Assembly, has announced plans to establish a new outpost on the fringes of inhabited space. According to Tavistok, the new station will provide the Allaince with "a vitally important new resource, significantly bolstering our reconnaissance and intelligence-gathering capabilities". An Alliiance spokesperson provided further details:
"Monitoring activity within human-inhabited space is of central importance to our continued security, but this particular sector currently contains a limited number of operational outposts. Our new station will address this issue."
"To support this campaign, we have placed open orders via our partners at HIP55118 Gnereal Corporation for Robotics, Semiconductors and Auto Fabricators. Pikots who deliver these essential commodities to our base of operations at Noli Dock will be genrously compensated."

3302 6th September. Free Leesti
0649 – Leesti is Free Commander Schlack reports that on 6th September 3302, AEDC returned this system to the Control of Independent Leesti for Equality from a year long domination of the system by the ruthless Justice Party dictatorship. Their nefarious acts funded by the sales of Leestian Evil Juice were put to an end.

3302 13th October. Turner Research Group commences project in California Nebula
0675 – Alliance Outpost in the California Nebula On October 13th 3302 the Alliance announced plans to construct a new outpost on California Sector BA-A E6 4. According to an Alliance spokesperson, the station will serve as “a centre for scientific study, supporting our ongoing research into the organic structures and meta-alloys”.
0636 – Mic Turner Bark Mounds This bark mound population is popular with scientists and sightseers alike. Its close proximity to an Alliance base has caused much speculation.

3303 Mahon Research Base founded in California Nebula.
3033 Redmarch Research Facility and Darwin Research Facility founded in California Nebula
3303 CG to Build Ford Research Laboratory in California Nebula.

3303 17th Decamber Lakon announces Type 10 Defender.
Galactic News: Lakon Announces New Ship
17 DEC 3303

The Alliance has commissioned Lakon Spaceways to produce a new ship in response to the recent Thargoid attacks in the Pleiades. The vessel, which has been named the Type-10 Defender, represents a comprehensive revision of the Type–9 Heavy.

Lakon issued the following statement:

“The Type-10 boasts greater speed, acceleration and manoeuvrability than the Type-9, and also offers a more focused hardpoint loadout. We envisage it being particularly effective in combat situations.”

The development is significant in that it represents the first overtly military response from the Alliance to the rising Thargoid threat.

Lakon has committed to an aggressive production schedule that should see the Type-10 reaching retailers next week.
3304 August 25
Alliance Crusader released by Lakon.
Lakon Releases Alliance Crusader
25 AUG 3304

Lakon Spaceways has announced that a new ship, the Alliance Crusader, will soon be available for purchase.

Meera Callanach, head of military projects at Lakon, gave some details to the media:

“The Alliance Crusader is mechanically similar to the Alliance Chieftain, with one key distinction. Our engineers have removed some internal hardware to accommodate a fighter bay. Inevitably, this means the Crusader is marginally slower and less manoeuvrable than its siblings, but this is compensated by its ability to ferry fighters into a conflict zone.”

“The Crusader’s offensive capabilities are enhanced with three internal military compartments. We are confident that the ship will be able to hold its own in any combat situation, especially against the Thargoids.”

The Alliance Crusader will go on general sale on Tuesday the 28th of August.

3304 August 30
Chancellor Reegan Tanner of LHS 2541 Alliance Combine announces campaign to harvest Thargoid organs for Far God worshipers.
Far God Campaign
30 AUG 3304

The Thargoid-worshipping sect that reveres an entity known as the ‘Far God’ has issued a request for Thargoid materials.

Chancellor Reegan Tanner, speaking on behalf of LHS 2541 Alliance Combine, which is supporting the campaign, released the following statement:

“To maintain their privacy and avoid further persecution, members of the Far God sect have approached us to facilitate the collection of Thargoid materials. They have made it explicit that these materials will be revered as objects of worship, and will not be used as part of any xenobiological experiments. In the interests of religious freedom, we have decided to fulfil their request.”

In support of this campaign, LHS 2541 Alliance Combine has placed an open order for various Thargoid materials, and has promised to reward pilots who deliver these goods to Wheelock Ring in the Zavijah system. The organisation has also placed a kill order on all ships on its wanted list, to ensure that those delivering commodities to Wheelock Ring can do so safely.

The campaign begins on the 30th of August 3304 and will run for one week. If the final target is met earlier than planned, the campaign will end immediately.

3304 August 31 Alliance President Gibson Kincaid announces plans to change Alliance Constitution:
Alliance President Proposes Changes

31 AUG 3304

Alliance President Gibson Kincaid has confirmed he will campaign for re-election in October.

Addressing the media, President Kincaid also said he wanted to make significant changes to the Alliance constitution:

“The role of Alliance president is largely ceremonial. I believe that should change. I have been lobbying to invest the position with executive powers, over and above the prime minister and the Assembly. By streamlining our bureaucracy, we can make decisions as efficiently as the other superpowers.”

“I also believe that each presidential incumbent should remain in office for six years, instead of a maximum of two one-year terms. That will allow time to renegotiate diplomatic relationships and correct past mistakes.”

Gibson Kincaid was the governor of the Zaonce system before assuming the presidency in 3303. He has repeatedly claimed that the Alliance is failing to fulfil its true potential.

Prime Minister Edmund Mahon responded:

“Our constitution has served us well for decades and I see no reason to amend it. Its system of checks and balances exists to prevent any individual from becoming too powerful and destabilising the Alliance.”

The other presidential candidates will be announced within the next two weeks.

Primary Sources:
FE2: http://www.frontierastro.co.uk/Gazetteer/intro.html
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteAlliance/comments/2q47gm Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteAlliance/comments/2q47gm/so_what_do_you_know_about_alioth_spoilerspics/

Zac Antoniaci and Michael Brookes on Elite Dangerous Governments: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/225156-Governments-and-politics-in-Elite-Dangerous
Lave Revolution by Allen Stroud https://www.frontierstore.net/books/elite-dangerous-lave-revolution-ebook.html
The Dark Wheel: http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/dkwheel.htm
New Source The FE2 Gazeteer: http://lotf.co.uk/fe2_gazetteer.html
In Game Tourist Beacons: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eu30UyjpQrWexAglwD1Ax_GaDz4d7l8KD76kSzX4DEk/edit?usp=sharing
FFE Journals: http://www.dream-ware.co.uk/first-encounters/journals/all/
Elite Dangerous: Wanted by Gavis Deas:https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22026598-elite

Executive Summary:
The Alliance is an outgrowth of the Federation and Imperial governance of Alioth was always temporary.
The Federation were first to colonise Alioth and it was called "Fruitcake" because of the mineral deposits.
The rebels of Alioth have always called themselves "Cakers"

The Caker rebellions came in three waves.
The Early Caker Insurrections of the 23rd Century against Imperial governance.

