New Utility: Advanced Targetting Sensor.

Gimbled and turreted weapons have an accuracy issue at longer ranges due to their sway/jitter and the computer trying to compensate for movement, making them mostly useful at close range, even for larger ships. I propose a solution to this in the advanced targeting sensor. This sensor would be a utility mount that could do the following:

1. increase the accuracy of gimbled and turreted weapons.
2. increase the angle at which you can scan targets.
3. offer a hud indicator of where the target is in relation to your current facing.

This utility module could be effected by chaff as well as ecms, giving more reason to carry them.

• Chaff would still prevent gimbles and turrets from locking as before, regardless of the presence of this utility
  • ECMs would make the module lose its effectiveness entirely. the target indicator would disappear from the hud as well as causing weapons to have greater more sway and jitter than usual as the utility itself is being hindered directly.

As an added bonus or penalty if desired, this utility could track targets with low heat signatures, with ecm disruption along with silent running being the way to avoid tracking completely.

I made these proposals to both assist players who may have difficulties tracking targets and to shake up the meta of ECM being almost completely useless. Any feedback is welcome, I'd like to build a solution that is both viable and increases accessibility for pilots who find the radar to be a visual overload.

I like the idea of a utility mount or some other upgrade for increased gimbled/turreted accuracy.

A couple of things, though:

increase the angle at which you can scan targets.

Does the engineering upgrade for wide angle do this? I haven't implemented that, so I don't know. If so, your suggestion may already be an in-game feature.

offer a hud indicator of where the target is in relation to your current facing.

Your target location in relation to your location is already provided in the cockpit's scanner.

I like the idea of a utility mount or some other upgrade for increased gimbled/turreted accuracy.

A couple of things, though:

Does the engineering upgrade for wide angle do this? I haven't implemented that, so I don't know. If so, your suggestion may already be an in-game feature.

Your target location in relation to your location is already provided in the cockpit's scanner.
on a very busy radar. this is not very useful to visually challenged pilots like myself. I'd need to either filter the radar, which is unlikely to happen, or have this function. many older games with even more limitations than Elite had a form of arrow that points you toward your target. currently I use turrets on the nose of my ship to give myself that target tracking indicator that I need to play the game. This works fine for pve, however it keeps me from being even remotely able to enter open for fear of the inevitable pvp encounter that I will be unable to fight back in, even with a well engineered ship. This will be a convenience for some lesser skilled pilots, but for myself and others who have vision related disabilities, it's an accessibility feature.

Top Bottom