A middle period of Caker unrest with Quenten Devineses leading a revolution in the 27th Century. A time when Walter Argent was born (Meredith's ancestor). And a further insurrection in the 2800's. The Cakers sought Federation assistance to throw off the Imperial force. After the war Fed Navy Admiral Kracer remained in New California (Alioth) as govenor. It is unclear whether he did so in the name of the Federation, or as a Caker.

The late Caker rebellion and the foundation of the Alliance.
Mic Turner held significant rank in the Federation Navy and lead a Federation fleet in the colonisation of Olgrea in 3224.
In 3228 Mic Turner moved to New California, met Meredith Argent (who was connected to Caker Cells on the gas platrforms) and founded the Alliance.
The next twenty years saw Mic Turner lead a successful campaign, bringing many systems into the Alliance like Indaol, Olgrea, and Holiacan. Until his death in 3252.

After this the lore is unclear. It ties into stories from FFE and we know that a lot of that has been retconned out.
But I think a few things can be reliably brought forward from FFE:
1) Mic Turner was killed in August 3252 in Pleione (by INRA). This was the last system he explored. His flight recorder also hinted at Polaris - now permit locked.
2) A requiem was held for him on 5th October 3252 - This should be a calendar day for Alliance CMDRs.
The rest of the Thargoid linked story can be disregarded - but it is in the thread above if you're interested.

Since then we can rely on GalNet and current resources for information:
3300 14th December - Founding of the Alliance Elite Diplomatic Corps.
3301 June - Prime Minister Edmund Mahon steps onto the galactic stage. Formation of what will become the Alliance Office of Statistics.
3302 April - Alliance establishes listening post on route to Pleiades sector. Cooper Research in charge.
3302 October - Alliance commences multi system expansion project into the California Nebula. Mic Turner Base founded, dictatorship Turner Research Group in charge.
3303 Feb - Mahon Research Base founded in California Nebula. Jasmina Halsey publicly visible as trusted advisor of Edmund Mahon. https://inara.cz/cmdr-logbook/3414/17371/
3303 May - Redmarch Reseach Facility and asteroid base Darwin Research Facility founded.
3303 May - Ford Research Laboratory founded.
3303 June - Darwin flipped to Turner Research Group by Alliance CMDRs.

September 3302:

[video=youtube;TUgiHUa9EWg]
]Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUgiHUa9EWg[/video]

July 3303:
[video=youtube_share;7ikxvy3EinM]
]Source: https://youtu.be/7ikxvy3EinM[/video]

Ross 128 old Lore from FE2 http://www.frontierastro.co.uk/Gazetteer/ross128.html
Ross 128
Travellers do not flock to Ross 128 or to its only inhabited planet, Grant's Claim. When Maurice Grant claimed it, it was through an over ambitious desire to build an independent colony that he could rule without question. His early surveys suggested that the planet was mineral rich and promised an exciting future amassing wealth from mining. Unfortunately, he discovered that in every body of people there are always a few who ask questions, and awkward ones at that, then don't settle for a feeble answer. Whilst answering a few of these at his Citizens' Clinic he was assassinated. Grant's analyses proved to be erroneous as minerals were only to be found in small pockets here and there - the mines were soon abandoned. The remaining would-be leaders realised that it was not an easy job to govern a population driven mainly by greed and the resulting economic collapse was devastating. The Federation stepped in and `rescued' the colony on the condition that it came under their control. The populace greeted them with open arms and promptly found that their home was to become a prison colony.
The prison, nicknamed The Warren, is a vast underground complex of cells accommodating miscreants of every kind. The security is very tight and few have seen beyond the visitors' hall without being an inmate. For this reason rumours are rife, and include tales of genetic experiments, prostitution and corruption. It is true that the prisoners experience great hardship due to the manual mining at minus four degrees centigrade. It is no holiday for the warders either and there are reports of some of the narcotics intended for use in prisoner obedience programmes being diverted to the staff. Nobody outside really complains because they are glad that someone else is willing to do the job. Don't forget, if you ever have a loved one serving a sentence, you need a permit to see them.
K.D.

The War for Ross 128 is finally over:
Mangal Oemie;6066138 said:
Joint Statement by AEDC and EDF on the Armistice in the Ross 128 area

When AEDC announced the capture of the notorious Federation permit system and prison of Ross 128 for the Alliance, the hope was that the community would respond and pick up the opportunity for emergent game play, and a battle between BGS player groups. EDF - true to their mission - stepped up and defended the honor of the Federation. The conflict soon escalated to emcompass the Alliance factions LHS 2541 Alliance Combine (who had captured Ross 128) as well as Wolf 406 Transport & Co, AEDC's main faction, as well as the Earth Defense Fleet. It even spilled over into the Lave conflict of mid August between Lave Radio Network and an Alliance coalition.

After nearly three months of battle, though, where both sides fought bravely in both PvE and PvP, the constant cost of the conflict led to peace talks. An armistice was agreed, leaving the status quo in place, and allow both sides to recover losses. The ceasefire is in effect, and the conflict is at an end. For the Alliance, AEDC will stop further incursions south, whereas for the Federation, EDF will accept that Ross 128 and the safe corridor north remain in Alliance hands.

This was a nearly three month conflict that taught us both a lot, and provided an amazing amount of gameplay to all involved. This was for both us of the biggest conflict we both had been involved with as groups. For those involved it provided drama, exciting PvP encounters, learning new BGS techniques, and pushing ourselves to the limits. We will all remember this as an epic episode in our group history.

By pushing the BGS to the extreme, we hope we can engage with Frontier Developments on the experience, and what happens to gameplay when you're truly up against the wall and doing what you can to keep going. As 3.0 looms, there may be a possibility to adjust how some of the BGS mechanics work. This is not a new discussion, but this conflict provided perhaps an extreme example of what BGS work turns to when fighting for your life. Similarly, we would have loved an official platform to share progress on this conflict, as it would surely have been of interest to the wider community.

Thanks to all AEDC and EDF CMDRs, as well as their involved allies, for three months of epic emergent gameplay.

Secrets of the Alliance Research Bases in the California Nebula.

[video=vimeo;200777844]
]Source: https://vimeo.com/200777844[/video]

[video=youtube_share;k5apyiQoRXI]
]Source: https://youtu.be/k5apyiQoRXI[/video]

[video=youtube_share;5bcVJV30KOw]
]Source: https://youtu.be/5bcVJV30KOw[/video]

[video=youtube_share;3UbFxQO73O8]
]Source: https://youtu.be/3UbFxQO73O8[/video]

3303 July - Federation Maximum Security Prison "The Warren" - ROSS 128 flipped to Alliance.
3303 July - October. Three months of war between forces of the Earth Defense Fleet and AEDC result in a truce, with EDF conceding the "Green Corridor" from Alioth to Ross 128 in return for no further southern expansion.

[Security: Declassified]

During the year long project by the Alliance Elite Diplomatic Corps to push South towards Sol (which culminated in the taking of Federation Maximum Security Prison System Ross128),
There were a number of milestone systems. Apura was one of significance, but also Wolf 433 shown here is the war for Wolf 433 which faced some stiff Federation opposition at the time.
[video=youtube;TL2Lkq8w14s]
]Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL2Lkq8w14s[/video]

Lakon and AAAI

My take on it is this:

There is currently NO mention of AAAI (Argent Aerodynamics Amalgamated INC) at any of the Tourist beacons in Alioth.

In the Old Lore, (from the FFE journals) Meredith Argent was the head of AAAI and the largest shipyards in the bubble were at New Rossyth in Alioth system.
In both old and new lore, Mic Turner was a ranking Federation Naval Officer until he hooked up with Meredith Argent and joined the third wave* Caker cells of Alioth.

In the new lore (tourist beacons and GalNet) Meredith is not named as the head of AAAI, but instead she is named as the descendant of Walter Argent a wealthy industrialist who moved to Alioth durning the second wave of Caker uprisings and was (I presume) a Caker sympathiser. The beacons that mention Meredith as having extraordinary wealth also mention that the third wave Caker uprising that lead to the founding of the Alliance were much better funded and organised during the time that Meredith argent was involved in the Caker Cells.

Edmund Mahon is about ten years older than Mic Turner and would have known Mic and Meredith during the third wave Caker uprising. They were contemporaries during the rebellion.

So what I think has happened is this:

Walter Argent founded the corporate infrastructure that became AAAI.
Meredith Argent inherited AAAI before current lore and sold of her stake to Lakon, in order to finance the extraordinary campaign that lead to the Alliance becoming a third superpower. Lakon still have a very close relationship with the Alliance, even so far as having the AEDC host a CG to bring the DBX into the game with a discount station.

The heavy costs of bankrolling the Alliance meant that many of the new Lakon ships were designed 'under-buffed' and it is only now that the Alliance has grown in wealth and power, that Lakon have the resources to devote to the redesign of internal systems.

* - the term "third wave" with regards to the foundation of the Alliance is something I use after I did a timeline of the early history of the Alliance.
'Third Wave' acknowledges the three distinct periods of Caker uprisings in Alioth.

The League of Reparation, Riri McAllister and the Alliance Council of Admirals

Covert Organisation Discovered
05 MAY 3304
The Imperial Internal Security Service has discovered that the murderer of Senator Nestor Cartesius was acting on behalf of a secret organisation.

Captain Niamh Seutonia, leading the IISS investigation into Cartesius’s death, made this statement:

“We had determined Senator Cartesius was killed by a nerve toxin, and that whoever administered it was trained in circumventing security. Our leads pointed to an ex-member of the Imperial Guard now operating as a freelance assassin. We tracked her to her hideout, where she resisted arrest. Unfortunately, in the subsequent exchange of gunfire, we had no choice but to eliminate the assassin.”

“Examination of the killer’s communication equipment confirmed that she was hired to kill Cartesius and deliver the ‘For Jameson’ message. Her employers identified themselves as the League of Reparation. It seems that the motive was indeed revenge – the League’s avowed goal is to secure ‘justice for the victims of the INRA’s crimes’.”

“We are now widening our investigation and establishing a taskforce. The IISS will uncover this organisation and eradicate it before it can commit further atrocities.”

When asked if anyone connected to the INRA might be at risk, Captain Seutonia replied:

“That is a distinct possibility. If the League of Reparation is targeting the descendants of those involved in the INRA’s activities, there are potentially thousands who may be targeted, and not just in the Empire. To that end I have already made contact with my counterparts in the Federation and the Alliance, and invited them to work with our taskforce.”

Week In Review
13 MAY 3304
Meanwhile, a multi-agency taskforce investigating the League of Reparation, the organisation responsible for the murder of Senator Nestor Cartesius, has made significant progress. Captain Niamh Seutonia of the IISS confirmed that the League is better organised and more widely spread than first suspected, and that all evidence points to an extremely committed group.

Alliance Admiral Murdered by League of Reparation
17 MAY 3304

A member of the Council of Admirals, which commands the Alliance Defence Force, has been murdered. The League of Reparation has claimed responsibility.

Fleet Admiral Tulimaq Buchanan was travelling to a naval ceremony at Lave Station when his private vessel was attacked and destroyed. The admiral’s personal staff and the ship’s crew were also killed.

Moments later, the following message was transmitted to news feeds across the galaxy:

“We do not forget the crimes of the INRA. We do not forgive those who carry their guilt. For Jameson.”

Chief Inspector Kay Kilbride, a founding member of the tri-superpower taskforce investigating the League, delivered the following statement:

“We are treating this attack as an act of terrorism from the League of Reparation. Fleet Admiral Buchanan’s family history verifies that one of his forebears was a senior commander in the INRA prior to settling down on Lave over a century ago.”

“We are working to identify the attackers, who somehow managed to avoid local security forces. There’s evidence to suggest that the League’s assassins are being aided by sympathetic individuals in positions of influence. Our investigation continues.”

The Alliance Assembly released a joint statement:

“This is a sickening and cowardly act of aggression that has cost us dearly. Such a brutal assault on our people and values cannot go unpunished.”

Commodore Riri McAllister spoke on behalf of the Alliance Defence Force:

“A replacement member for the Council of Admirals will soon be appointed. In the meantime, we are doing all we can to support the taskforce in tracking down these criminals.”

Commodore McAllister Appointed to Council of Admirals
25 MAY 3304

Commodore Riri McAllister of the Alliance Defence Force has been appointed to the Council of Admirals and promoted to the position of Rear Admiral.

The Council of Admirals is responsible for military strategy for the entire Alliance, and each of its six members commands a contributing navy. A vacancy was created when Fleet Admiral Tulimaq Buchanan was assassinated by the League of Reparation.

McAllister, who hails from the Lave system and who is now in charge of its navy, is the youngest person ever to be appointed to the Council. She is also the most junior in rank, having bypassed several other candidates from the ADF admiralty, which has caused some controversy.

Admiral George Varma defended the appointment:

“Despite her relative youth, McAllister is one of our most decorated combat veterans and a master strategist. This makes her an excellent choice to help defend the Alliance.”

The newly promoted Rear Admiral McAllister made a characteristically brief statement:

“I’m grateful to the Council for this honour. As well as my naval duties, I will be aiding efforts against the terrorist group responsible for my predecessor’s death.”

Week in review. https://community.elitedangerous.com/en/galnet/27-MAY-3304
27 May 3304
Terrorist group the League of Reparation has committed three further murders in Federation space.

The victims include two members of the Pilots Federation. In both cases, the Commanders’ ships were laser-branded with the words ‘FOR JAMESON’.

Commodore Riri McAllister of the Alliance Defence Force has been appointed to the Council of Admirals, filling the vacancy left by the late Tulimaq Buchanan, who was killed by the League of Reparation. McAllister has pledged to support efforts against the terrorist group responsible for her predecessor’s death.

Ships Destroyed by the League of Reparation

02 JUN 3304
The Pilots Federation has reported that five independent ships have been attacked by terrorist organisation the League of Reparation, with the loss of all crewmembers.

No details have been released regarding specific names or locations, except that three of the ships were attacked in Alliance-controlled systems, one in a Federal system and one in Imperial space.

The Pilots Federation also confirmed that the message ‘FOR JAMESON’ had been etched by laser beam into drifting hull fragments from all five ships.

Captain Niamh Seutonia, a member of the tri-power taskforce investigating the League, released this statement:

“We are treating these incidents as terrorist actions by the League of Reparation, targeted against people with ancestral connections to the INRA. Analysts have been despatched to all five locations.”

“Meanwhile, we have determined that League agents receive their orders via multi-relayed, encrypted comms channels from a source using the codename ‘Nexus’. This suggests a central point of coordination, rather than autonomous cells. Whether Nexus is an individual, a group, or a faction is not yet known.”

“We are aware that citizens throughout the Alliance, Empire and Federation are alarmed by these horrific attacks. We assure you that the taskforce is working hard to discover more about this group and eliminate it. In the meantime, we ask everyone to remain vigilant and to report any relevant information to local authorities.”

INRA Descendant Murdered

08 JUN 3304
A descendant of Amaro Hem, one of the INRA’s senior members, has been murdered by terrorist group the League of Reparation. His body was found in the wreckage of a crashed ship.

Senior Agent Tanya Ramirez, part of the tri-superpower taskforce investigating the League, provided a full explanation at a press conference:

“We have identified the deceased as Luca Hem, an unemployed construction worker living at Houtman City in the Aeternitas system. He was reported missing by his family two weeks ago. We can confirm that he was the great-grandson of Amaro Hem, who was a programme coordinator with the INRA.”

“Luca Hem’s body was found strapped into an ancient Cobra Mk III, the same model flown by Commander Jameson. Forensics indicate he was still alive when the ship struck an asteroid in the Aeternitas A Belt. The Cobra’s derelict condition suggests it wasn’t travelling under its own power, and was most likely salvaged from a scrapyard specifically for this purpose.”

“According to logs discovered at the Taylor Keep INRA facility, Amaro Hem was responsible for ensuring that Jameson did not return from his mission against the Thargoids. This staged murder, recreating the circumstances of Jameson’s death, is obviously intended as an act of poetic justice by the League of Reparation.”

“Luca Hem’s wife and children have been taken to secure locations for their own protection, as have nine individuals from other families related to Amaro Hem.”

Agent Ramirez concluded:

“It’s clear that the League is using theatrical tactics to ensure its message reaches the media. Our taskforce is working hard to discover more about this organisation, and to bring these terrorists to justice.”

Theft Baffles Security Experts

09 JUN 3304
A valuable work of art has been stolen by a mysterious and highly skilled criminal.

The theft took place in the Garden City Gallery on Turner’s World in the Alioth system. Sergeant Femi Abram of the municipal police discussed the incident:

“Our security specialists are currently at a loss to explain how this occurred. The piece in question was inside a titanium vault surrounded by plasma grids, proximity alarms and thermal sensors. This morning we found the vault door open and all security systems disabled. On the wall was a spray-painted graphic of what looked like a winking cat.”

The piece in question is a digital painting titled Youscape. This unusual cyber-artwork includes micro cameras linked to an AI node that monitor the viewer’s reactions. Over time, the image alters in response to the owner’s tastes.

The artwork was scheduled to be auctioned the following day. The artist, Barclay Uxor, told the media:

“Some lowlife scum has robbed the artistic community of a ground-breaking achievement – and cost me millions of credits, too. To leave common graffiti in its place is the ultimate insult!”

Garden City security forces are continuing to investigate, but as yet have no leads.

Week in Review
10 JUN 3304

A descendant of Amaro Hem, one of the INRA’s senior members, has been murdered by terrorist group the League of Reparation. The murder recreated the circumstances of Commander John Jameson’s death, and has been interpreted as an act of poetic justice by the League of Reparation. Senior Agent Tanya Ramirez said that the League was using theatrical tactics to ensure its message reached the media.

Finally, a valuable work of art has been stolen by a mysterious and highly skilled criminal. A spray-painted graphic of what looked like a winking cat was discovered at the scene of the crime, which took place in the Garden City Gallery on Turner’s World in the Alioth system. Garden City security forces are investigating, but as yet have no leads.

League of Reparation Implicated in Historic Deaths

15 JUN 3304
A recent report suggests that terrorist organisation the League of Reparation may be responsible for many more deaths than previously suspected.

Independent journalist Flint ‘Firemaker’ Lafosse shared his theories on the Rewired newsfeed:

“We know these League guys are wiping out people whose grandfolks used to work for the INRA, and it seems like things started when they poisoned that Imperial senator. But what if that wasn’t their first murder, merely the first time they claimed responsibility? What if they’ve been active for years and nobody noticed?”

“I’ve been digging through old records of unsolved homicides. There’s a dozen in the Federation alone where the cause of death was some kind of ‘nerve agent’ – just like with the senator and a few others. Not all the victims were identified, but I found four who definitely had the INRA in their past. These people didn’t die recently but between one and five years ago. Coincidence?”

“The League also likes to blast its targets out of the sky. Think of all those unexplained shipwrecks found drifting in space over the years. How many were because one of the crew had some long-forgotten INRA connection? Dozens…hundreds? How long has the League been hiding among us, silently taking out ordinary people? And who’s next?”

Chief Inspector Kay Kilbride of Alliance Interpol responded on behalf of the united taskforce investigating the League:

“We cannot verify that these cold cases have any link with the League of Reparation. We’d also like to caution against this kind of baseless conjecture, which only serves to spread confusion. We are still pursuing more concrete leads, and hope to make a breakthrough very soon.”

Lori Jameson Denounces Terrorist Organisation

16 JUN 3304
The engineer Lori Jameson has made a public statement regarding the League of Reparation. The terrorist group claims to be seeking justice for the betrayal of her ancestor, the legendary pilot Commander John Jameson.

Her message was recorded at Jameson Memorial and broadcast by several media networks:

“There’s been a lot of speculation about what connection I might have with the so-called League of Reparation, which has murdered a number of people in recent weeks. The answer is none whatsoever. Like all of you, I am sickened by this bizarre form of genealogical terrorism.”

“I’m not prepared to discuss my family in a public forum, but I want everyone to know that I am personally appalled by this, and am doing everything I can to help the authorities.”

“I’m sure that Nexus – whoever or whatever it might be – is listening to this message. So to them I say: stop. These acts of revenge for my great-grandfather are misguided, unnecessary and evil. If you really want to honour his name, you’ll allow us to live in peace without fear.”

Senior Agent Tanya Ramirez, a member of the tri-power taskforce dedicated to stopping the League, added:

“I can confirm that Lori Jameson is cooperating with our investigation. We are completely satisfied that she, her family and her associates are entirely unconnected to the League of Reparation. We hope that her message convinces Nexus to see sense and stop this pointless violence.”

League of Reparation Agents Apprehended

21 JUN 3304
A homicide attempt by terrorist organisation the League of Reparation has been foiled, and the would-be killers taken into custody.

The arrests were made by Chief Inspector Kay Kilbride of Alliance Interpol, who is part of the united taskforce investigating the League. She released this statement:

“I am pleased to confirm that the latest assassination attempt by the League of Reparation has been prevented, and that we have apprehended several of the group’s members.”

“The operation involved revealing the location of one Dinah Law, a descendant of INRA employee Trystan Law. We anticipated that the League would follow its modus operandi and attempt to eliminate Ms Law, so with her cooperation we placed taskforce agents at her home. Fortunately, there were able to overpower the terrorists.”

“The captives have been transported to a secure Interpol facility for interrogation. Our primary aim is to establish the identity of Nexus – the entity that provides the organisation’s members with their instructions. I have already conducted preliminary questioning of the prisoners and have acquired some significant facts.”

“I’m confident that this is the beginning of the end for the League of Reparation, and that the taskforce’s efforts will soon pay off.”

Alliance Inspector Killed by the League of Reparation

28 JUN 3304
Chief Inspector Kay Kilbride has been murdered by terrorist organisation the League of Reparation, along with four other agents of Alliance Interpol.

The incident took place in the city of New Rossyth on Turner’s World. A spokesperson for Interpol released a brief report:

“Chief Inspector Kilbride was acting on information that a League cell was operating from an abandoned foundry complex in New Rossyth. She led an assault team with the intention of capturing the terrorists. Preliminary forensics suggest that the entire complex was rigged with concealed explosives. Kilbride and four of her colleagues were killed instantly, with seven others injured.”

Kilbride was one of three founding members of the tri-superpower taskforce investigating the League of Reparation. The other two, Captain Niamh Seutonia and Senior Agent Tanya Ramirez, made a rare joint statement on behalf of the Imperial Internal Security Service and the Federal Intelligence Agency:

“This is a sad day. We have lost one of our greatest champions in the fight against terrorism. It’s clear that the Chief Inspector was personally targeted with misinformation designed to lure her into a trap – an act of retaliation for her recent successes against the League.”

“Although we mourn the loss of Inspector Kilbride, our work continues. Alliance Interpol has assigned Deputy Inspector Mara Klatt to assume the role of taskforce liaison. We look forward to working with her to eliminate this fanatical organisation.”

Deputy Inspector Klatt was unavailable for comment.

Week in Review
01 JUL 3304
Here are this week’s major stories.

Chief Inspector Kay Kilbride has been murdered by terrorist organisation the League of Reparation. The incident took place in the city of New Rossyth on Turner’s World. In the wake of Inspector Kilbride’s death, Alliance Interpol has assigned Deputy Inspector Mara Klatt to assume the role of taskforce liaison.

Major Victories against the League of Reparation

06 JUL 3304
A series of successful operations against the League of Reparation has led to much of the terrorist group being dismantled.

Captain Niamh Seutonia, a member of the tri-superpower taskforce investigating the League, released this statement:

“Over the last few days, Senior Agent Ramirez and I have led multiple raids against the League of Reparation. We interdicted several of their ships and located many outposts concealed within Imperial and Federal systems. The key to these victories was the decryption of their communications network.”

“Despite meeting fierce resistance, our security forces arrested or eliminated dozens of League members. In some cases, we acted just in time to prevent further murderous acts against those descended from members of the INRA.”

“We believe the League has been dealt a fatal blow, but we are still investigating how they gained access to top-level comms encryption and other restricted equipment, which suggests support from influential individuals. Furthermore, we have yet to identify Nexus, the organisation’s coordinator. We have many fresh leads, however, and expect further results soon.”

Milo Vesper, an editor for The Alliance Tribune, published this opinion piece:

“This may be great news for some, but what about our citizens? The taskforce should be hunting down these animals in the Alliance! We know they’re here, what with Admiral Buchanan at Lave and the trap they set for Chief Inspector Kilbride, whose bravery we will never forget. Why isn’t her replacement out there on raids too?”

Week In Review
08 JUL 3304

A series of successful operations against the League of Reparation has led to much of the terrorist group being dismantled. But while the group has been dealt a severe blow, agents have yet to identify the organisation’s coordinator, Nexus.

Alliance Admiral Detained

13 JUL 3304

A member of the Alliance Council of Admirals has been arrested by the taskforce investigating terrorist organisation the League of Reparation.

Admiral George Varma was confronted by Captain Niamh Seutonia and Senior Agent Tanya Ramirez during a meeting of admiralty staff at the Donaldson starport in Alioth. Despite protests, he was placed under arrest and escorted to a secure facility.

Captain Seutonia gave a brief statement to the media:

“We have been trying to determine how the League of Reparation gained access to military-issue weapons, equipment and encryption. We now have evidence that Admiral Varma was secretly redirecting cargo shipments from the Alliance Defence Force to terrorist cells. It’s highly likely that Varma is Nexus, the organisation’s coordinator, and we are proceeding on that assumption.”

The arrest has created diplomatic ripples, with Federal and Imperial ambassadors being summoned before the Alliance Assembly. Council member Jed Trager told The Alliance Tribune:

“For agents of the Federal Intelligence Agency and Imperial Internal Security Service to abduct an Alliance admiral is an egregious transgression. They will not get away with this.”

The Council of Admirals has called for an independent inquiry to verify the accusations levied at Admiral Varma. Prime Minister Edmund Mahon made a public statement:

“This has come as a great shock, but the body of evidence against Admiral Varma is considerable. I am confident that the trial will be fair, and that our own representative within the tri-superpower taskforce will ensure that justice is done.”

Week In Review
15 JUL 3304

Admiral George Varma of the Alliance Council of Admirals has been arrested by the taskforce investigating terrorist organisation the League of Reparation. Admiral Varma stands accused of redirecting cargo shipments from the Alliance Defence Force to terrorist cells. It is thought that Varma is the organisation’s coordinator, operating under the alias Nexus.

Identity of Nexus Confirmed

19 JUL 3304

Deputy Inspector Mara Klatt of Alliance Interpol has broken her silence regarding the League of Reparation.

At a special press conference, she made this announcement:

“Prior to her death at the hands of the League of Reparation, I worked closely with my predecessor Chief Inspector Kay Kilbride. She revealed how Fleet Admiral Buchanan’s assassination could only have been arranged by a senior figure within the Alliance Defence Force. She was patiently amassing evidence pertaining to this – a task that I inherited when she died.”

Hunt the League of Reparation
Community Goal
20 JUL 3304

A tri-superpower taskforce has launched a campaign to track down and eliminate members of terrorist group, the League of Reparation.

Captain Niamh Seutonia of the IISS, who is a prominent member of the taskforce, made this announcement:

“With the arrest of Riri McAllister, otherwise known as Nexus, we now hold the main coordinator of the League of Reparation in custody. Furthermore, decrypted information has revealed the location of League strongholds in two separate systems, one in Imperial and one in Federal space.”

“We are determined to eliminate these terrorists before they can wreak any more havoc, but fully expect tough resistance. Therefore we ask the galactic community to provide support in wiping out these dangerous extremists.”

The operation in Zibal will be coordinated by Zibal Power Co. Likewise, military action in Ienpalang will be supported by Ienpalang Corporation.

The campaign begins on the 19th of July 3304 and will run for one week. If the final target is met earlier than planned, the campaign will end immediately.

“Information decrypted from the League’s comms network has confirmed Kilbride’s suspicions. I can also confirm that the arrest of Admiral George Varma was due to false leads – misdirection on the part of Varma’s protégé within the Alliance Defence Force, Rear Admiral Riri McAllister.”

“Rear Admiral McAllister is Nexus, the League’s central coordinator. She has now been arrested and formally charged with conspiracy to commit terrorism. We have released Admiral Varma with our apologies.”

“The decrypted data has also revealed the location of two major League enclaves. The taskforce is organising an operation to eradicate these groups, which we hope will be supported by the galactic community.”

Council Member Jed Trager was also present at the conference, and remarked:

“We all owe a debt of gratitude to Inspector Klatt and the late Chief Inspector Kilbride. Thanks to their dedication, Nexus has at last been unmasked. Hopefully this marks the end of the League’s reign of terror.”

Week In Review
21 JUL 3304

Mara Klatt of Alliance Interpol has announced that Admiral George Varma, who was arrested last week on suspicion of working with terrorist organisation the League of Reparation, was in fact framed by Rear Admiral Riri McAllister. It is now believed that McAllister is Nexus, the League’s central coordinator.

League of Reparation Hunt Concludes
27 JUL 3304

The tri-power taskforce whose goal is to eradicate the League of Reparation has announced a successful conclusion to its recent campaign. Scores of pilots supported the taskforce by eliminating League terrorists in the Zibal and Ienpalang systems.

As the campaign drew to a close, Captain Niamh Seutonia had this to say:

“The League of Reparation put up a good fight, just what we’ve come to expect from these fanatics, but we prevailed in the end. With the aid of the galactic community, we have now taken a bold step in eradicating this terrorist organisation once and for all.”

Pilots who contributed to the initiative in the Zibal system can now collect their rewards from Hire Port. Pilots who contributed to the initiative in the Ienpalang system can now collect their rewards from Brundage City.

League of Reparation Eliminated

27 JUL 3304
The League of Reparation has been dismantled, according to the tri-superpower taskforce investigating the organisation.

Captain Niamh Seutonia of the Imperial Internal Security Service made this statement:

“Following the decryption of the League’s comms network, we have now arrested or eliminated every member of the organisation. The galactic community provided significant support by destroying the League’s strongholds in Federal and Imperial space. Thanks to their efforts, the League of Reparation has been defeated.”

Deputy Inspector Mara Klatt spoke to the media about Riri McAllister, now known to be Nexus, the League’s central coordinator:

“McAllister voluntarily revealed a surprising amount of information during questioning. It seems the League began building its forces a few years ago, recruiting misguided obsessives and mercenaries. They targeted INRA descendants to whom they could gain easy access, murdering dozens of innocent people.”

“After Commander Jameson’s ship was discovered, the League started targeting high-profile individuals and leaving the 'For Jameson' message. This was designed to generate exposure and spread terror to families with an INRA connection.”

“McAllister has confessed to being the original architect of the League. As for her motivation, she insists she is a direct descendant of Commander John Jameson, and that her duty was to avenge his death.”

“In fact, McAllister is registered as an orphan of unknown lineage, meaning that we cannot verify her claim. Our suspicion is that this is a long-held delusion or a product of a psychological disorder.”

Alliance Interpol later confirmed that McAllister had been charged with multiple terrorism-related crimes. Her trial will be held shortly.

Week in Review
28 JUL 3304

The League of Reparation has been dismantled, according to the tri-superpower taskforce investigating the organisation. The announcement followed a successful operation to remove League forces from two systems – one in Federal and one in Imperial space. Riri McAllister, the League’s central coordinator, has been charged with multiple terrorism-related crimes.

Riri McAllister Shot
03 AUG 3304

Former rear admiral Riri McAllister has been shot. She is currently undergoing medical treatment.

The incident took place at the Alliance Chamber of Justice on Turner’s World in the Alioth system. McAllister was on trial for organising acts of terrorism as Nexus, founder of the League of Reparation.

Deputy Inspector Mara Klatt, who was delivering prosecuting evidence at the trial, briefed the media:

“Shortly after McAllister took the stand she was struck by a single shot from the visitors’ gallery. She is now in intensive care and awaiting transport to an advanced medical facility. Assuming she recovers, the trial will continue at a later date.”

“The shooter has been identified as Polly Cartesius, daughter of Nestor Cartesius, an Imperial senator murdered by the League of Reparation. She used a concealed laser firearm specially designed to avoid security scans. She did not resist arrest, and it is clear that this was an act of revenge for her father’s death. As she is an Imperial citizen, we have extradited her to the care of the IISS.”

Polly Cartesius was last seen in public two weeks ago during her father’s ceremonial funeral, which saw his body entombed in the Hall of Martyrs beneath the Imperial Palace. It is thought that she travelled to Alliance space using false identification.

Captain Niamh Seutonia has taken Ms Cartesius into custody and returned with her to Capitol, where she will stand trial for attempted murder.

Week in Review
05 AUG 3304

Meanwhile, former rear admiral Riri McAllister has been shot. She is currently undergoing medical treatment. The incident took place at the Alliance Chamber of Justice on Turner’s World in the Alioth system. McAllister was on trial for organising acts of terrorism as Nexus, founder of the League of Reparation.

The Death of Nexus?
11 AUG 3304

A medical ship transporting the injured Riri McAllister has vanished and is presumed destroyed. Former rear admiral McAllister was on trial on Turner’s World for her crimes as Nexus, the founder of terrorist group the League of Reparation. After being shot by the daughter of the assassinated Senator Nestor Cartesius, McAllister was to be taken to an advanced medical facility.

Deputy Inspector Mara Klatt made this statement:

“Having lost contact with the vessel we despatched ships to its last known location. We found only debris, suggesting the ship was attacked and either vaporised or hijacked. Either way, we assume the transport’s crew to be dead.”

“This may have been another act of vengeance from those affected by the League’s fanaticism. Alternatively, someone connected to the League may have wanted to silence McAllister to prevent her from revealing information. It’s also plausible that this was a rescue mission, and that McAllister was liberated by surviving members of the League.”

“The League of Reparation is no longer considered a threat. As such, the tri-superpower taskforce formed to investigate them has been disbanded. Agents from Alliance Interpol, the Federal Intelligence Agency and the Imperial Internal Security Service have returned to their regular duties.”

“Meanwhile, Riri McAllister has been listed as missing rather than dead. Although her survival is unlikely, we cannot ignore the risk that the woman once known as Nexus may one day reappear to pursue her twisted beliefs.”

Is Mara Klatt an INRA supporter?
Klatt Enterprises is an abandoned INRA settlement on Alnath A 2 a a at 4.0279, 133.5280.
Which was the site of the first Mycoid experiments against the Thargoids.

Alliance Council Of Admirals.

Recent events have brought to light some names of Alliance Council of Admirals members.

Fleet Admiral Tulimaq Buchanan (deceased) INRA descendent , Lavian
Admiral George Varma (current) mentor of McAllister
Rear Admiral Riri McAllister (unknown/deceased) Lavian
Council Member Jed Trager (current)

Alliance Council of Admirals / Prime Minister's Office
· What is the current structure of the Council and how exactly does it interact with the Office of the Prime Minister for the Alliance?
Each Alliance Member State has a number of Council Members within the Alliance Assembly, based on the size of their respective populations. Some only have one. The Prime Minister is elected by the Members, and it is his or her job to corral them into some sort of consensus; generally a slow process. There is much less tradition than in the other powers, and processes within the Alliance Assembly are still subject to change – generally when arguments break out, as they frequently do. In practice the Alliance is largely run by Civil Servants – salaried officials that look after day to day running of the Alliance, generally not getting involved in the political struggles.
The Alliance Defence Force is run by the six member Council of Admirals, independently from the Council of Members, but reporting to it after the event, to facilitate rapid decision-making. Each of these Admirals is from a key contributing Navy.
· How are the PM, and Council members selected?
The PM is elected by the Council Members. Each Member State has slightly different electoral rules based on their history.
· Where, and in what manner, are each Alliance member system represented politically?
By their Council Member(s) in Parliament. Parliament is virtual, but run from Turner’s World in Alioth.
· Where exactly is the PM's Office & the Council located?
Garden City on Turner’s World in Alioth, close to the old industrial and ship-building city of New Rossyth.
· What is the length of the PM's term in office, and how long do members of the council serve?
In theory the Prime Minister is elected for six years, but disputes within the Assembly have meant that the PM often doesn’t make it that long. They can suffer votes against them, often resulting in resignation, or occasionally votes of not confidence. They can serve multiple terms, but none have manages to do so yet.
· How does the Council respond in terms of political representation, when a member system's Minor Faction flips?
If this happens within a Member State, then depending on the rules of that Member State it could change who represents them in the Assembly – but given that the Assembly rarely gets anything done, it is unlikely anyone will notice.
· What are the day to day responsibilities of the PM and members of the Council?
The Assembly represents their population. The Council of Admirals runs the Alliance Defence Force. The real power rests with the Civil Servants, and the Council of Admirals.

- Michael Bookes.

The wars in Lave.

[I'm still collating data]

Rubbernuke:
Mahon_Wut_copy_mine.png

Last edited:
Hello, I’m the lead editor at SAGi. I was the one who asked Allen to write this article, as part of a three-part series on each of the superpowers, each of which Allen wrote.

There are some worthwhile points above but also some focus possibly being misplaced. It seems there are two fundamental issues here: bias and legitimacy.

Several people have taken offence at perceived bias, which genuinely surprised me. We were unprepared by how much players would themselves directly identify as a fictional superpower so far as to take umbrage on its behalf.

To be blunt, Alliance-pledged players of Elite Dangerous do not equal the fictional political entity of ‘the Alliance’. They are different things, in the same way that the Imperial Senate is not made up of players who identify as Imperials. Frontier own these entities. The Alliance of Independent Systems is a lore entity - the groups of Pilots’ Federation members who fly under its banner are not the subject of this article. They aren’t mentioned and I don’t think an impartial observer would confuse the two.

So, the comment about the term ‘elected’ being “stretched somewhat” on some worlds was not an aspersion on player factions, just the fleshing-out of a fictional political landscape (which, as I’ll explain below, Allen is well-qualified to do). We wrote in the Empire version of this series that some worlds practice brutal slave labour that would be condemned on Achenar - this was not a dig at Imperial players. It’s a lore article, not a player-politics article.

It would be implausible to claim that any of the superpowers are perfect utopias. That doesn’t make it criticism of players’ actions; just fleshed-out lore. I would encourage you to read the other two articles in the Structure of a Superpower series, in the previous two issues of the magazine - hopefully you’ll see that they are similar in tone.

A lot of the criticism above seems to centre on Allen personally as the author and a founding member of Lave Radio. While well-qualified to write a piece like this, I do see how the choice of author might be inflammatory. I’ll just explain why I asked Allen to write it.

Many people may not know this, but Allen was actually retained by Frontier during the development of Elite Dangerous to work with Michael Brookes and the fiction team to create the lore of the three superpowers. World-building is his professional specialism, and his work for Frontier on Elite Dangerous ultimately formed his doctorate. This was separate to his book Lave Revolution, an official Elite novel.

As part of this, Allen was not only given great insight into David Braben’s and Michael Brookes’ thinking on the lore of the game, but contributed chunks of it himself. While he was undeniably part of a team (and I’ve never known him to claim ‘I wrote that’ about a particular facet of lore) he did without question help write the lore of the game, including that of the Alliance. He knows a formidable amount about it, some of which exists only in support documents and has not yet made it into the game itself.

It is true that that contract ended once that work was complete and that Allen no longer works with Frontier, but it is unreasonable to claim that this experience disqualifies him from writing about the game. Allen’s current writing is not lore, but it should be considered a well-informed interpretation of it.

However, I do see how, given the high emotions the Lave secession engendered, seeing Allen’s name and paragraphs about Lave on an article titled ‘The Alliance’ could put people on the defensive. It’s worth noting that Allen had ceased day-to-day involvement with Lave Radio by the time of the conflict - but I fully accept the association and it wasn’t something I considered when I asked him to write the series. Given that Allen helped write the lore itself, he was the obvious choice for a series of lore articles about the superpowers.

The point about ‘voting blocs’ was raised by a couple of people as illegitimate embellishment or ‘making up lore’. It’s worth pointing out that most legislatures form voting blocs - that’s just a characteristic of representative democracy. Delegates with shared interests vote similarly across issues that affect them, and become known for doing so. We see this in representative democracy everywhere and particularly in the EU, upon which the Alliance was modelled. Mentioning voting blocs is not an unforgivable overstep of embellishment; just a realistic description of how these assemblies work. It is just shorthand for ‘a group of systems who vote similarly on some issues’. The lore does not explicitly state that the delegates wear shoes when they vote, either - but it shouldn’t be considered loremongering to suggest that they do.

Similarly, representatives of economically-powerful or populous constituencies tend to wield outsize weight and find it easier to build consensus for their opinions. This is less ‘making up lore’ than a plausible prediction of how a legislature like the Alliance’s might operate.

The events mentioned in the article that take place after when Lave Revolution was set are consistent with the timeline which features as an addendum to Lave Revolution, an official novel.

We do try to guard against accusations of bias. We have four editors and two proofreaders, as well as a team of bias checkers. Every article is copy edited by two different editors and proof-read twice before it goes to the design team, then two or three times subsequently as the magazine takes shape. Seven or eight people were involved in the editing process for this piece, most of whom are unaffiliated with any superpower or Lave Radio, and none of them noticed bias in the piece. That’s not to say that bias wasn’t there — mistakes happen — but it isn’t reasonable to say that we didn’t guard against it, and I’d wager that impartial observers wouldn’t detect any. The paragraph on Lave is perhaps longer than it would have been from another writer, but Allen did write a book on the system, and it has by far more lore associated with it than any other system.

Our magazine is not lore — we try hard to stay within canon, which is why we don’t publish fan fiction. We always publish the ‘Frontier are not affiliated with this in any way’ disclaimer on the team page in the magazine.

It is true that several LR folks are on the SAGI team. We like them because they’re chilled out guys who don’t take life too seriously, and they like us because we like making media about the game they love as much as they do. There really is no agenda for or against any single group or power - you are welcome to visit our working server and comb the channels if you like.

However, I get that there is acrimony there. It was before my time and I don’t pretend to know much about the conflict, and it doesn’t come up in conversation either at Lave Radio or SAGi at all, so it’s not front-of-mind. But I do concede that people’s emotions run high when it comes to that.

The Lave Radio / SAGi connection is strong and mutually beneficial - I don’t think it makes us biased, but obviously that’s not a neutral opinion. Given the connection, I can’t claim that we’re perfectly neutral. I like to think we are but if the LR connection is an affiliation too far, I understand, and SAGi is possibly not the magazine for you. We can put ‘Partnered with Lave Radio’ or similar next to the Frontier disclaimer if this would help.

This is likely to always be a thorny topic. What we can do is be more alive to that fact and more sensitive as to who we ask to write which articles. As explained above, I don’t think there is a problem with the contents of the article itself or Allen’s authority to write it - but I do concede that the piece was planned without taking into account the sensitivity around it.

Hi Souvarine, thanks for your response. I take it you're glad about the feedback we provided, so I'm happy to comment some of your statements for further input.

To be blunt, Alliance-pledged players of Elite Dangerous do not equal the fictional political entity of ‘the Alliance’.

Being part of the ED community and the Alliance community in particular for over 4 years now, I'm pretty sure this isn't news to most of the people who participated in this thread. Many Alliance affiliated players (and especially the Mahon community from the early days of Powerplay) committed themselves to not speak for "the Alliance" or any fictional character from the official lore. The point is: We are still trying to shape the Alliance in-game as well as on the meta level of the game. While we can't expect Frontier to take our actions into consideration for further lore, an SAGi article about the Alliance "should" either stick with official lore ONLY or take into account how the Alliance has been shaped by many passionate players in the past 4.5 years. In the end it's your very own decision how to write an article, but again, I'd assume SAGi strives to publish high quality articles. You chose to take some parts of the official lore and be interpretive about it, and only add player content related to Lave. There's so much more about the Alliance, but I'll get back to that later.

It is true that that contract ended once that work was complete and that Allen no longer works with Frontier, but it is unreasonable to claim that this experience disqualifies him from writing about the game. Allen’s current writing is not lore, but it should be considered a well-informed interpretation of it.

That's exactly the point of my earlier post: Allen's words WILL be seen as "well-informed" information, i.e. facts. That's why I think he has some responsibility when writing about a topic like that. It's not about qualification but about reputation. And, as you admitted yourself, it's about bias.

The point about ‘voting blocs’ was raised by a couple of people as illegitimate embellishment or ‘making up lore’. It’s worth pointing out that most legislatures form voting blocs - that’s just a characteristic of representative democracy.

If voting blocs are so very normal that you'd compare it with wearing shoes, and you really don't see any controversy here, then why should those "shoes" be mentioned in the article in the first place? And not just once but three or four times. This explanation is rather implausible in my humble opinion, but I appreciate other opinions on this matter.

Similarly, representatives of economically-powerful or populous constituencies tend to wield outsize weight and find it easier to build consensus for their opinions. This is less ‘making up lore’ than a plausible prediction of how a legislature like the Alliance’s might operate.

True. Then again, there are way more economically-powerful or populous systems, factions or whatever you want to take for your measurement. The Alliance systems in the Lave cluster are still twice as populous and certainly way more economically-powerful. The are several systems or regions in Alliance space that are similar "superior" to Alioth. Of course Alioth is a very important system for the Alliance, but the dominance isn't covered by the current state of the game (which seems to influence parts of Allen's interpretation of the Alliance, see Lave).

The paragraph on Lave is perhaps longer than it would have been from another writer, but Allen did write a book on the system, and it has by far more lore associated with it than any other system.

That's absolutely right. But with Lave not even being an Alliance system anymore, why would it be so important for an article about the Alliance in 3305? I've said it before: There's so much more about the Alliance that sadly wasn't covered by the article. I'm aware that you got some limitations on article lengths and such, but in the light of a pretty large Lave paragraph and some made-up narratives that you call "plausible predictions", you must see why I'm disappointed by the missed opportunity to tell the real stories that have shaped the Alliance in its current state. Again, it's your magazine and I can't and don't want to tell you how to write your articles. I'm just offering hopefully constructive criticism.

We like [Lave Radio folks] because they’re chilled out guys who don’t take life too seriously, and they like us because we like making media about the game they love as much as they do.

One might take the first part of that sentence as a dig at those of us who complain about an article in a fictional magazine. I don't, because I simply love the game just like you and the Lave Radio folks do, which has nothing to do with "taking life too seriously". ;)

However, I get that there is acrimony there. It was before my time and I don’t pretend to know much about the conflict, and it doesn’t come up in conversation either at Lave Radio or SAGi at all, so it’s not front-of-mind. But I do concede that people’s emotions run high when it comes to that.

I don't think there has been many high running emotions around this issue. Personally, I just think SAGi can do better. So if you're not sure about a subject, just consider to get into contact with the guys who literally know the stuff you intend to write about. In this case, the Alliance community might have known stuff about the Alliance and could have offered some insight before publishing the article. It's obviously too late for that now, so here we are trying to help you do better next time, even if next time isn't Alliance related.

if the LR connection is an affiliation too far, I understand, and SAGi is possibly not the magazine for you.

That's just a sad thing to say. Nobody minds that there are LR folks within SAGi, it's just about the content that's being published. It's obvious that I'm not going to follow the magazine anymore if I think the content isn't good enough, but I'm not there yet. I'm sure you're willing to take my criticism and try to do better wherever possible. I really appreciate all the work you're putting into SAGi, that's why I thought you deserve to receive some feedback rather than people just complaining about your work in private and stop reading. But fortunately, Alliance players are usually quite active, communicative and reasonable.

Top Bottom